Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by HVDC »

Christianlee wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:42 am I do not understand why the Church didn’t say in the original statement, “We cannot support this bill unless it clearly supports the religious freedom rights of those who for religious reasons oppose same sex marriage.” Instead it seems to endorse the bill without specifically outlining what religious freedom provision is adequate. It is interesting that four supposedly conservative Utah Congressmen voted in favor of the original House bill which had no religious freedom provisions. I can’t believe they would have done that without at least some input from the Church. Most GOP House members voted against the original bill. Utah must be a mess on LGBQT issues now. The Church seems to be trying to appease the wrong side.
Because.

Someone in the leadership.

Is a double agent.

Playing the game of Let's Pretend.

Pretending to be a Conservative Member.

Kinda like a RINO.

Looks that way to me anyway.

Sir H

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

JandD6572 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 3:25 am So, reading through this, I noticed that the church stated that its doctrine "will"not change, that marriage is sacred and between a man and woman. awww, that's so nice, such a sweet backdrop to a wicked and sick world. still of all the things I have read, while the doctrine will not change, well, because as I have said before, it isn't their doctrine to change, I have yet to see anywhere, unless I've missed it, and if so, someone shows me where, but I have not seen one thing where the church says "it will "NOT" perform any same-sex marriages.
Technically, it's not doctrine either. That gives them an out, they claim it is a policy and subject to change as they become more enlightened. Just look at what happened from Monson to Nelson, they did a complete 180 on same-sex couples and their children, I'd imagine it is going to look similar with this too. SMH

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

JandD6572 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 3:25 am So, reading through this, I noticed that the church stated that its doctrine "will"not change, that marriage is sacred and between a man and woman. awww, that's so nice, such a sweet backdrop to a wicked and sick world. still of all the things I have read, while the doctrine will not change, well, because as I have said before, it isn't their doctrine to change, I have yet to see anywhere, unless I've missed it, and if so, someone shows me where, but I have not seen one thing where the church says "it will "NOT" perform any same-sex marriages.
This made me think of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. He's waking up a little bit but still very conflicted and trying to sort through everything. He told me that maybe there will be the policy face of the church and then the esoteric doctrinal side of the church. So maybe the church performs gay marriages, etc, but the members are encouraged to follow the Spirit, and those "in the know" will not partake in it.

I told him that if that were to become the paradigm, that it would be an abomination. Some people talk about the church as if it were an individual. The church can do nothing without an individual doing something. You can't act out the policy side of the institution without an individual having to compromise their integrity somewhere. Oh, they may rationalize, but I suspect "I was just following orders" will not hold the same weight in the presence of God.

The thing that troubles me is this friend of mine is fairly well-connect through family and other friends with not a few in church administrative corporate positions (one is the director of the diversity and inclusion committee at BYU) and higher quorum offices within the church. The way he asked his question was like he was running something he had heard by me and I feel he hoped that I'd agree and he'd get a little more sleep.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:06 pm
This made me think of a conversation I had with a friend the other day. He's waking up a little bit but still very conflicted and trying to sort through everything. He told me that maybe there will be the policy face of the church and then the esoteric doctrinal side of the church. So maybe the church performs gay marriages, etc, but the members are encouraged to follow the Spirit, and those "in the know" will not partake in it.

I told him that if that were to become the paradigm, that it would be an abomination. Some people talk about the church as if it were an individual. The church can do nothing without an individual doing something. You can't act out the policy side of the institution without an individual having to compromise their integrity somewhere. Oh, they may rationalize, but I suspect "I was just following orders" will not hold the same weight in the presence of God.

The thing that troubles me is this friend of mine is fairly well-connect through family and other friends with not a few in church administrative corporate positions (one is the director of the diversity and inclusion committee at BYU) and higher quorum offices within the church. The way he asked his question was like he was running something he had heard by me and I feel he hoped that I'd agree and he'd get a little more sleep.
Sleepless nights over things like this are a warning.

Gift from God as it were.

Sir H

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

HVDC wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:10 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:06 pm

Sleepless nights over things like this are a warning.

Gift from God as it were.

Sir H
Agreed. I know I've certainly been there.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

anonymous91 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:26 pm
Technically, it's not doctrine either. That gives them an out, they claim it is a policy and subject to change as they become more enlightened. Just look at what happened from Monson to Nelson, they did a complete 180 on same-sex couples and their children, I'd imagine it is going to look similar with this too. SMH
I know I've said it elsewhere and probably sound like a broken record, but I'm afraid that the strategic benefit to supporting all this legislation is so they'll have plausible deniability when they are compelled legally to change policy. It's possible they are deliberately painting themselves into a corner... or someone in a highly influential position is.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

I don’t believe those old men are running the Church right now anymore than Biden is in charge of the federal government. I wonder who really is.