Prophets Taking the Lord's Name in Vain

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Re: Prophets Taking the Lord's Name in Vain

Post by innocentoldguy »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:52 pm
innocentoldguy wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:38 pm
endlessismyname wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:28 pm
innocentoldguy wrote: November 28th, 2022, 12:30 pm

There are examples of doctors not honoring their oath, sure. Typically, they get sued and often they lose their medical licenses or have them severely limited (e.g., no longer have the right to perform surgeries). This isn't a ubiquitous problem though.

It's really not.

It doesn't even make the top 10, which are: heart disease, cancer, personal accidents, respiratory diseases, strokes, Alzheimer's, diabetes, pneumonia, kidney disease, suicide, in that order.

It's really not.

Did I say that? I remember saying that doctors are bound by hospital policies, government agencies, and medical licensure boards. Nice straw man though.

What advice? I just told you how the medical world works. You can whine about it all you like, but it won't alter the facts one iota.
“Over 250,000 people in the U.S. die each year because of medical errors, making it the third leading cause of death in this country behind heart disease and cancer, according to a Johns Hopkins study.”

Annnnd… on to the foes list you go.
The CDC says otherwise. What can you do?
No intelligent person, meaning anyone with an IQ over 80, believes anything the CDC says at this point. The lies they have told us over the past few years are numerous, blatant, and dangerous.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just pointing out the facts as the currently stand. I don't trust John Hopkins either, since they put out a study in support of Remdesivir, which other studies have concluded kills people. There's too much government money and politicking going on in various scientific fields, so it's impossible to know what is actually true.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

innocentoldguy wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:36 pm
endlessismyname wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:28 pm

“Over 250,000 people in the U.S. die each year because of medical errors, making it the third leading cause of death in this country behind heart disease and cancer, according to a Johns Hopkins study.”

Annnnd… on to the foes list you go.
No intelligent person, meaning anyone with an IQ over 80, believes anything the CDC says at this point. The lies they have told us over the past few years are numerous, blatant, and dangerous.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just pointing out the facts as the currently stand. I don't trust John Hopkins either, since they put out a study in support of Remdesivir, which other studies have concluded kills people. There's too much government money and politicking going on in various scientific fields, so it's impossible to know what is actually true.
It’s not impossible. God can reveal truth to each and every one of His children.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:57 pm
innocentoldguy wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:36 pm

It’s not impossible. God can reveal truth to each and every one of His children.
And he reveals the fulness of truth via his prophets. That is the pattern he himself repeatedly prescribes throughout the scriptures. You cannot find Christ and obtain exhalation while reviling his prophets any more than you can successfully navigate your car to your destination while eschewing the steering wheel. What you're suggesting is our modern day Tower of Babel. It's the empty hope that you can get to your desired destination while eschewing Christ's narrow path.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

innocentoldguy wrote: November 27th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Atrasado wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:11 am
innocentoldguy wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:06 am
Atrasado wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:25 pm
You were a system administrator in the early 90s? I've been involved in the IT field for 20 years and if it has been 30 years since you worked in it you don't know how to do it anymore. At all. Even a little. It changes every year. Within three years your skills are outdated and within five years are mostly irrelevant.

Same with being a doctor. Things change all the time.
Interesting take. Maybe you could give some examples of how much things like workstations, DNS, TCP/IP, VPNs, Unix, printers, firewalls, switches, cables, cooling, security, etc. have fundamentally morphed into something else. Then, go ahead and illustrate how much anatomy, physiology, cardiology, surgery, and especially the process of reading medical advice from government agencies has fundamentally changed, since that's what we're actually talking about here. Small things change, yes, but the foundations of both disciplines stay relatively the same and those with the experience and aptitude for it have a pretty easy time jumping in after years away.
I thought you might say that. Sure, mapping printers using IP addresses is the same and I'm sure a lot of Unix commands are the same, but almost nothing else is. 30 years ago people were still using NetWare to network and were programming with C and pascal. Now almost everything lives in the cloud, most programming is for the web and people use who knows what language to program--there's about fifty of them. And if you don't know how to use AWS then it's nearly impossible to be a high level system admin. Thirty years ago Cisco had been in business for eight years and Windows NT hadn't even been released. Nowadays, AI is an everyday part of life in many IT functions and it wasn't even a real thing back then.

I've been out of the IT world for eight years, but I stay tangentially involved through my day job at BYUI. I can tell you from my observations in working on IT classes that I would be lost, for the most part, just eight years later. Sure, it helps that I was in the field, and you sound like you were operating at a much higher level than I was in the IT field, so I have no doubt you would pick things up faster than I would, but I think it would be almost like starting over if I wanted to get back in and I can't imagine it would be too different for you.

In the medical field, over 1 million papers get published every year. Many of those aren't that important, but a large amount of them are. Since President Nelson last practiced in 1984 the amount of change is astounding. There are different protocols, robotic surgery, orthoscopic surgery, new medicine, and now mRNA therapy. When President Nelson finished his PhD program Rosamund Franklin and Crick and Watson were barely starting their seminal work on DNA and we know so much more about the inner workings of cells than 38 years ago I don't know where to begin.

Yes, things change quickly.
IP addresses are the same, TCP/IP has been around since the 70s, DNS has been around since the 80s, if you know how to write code in C, C++, Lisp, Python, and Pascal (all of which were around in the early 90s and all of which I've used professionally), you can easily figure out most other languages, the OSI model has morphed into the simpler "internet models" though it is still around too, SQL is pretty much the same, Normal Forms for relational data are still relatively the same, Unix has improved but isn't much different than it was in the 90s, web programming has become a lot MORE accessible than it was in the 90s, etc. We've gone from 16-bit CPUs to 64-bit multi-core CPUs, but the way you interact with registers, memory, etc. is still similar. Yes, things change on the surface, but the fundamentals are still pretty much the same, and if you understand them, picking up new information is easy.

If you'd like me to prove that professionals don't lose it all in 30 years, pick any popular, modern-day language that didn't exist in the early 90s (e.g., Elixir, Clojure, Crystal, etc.), pick a simple task you'd like me to do, like reading data from a public API (which wasn't a thing in the early 90s), and I'll post my code.

Also, this discussion is about the fundamentals of immunology, which haven't changed, and President Nelson's receiving and understanding information from the CDC, AMA, WHO, and other authoritative sources. The tech equivalent would be writing a "Hello, world!" program or pinging an IP address, wouldn't it? Have public statements by governmental or medical entities become indecipherable during the past 30 years? I have a friend in his mid 80s who still practices as a plastic surgeon https://fairbanksplasticsurgery.com and his take-aways regarding the China Virus vaccines are identical to President Nelson's, because that's the training they both received.

I'm not sure why this is such a point of contention. It seems pretty obvious and reasonable to me.
I've been in informations systems and technology for over 30 years and I'm still in it as a professional/practitioner. You make some very good points. In fact, I've noticed that those with a firm grasp of the underlying fundamentals, the principles and patterns, (underlying models, protocols, etc) have a much easier time picking up on the latest implementations and practices. Some even observe how many of the new trends are old methodologies, just rebranded. Anyone notice how certain cloud platforms/"services" resemble mainframe from the perspective of pattern, just rebranded; but are actually still very distributed under the hood? Abstraction and facade are big players these days.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: November 28th, 2022, 4:19 pm
innocentoldguy wrote: November 27th, 2022, 8:07 pm
Atrasado wrote: November 25th, 2022, 10:11 am
innocentoldguy wrote: November 25th, 2022, 1:06 am

Interesting take. Maybe you could give some examples of how much things like workstations, DNS, TCP/IP, VPNs, Unix, printers, firewalls, switches, cables, cooling, security, etc. have fundamentally morphed into something else. Then, go ahead and illustrate how much anatomy, physiology, cardiology, surgery, and especially the process of reading medical advice from government agencies has fundamentally changed, since that's what we're actually talking about here. Small things change, yes, but the foundations of both disciplines stay relatively the same and those with the experience and aptitude for it have a pretty easy time jumping in after years away.
I thought you might say that. Sure, mapping printers using IP addresses is the same and I'm sure a lot of Unix commands are the same, but almost nothing else is. 30 years ago people were still using NetWare to network and were programming with C and pascal. Now almost everything lives in the cloud, most programming is for the web and people use who knows what language to program--there's about fifty of them. And if you don't know how to use AWS then it's nearly impossible to be a high level system admin. Thirty years ago Cisco had been in business for eight years and Windows NT hadn't even been released. Nowadays, AI is an everyday part of life in many IT functions and it wasn't even a real thing back then.

I've been out of the IT world for eight years, but I stay tangentially involved through my day job at BYUI. I can tell you from my observations in working on IT classes that I would be lost, for the most part, just eight years later. Sure, it helps that I was in the field, and you sound like you were operating at a much higher level than I was in the IT field, so I have no doubt you would pick things up faster than I would, but I think it would be almost like starting over if I wanted to get back in and I can't imagine it would be too different for you.

In the medical field, over 1 million papers get published every year. Many of those aren't that important, but a large amount of them are. Since President Nelson last practiced in 1984 the amount of change is astounding. There are different protocols, robotic surgery, orthoscopic surgery, new medicine, and now mRNA therapy. When President Nelson finished his PhD program Rosamund Franklin and Crick and Watson were barely starting their seminal work on DNA and we know so much more about the inner workings of cells than 38 years ago I don't know where to begin.

Yes, things change quickly.
IP addresses are the same, TCP/IP has been around since the 70s, DNS has been around since the 80s, if you know how to write code in C, C++, Lisp, Python, and Pascal (all of which were around in the early 90s and all of which I've used professionally), you can easily figure out most other languages, the OSI model has morphed into the simpler "internet models" though it is still around too, SQL is pretty much the same, Normal Forms for relational data are still relatively the same, Unix has improved but isn't much different than it was in the 90s, web programming has become a lot MORE accessible than it was in the 90s, etc. We've gone from 16-bit CPUs to 64-bit multi-core CPUs, but the way you interact with registers, memory, etc. is still similar. Yes, things change on the surface, but the fundamentals are still pretty much the same, and if you understand them, picking up new information is easy.

If you'd like me to prove that professionals don't lose it all in 30 years, pick any popular, modern-day language that didn't exist in the early 90s (e.g., Elixir, Clojure, Crystal, etc.), pick a simple task you'd like me to do, like reading data from a public API (which wasn't a thing in the early 90s), and I'll post my code.

Also, this discussion is about the fundamentals of immunology, which haven't changed, and President Nelson's receiving and understanding information from the CDC, AMA, WHO, and other authoritative sources. The tech equivalent would be writing a "Hello, world!" program or pinging an IP address, wouldn't it? Have public statements by governmental or medical entities become indecipherable during the past 30 years? I have a friend in his mid 80s who still practices as a plastic surgeon https://fairbanksplasticsurgery.com and his take-aways regarding the China Virus vaccines are identical to President Nelson's, because that's the training they both received.

I'm not sure why this is such a point of contention. It seems pretty obvious and reasonable to me.
I've been in informations systems and technology for over 30 years and I'm still in it as a professional/practitioner. You make some very good points. In fact, I've noticed that those with a firm grasp of the underlying fundamentals, the principles and patterns, (underlying models, protocols, etc) have a much easier time picking up on the latest implementations and practices. Some even observe how many of the new trends are old methodologies, just rebranded. Anyone notice how certain cloud platforms/"services" resemble mainframe from the perspective of pattern, just rebranded; but are actually still very distributed under the hood? Abstraction and facade are big players these days.
Yep.