Joseph Smiths Dream

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
dennis
captain of 1,000

Joseph Smiths Dream

Post by dennis »

Joseph Smith Dream of the Farm

“I was back in Kirtland, Ohio, and thought I would take a walk out by myself, and view my old farm, which I found grown up with weeds and brambles, and altogether bearing evidence of neglect and want of culture. I went into the barn which I found without floor or doors, with the weather boarding off, and was altogether in keeping with the farm. While I viewed the desolation around me, and was contemplating how it might be recovered from the curse upon it, there came rushing into the barn a company of furious men, who commenced to pick a quarrel with me. The leader of the party ordered me to leave the barn and the​ farm, stating it was none of mine, and that I must give up all hope of ever possessing it. I told him the farm was given me by the Church, and although I had not had any use of it for some time back, still I had not sold it, and according to righteous principles it belonged to me or the Church. He then grew furious, and began to rail upon me and threaten me, and said it never did belong to me nor the Church. I then told him that I did not think it worth contending about; that I had no desire to live upon it in its present state, and if he thought he had a better right I would not quarrel with him about it, but leave; but my assurance that I would not trouble him at present did not seem to satisfy him, as he seemed determined to quarrel with me, and threatened me with the destruction of my body. While he was thus engaged, pouring out his bitter words upon me, a rabble rushed in and nearly filled the barn, drew out their knives, and began to quarrel among themselves for the premises; and for a moment forgot me, at which time I took the opportunity to walk out of the barn about up to my ankles in mud. When I was a little distance from the barn I heard them screeching and screaming in a very distressed manner, as it appeared they had engaged in a general fight with their knives. While they were thus engaged the dream or vision ended”

dennis
captain of 1,000

Re: Joseph Smiths Dream

Post by dennis »

Joseph Smith Dream of the Steamboat #2

“While I was at Jordan’s in Iowa the other night, I dreamed that myself and my brother Hyrum went on board a steamboat lying in a small bay, near the great ocean. Shortly after we went on board there was an alarm of fire, and I discovered that the boat had been anchored some distance from the shore, out in the bay, and that an escape from the fire, in the confusion, appeared hazardous: but, as delay was folly, Hyrum and I jumped overboard…On looking towards the burning boat in the east, we saw that it was drifting towards the wharf and the town, with a great flame and clouds of smoke; and, as if by whirlwind, the town was taking fire, too, so that the scene of destruction and horror of the frightened inhabitants were terrible. We proceeded on the bosom of the mighty deep and were soon out of sight of land. The ocean was still; the rays of the sun were bright and we forgot all the troubles of our mother earth. Just at that moment I heard the sound of a human voice, and turning around, saw my brother Samuel approaching towards us from the east. We stopped and he came up. After a moment’s conversation he informed me that he had been lonesome back there, and he had made up his mind to go with me across the mighty deep. We all started again, and in a short time were blest with the first sight of a city, whose gold and silver steeples and towers were more beautiful than any I had ever seen or heard of on earth. It stood, as it were, upon the western shore of the mighty deep we were walking on, and its order and glory seemed far beyond the wisdom of man. While we were gazing upon the perfection of the city a small boat launched off from the port, and, almost as quick as thought, came to us. In an instant they took us on board and saluted us with a welcome, and with music such as is not on earth. The next scene, on landing, was more than I can describe; the greeting of old friends, the music from a thousand towers, and the light of God Himself at the return of three of His sons, soothed my soul into quiet and a joy that I felt as if I was truly in heaven. I gazed upon the splendor; I greeted my friends. I awoke, and lo, it was a dream.”

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Joseph Smith Dream of the Steamboat #1

“I was standing on a peninsula, in the midst of a vast body of water where there appeared to be a large harbor or pier built out for boats to come to. I was surrounded by my friends, and while looking at this harbor I saw a steamboat approaching the harbor. There were bridges on the pier for persons to cross, and there came up a wind and drove the steamboat under one of the bridges and upset it. I ran up to the boat, expecting the persons would all drown; and wishing to do something to assist them, I put my hand against the side of the boat, and with one surge I shoved it under the bridge and righted it up, and then told them to take care of themselves. But it was not long before I saw them starting out into the channel or main body of the water again. The storms were raging and the waters rough. I said to my friends that if they did not understand the signs of the times and the spirit of prophecy, they would be apt to be lost. It was but a few moments after when we saw the waves break over the boat, and she soon foundered and went down with all on board.

The storm and waters were still very rough; yet I told my friends around me that I believed I could stem those waves and that storm, and swim in the waters better than the steamboat did; at any rate I was determined to try it. But my friends laughed at me, and told me I could not stand at all, but would be drowned. The waters looked clear and beautiful, though exceedingly rough; and I said I believed I could swim, and I would try it anyhow. They said I would drown. I said I would have a frolic in the water first, if I did; and I drove off in the raging waves. I had swam but a short distance when a towering wave overwhelmed me for a time; but I soon found myself on the top of it, and soon I met the second wave in the same way; and for a while I struggled hard to live in the midst of the storm and waves, and soon found I gained upon every wave, and skimmed the torrent better; and I soon had power to swim with my head out of water: so the waves did not break over me at all, and I found that I had swam a great distance; and in looking about, I saw my brother Samuel by my side. I asked him how he liked it. He said, “First rate,” and I thought so too. I was soon enabled to swim with my head and shoulders out of water, and I could swim as fast as any steamboat. In a little time it became calm, and I could rush through the water, and only go in to my loins, and soon I only went in to my knees, and finally could tread on the top of the water, and went almost with the speed of an arrow. I said to Samuel, See how swift I can go! I thought it was great sport and pleasure to travel with such speed, and I awoke

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I have always wondered but have always been afraid to ask. How were these dreams documented? The barn one happened days before he died, right? Did he personally write that dream down or did he tell someone about the dream and they wrote it?

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

I expound JS last dream, the farm one, near the ending of this recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV80ZsN ... n&index=28

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

SJR3t2 wrote: November 26th, 2022, 8:09 pm I expound JS last dream, the farm one, near the ending of this recording.
It's 4 hours and 47 minutes. What does near the end mean, lol.

You're Steve, right? Hence the SJR initials in your username.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

There is not much meaning hidden in the steamboat dreams, but the farm dream seems to be about Joseph's return when he tries to reclaim what is his and the different restoration branches deny him what is his birthright or try to.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

BuriedTartaria wrote: November 25th, 2022, 2:07 pm I have always wondered but have always been afraid to ask. How were these dreams documented? The barn one happened days before he died, right? Did he personally write that dream down or did he tell someone about the dream and they wrote it?
I thought he recorded his dream of the farm in his journal. Could be wrong. It is the last few pages of Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I put down a few of my thoughts on Joseph's last dreams:
https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/josephs-last-dreams

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:49 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: November 26th, 2022, 8:09 pm I expound JS last dream, the farm one, near the ending of this recording.
It's 4 hours and 47 minutes. What does near the end mean, lol.

You're Steve, right? Hence the SJR initials in your username.
The expounding is near the end, I think around the 1 hour mark before the end. In a like manner what does soon mean in the scriptures :-)