Solar panels with grid tie

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Solar panels with grid tie

Post by Bronco73idi »

I figured that this would fit in the area because I’m contemplating a solar system to help during what ever the government has planned for agenda 2030. We saw what they did for agenda 21.

I’m in Oregon. 9.6kw should cover 50-70% of my use depending on the season. 9.6kw should be more then enough with a few car batteries to run the bare minimum.

We had a door to door guy stop by and offered a 9.6kw system for 42k financed or 35k cash. After rebates 28k or 22k

Tesla solar for 9.6kw installed is $21,312 and after rebates is $13,868. I could upgrade to a powerwall at $12,500 extra, $33k and $22k after rebates with powerwall.

I think the Tesla system is worth it, any opinions here?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Solar panels with grid tie

Post by Fred »

Bronco73idi wrote: October 12th, 2022, 8:43 pm I figured that this would fit in the area because I’m contemplating a solar system to help during what ever the government has planned for agenda 2030. We saw what they did for agenda 21.

I’m in Oregon. 9.6kw should cover 50-70% of my use depending on the season. 9.6kw should be more then enough with a few car batteries to run the bare minimum.

We had a door to door guy stop by and offered a 9.6kw system for 42k financed or 35k cash. After rebates 28k or 22k

Tesla solar for 9.6kw installed is $21,312 and after rebates is $13,868. I could upgrade to a powerwall at $12,500 extra, $33k and $22k after rebates with powerwall.

Solar is a good idea. Far cheaper, and more dependable than the grid. The question that I have for you is why in the hell would you want to allow wires from a utility that gives them a right of way to enter your property day or night without a warrant? Their wires would serve no purpose. With the system you describe, the utility can only hang their head in shame as they have nothing of benefit to offer.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Fred wrote: October 12th, 2022, 9:45 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: October 12th, 2022, 8:43 pm I figured that this would fit in the area because I’m contemplating a solar system to help during what ever the government has planned for agenda 2030. We saw what they did for agenda 21.

Solar is a good idea. Far cheaper, and more dependable than the grid. The question that I have for you is why in the hell would you want to allow wires from a utility that gives them a right of way to enter your property day or night without a warrant? Their wires would serve no purpose. With the system you describe, the utility can only hang their head in shame as they have nothing of benefit to offer.
I’m on the grid, I’m in a cul-de-sac 😂

I can pull the meter off if I want. I’ll never go smart home or t-stat.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Bronco73idi wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm

I had to laugh at a lady in Salt Lake that paid Rocky Mountain near $30k to put solar panels on her roof and a grid-tie inverter. I asked her where her batteries were? She doesn't have any. I asked her what happens when the power goes out? She said that Rocky Mountain Power was her backup. Pretty stupid, huh?

Electricity over a lifetime is well over a quarter of a million dollars with a bill even after death. $30k can buy a nice system with batteries that only goes off when you turn it off. As has been mentioned in other threads, you can actually do it even far cheaper than that. Batteries last over 20 years when a good state of charge is maintained. Solar panels have no moving parts and so last forever. They do degrade a bit over time, but with minimal maintenance, a system is perpetual.

Good luck with the cul de sac. Pretty hard to defend. No place to store much. Kind of like an apartment. Gordon Hinckley called apartments, filing cabinets. I gave my grand kids a boat and my daughter made them sell it as it took up too much space in the yard.

I have neighbors that considered connecting to the grid. One has power lines that cross his property already going to an oil well up the road, and they still wanted $15k to connect. Another neighbor was told it would be $30k to connect. They charge a premium for a service with no guarantees and charge ten times what it costs to do it yourself.

Today, I sold 2 300 watt panels to a guy a half hour away. Now he can run his freezer 24/7. Some people have cheap little systems they bought at Harbor Freight. No utility bill though and they can increase it as they can afford it.

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

I am grid tie with 8kW solar and 27kW battery ( 2x Tesla powerwall).
Covers half my annual useage.
Best thing we ever did. Basically trading cash capital for monthly run time expences.
Part of my prepping plan.
Solar without local storage is not worth it.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Fred wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:51 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm

I had to laugh at a lady in Salt Lake that paid Rocky Mountain near $30k to put solar panels on her roof and a grid-tie inverter. I asked her where her batteries were? She doesn't have any. I asked her what happens when the power goes out? She said that Rocky Mountain Power was her backup. Pretty stupid, huh?

Electricity over a lifetime is well over a quarter of a million dollars with a bill even after death. $30k can buy a nice system with batteries that only goes off when you turn it off. As has been mentioned in other threads, you can actually do it even far cheaper than that. Batteries last over 20 years when a good state of charge is maintained. Solar panels have no moving parts and so last forever. They do degrade a bit over time, but with minimal maintenance, a system is perpetual.

Good luck with the cul de sac. Pretty hard to defend. No place to store much. Kind of like an apartment. Gordon Hinckley called apartments, filing cabinets. I gave my grand kids a boat and my daughter made them sell it as it took up too much space in the yard.

I have neighbors that considered connecting to the grid. One has power lines that cross his property already going to an oil well up the road, and they still wanted $15k to connect. Another neighbor was told it would be $30k to connect. They charge a premium for a service with no guarantees and charge ten times what it costs to do it yourself.

Today, I sold 2 300 watt panels to a guy a half hour away. Now he can run his freezer 24/7. Some people have cheap little systems they bought at Harbor Freight. No utility bill though and they can increase it as they can afford it.
I have 1/3 of an acre with a shop that has a lift that I built, I’ll be fine. I thought of doing my own solar but Tesla kit installed is hard to compete with.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

scottja wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:55 pm I am grid tie with 8kW solar and 27kW battery ( 2x Tesla powerwall).
Covers half my annual useage.
Best thing we ever did. Basically trading cash capital for monthly run time expences.
Part of my prepping plan.
Solar without local storage is not worth it.
Being that the 8kw is half of your use do you get use out of batteries? I was thinking of 1 battery, would you get more?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

My sister hasn't seen any benefit to the UP&L solar install with no batteries on her roof - she's had the system for 10 years. I'd avoid that set up.

I have 24 @ 200W panels in my shed I got for the price of shipping ($300). I'd like to install them on the garage roof I haven't built yet. I'm reserving some space in my electric panel for a tie in. Also going to install a few hundred gallon water tank in the attic of the garage - would like to have a back-up gravity fed water supply for at least the 1st floor of the house.

But eventually, you'll have to replace the solar panels, so I built my home with energy efficiency as the goal - E-W sloping roof (instead of N-S - reduces solar gain); pier foundation with open crawl space (air flow helps keep home cool during our hot/humid summers); planning for a wrap around porch (reduces solar gain through walls); wood stove centrally located (looking into how to attach hot water line to the back of the stove); r-38 roof (r32 required); and don't forget the thermal mass of 300,000 lbs of logs....

point being: to not need much electricity, and since HVAC uses the most electricity, reduce the use of it. Once you take care of those 50 Amps, you can easily take care of other power needs with LED lights, your refrigerator, etc.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I have no clue about solar panels. I would like to put one in my garage. I have a nice south facing window. Harbor Freight has Solar Panels for about $100. If I buy one what else do I need to hook it up to heat my garage?

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

I don't know much about solar systems, however my sister (lives in Wisconsin) has one on her house. Her greatest regret was not installing battery backup if the grid went down, as her system is tied directly to the electrical grid. So if the grid goes down, she has no power to her house.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

OCDMOM wrote: November 18th, 2022, 11:27 am I have no clue about solar panels. I would like to put one in my garage. I have a nice south facing window. Harbor Freight has Solar Panels for about $100. If I buy one what else do I need to hook it up to heat my garage?
You might do better to find some standard solar panels on "facebook marketplace" - I've seen some 200W panels on there for pretty cheap lately.

You will also need:

- inverter (harbor freight)
- deep cycle battery(s)
- charge controller (harbor freight)
- nuts and bolts and wire.

PatriotMom
Hi, I'm new.

Post by PatriotMom »

Can anyone direct me to a reasonable company or installer who can advise/install solar at my home with battery bank? I am in east Texas. Thanks!

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

PatriotMom wrote: November 26th, 2022, 11:13 pm Can anyone direct me to a reasonable company or installer who can advise/install solar at my home with battery bank? I am in east Texas. Thanks!
I googled solar installer east texas
There was 1.5 million results.
Take your pick...

PatriotMom
Hi, I'm new.

Post by PatriotMom »

Unfortunately they only install solar into the grid. I am looking to have a battery bank and be completely off grid if necessary those companies are hard to find.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

PatriotMom wrote: November 27th, 2022, 5:52 pm Unfortunately they only install solar into the grid. I am looking to have a battery bank and be completely off grid if necessary those companies are hard to find.
A solar system is about as complicated as a flashlight. Connect the batteries to the light and it works. Charge the batteries with solar panels. Use a charge controller so as to not overcharge them. Add batteries and panels as necessary.

Ready to go solar like this one https://us.oukitel.com/products/oukitel ... 4307750135 will not run your home all night, but will supply power until the batteries go dead. Add more batteries to fix that. Add more panels to keep the extra batteries charged.

This likely adequate if you don't heat or cool with electricity, including fridges and freezers.

Use a swamp cooler and propane for heat and cooking.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

If you're going to go with solar panels, I would go with the Enphase system over Tesla. Tesla uses a string system and Enphase uses micro inverters. The problem with string-based systems is that shade on one solar panel or the loss of one solar panel can diminish or take down the entire system. The Enphase system uses micro inverters on each solar panel, so if one panel gets covered or goes out, the rest of the system will keep producing power. Neither of these systems will work in a power outage though unless you get a battery backup system to go along with it.

If you're just looking to keep your power on during an outage, a natural gas generator is a much cheaper option. It kicks on whenever the power goes out and keeps your house running.

There are advantages to a solar system. For example, my Tesla only costs me around $8 a month to drive (it would be around $50 a month without solar panels). My total electric bill every month is around $15. This is really nice now, but the up-front cost was pretty high. My solar/battery setup cost me around $90k before rebates, whereas you can get a natural gas generator for around $5,000.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

innocentoldguy wrote: November 28th, 2022, 1:14 am

If you're going to go with solar panels, I would go with the Enphase system over Tesla. Tesla uses a string system and Enphase uses micro inverters. The problem with string-based systems is that shade on one solar panel or the loss of one solar panel can diminish or take down the entire system. The Enphase system uses micro inverters on each solar panel, so if one panel gets covered or goes out, the rest of the system will keep producing power. Neither of these systems will work in a power outage though unless you get a battery backup system to go along with it.

If you're just looking to keep your power on during an outage, a natural gas generator is a much cheaper option. It kicks on whenever the power goes out and keeps your house running.

There are advantages to a solar system. For example, my Tesla only costs me around $8 a month to drive (it would be around $50 a month without solar panels). My total electric bill every month is around $15. This is really nice now, but the up-front cost was pretty high. My solar/battery setup cost me around $90k before rebates, whereas you can get a natural gas generator for around $5,000.
I agree with the enphase micro inverters. Biggest reason I didn’t take the plunge with Tesla.

My wife and I will probably sign this week, after 6 quotes I found a reasonable option. 10.4kw, IQ8M enphase and Q Cell Q Peak 400 watt all black panels, installed at $28,400, after rebates that we qualify for, $22,900 and then in 2023 tax filing I would qualify for another $6,870 as part of my refund, if I have that much in liability to the federal government, which I always do.

As for batteries, I plan on going with x4 5.12kw (20.4kw) SOK 48 vdc batteries and 2 Victron 3k watt inverter. That will cost another $10,000 which is a lot cheaper then power walls, I would need 3 power walls to compete with this.