World cup

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: World cup

Post by Robin Hood »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:48 am
Niemand wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:26 am
Robin Hood wrote: November 26th, 2022, 7:41 am
ransomme wrote: November 26th, 2022, 3:07 am For open free flowing sports like soccer, rugby, etc. Basketball is superior.
I watched a basketball game on the TV at the gym a while back.
This is how it went:
Team A had the ball, went up the court and scored a basket.
Then:
Team B had the ball, went up the court and scored a basket.

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

What a pointless exercise (though there were lots of points of course... too many). Basketball has got to be one of the most ridiculous games ever devised.
I dunno, have you seen netball? I used to watch it at school, and it wasn't for the gameplay.
I can really appreciate sport of basketball, so I had to look up this 'netball' thing. Sounds kinda like basketball; except no dribbling, no bouncing, no running with the ball, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball
Yep. One was devised from the other.
Don't know which came first. But netball is a girls game, so very similar to basketball in that respect. ;)

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

ransomme wrote: November 26th, 2022, 3:07 am For open free flowing sports like soccer, rugby, etc. Basketball is superior.
This is how it went:
Then:

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

What a pointless exercise (though there were lots of points of course... too many). Basketball has got to be one of the most ridiculous games ever devised.
Lol, I'd rather watch people succeed than struggle to even have a shot on goal. That's like watching an exercise of futility.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221126-210717.jpg
Screenshot_20221126-210717.jpg (346.01 KiB) Viewed 466 times

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Argentina and Mexico going on right now.

If Mexico somehow defeats Argentina, Argentina will be eliminated.

If Argentina wins, Mexico will need to defeat Saudi Arabia and hope that Argentina defeats Poland, who won earlier vs Saudi Arabia by a scoreline of 2-0.

If a draw results, Mexico is in if they beat Saudi Arabia by any score, but they have to beat them. Argentina would have to defeat Poland by at least two goals to enter.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Vamos Argentina!!

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 12:39 pm Vamos Argentina!!
All level at half. Both teams playing pathetically. Neither deserve to advance.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Subcomandante wrote: November 26th, 2022, 12:57 pm
I'm tuned in as well. Argentina has not been playing convincingly at all, so far.... Mexico neither, but I expect more from a 'power' like Argentina and Messi.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Free kick! Let's gooooooooo

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:11 pm
Weak, weak....

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:12 pm
Weak, weak....
Pero daleeeeeeee vamos

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:23 pm

Weak, weak....
Pero daleeeeeeee vamos
Goooooooooooooooooooooool Messi😁

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:25 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:23 pm

Weak, weak....
Pero daleeeeeeee vamos
Goooooooooooooooooooooool Messi😁
Pero por favor que golazo 😎😎💪💪

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Nice goal by Messi. Still 25 minutes left plus stoppage time but Argentina have appeared the better team in the second half.

The last time Mexico defeated Argentina, I was a high school student. That was 18 years ago.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:28 pm Nice goal by Messi. Still 25 minutes left plus stoppage time but Argentina have appeared the better team in the second half.

The last time Mexico defeated Argentina, I was a high school student. That was 18 years ago.
The last time we defeated Argentina was 2002. The time before that was 1982... sometimes referred to as the Falklands War.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Que golazo!!! Otra vez!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:48 am
Niemand wrote: November 26th, 2022, 10:26 am
This is how it went:
Then:

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

I dunno, have you seen netball? I used to watch it at school, and it wasn't for the gameplay.
I can really appreciate sport of basketball, so I had to look up this 'netball' thing. Sounds kinda like basketball; except no dribbling, no bouncing, no running with the ball, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball
And it's almost exclusively playef by girls. If you have the ball, your feet have to be more or less glued to the floor. Your job is to pass it to someone nearer to the hoop and not let someone else catch the ball.

There is also a third version called korfball which the Dutch play.

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

Soocer is Celestial. Rugby is, at best, Telestial.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Tonight's results:

Wales 0-3 England
Iran 0-1 USA

England finish top of the group, USA finish in second place. Both qualify for the last 16.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

U.S.A., U.S.A.!!!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

thaabit wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:07 am Soocer is Celestial. Rugby is, at best, Telestial.
If you saw the fans over here you'd think the reverse. I would happily take children to a rugby game and sit with people who support the other side... with a soccer game round here, they'll be taught songs about terrorist groups, see folk fighting in the stands and have to be separated from the other lot by police on horseback.

I worked in a place in Glasgow in the nineties. A week before I started, a man had been stabbed to death across the street for wearing the wrong football shirt. In broad daylight. Nice, eh?

Even in the area where I live nowadays, I have had drunk men come up to me late at night and start really aggressively asking me what team I support. If you give the wrong answer it can get you into trouble.

In Belgium and Holland just now they've rioting because Morocco's done so well in the world cup. Some of it's Moroccans and some of it local whites. It would have been better if they'd done this against the Covid nonsense... but no, let's keep it for the football.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 29th, 2022, 3:52 pm
thaabit wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:07 am Soocer is Celestial. Rugby is, at best, Telestial.
If you saw the fans over here you'd think the reverse. I would happily take children to a rugby game and sit with people who support the other side... with a soccer game round here, they'll be taught songs about terrorist groups, see folk fighting in the stands and have to be separated from the other lot by police on horseback.

I worked in a place in Glasgow in the nineties. A week before I started, a man had been stabbed to death across the street for wearing the wrong football shirt. In broad daylight. Nice, eh?

Even in the area where I live nowadays, I have had drunk men come up to me late at night and start really aggressively asking me what team I support. If you give the wrong answer it can get you into trouble.

In Belgium and Holland just now they've rioting because Morocco's done so well in the world cup. Some of it's Moroccans and some of it local whites. It would have been better if they'd done this against the Covid nonsense... but no, let's keep it for the football.
I took my 4 year old grandson to his first game a few weeks ago. It was absolutely brilliant.
He joined in the singing and even got himself on the official club match day photo's.
It helped that we won 3-1.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Hey I was just wondering, since we are in the midst of a man-made global climate crisis which poses an immediate threat to all life on earth....did the soccer teams row or sail to Qatar?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:42 pm

I took my 4 year old grandson to his first game a few weeks ago. It was absolutely brilliant.
He joined in the singing and even got himself on the official club match day photo's.
I wouldn't take kids near any high level club games. Maybe second division or smaller local teams, because those games tend to have friendlier crowds.

It's not even a class thing since I've seen working class rugby league, hurling and ice hockey fans and never felt uncomfortable among them. I've been to the dog track in Manchester and loved it. Boozy football fans are not good to be around. I don't know any other sport around here where fans kill each other or beat each other up.

That and football games being overpriced these days. Hundreds of pounds for a season ticket.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

tribrac wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:51 pm Hey I was just wondering, since we are in the midst of a man-made global climate crisis which poses an immediate threat to all life on earth....did the soccer teams row or sail to Qatar?
Actually the bigger point is that there is more wastage in Qatar itself. It is a small country and many of those stadiums may never see full use again after this tournament.

The stadiums are air conditioned and had to be built from scratch in some cases using oil money. (And serfs to build them.)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:55 pm

I wouldn't take kids near any high level club games. Maybe second division or smaller local teams, because those games tend to have friendlier crowds.

It's not even a class thing since I've seen working class rugby league, hurling and ice hockey fans and never felt uncomfortable among them. I've been to the dog track in Manchester and loved it. Boozy football fans are not good to be around. I don't know any other sport around here where fans kill each other or beat each other up.

That and football games being overpriced these days. Hundreds of pounds for a season ticket.
It very much depends on the club and level at which they operate.
My team is Notts County... enough said.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:20 am
Niemand wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:55 pm

It very much depends on the club and level at which they operate.
My team is Notts County... enough said.
I haven't heard any bad things about Notts County fans!

I used to watch games in the Highland League occasionally. That was a much better atmosphere. Like I say, I tend to find football a bit dull, but it's a lot more fun when you don't feel someone is going to try and kick your head in!!! (The Highland League was a victim of its own success. A lot of the teams were so good that they got promoted into higher rankings. Some of these clubs have produced notable Scotland players like Colin Hendry, and some of the teams like Caley Thistle have gone onto greater things.)

There is an English guy who seems to have the best YouTube channel on Scottish football. He's been to every single (proper) club in the country. (One of my pals used to show me the videos to me non-stop.)
https://youtube.com/@FootyAdventures

I remember I've had people try and take me to Ibrox and Celtic Park. I know there are some decent people who support the Old Firm, but singing about the IRA or being "knee deep in Fenian blood" isn't my thing. I've got my views on the Irish situation but can't support sectarianism. Even Aberdeen used to have some scary casuals.

p.s. Just seen a taxi from Bolton of all places! Someone must have had an expensive fare.