General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
anonymous91
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by anonymous91 »

LDS Watchman wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:37 pm
anonymous91 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:22 pm
Hosh wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:06 pm
LDS Watchman wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:43 am

I haven't baited you into anything, I haven't shamed you, I haven't psychologically manipulated you, or anything like that. You're just frustrated because I'm not backing down from my position and have made several points that you are unable to refute.

If you want to bow out that's fine. But calling me a swine and falsely accusing me of using nefarious tactics and not being sincere is in very poor taste. If you feel like the conversation is unproductive and you're not making any headway, why not just agree to disagree without the insults?
I mean, your tactics are a bit insincere, and a little bizarre. You know what I'm talking about LDS Watchman. Don't deny it, because you know I know. So don't get after others for sensing something truly wierd with your tactics. What your doing may seem normal to you, but people can smell it from a mile away. You know this. We've talked about this. Stop pretending like all these other people are the crazy ones and you have done nothing out of the ordinary. You know what you are doing.
Do you know what is crazy about his last comment, I just saw it.

Here's the break down:

DARVO. I literally just mentioned DARVO a few threads up, then I see this.

(D)Deny: "I haven't baited you into anything, I haven't shamed you, I haven't psychologically manipulated you, or anything like that."

Passive- Agressive (A)ttack/Manipulation tactic to prompt flight/fight response. Attempt to get the subject to re-engage:

"You're just frustrated because I'm not backing down from my position and have made several points that you are unable to refute."
"If you want to bow out that's fine."

(R)everse (V)ictim and (O)ffender: "But calling me a swine and falsely accusing me of using nefarious tactics and not being sincere is in very poor taste. If you feel like the conversation is unproductive and you're not making any headway, why not just agree to disagree without the insults?"

I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for him, this is insane. I am going to take Creator's advice and make a separate thread about these psychological tactics. I know that can be beneficial for a lot of us on the forum. I appreciate your comments.
Wait so you falsey accused me and called me a swine because I didn't back down from my views, and when I called a spade a spade I'm guilty of DARVO?

This forum really is the twilight zone sometimes.
To clarify for others on this forum. You really need to learn how to read carefully. At no point did I ever call (or even imply) you what you claim I did.

This is a false accusation that you falsely smeared me with. Either you have a serious reading comprehension issue, or you are intentionally divisive. I am done dealing with such juvenile behavior.

Hosh
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Hosh »

LDS Watchman wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:33 pm
anonymous91 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:44 am

You might be able to pull the wool over other people's eyes but don't pull that on me whippersnapper.

I've seen you constantly baiting people purposefully, and then you try to use black-and-white thinking, along with a personal interpretation of scriptures to fit your worldview. Then you double down and claim that your interpretation is the only authorized interpretation one could possibly ever come to.

Additionally, here is a perfect example of trying to blame shift by attempting to draw me back into the convo. and attempt to make it look like you are innocent of any wrongdoings. In fact, this fits a classic psychological tactic called DARVO (Deny, Attack, Reverse Victim and Offender).

After this, you attempt to claim that somehow your viewpoint is valid and the correct one, because someone (such as myself) chooses to wisely disengage from your narcissistic game. Had enough of that from my ex, definitely not going to intentionally engage in this purposefully. Like I said in the last post I don't have the time and energy to deal with this nonsense.

It has become very clear to me that you are not interested in having a civil debate or an exchange of ideas, but you would rather get off on psychologically manipulating others for your own satisfaction.

I want to be clear that I was using the scripture passage as a metaphor. In that, you are not valuing anyone else's viewpoints, opinions, or thoughts. You are interested in tactics such as humiliation, baiting, stroking your own ego, and so on. You are attempting to insinuate something that isn't there. You are attempting to claim that you can read my mind and guilt shame me for what you claim I am supposedly thinking, very presumptuous of you.

My intention is two-fold here:

1- To publicly expose the tactics being used here so that others can be cognizant of what these tactics are, and they would also have the option to choose to not engage further with such posts. If you continue to do this to others, I may choose to uncover these psychological tactics for the benefit of others. In this way, they can understand what is going on and the tactics being used. They can then choose to further engage or disengage themselves from such fruitless conversations.

2- So that you may learn and improve from what others are seeing. This can be difficult to be raw and honest with oneself and to start making the necessary changes to resolve this. Sometimes, we don't even realize that we have issues with these things until someone points them out to us. Many years ago, I was dealing with playing the victim, until someone very close to me called me out on it. At first, I was defensive, immediately denied it, and was fairly upset about it. After taking time to self-reflect, I realized that he was right and chose that I was going to make different choices in my life. This took a lot of time and effort. This was not easy, but it was worth it in the end. If this upsets you, that is not my intention, though I can understand if that is how you choose to take it.

For the benefit of all reading this post, choose wisely when and how you decide to use your time and energy. When it becomes abundantly clear to me that someone is not interested in a healthy debate or exchanging ideas/thoughts and musings, but rather is interested in psychological manipulation then I choose to disengage. This can sometimes be difficult to do when you are especially passionate about a subject and don't want to let it go. Good thing none of us are perfect and can keep improving ourselves.

You can take this any way you want but I have no dog in this fight. You want to go claim that as a victory, whatever floats your boat. Sincerely, I do hope that you take an honest internal reflection on what I am writing and how you can change these things going forward. I have no ill will towards you personally, I am choosing to disengage since this is turning into a toxic exchange.
I haven't baited you into anything, I haven't shamed you, I haven't psychologically manipulated you, or anything like that. You're just frustrated because I'm not backing down from my position and have made several points that you are unable to refute.

If you want to bow out that's fine. But calling me a swine and falsely accusing me of using nefarious tactics and not being sincere is in very poor taste. If you feel like the conversation is unproductive and you're not making any headway, why not just agree to disagree without the insults?
I mean, your tactics are a bit insincere, and a little bizarre. You know what I'm talking about LDS Watchman. Don't deny it, because you know I know. So don't get after others for sensing something truly wierd with your tactics. What your doing may seem normal to you, but people can smell it from a mile away. You know this. We've talked about this. Stop pretending like all these other people are the crazy ones and you have done nothing out of the ordinary. You know what you are doing.
I don't know what you're talking about Hosh.

I recognize that all is not well in Zion, but don't view things as black and white and think the brethren are evil like many on this forum do. Because I push back against what I believe is out of control fault finding and defend the church and the brethren against what I believe are false accusations, people get angry at me and lash out. That's what's going on here.

And I know you know this, too.

This forum isn't an anti-brethren echo chamber.
So please stop trying to pick a fight because I don't see things the same way you do and voice my opinions about what is really going on.
You know what I'm talking about. And I'll leave it at that. I deleted my other comment out of respect and the peace we've made.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

Post by Alexander »

“Mormon 8/2 Nephi 28 is talking about the churches before the coming of the Book of Mormon”

Uhhh… I mean yeah. The BoM comes forth twice though; once in part, and second in totality (sealed portion included). Thus the state of the churches before the drawing of the record is the same in both periods.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Hosh wrote: October 6th, 2022, 7:12 pm
LDS Watchman wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:33 pm

I don't know what you're talking about Hosh.

I recognize that all is not well in Zion, but don't view things as black and white and think the brethren are evil like many on this forum do. Because I push back against what I believe is out of control fault finding and defend the church and the brethren against what I believe are false accusations, people get angry at me and lash out. That's what's going on here.

And I know you know this, too.

This forum isn't an anti-brethren echo chamber.
So please stop trying to pick a fight because I don't see things the same way you do and voice my opinions about what is really going on.
You know what I'm talking about. And I'll leave it at that. I deleted my other comment out of respect and the peace we've made.
Thanks for having the decency to delete that comment.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

anonymous91 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Here's the break down:

(D)Deny: "I haven't baited you into anything, I haven't shamed you, I haven't psychologically manipulated you, or anything like that."

Passive- Agressive (A)ttack/Manipulation tactic to prompt flight/fight response. Attempt to get the subject to re-engage:

"You're just frustrated because I'm not backing down from my position and have made several points that you are unable to refute."

(R)everse (V)ictim and (O)ffender: "But calling me a swine and falsely accusing me of using nefarious tactics and not being sincere is in very poor taste. If you feel like the conversation is unproductive and you're not making any headway, why not just agree to disagree without the insults?"

I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for him, this is insane. I am going to take Creator's advice and make a separate thread about these psychological tactics. I know that can be beneficial for a lot of us on the forum. I appreciate your comments.
Wait so you falsey accused me and called me a swine because I didn't back down from my views, and when I called a spade a spade I'm guilty of DARVO?

To clarify for others on this forum. You really need to learn how to read carefully. At no point did I ever call (or even imply) you what you claim I did.

This is a false accusation that you falsely smeared me with. Either you have a serious reading comprehension issue, or you are intentionally divisive. I am done dealing with such juvenile behavior.
Well it was either a swine or a dog, take your pick.

Or are you really trying to pretend that even though you prefaced that verse by talking about my alleged nefarious tactics and insincerity and how I wasn't worth your time, that you weren't saying that I was a dog or swine who was unworthy of your holy pearls? You're kidding right?

I'm done with the juvenile behavior, too. I think you better read through your DARVO stuff again, but this time look in the mirror while you do it.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Here's the break down:

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

FrankOne wrote: October 7th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Here's the break down:

Okay...

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:33 am "Those who wait upon the Lord will be renewed in His strength" - Revision to the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet has been updated and refreshed.

FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH - A GUIDE OF MAKING CHOICES
Based on what I overheard from the High School and college age kids talking about at Thanksgiving...the new manual is a laugh.

A relief society teacher in a YSA bore testimony of how grateful she was that tattoos were okay now.

Bishop tried to teach that it was a higher law, and tattooes were still discouraged, but not all the youth were convinced.

In same ward sisters talked about how relieved they were to be able to get multiple piercings because they never thought God would be telling them what to wear or what to do with their body.

15year olds are dating now, and apparently some of them (and some of their parents) feel like other dating rules/expectations/recommendations no longer apply. Modest dress and behavior have been replaced with 'higher laws' .

Movies of all ratings are justifiable.

Our last stake conference was all about recruiting missionaries. I suspect the new FSY 'rules' will result in fewer but better prepared missionaries.