Let them Flee into the mountains

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
dennis
captain of 1,000

Let them Flee into the mountains

Post by dennis »

The pattern we find in scripture is that when a society reaches a tipping point when they are “ripe for destruction” (Hel. 13:14), the Lord preserves the righteous by calling them out of the city or society, and leading them to a safe place, or into the wilderness. The Jaredites were led out of a wicked society into the wilderness, and eventually sailed to the promised land.

The Book of Mormon begins with its own callout as Nephi records his family’s departure from Jerusalem into the wilderness prior to the Babylonian invasion. Concerning this story, Avraham Gileadi wrote: “Considering to whom he is writing—his own people and the Gentiles of the latter days—his account is not merely a history but also a type and shadow of what will take place before the Lord’s coming to reign on the earth. . . he enables his latter-day readers to some day liken his exodus to themselves. Having seen our day, he adapts his writing to what will be of most worth to his readers.” (Gileadi, Studies in the Book of Mormon, p. 6)

If, as a record, the Book of Mormon is the ultimate type and shadow for us in the last days, then why would it start with this story if we could never expect to experience something similar in the end-time? The exodus of the early Latter-day Saints across the plains to Salt Lake City cannot be the fulfillment of this type as the Babylonians were a foreign invading army that breached the walls of the promised land, pillaging, plundering, and taking many captive. The Saints were victims of political persecution within their own nation.

Concerning a future calling out, Heber C. Kimball prophesied: “When the time comes that the Lord says, “Arise, and to your tents, O Israel,” then men must be pure inside and out; they must be for God, or they will have no part in the blessings conferred upon the righteous.” (JD 9:151) In His latter-day commentary on the parable of the wheat and the tares, the Lord foretold that the tares would “choke the wheat and drive the church into the wilderness.” (D&C 86:3)

It is clear we have a pattern here where the Lord calls out the righteous from the wicked; and this pattern will continue to play out in the end-time, as Jesus himself prophesied. I close with Hugh Nibley’s commentary on that prophecy of Jesus’ we began with: “There is no point to foretelling woes from which there is no deliverance, and the Lord does not leave the people helpless but tells them specifically what they are to do. In the first place, [they] were to do what they had always done in such an emergency: they were to flee to the mountains.” (Hugh Nibley,

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: Let them Flee into the mountains

Post by HVDC »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm The pattern we find in scripture is that when a society reaches a tipping point when they are “ripe for destruction” (Hel. 13:14), the Lord preserves the righteous by calling them out of the city or society, and leading them to a safe place, or into the wilderness. The Jaredites were led out of a wicked society into the wilderness, and eventually sailed to the promised land.

The Book of Mormon begins with its own callout as Nephi records his family’s departure from Jerusalem into the wilderness prior to the Babylonian invasion. Concerning this story, Avraham Gileadi wrote: “Considering to whom he is writing—his own people and the Gentiles of the latter days—his account is not merely a history but also a type and shadow of what will take place before the Lord’s coming to reign on the earth. . . he enables his latter-day readers to some day liken his exodus to themselves. Having seen our day, he adapts his writing to what will be of most worth to his readers.” (Gileadi, Studies in the Book of Mormon, p. 6)

If, as a record, the Book of Mormon is the ultimate type and shadow for us in the last days, then why would it start with this story if we could never expect to experience something similar in the end-time? The exodus of the early Latter-day Saints across the plains to Salt Lake City cannot be the fulfillment of this type as the Babylonians were a foreign invading army that breached the walls of the promised land, pillaging, plundering, and taking many captive. The Saints were victims of political persecution within their own nation.

Concerning a future calling out, Heber C. Kimball prophesied: “When the time comes that the Lord says, “Arise, and to your tents, O Israel,” then men must be pure inside and out; they must be for God, or they will have no part in the blessings conferred upon the righteous.” (JD 9:151) In His latter-day commentary on the parable of the wheat and the tares, the Lord foretold that the tares would “choke the wheat and drive the church into the wilderness.” (D&C 86:3)

It is clear we have a pattern here where the Lord calls out the righteous from the wicked; and this pattern will continue to play out in the end-time, as Jesus himself prophesied. I close with Hugh Nibley’s commentary on that prophecy of Jesus’ we began with: “There is no point to foretelling woes from which there is no deliverance, and the Lord does not leave the people helpless but tells them specifically what they are to do. In the first place, [they] were to do what they had always done in such an emergency: they were to flee to the mountains.” (Hugh Nibley,
Mountains.

Metaphor.

Or not?

Sir H

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Then let them who are in Judea flee into the mountains; Let him who is on the housetop flee, and not return to take anything out of his house; Neither let him who is in the field return back to take his clothes; And wo unto them that are with child, and unto them that give suck in those days; Therefore, pray ye the Lord that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day.” (JST Matt 24:13-17)

Jesus clearly prophesied here of a latter-day exodus, a flight into the wilderness for safety and protection. One that we should note does not involve returning, this is a permanent departure. Jesus further notes that this withdrawal of the righteous will be, as it was in the days of Noah, “for until that day that Noah entered into the ark, they [the wicked] were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, and knew not until the flood came and took them all away.” Things will seem normal, business as usual to thew wicked, “then shall be fulfilled that which is written, that in the last days, two shall be in the field; the one shall be taken and the other left. Two shall be grinding at the mill; the one taken and the other left.” (JST Matt. 24:45-48)

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

I found great comfort in a Nemenhah verse I read last night. For, the things happening in this nation are very, very troubling.
Ohuhgohuh 331: (Jesus is visiting the Nemenhah after His resurrection, and speaking to His new Apostles far to the North of the Nephites)
For it shall come to pass in the day I establish my remnant sayeth the Creator... (Jesus is teaching us, that He will have a place for those who hearken to His call, at the same day He says He will punish those who won't) ... I will cut off their horses out of the midst of them and I will destroy their chariots. Their highways will no longer be laden with spoil and I shall remove from them their commerce. I shall cut off their cities from the land, and the hungry shall throw down strongholds.

I can directly apply many of those things to our lives today. Many food factories have been burned, or otherwise destroyed purposely this year. Leaders have warned of food shortages, and we have seen it all year, rotating throughout the nation. Now, diesel, used to move trucks "laden with spoil" from "their commerce" shall not be available because diesel will run out. Without that transportation, gas won't be delivered to gas stations, so the "chariots" will be destroyed. With no food deliveries, "the hungry shall throw down the strongholds." All this is exacerbated by the railroad strike starting the second week of December.

Every single thing that has been weighing on my heart is addressed in that verse, by the Lord!
Isn't it a wonderful promise that He will establish His remnant at the same time!!!!

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:23 pm Then let them who are in Judea flee into the mountains; Let him who is on the housetop flee, and not return to take anything out of his house; Neither let him who is in the field return back to take his clothes; And wo unto them that are with child, and unto them that give suck in those days; Therefore, pray ye the Lord that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day.” (JST Matt 24:13-17)

Jesus clearly prophesied here of a latter-day exodus, a flight into the wilderness for safety and protection. One that we should note does not involve returning, this is a permanent departure. Jesus further notes that this withdrawal of the righteous will be, as it was in the days of Noah, “for until that day that Noah entered into the ark, they [the wicked] were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, and knew not until the flood came and took them all away.” Things will seem normal, business as usual to thew wicked, “then shall be fulfilled that which is written, that in the last days, two shall be in the field; the one shall be taken and the other left. Two shall be grinding at the mill; the one taken and the other left.” (JST Matt. 24:45-48)
While I agree with the sentiment.

Most of us are not in Judea.

Do we flee to the mountains also?

We do appear to be in a time like unto the time of Noah.

But, outside of disasters, when are we not?

It's called civilization.

Literal Mountains?

Do Mountains equal Wilderness?

Is fleeing to the Wilderness the same as leaving civilization?

Lehi and company fled to another continent.

Jaradites the same.

Noah didn't flee at all.

Vague as to what we are exactly to do.

And when we are to do it.

As well as where we are to go.

Running around in circles probably won't accomplish much.

Too bad we have no leaders.

That would have been nice.

Guess we will just each strike out in our own.

Not good odds of survival that way though.

But then if we don't flee.

We can hope to be taken?

Maybe it is clear to you what we need to do.

Not to me.

I suggest.

Distance from cities.

Homogenous population.

Geographic barriers.

Years supply of lots of things.

Implements of death.

Lots of offspring.

Get busy.

Sir H

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

Joan7 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:41 pm I found great comfort in a Nemenhah verse I read last night. For, the things happening in this nation are very, very troubling.
Ohuhgohuh 331: (Jesus is visiting the Nemenhah after His resurrection, and speaking to His new Apostles far to the North of the Nephites)
For it shall come to pass in the day I establish my remnant sayeth the Creator... (Jesus is teaching us, that He will have a place for those who hearken to His call, at the same day He says He will punish those who won't) ... I will cut off their horses out of the midst of them and I will destroy their chariots. Their highways will no longer be laden with spoil and I shall remove from them their commerce. I shall cut off their cities from the land, and the hungry shall throw down strongholds.

I can directly apply many of those things to our lives today. Many food factories have been burned, or otherwise destroyed purposely this year. Leaders have warned of food shortages, and we have seen it all year, rotating throughout the nation. Now, diesel, used to move trucks "laden with spoil" from "their commerce" shall not be available because diesel will run out. Without that transportation, gas won't be delivered to gas stations, so the "chariots" will be destroyed. With no food deliveries, "the hungry shall throw down the strongholds." All this is exacerbated by the railroad strike starting the second week of December.

Every single thing that has been weighing on my heart is addressed in that verse, by the Lord!
Isn't it a wonderful promise that He will establish His remnant at the same time!!!!
Further context may be appropriate, so here are the following verses:
332) And I will cut off the wisdom of their wise ones and their fraud will I expose to the eye. Their subtle lyings, their deceit, and their soothsayers shall I undo.
333) Their pride I will also cut off, for all their graven works shall be no help to them and shall disappear from the midst of them. They shall no more worship the works of their hands.
334) I will pluck up their meeting places and their Churches, and their sacrifices; so shall I destroy their cities.
335) For lyings, deceivings, envyings, strifes, priestcrafts and whoredoms shall be done away. Wherefore, their cities shall be done away.

Verses 333 and 334 sound very much like Isaiah's description of what happens to the Church in Chapter One.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

It's not specifically mountains, or wilderness or anything else. Specifically.

It is being called out of comfort to discomfort, challenge, difficulty. Or at least the APPEARANCE of difficulty.

The specifics of where you are called is irrelevant, only your response to the call matters.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm The pattern we find in scripture is that when a society reaches a tipping point when they are “ripe for destruction” (Hel. 13:14), the Lord preserves the righteous by calling them out of the city or society, and leading them to a safe place, or into the wilderness...
[Drumroll]

D&C 103:15 Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power;
16 Therefore, I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel.
17 For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm.
18 And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be.
19 Therefore, let not your hearts faint, for I say not unto you as I said unto your fathers: Mine angel shall go up before you, but not my presence.
20 But I say unto you: Mine angels shall go up before you, and also my presence, and in time ye shall possess the goodly land.

This is yet a future event.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Three years ago , I fled to Costa Rica, I am very Happy here!!!! It is my opinion the destruction will be worse in the US, Canada and Europe. and less in the nations of Latin America.... better early than a day too Late,

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:31 pm Three years ago , I fled to Costa Rica, I am very Happy here!!!! It is my opinion the destruction will be worse in the US, Canada and Europe. and less in the nations of Latin America.... better early than a day too Late,
I tend to strongly agree. I believe the US will utterly be destroyed. And get this...I live in Northern Utah right up against the eastern perimeter of Hill Air Force Base! But alas, I know that where I currently live is where the Lord has led me...for now.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

marc wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:42 pm
dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:31 pm Three years ago , I fled to Costa Rica, I am very Happy here!!!! It is my opinion the destruction will be worse in the US, Canada and Europe. and less in the nations of Latin America.... better early than a day too Late,
I tend to strongly agree. I believe the US will utterly be destroyed. And get this...I live in Northern Utah right up against the eastern perimeter of Hill Air Force Base! But alas, I know that where I currently live is where the Lord has led me...for now.
I hear you. If you had told me a year ago that I would be living in Missouri, I would have said you were barking mad. Yet my wife and I felt strongly compelled around March of this year to do so - and here we are.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

So Marc, looks to me like you could high jack a fighter jet, and Fleee or Fly ..away .... smile

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I’m afraid you’ve only identified half the pattern.

Some, like Lehi, he calls out.

Others, like Jeremiah, he calls to stay.

My advice?

If He commands you to flee, flee.

If He commands you to stay, stay.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Study it out in your mind and present it to the Lord. In my case,,, the words came to my mind.. Yes , if you want to".... I do not ever remember a "command" in answer to my prayers

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

endlessismyname wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:55 pm I’m afraid you’ve only identified half the pattern.

Some, like Lehi, he calls out.

Others, like Jeremiah, he calls to stay.

My advice?

If He commands you to flee, flee.

If He commands you to stay, stay.
I've been well aware of that dichotomy for a long time and I'm keenly aware of the contrast between Jeremiah and Lehi. Then there were Ezekiel and Daniel! Bottom line, whatever the Lord requires is right. And if he gives you options? Hmm...I think I would ask, Lord which would you choose and why?

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

endlessismyname, In the case of Jeremiah he and the daughters of the King went to Egypt. and then according to Irish history went on to Ireland. the daughter Tea Tephi, sister to Mulec, became an Irish queen. an artifact they took with them the coronation stone or stone of scone. it is still used today in Scotish and English coronation

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:10 pm Study it out in your mind and present it to the Lord. In my case,,, the words came to my mind.. Yes , if you want to".... I do not ever remember a "command" in answer to my prayers
Do you have kids?

If so.

How many kids do you have?

Did you take them with you?

How have they integrated into the community?

Important questions.

Thanks.

Sir H

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Daughters are very special but are seldom mentioned in Scripture. However there is mention in Jeremiah of the kings daughters. The King is Zedikiah who is the king when Lehi leaves Jerusalem and who the Babylonians put to death along with his sons. From the Book of Mormon we learn that one son Mulek comes to America. I think he came here along a similar route as Colombus. The Daughters are also the grand daughters of the Prophet Jeremiah. Jeremiah takes them with him to Egypt. One of the girls was Named Teia Tephi according to some Irish accounts. the first thing One notices is how similar the name is to Nephi.
there apparently were artifacts onboard also. The Stone of Destiny:

The story begins in the land of Palestine at a place called Bethel with the Biblical patriarch Jacob (Genesis 28:11-22). The authentic Stone of Destiny is the stone/rock that Jacob used as a pillow when he dreamed of angels ascending and descending on a ladder between Heaven and Earth. When awaking from that dream, Jacob made a vow of allegiance to God and then took the stone he had used as a pillow and anointed it with oil as it would be from then on used as the throne that every subsequent God-sanctioned ruler of Israel would be crowned and sit upon. At that point it became the Throne of Israel, being kept and fiercely protected by all of Jacob's heirs for thousands of years to come.

Flashing forward about 1,100 years after Jacob originally had his dream in a cave near Bethel, the Stone had made its way through all of Israel's times of turmoil and Zedekiah was ruling upon it in Jerusalem. At that point, because of the obstinate ways of the Israelites and their refusal to keep The Covenant, God sent the Babylonian forces to attack and destroy the House of Judah (Israel) and leave all of Jerusalem in ruins. During this siege and conquering, Jeremiah the Bible Prophet hid The Stone, along with The Ark of The Covenant and other Israelite relics until it was safe to whisk them away to safety. With these treasures in possession, Jeremiah also brought with him Zedekiah's daughters, the youngest of which was Teia Tephi, who would be the continuation of the bloodline as God promised to king David centuries prior.

When escaping from Jerusalem, the royal party took The Stone and Ark and traveled to Tanis, Egypt where they stayed safely for a few years. Eventually, Jeremiah was warned by God that Tanis was no longer safe so he took Teia Tephi and the treasures towards Gibraltar, making brief stops along the way. After spending five months in Gibraltar, the group set off northward, stopping at Breogan in Spain and then eventually landing at Mara-Zion in Cornwall.

At that point, the ruler of Cornwall at the time was a man named Elatha who helped Jeremiah and Teia Tephi towards what would be their final destination -Ireland. Elatha sent messengers to the high king (Ard ri) of Ireland, notifying him of the situation and then a guard of 53 ships to ensure safe passage for Tephi and Jeremiah. Upon arrival, Tephi took The Stone with her to Tara where she and the high king, Eochaidh, gave their pledges of marriage over the Stone of Destiny, and Teia Tephi stood upon the Stone and was acknowledged queen of all Ireland.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:21 pm endlessismyname, In the case of Jeremiah he and the daughters of the King went to Egypt. and then according to Irish history went on to Ireland. the daughter Tea Tephi, sister to Mulec, became an Irish queen. an artifact they took with them the coronation stone or stone of scone. it is still used today in Scotish and English coronation
Brother Dennis.

I know nothing regarding that which you speak of. I can’t seem to find it in my standard works.

But the scriptures are clear. God calls some out, and some He commands to stay.

Do we agree on this point?
Last edited by endlessQuestions on November 24th, 2022, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

HVDC I have 5 children, all married and they have not chosen to come to costa rica yet..... there is a very excellent school just down the road. I have found most things are as good or better here. there is no army, they use money saved from no military spending for education. there is no repeat no snow, lots of food, really friendly people , many people are moving here from other countries.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:36 pm I have found most things are as good or better here. there is no army, they use money saved from no military spending for education. there is no repeat no snow, lots of food, really friendly people , many people are moving here from other countries.
Well, at least there's an upside when you're completely cut off from the rest of the world and miss out on the marvelous work resuming here in the promised land. Perhaps someone can send you a postcard of what the New Jerusalem looks like and a copy of all the new scriptures.

Of course, when the D&C is fulfilled, and ALL nations are at war one with another, save those in Zion, perhaps they will pause the war and rebuild the airline industry so that you can catch a flight back up to Zion.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

dennis wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:36 pm HVDC I have 5 children, all married and they have not chosen to come to costa rica yet..... there is a very excellent school just down the road. I have found most things are as good or better here. there is no army, they use money saved from no military spending for education. there is no repeat no snow, lots of food, really friendly people , many people are moving here from other countries.
I had previously looked into Costa Rica and Panama but my wife wouldn't consider it.

Kids and family ties.

Enjoy.

Sir H

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

marc wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:42 pm
Europe even more so. Bang in the middle of the two power blocs.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Niemand wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:36 amEurope even more so. Bang in the middle of the two power blocs.
Are you German/do you live in Germany? I served my mission there in the Munich mission area back in 1989-91. It was so surreal when the Wall fell and countless East Germans poured over into the West. I loved it there. I know that niemand means nobody.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

marc wrote: November 25th, 2022, 9:05 am
Niemand wrote: November 25th, 2022, 7:36 amEurope even more so. Bang in the middle of the two power blocs.
Are you German/do you live in Germany? I served my mission there in the Munich mission area back in 1989-91. It was so surreal when the Wall fell and countless East Germans poured over into the West. I loved it there. I know that niemand means nobody.
I'm Scottish but know a little German. I'm a "nobody". Nemo was already taken in the LDS community. :) Turns out Niemand was too on some Scottish forums, but I didn't know that.

I used to know quite a few East Germans.

The only place round here to possibly escape obliteration may be far north west Scotland, but there has also been massive depopulation there, and there are major facilities at Dounreay, Machrihanish and Coulport/Faslane which are potential targets.