Fifteen feet tall statue of Joseph Smith

Discuss political news items / current events.

BigT
captain of 100

Re: Fifteen feet tall statue of Joseph Smith

Post by BigT »

Wow. Thou shalt have no graven images… We put the Christus (sp?) my parents gave back in the box a couple of months ago.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

I wonder what Joseph would think?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

So...12 inches for each apostle?

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

BigT wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:57 pm
Wow. Thou shalt have no graven images… We put the Christus (sp?) my parents gave back in the box a couple of months ago.
I've never been impressed with this statue either. I just thought it was me though.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

tribrac wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 6:18 pm So...12 inches for each apostle?
I think that's pushing it....or maybe I read this wrong.... :oops: :o

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

There was a thread with a title asking why there were 15 apostles...

What did you think it was?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Neither the Church nor local membership built the statue.

But honestly I think Brother Joseph would not be pleased.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

See...being a good global citizen pays off...

Bbhector
captain of 10

Post by Bbhector »

Who cares, looks nice and no one is worshipping the statue. Similar statues such as Moroni on top of hill cumorah have been around. Akin to artwork not graven image imo

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

FoundMyEden wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 6:17 pm I wonder what Joseph would think?
I think he would be appalled.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

A foot for every apostle in the church. Makes sense they all add up to a molten image of Joseph Smith.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Oh dear.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

The fact that it’s golden is even worse.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

At first I thought it was a parody article.

Guess we have arrived.

Our status as a world wide religion is confirmed.

Sorry lost sheep.

You'll have to wait.

We have tares to gather.

Sir H

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FoundMyEden wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 6:18 pm
BigT wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:57 pm
I've never been impressed with this statue either. I just thought it was me though.
It's the most overrated piece of art in the church and it isn't even Mormon, it's Lutheran. What most people have is a copy of a copy of a copy.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Lexew1899 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 2:18 am The fact that it’s golden is even worse.
It could have been worse, it could have been a calf.

Loving the "Namaste" gestures.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Nice. About time we started showing our peculiarities, given that we are supposed to be a peculiar people. I understand people’s concerns with the graven images thing, but I’m not too concerned. I don’t think God has a problem with statues and portraits. In the original Nauvoo Temple they filled it with portraits of people.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

the Lei ... !

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Luke wrote: November 24th, 2022, 4:59 am Nice. About time we started showing our peculiarities, given that we are supposed to be a peculiar people. I understand people’s concerns with the graven images thing, but I’m not too concerned. I don’t think God has a problem with statues and portraits. In the original Nauvoo Temple they filled it with portraits of people.
That Thorvaldsen sculpture has ended up becoming an idol, and that picture of Jesus in the red robe too. Some people think the latter is an accurate depiction of Jesus.

Our bishop tells me he is required to have a mass produced copy of the Thorvaldsen in his office now. It's taken on a whole new aura which the others haven't. Moroni with his trumpet was never treated that way and he doesn't bother me.

As for this statue of Joseph Smith, I find it revolting on every level. It looks more like some Hindu kitsch or an Academy Award.

They remove Minerva Teichert's art but put this up?
TwochurchesOnly wrote: November 24th, 2022, 5:02 am the Lei ... !
It's actually a Hindu thing, but same idea.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

This strikes me as when the Greeks after listening to Paul, they went to the Acropolis and built a temple "to the unknown God." Which is indeed possible because there is not a branch in Pune (where the Maharashtra Institute of Technology is located).

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Subcomandante wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:06 am This strikes me as when the Greeks after listening to Paul, they went to the Acropolis and built a temple "to the unknown God." Which is indeed possible because there is not a branch in Pune (where the Maharashtra Institute of Technology is located).
The difference is that Paul wanted to convert people to Christ. We also don't hear of NT figures setting up paintings and sculptures everywhere.

I do accept other religions have some truths in them, maybe even some of God's lignt. What I do not accept is also accepting their corrupt teachings, which are not of God, and trying to ram all the religions into a centralised globalist project. It's exactly the same as has happened with the internet... twenty years ago numerous websites and news outlets, now only a handful which most people are involved in, all run by the same cartel.

Honestly this is the most "triggering" thing I've heard all week. It makes my skin crawl.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Luke wrote: November 24th, 2022, 4:59 am I don’t think God has a problem with statues and portraits.
Well according to God he does.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Robin Hood wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:35 am
Luke wrote: November 24th, 2022, 4:59 am I don’t think God has a problem with statues and portraits.
I used to think this.

However, it simply doesn’t stand under logic. If this were true, then all the Temples built in this dispensation were immediately desecrated by the presence of statues and portraits.

I just don’t think God is such a Pharisee about this, especially in light of things like the above.

When God spoke of making graven images He spoke of likenesses of idols built for the purpose of worshipping in place of Him.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Luke wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:49 am
Robin Hood wrote: November 24th, 2022, 7:35 am
I used to think this.

However, it simply doesn’t stand under logic. If this were true, then all the Temples built in this dispensation were immediately desecrated by the presence of statues and portraits.

I just don’t think God is such a Pharisee about this, especially in light of things like the above.

When God spoke of making graven images He spoke of likenesses of idols built for the purpose of worshipping in place of Him.
Yeah, they had just been expelled from Egypt... lots of idols used for the worship of their gods... God was saying "Hey I'm not like them, you don't need an image, I am God, worhsip me by coming to me and not to an image of me and you don't need to pay lots of money to have an image of me to worship me.