Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
madvin
captain of 1,000

Re: Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by madvin »

Romney has been all about gay rights at least since his Massachusetts days.
https://www.amazon.com/Mitt-Romneys-Dec ... 1461028078

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 6:44 pm I have some new information here that might be of interest in this forum, and might very well prove me wrong here...

This crow tastes pathetic.
Being willing to admit being wrong is admirable.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Subcomandante wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 6:44 pm I have some new information here that might be of interest in this forum, and might very well prove me wrong here...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 0586931514

Here Ted Cruz has a podcast; the juiciest part starts at the 9 minute mark. Apparently Romney was lobbying the Church to send out the statement and convinced "a senior member" of the Church (not identified) to go forward with the statement.

I wonder which Apostle has oversight responsibility over the North American areas, specifically the East area.

This crow tastes pathetic.
Ya...they forgot to listen to Mike Lee who was quite up on what this act really meant and informed Glenn Becks audiences on it......again Romney strikes....super dissapointing that we have swerved to the left at such a high rate of speed and found our church in a deep ditch.....waitng for life flight...and the Jaws of life to extricate what will be left after all this......it really is incredible......meanwhile a deranged maybe disaffected member is making headlines with the shoot up of the q club in Colorado springs.....

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

That podcast makes it clear that Mitt Romney is evil and he has the ear of the highest church officials. It also proves the 15 support the legalization of sodomite marriage in the PROMISED land. We're witnessing the beginning of the end here. *insert BoM promises of being swept off the land if the people are wicked here*

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

HereWeGo wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:36 pm
Christianlee wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:23 pm I have faith that at some point Jesus will intervene to destroy Satan's plan. It will be dramatic.
Jesus' plan may not be to save the LDS Church. The Davidic Servant may start something new. I don't see how the LDS Church can be reformed as much as would be needed.
You just described d&c 101, lol

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Subcomandante wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 6:44 pm
I wonder which Apostle has oversight responsibility over the North American areas, specifically the East area.
If you find something that shows which apostle is over which area, please share here.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:42 pm
If you find something that shows which apostle is over which area, please share here.
Then remember that RMN said that decisions are made unanimously by the 15. No way such an important endorsement was made by one rogue apostle without all of them approving it.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

LDS Physician wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:50 pm
Then remember that RMN said that decisions are made unanimously by the 15. No way such an important endorsement was made by one rogue apostle without all of them approving it.
You can usually get a clue when you watch the Church News where each apostle has their assignments. Apparently our current Apostle overseeing us as well as Central America is Elder Gong. In the United States I see generally the First Presidency and Elder Ballard with a bit of Bednar and Holland (though the bulk of the latter two they have been in Europe). Christofferson has been traveling all over Africa, and Uchtdorf and Andersen in the Pacific. Rasband has been down in Brazil as has Renlund, and Cook is in the northwest region of South America.

largerthanlife2
captain of 100

Post by largerthanlife2 »

The church was already supporting this legislation in the states such as Arizona and Georgia. The 15 already made the decision with the Utah compact.

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/2/7/ ... n-the-past

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Mike Lee is exposing fake conservative senators.

https://rumble.com/v1wiqmg-mike-lee-is- ... tin-h.html

The last half of the show discusses the death and injury caused by the Covid jabs.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Full article here - https://www.theblaze.com/news/respect-f ... Engagement

Respect for Marriage Act will 'expose religious schools and nonprofits to lawsuits'
CANDACE HATHAWAY
November 23, 2022

The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, is spending more than $1 million to run advertisements during the Thanksgiving weekend NFL and college football games to warn Americans that the new Respect for Marriage Act will "expose religious schools and nonprofits to lawsuits," Fox News Digital reported. It is the biggest campaign the Heritage Foundation has ever launched.

The Respect for Marriage Act's final vote in the Senate is scheduled for Monday, which, if passed, will codify the right to same-sex marriage.

The Heritage Foundation argued that the bill is deceptively named because it does not give same-sex couples new rights. The foundation also warned that it would leave religious schools and nonprofits vulnerable to litigation, which could give the IRS grounds to revoke tax-exempt statuses from religious groups.

"America's religious liberty is under attack with this impending vote in the Senate," Heritage Foundation President Kevin Roberts told Fox News Digital. "This legislation does not add one additional benefit to same-sex couples in the United States; it's an attack that sets the stage to take rights away from people of faith. What it does accomplish is deputizing radical activists to target Americans who cannot in good faith endorse anything other than a man-woman marriage. The American people deserve all the facts."

"Republican senators [and LDS PSR's] claiming the bill protects religious liberty are misleading the public," Roger Severino, the Heritage Foundation's vice president of domestic policy, told Fox News Digital. "Their refusal to require Sen. Lee's amendment is proof of their insincerity."

Lee noted that he voted against the measure last week, calling the legislation's religious liberty protections "severely anemic and largely illusory."

"Religious Americans will be subject to potentially ruinous litigation, while the tax-exempt status of certain charitable organizations, educational institutions and nonprofits will be threatened," Lee stated.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

My understanding is that the unanimity comes from all of the 15 agreeing to a final decision, which is made by the President of the Church.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

larsenb wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:06 pm
My understanding is that the unanimity comes from all of the 15 agreeing to a final decision, which is made by the President of the Church.
Yes, me as well. Additionally, in this case, I don't think for a moment that they all weren't in agreement with this endorsement. It's way to huge a thing for just a single "high-ranking official" to decide to declare.

Otherwise ... where's the denial?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

LDS Physician wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 5:57 pm
larsenb wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:06 pm

Yes, me as well. Additionally, in this case, I don't think for a moment that they all weren't in agreement with this endorsement. It's way to huge a thing for just a single "high-ranking official" to decide to declare.

Otherwise ... where's the denial?
Unless that single individual is Nelson . . .

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

lgbtq russia.jpg
lgbtq russia.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 791 times
LDS Physician wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:38 pm That podcast makes it clear that Mitt Romney is evil and he has the ear of the highest church officials. It also proves the 15 support the legalization of sodomite marriage in the PROMISED land. We're witnessing the beginning of the end here. *insert BoM promises of being swept off the land if the people are wicked here*
It seems even the Russians have it right. Why can't God's prophet? O yea, he's American. LOL

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

ithink wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:24 am lgbtq russia.jpg
LDS Physician wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:38 pm That podcast makes it clear that Mitt Romney is evil and he has the ear of the highest church officials. It also proves the 15 support the legalization of sodomite marriage in the PROMISED land. We're witnessing the beginning of the end here. *insert BoM promises of being swept off the land if the people are wicked here*
It seems even the Russians have it right. Why can't God's prophet? O yea, he's American. LOL
Ithink, it's good to still see you around brother! Happy thanksgiving, and hope all is well.
Last edited by SempiternalHarbinger on November 25th, 2022, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

gkearney wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:55 pm
Thinker wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:44 pm
nightlight wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:55 am…And I never said we didn't need a government... I said the government shouldn't be involved in marriage.…
That perspective shows ignorance about the many children who are born to parents who break up & don’t put their children first (many, including lds divorcees). What exactly do you think would happen to the many children whose parents split & abandon their children - if “government stayed out of marriage”? If marriage is not a societal protection for such children - would would be?

“Marriage simply puts the government on notice that the married partners are now a family unit, and that they lay claim to the natural duties and privileges that accompany procreative relationships.”

The notion that religion should be the sole entity in charge of marriage - & in charge of the main purpose of marriage: the well-being of children/future-society - ignores the fact that even religious people today would not care for their children if government didn’t step in to ensure they did.

What sane person would take away that protection for so many children?

Government involvement in marriage is not ideal, but it’s better than alternative fantasies you’ve suggested.
Marriage as far as the government is concerned is nothing more than a kind of civil contract. Contract law is more than capable of dealing with any of these issues without having the government’s hand in the religious rite of marriage.
And how many young reproductive couples do you know who have gone out of their way to legally write up contracts for their relationship, besides marriage?

Government is because “men are not angels,” not because they are.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

nightlight wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:05 pm
Thinker wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:44 pm
nightlight wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:55 am…And I never said we didn't need a government... I said the government shouldn't be involved in marriage.…
That perspective shows ignorance about the many children who are born to parents who break up & don’t put their children first (many, including lds divorcees). What exactly do you think would happen to the many children whose parents split & abandon their children - if “government stayed out of marriage”? If marriage is not a societal protection for such children - would would be?

“Marriage simply puts the government on notice that the married partners are now a family unit, and that they lay claim to the natural duties and privileges that accompany procreative relationships.”

The notion that religion should be the sole entity in charge of marriage - & in charge of the main purpose of marriage: the well-being of children/future-society - ignores the fact that even religious people today would not care for their children if government didn’t step in to ensure they did.

What sane person would take away that protection for so many children?

Government involvement in marriage is not ideal, but it’s better than alternative fantasies you’ve suggested.
Hilarious watching you put words in my mouth.I never said it should be religion as the authority on marriage Not once did I say that

I think it should be between 2 grown human beings(or 3 people, Outlawing polygamy is a joke ) . Not the state. Not the church. People with free agency in a free society. Calling themselves what they choose to call themselves. Living how they choose to live as long as they are not infringing on somebody else's rights.

And the state getting involved in the custody of children is not the state getting involved in marriage. It's the state getting involved in a broken family. The failure of marriage.

I never suggested protection should be taken from children.

Maybe listen to what people are saying instead of just thinking your thoughts, thinker
If your fantasy were realized, no unbiased part (ie government) would have any clue which parents were responsible for children, if there was not legal marriage. More children would then be part of the state - foster care system. Maybe some in power want this, thus the push for feminism, surrogate parenting, homosexual bs etc.

You & those who unrealistically wish upon a star that government wouldn’t be involved in marriage, ignore what legal marriage does. You take it for granted, as if parents are all angels and don’t need government to ensure they take responsibility for their children. If children were not involved, your fantasy might work - but that’s not reality.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

madvin wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:19 pm Romney has been all about gay rights at least since his Massachusetts days.
Maybe he's paying for his sins, one of which was cat-calling a kid in a speech class during the fellows speech, where Mitt impugned the kid's masculinity; happening when MItt was a senior in High School.

Another of his sins at this time was leading a mob who attacked a long-haired kid, where his cohorts held the kid down while Mitt shaved his hair completely off. (Classified under mob leadership and assault and battery).

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

madvin wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:19 pm Romney has been all about gay rights at least since his Massachusetts days.
Yep Mitt works for these guys:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... Lyons.html

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 26th, 2022, 1:42 pm
Yep Mitt works for these guys:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... Lyons.html
Ghislaine Maxwell is Robert Maxwell’s daughter. Slimey folks.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Got to love the gaslighting.
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/11/2 ... rriage-act
"Why Latter-day Saints . . ."

Bull. Why the LDS CHURCH supports it; not why MEMBERS support it. . . .of course this article is a push article.

It's written to convince the remnants of the Church who are not on-board with this to get on-board.

"“I’m not sure why anybody is surprised,” Elder Gerard said..

You know what Elder Gerard-go suck an egg you spineless coward.

"We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

Oh, I guess we are twisting the common meaning of words these days that "the family" now means 2 queers in "marriage".

Just shut-up and do what you are going to do.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

spiritMan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:13 pm Got to love the gaslighting.
Just shut-up and do what you are going to do.
Move too quickly and you risk breaking someone out of their cognitive dissonance. Longer you take, the better chance you have at retaining the bulk of your consumer base. It also makes it more difficult for anyone to admit they were duped for so long. Human nature shows that's it much less painful to simply double down on the delusion.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

spiritMan wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:13 pm Got to love the gaslighting.
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/11/2 ... rriage-act
"Why Latter-day Saints . . ."

Bull. Why the LDS CHURCH supports it; not why MEMBERS support it. . . .of course this article is a push article.

It's written to convince the remnants of the Church who are not on-board with this to get on-board.
The "religious freedom" amendment in the bill only grants protection to religious institutions, not private individuals. But this is standard operating procedure with the church: you're only covered if you're officially toeing the line and allowed it as part of some bigger organization. They did the same thing with religious exemptions against the clotshot at BYU-Hawaii. No room for sincere, personally-held religious beliefs.

And I'd honestly like to understand how all these supposedly enlightened people now supporting gay marriage can do so while still discriminating against Muslims' religious right to polygamy. Only the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I guess.