"Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out."

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

"Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out."

Post by TrueFaith »

I taught a great lesson today in Elders Quorum. It was a long one, over 45 min...and still didn't get to all my material.

I told them that Covid was a hoax. I told them that the death rate does not warrant this fear. I told them to find courage and to stop trying to "stay safe".

I centered a large part of it on the parable of the Ten Virgins. I encourage you to go watch this video as it does a great job telling it and giving good counsel of the basic meaning.
Here are couple epiphanies I had while pondering it today.

First of all, I believe that the story begins during daylight. The Lord explains that the Savior arrives at midnight. In other words, the Second Coming will be at the very darkest time of day.

Secondly I believe the words, "And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out." In Matt 25:8 describe perfectly what is happening today by those requiring masks and vaccines.

"As it relates to this pandemic, especially in temples, that means social distancing, wearing a mask and not gathering in large groups,” he said. “These steps demonstrate our love for others, and provide us a measure of protection. Wearing a face covering is a sign of Christlike love for our brothers and sisters. COVID-19 is serious. Its consequences are not yet fully understood."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.desere ... le-renlund

Why are we wearing masks? Because it makes people who are afraid, feel better. In other words, these people have run out of oil and are trying to take ours. They lack faith and beg to steal from ours. They do not feel Christlike love in themselves, so they falsely believe they can take ours.

I believe we are at the time of the Bridgroom's return. We are living through the Second Coming right now and many waited around and forgot their oil when times were good (when it was light out).
Now they don't have enough oil to light their lanterns in the darkness surrounding us.
Last edited by TrueFaith on August 22nd, 2021, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpark
captain of 50

Re: "Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out."

Post by jpark »

How was the message received?

HisWrathSoon
captain of 100

Post by HisWrathSoon »

Thank you for your courage. How did they respond? We all need to stand for Christ and truth in all places. You get to a place in your ascension when you cannot give anyone your oil and it is painful. It just isn't possible. We obtain that oil from years of hard work and diligence.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

TrueFaith wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:51 pm I taught a great lesson today in Elders Quorum. It was a long one, over 45 min...and still didn't get to all my material.

I told them that Covid was a hoax. I told them that the death rate does not warrant this fear. I told them to find courage and to stop trying to "stay safe".

I centered a large part of it on the parable of the Ten Virgins. I encourage you to go watch this video as it does a great job telling it and giving good counsel of the basic meaning.

First of all, I believe that the story begins during daylight. The Lord explains that the Savior arrives at midnight. In other words, the Second Coming will be at the very darkest time of day.

Secondly I believe the words, "And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out." In Matt 25:8 describe perfectly what is happening today by those requiring masks and vaccines.

"As it relates to this pandemic, especially in temples, that means social distancing, wearing a mask and not gathering in large groups,” he said. “These steps demonstrate our love for others, and provide us a measure of protection. Wearing a face covering is a sign of Christlike love for our brothers and sisters. COVID-19 is serious. Its consequences are not yet fully understood."

Why are we wearing masks? Because it makes people who are afraid, feel better. In other words, these people have run out of oil and are trying to take ours. They lack faith and beg to steal from ours. They do not feel Christlike love in themselves, so they falsely believe they can take ours.

I believe we are at the time of the Bridgroom's return. We are living through the Second Coming right now and many waited around and forgot their oil when times were good (when it was light out).
Now they don't have enough oil to light their lanterns in the darkness surrounding us.
Sounds great.
How were you able to do this? Are we not supposed to limit our EQP lessons to recent GC talks?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

TrueFaith wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:51 pm "As it relates to this pandemic, especially in temples, that means social distancing, wearing a mask and not gathering in large groups,” he said. “These steps demonstrate our love for others, and provide us a measure of protection. Wearing a face covering is a sign of Christlike love for our brothers and sisters. COVID-19 is serious. Its consequences are not yet fully understood."

Interesting. I think you're on to something there. Thanks for sharing.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

What about Spencer W. Kimball's comments on what the olive oil symbolizes.
Attendance at sacrament meetings adds oil to our lamps, drop by drop over the years. Fasting, family prayer, home teaching, control of bodily appetites, preaching the gospel, studying the scriptures—each act of dedication and obedience is a drop added to our store. Deeds of kindness, payment of offerings and tithes, chaste thoughts and actions, marriage in the covenant for eternity—these, too, contribute importantly to the oil with which we can at midnight refuel our exhausted lamps.
Faith is a small part of what that oil is. I agree that putting your faith in man more than the lord probably puts less oil in your lamp, but I don't agree that the parable applies to Covid alone and that those who are listening to the urgings of the 15 have no oil whatsoever in their lamps.

We all have areas we are stronger in and areas that we are weaker in. I may add most of the oil to my lamp through family prayer but be really weak in the area of reading scriptures, while my neighbor might get most of their oil from studying the scriptures but be weak in the area of fasting.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

jpark wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:57 pm How was the message received?
It felt great, it was great. In fact, I called out the Covid hoax halfway through the lesson and up to that point I felt like the Spirit was missing. I was wondering what I was doing wrong.

After I called it out, I felt the Spirit rush back into the room. Right after I said it, our most liberal member said he "also" recently showed courage by telling his mom the truth about something. IE, "you just told the hard truth, so here is my example".

Incredibly liberating to say it. I asked, "do we not believe in courage anymore, all I hear is "stay safe". Nobody combatted me over it, it was a wonderful feeling of peace to say it. Felt just like this quote:

"Our way must be: Never knowingly support lies! Having understood where the lies begin (and many see this line differently)—step back from that gangrenous edge! Let us not glue back the flaking scales of the Ideology, not gather back its crumbling bones, nor patch together its decomposing garb, and we will be amazed how swiftly and helplessly the lies will fall away, and that which is destined to be naked will be exposed as such to the world."

"Live Not By Lies"
Alexander Solzhenitsyn, 1972

It was liberating and brought the Spirit like a strong wind into the room. We should all be doing this.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Robin Hood wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:03 pm
TrueFaith wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:51 pm I taught a great lesson today in Elders Quorum. It was a long one, over 45 min...and still didn't get to all my material.

Sounds great.
How were you able to do this? Are we not supposed to limit our EQP lessons to recent GC talks?
I used quotes from my assigned talks.

President Dallin H. Oaks: ‘What Has Our Savior Done for Us?’
Elder Neil L. Andersen: ‘The Personal Journey of a Child of God’
Elder José A. Teixeira: ‘Remember Your Way Back Home’
Elder S. Mark Palmer: ‘Our Sorrow Shall Be Turned Into Joy’

I also used a lot of my own material, quotes, videos, etc.

Primary Outcast
captain of 100

Post by Primary Outcast »

I think that we can use the oil in the parable to represent many things. In my opinion it most accurately represents physical preparations required to survive the tribulations. These are things that can be easily purchased ahead of time if we believe they will be needed. When the Lord comes again, I believe we will be practicing the law of consecration where our surplus will not be ours to give to those who ask for it.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

So... Little old 90-year-old great-grandma in the ward who faithfully went to church every Sunday, reads her scriptures, says her prayers, raised faithful children who went on missions and started their own families, went to the Temple weekly, paid a full and faithful tithing, gave a generous fast offering, served in every calling she was asked without a word of complaint, could be counted on to provide food to every family who was going through tribulations. That Grandma has no oil in her lamp because, in her heart, she honestly believes she is doing the right thing and helping others by getting the vaccine and wearing a mask.

Not convinced, sorry.

To be clear, I'm as against the mask and vaccine as anyone on here. I just refuse to believe that it means there is no oil in the lamps of the members who wear masks and get the vaccine.

I haven't been faithful for a large part of my life. I don't wear the mask and I am opposed to the vaccine but I bet my lamp has less oil than that previously mentioned great-grandma.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Primary Outcast wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:36 pm I think that we can use the oil in the parable to represent many things. In my opinion it most accurately represents physical preparations required to survive the tribulations. These are things that can be easily purchased ahead of time if we believe they will be needed. When the Lord comes again, I believe we will be practicing the law of consecration where our surplus will not be ours to give to those who ask for it.
I agree with you, the oil represents spiritual preparation. However can you think of a better example of the foolish begging the wise to share their oil than right now? This specific quote seems to apply very particularly to the Covid measures.

People have lost their ever loving minds trying to get the fearless to comply with the measures. They believe it will bring them peace. As Christ taught us, it WILL NOT.

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

I also taught this scripture in Mark 5.

"25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,
26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,"

They have lost faith and trust to human medicine. This woman had almost lost all her oil...until finally she demonstrated a mustard seed of Faith to trust in Christ. She was healed instantly. I told my class to study this and the story of the Virgins.

The Virgins represent Latter Day Saints and other Christians. Watch the video in my OP. HALF of the church will run out oil and we're watching it right before our eyes.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

I loooooove how some people copy Holland in stretching the parables to some meaning that isn't there. I've also hear the comment that it parables could mean different things at different times

NOT!!!!!!!!! The savior spoke in parables that had ONE meaning. ONE meaning. Not three not changing when you are grown!!! Don't even bother to quote me a comment from the GAs that say there could be several meanings. NO there can't.

Jesus gave one meaning, when asked. period. Jesus meant one thing. period. We do just exactly what he didn't want the people of his day to do. That is, come up with a few different meanings. One meaning.

The oil is explained by our Lord in the D&C - oil is: they received the TRUTH, they had NOT been DECEIVED, they took the HOLY SPIRIT as their guide. period.

sometimes this forum is like listening to GC. They are constantly redoing the parables and making new meanings. It is probably a good idea for them to use their own personal experiences. They can interpret personal experience any way they want.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

a parable in a time of deception!

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

More specifically the foolish are those who are angry and tyrannicaly toward those who don't want to take the vaccine or wear a mask.

A kindly grandma at church choosing to wear a mask, but allowing the CHOICE for others is not what this is talking about.

This is much more a mindset than a behavior. Only God can judge a heart, but I do believe the tyrannical and the angry relently pushing this are among the foolish Virgins.

And FAITH is the first principle of the gospel. All other good behaviors, including the Spirit and truth discovery stem from it.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

TrueFaith wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 2:51 pm…the story begins during daylight. The Lord explains that the Savior arrives at midnight. In other words, the Second Coming will be at the very darkest time of day.

Secondly I believe the words, "And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out." In Matt 25:8 describe perfectly what is happening today by those requiring masks and vaccines. ..

… many waited around and forgot their oil when times were good (when it was light out).
Good insights!
It’s awesome when people liken scriptures to them & current circumstances - that’s the purpose of such parables. Like there are “many mansions/kingdoms,” I imagine there are many interpretations of this parable, but I think 1 thing is evident based on the definition of God (I AM that I AM - spiritual awareness beyond temporal awareness)… the oil for their lamps represents due diligence to see beyond superficial appearances.

What you mentioned suggesting the need to prepare while things are good/light so that we’re ready when things are bad/dark - makes sense in our own lives as well as in external circumstances. Who knows when & how we will be tested? Maybe for 1, the test is in not getting ANOTHER experimental shot despite pressure to… & for another the test is to be kind to those who act shaming/mean - & SEEING that we are all children of God, even when we & others screw up. For all, it may be maintaining faith to see GOoD even when evil abounds…
  • “Love that shines from within cannot be darkened by obstacles of the world of consequences!” - Pythagoras
What could the marriage, in the parable, symbolize? Unity? At-one-ment - not as in human sacrifice scapegoating but as awareness of our mistakes etc., & humbly asking God to help turn our weaknesses into strengths… positive disintegration that puts us back together in new & better ways, unifying us with God.

Wendyw
captain of 10

Post by Wendyw »

Thanks for pointing out that midnight will be our darkest time here on the earth. That makes sense! :)

When I read your summary of this parable it reminded me of : Mat 24:40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left.

You pointing out that midnight will be the darkest hour, hence dawn is approaching or in other words: Christ's second return to live on the earth. I've tried to find answers about the rapture and if it is true, but I just find little clues here and there about it. This appears to also confirm the rapture before the day of desolation. The virgins that had their oil lamps ready for the Lord's return were living righteously. They were taken with the Lord and not left out in the cold- or desolation with the virgins that were not prepared.

I've been studying Isaiah and He frequently refers to the Groom as representing the Lord, and the bride as the church. Very interesting in deed!

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

EvanLM wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:57 pm I loooooove how some people copy Holland in stretching the parables to some meaning that isn't there. I've also hear the comment that it parables could mean different things at different times

NOT!!!!!!!!! The savior spoke in parables that had ONE meaning. ONE meaning. Not three not changing when you are grown!!! Don't even bother to quote me a comment from the GAs that say there could be several meanings. NO there can't.

Jesus gave one meaning, when asked. period. Jesus meant one thing. period. We do just exactly what he didn't want the people of his day to do. That is, come up with a few different meanings. One meaning.

The oil is explained by our Lord in the D&C - oil is: they received the TRUTH, they had NOT been DECEIVED, they took the HOLY SPIRIT as their guide. period.

sometimes this forum is like listening to GC. They are constantly redoing the parables and making new meanings. It is probably a good idea for them to use their own personal experiences. They can interpret personal experience any way they want.
That doesn’t explain how, after the foolish went and *purchased* oil (noticed that the wise were never said to purchase it - they “took” it)...they were still rejected by Lord.

Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

The video in the OP leaves this part out, entirely. They could have gone the JST route - but they just left it out entirely.

Why did the Lord STILL reject them if they had gone and obtained TRUTH?

There’s only one explanation that has ever made sense to me:

The oil is the oil pressed in Gethsemane. It is received (taken), not purchased. When you have to “purchase” the oil for your own lamp it’s like having to pay for your own sins after being found unrepentant at the final day (D&C 19 all men must repent or suffer). But if you end up having to suffer for your own sins, is Christ in you like He is in the person who took upon themselves His righteousness?

In that context, Gma Do-Gooder can still be rejected when the bridegroom comes if she has forsaken Him in favor of some other god promising salvation, physical or otherwise.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

And then there is the interesting alternative offered to the unwise:

go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

If the oil is TRUTH, who sells it for $?
If the oil is SPIRIT, where can one buy it with $?

Maybe this oil they buy with money is at the root of the distinction between the wise and foolish. Who trades in money besides false gods?…with the false light they produce and the false salvation they offer?

Or maybe the experience of Alma the Younger is relevant:
But I was racked with ​​​eternal​ ​​​torment​, for my soul was ​​​harrowed up​ to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.
​​​Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was ​​​tormented​ with the ​​​pains​ of hell; yea, I saw that I had ​​​rebelled​ against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
​​​Yea, and I had ​​​murdered​ many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
​​​Oh, thought I, that I ​​​could​ be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my ​​​deeds​.
​​​And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the ​​​pains​ of a ​​​damned​ soul.
​​​And it came to pass that as I was thus ​​​racked​ with torment, while I ​​was ​​​harrowed up​ by the ​​​memory​ of my many sins, behold, I ​​​remembered​ also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
​​​Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, ​​​have​ mercy on me, who am ​​​in​ the ​​​gall of bitterness​, and am encircled about by the everlasting ​​​chains​ of ​​​death​.
​​​And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my ​​​pains​ ​​​no more​; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
Alma was fortunate that he was given the opportunity to repent in time. But what about those who run out of time before they can be brought to repentance? Do they experience the same torment at the hands of *the* false god, the prince of Hell? Does punishment and wrath eventually produce “children of the Light”?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Pazooka wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:20 pm
EvanLM wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:57 pmI loooooove how some people copy Holland in stretching the parables to some meaning that isn't there. I've also hear the comment that it parables could mean different things at different times

NOT!!!!!!!!! The savior spoke in parables that had ONE meaning. ONE meaning. Not three not changing when you are grown!!!…
That doesn’t explain how, after the foolish went and *purchased* oil (noticed that the wise were never said to purchase it - they “took” it)...they were still rejected by Lord.

Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

The video in the OP leaves this part out, entirely. They could have gone the JST route - but they just left it out entirely.

Why did the Lord STILL reject them if they had gone and obtained TRUTH? ...
Good points!
It’s interesting the terms, “virgins” and “I know you not” were used. “Know” is used to suggest intercourse. Obviously since the 144k were said to be virgins, the term, “virgins” is used symbolically, not literally. Maybe like, being most intimate with & worshipping only God.

And to be considered worthy by lds standards, you must pay A LOT… 10% of your income. One of the greatest Ponzi schemes! How many members actually believe they can buy worthiness!!! Their god is not God, but the church & their goal is not to please the God of truth, but to jump through all the hoops & please church leaders. They prioritize praises of men over God.

Also of note is context… Christ gave 2 other parables trying to explain “the kingdom of Heaven.”

First was the 10 virgins, maybe because it was foundational aspects of the other 2. If you’re blind, then you might do more damage than good. And you can’t buy wisdom. 2nd was the talents: make use of what God gives you. 3rd: sheep & goats & caring for those in need, as if you were caring for God.

See clearly, so that you use God’s gifts to best keep the greatest commandments - to love God, others & self.

One other thought that led me to look up this topic…
It’s not that I don’t want to “share my light”, but that it’s impossible to transfer knowledge and awareness completely, especially to those pridefully ignor-ant. Likewise, if I want more light & knowledge, I need to let go of pride & be teachable.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

markharr wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:38 pm So... Little old 90-year-old great-grandma in the ward who faithfully went to church every Sunday, reads her scriptures, says her prayers, raised faithful children who went on missions and started their own families, went to the Temple weekly, paid a full and faithful tithing, gave a generous fast offering, served in every calling she was asked without a word of complaint, could be counted on to provide food to every family who was going through tribulations. That Grandma has no oil in her lamp because, in her heart, she honestly believes she is doing the right thing and helping others by getting the vaccine and wearing a mask.

Not convinced, sorry.

To be clear, I'm as against the mask and vaccine as anyone on here. I just refuse to believe that it means there is no oil in the lamps of the members who wear masks and get the vaccine.

I haven't been faithful for a large part of my life. I don't wear the mask and I am opposed to the vaccine but I bet my lamp has less oil than that previously mentioned great-grandma.

Where is grandma's faith? Is it in Christ? Or is it in the arm of the flesh? A lot of wonderful people have been deceived. A bunch of people I thought were stalwart members who had incredible faith turned out that they did not really have faith in Christ. They did not really understand the scriptures, and had men as their idols.

It was because the watchtower was not built, that the enemy was able to come in and trample the vineyard. Who is in charge of building the watchtower?

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Thinker wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 8:05 am

First was the 10 virgins, maybe because it was foundational aspects of the other 2. If you’re blind, then you might do more damage than good. And you can’t buy wisdom. 2nd was the talents: make use of what God gives you. 3rd: sheep & goats & caring for those in need, as if you were caring for God.

See clearly, so that you use God’s gifts to best keep the greatest commandments - to love God, others & self.

One other thought that led me to look up this topic…
It’s not that I don’t want to “share my light”, but that it’s impossible to transfer knowledge and awareness completely, especially to those pridefully ignor-ant. Likewise, if I want more light & knowledge, I need to let go of pride & be teachable.
I would agree with you on these parables being all encompassing and lofty if it wasn’t for all the other words the lord said.

Matthew 13: 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Matthew 10: 34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 12: 51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
56 Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?

His parables are exact, like him and the ones who confess of being a disciple or apostle and don’t see and understand them are hypocrites.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I find it noteworthy that the "foolish" virgins had run out of oil, rather than never had any in the first place.
Perhaps they lit them too early because they thought they knew when the bridegroom was going to arrive.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Robin Hood wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 10:08 am I find it noteworthy that the "foolish" virgins had run out of oil, rather than never had any in the first place.
Perhaps they lit them too early because they thought they knew when the bridegroom was going to arrive.
Fascinating. I had never thought of that. Thanks, Robin Hood!

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Robin Hood wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 10:08 am I find it noteworthy that the "foolish" virgins had run out of oil, rather than never had any in the first place.
They ran out of oil, I thought, because they only had the oil that had been in their own lamp during life. They fell asleep and their lamps went out (ie they died). Upon waking (the dead being called forth) the only ones to have any light (heavenly light) were those that had taken the oil in the vessel apart from their own lamp (received from God through Jesus). The apocrypha adds that the door being shut is the river of fire that separates them from the righteous.