Temple Recommend Question Number 7

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Temple Recommend Question Number 7

Post by LDS Physician »

"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Can any of the 15 answer this in the negative after their declared support of the marriage act?

I've already had 2 members ask me this when I've read this question to them during recommend interviews.

It reminds me back in the day when I'd ask the (now changed) question which asked "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Multiple members would ask me, "Do the Boy Scouts of America count?" Back when the BSA was wandering into LGBT realms.

This is getting ... uncomfortable.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Re: Temple Recommend Question Number 7

Post by Letfreedumbring »

This is the sign of a church ripe in apotasy when its own teachings and history are its very best critics.

It cannot even bear the weight of the same standards it requires of its members.

Are you honest in all your dealing with your fellow man?
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on November 21st, 2022, 6:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

LDS Physician wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:32 pm "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Can any of the 15 answer this in the negative after their declared support of the marriage act?

I've already had 2 members ask me this when I've read this question to them during recommend interviews.

It reminds me back in the day when I'd ask the (now changed) question which asked "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Multiple members would ask me, "Do the Boy Scouts of America count?" Back when the BSA was wandering into LGBT realms.

What did you say to them?

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

nightlight wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:36 pm
LDS Physician wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:32 pm "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

I basically tell them that "I'm not interviewing them, I'm interviewing you. However, I completely agree with your point."

With the BSA thing, I'd laugh, which would make them laugh, which sort of dismissed the subject. It didn't take long for them to change that question and then for them to leave the BSA altogether.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

So how is it not completely lying when the church claims to never use tithing funds for City Creek and then is found out by a whistleblower? It is baffling how that can be excused away by most members.

We want to give them the benefit of the doubt of course but if it was on the up and up wouldn't the church immediately refute the claims with easily verifiable proof?

The silence is speaking louder than words at this point.
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on November 21st, 2022, 9:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

LDS Physician wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:38 pm
nightlight wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:36 pm

I basically tell them that "I'm not interviewing them, I'm interviewing you. However, I completely agree with your point."

With the BSA thing, I'd laugh, which would make them laugh, which sort of dismissed the subject. It didn't take long for them to change that question and then for them to leave the BSA altogether.
Strange times

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

What exactly is "the doctrine of the church"?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I believe these questions were literally designed to put people in a state of cognitive dissonance before they even step foot into a temple.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

They can answer in the affirmative even after declaring support for the act.

The reason for this is that they are not affirming that teaching within the bounds of the Church. The moment they do that, then they can answer in the negative.

The moment when any LDS Church official starts officiating in a same sex marriage ceremony within his calling (not as a clerk for example), is the moment which he commits an act of apostasy and he would be excommunicable.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

p8riot wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:26 pm

Brilliant - and that’s where they getcha. It’s whatever the corporation agrees upon, if I’m not mistaken.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"
should be...
"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of Jesus Christ?"

No democrat on earth could answer this truthfully in the negative. It would not be possible for any Q15 to get a recommend unless they lied.

NONE of the things the church believes in are Christlike. If they were, they could not be democrats.

I had to explain to my daughter today the real reason the church keeps building temples even though membership is in a free fall. Temples are a cash cow. Buy 500 to a thousand acres of cheap land. Announce a temple. Build 500 high dollar homes on the cheap land surrounding the temple site. Profit a hundred grand on each home. Double that if they also provide financing. Rinse and Repeat.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Letfreedumbring wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:34 pm This is the sign of a church ripe in apotasy when its own teachings and history are its very best critics.

It cannot even bear the weight of the same standards it requires of its members.

Are you honest in all your dealing with your fellow man?

It's becoming like the US Gov't cracking down on citizens who dare to use Constitutional gold and silver as money.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

p8riot wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:26 pm

It changes every quarter with the handbook updates. Try and keep up.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

The problem is they contradict themselves so often, sometimes in the same week, that one can say yes and no at the same time.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Subcomandante wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:40 pm
The moment when any LDS Church official starts officiating in a same sex marriage ceremony within his calling (not as a clerk for example), is the moment which he commits an act of apostasy and he would be excommunicable.
2030 General Conference says hold my beer.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Fred wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:07 pm

should be...
"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of Jesus Christ?"

No democrat on earth could answer this truthfully in the negative. It would not be possible for any Q15 to get a recommend unless they lied.

NONE of the things the church believes in are Christlike. If they were, they could not be democrats.

I had to explain to my daughter today the real reason the church keeps building temples even though membership is in a free fall. Temples are a cash cow. Buy 500 to a thousand acres of cheap land. Announce a temple. Build 500 high dollar homes on the cheap land surrounding the temple site. Profit a hundred grand on each home. Double that if they also provide financing. Rinse and Repeat.
Wait, they do that with the land around the temples?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

I think every time I was asked this one I told them I support[ed] the Republican party, and then they laughed, and moved on to the next question.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

The reason for this is that they are not affirming that teaching within the bounds of the Church. The moment they do that, then they can answer in the negative.

The Church affiliated with the UN, various LGBTQ groups, and many other groups that conflict.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

The Church affiliated with the UN, various LGBTQ groups, and many other groups that conflict.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

The church is not honest or transparent at all and we should be interviewing them instead.

Also people need to stop putting their faith in objects. Garments, temples, tithing, temple recommends, etc. They associate their salvation with these things and it’s not healthy but superstitious.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Letfreedumbring wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 1:32 am
2030 General Conference says hold my beer.
I used to think that wasn't going to ever happen and that the Lord would intervene, perhaps He still will when the time comes.

The nuclear family, the family structure that The Family Proclamation solemnly proclaims is the only ordained family structure by God, should be the only fundamental unit of society recorded in temple records.

I was looking at the updated GEDCOM 7.0.11 tech document the other day, which is used by the church for FamilySearch and noticed that everything is setup and ready for a future update for the church to record "the diversity of human family relationships". FamilySearch is already a joke with people linking people that aren't related to the family. Next, we're going to have people going back through the records and changing sexual orientations of people. "My great-great uncle Joey was gay!"
3.2.2 Records FAMILY_RECORD
The FAM record was originally structured to represent families where a male HUSB (husband or father) and female WIFE (wife or mother) produce CHIL (children). The FAM record may also be used for cultural parallels to this, including nuclear families, marriage, cohabitation, fostering, adoption, and so on, regardless of the gender of the partners. Sex, gender, titles, and roles of partners should not be inferred based on the partner that the HUSB or WIFE structure points to.

The individuals pointed to by the HUSB and WIFE are collectively referred to as “partners”, “parents” or “spouses”.

Some displays may be unable to display more than 2 partners. Displays may use HUSB and WIFE as layout hints, for example, by consistently displaying the HUSB on the same side of the WIFE in a tree view. Family structures with more than 2 partners may either use several FAM records or use ASSOCIATION_STRUCTUREs to indicate additional partners.

The FAM record will be revised in a future version to more fully express the diversity of human family relationships.
By acknowledging and calling a grievous sin a transgression, is one reason the church is in its current situation where many are calling that it is in apostasy. Church records should not acknowledge or record gay relationships and be tainted by the sins of this world. There are plenty of other databases and government records people could use instead.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

[Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?]

The leaders redefine teachings, practices, and doctrine, nearly everyday. This is their church not yours. Conform or get out. Your choice.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

Mamabear wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:55 am The church is not honest or transparent at all and we should be interviewing them instead.

Also people need to stop putting their faith in objects. Garments, temples, tithing, temple recommends, etc. They associate their salvation with these things and it’s not healthy but superstitious.

I thought it was laughable how this past conference Elder Holland explained why we don’t revere the cross…. The very symbol of His saving act…. While at the same time we believe we are covenant breakers if we don’t wear our magic underwear day and night…

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

I don’t believe God told Joseph to marry 40 women. And I don't believe he did.
I don’t believe Joseph taught Brigham Young to marry 40 women. But he did.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JandD6572 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:33 am
Fred wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:07 pm

should be...

Wait, they do that with the land around the temples?
They didn't here.