Loud laughter

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Re: Loud laughter

Post by Mamabear »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:55 pm
Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:38 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am More reasons I don’t believe the doctrine and covenants.
I think those verses are simply highlighting excessive laughter. Yes, laughter is very healing and therapeutic and I even still chuckle at all the inappropriate jokes, but excessive laughter can be antithetical to the Lord bringing us down into the depths of humility when he needs to and that is where we learn and grow and can hear the spirit. I think it is safe to say that the spirit does not find us teachable during states of excessive laughter. A continuous state of laughter would void most teaching and learning opportunities and we would find it hard to follow the BoM's admonition to consider ourselves fools before God.
I love being in a state of continuous laughter as I watch lots of episodes of the office….
BF2F08D0-DC12-4078-B916-7201F584DE51.jpeg
One of the funniest TV characters to ever grace our screens....he was so good at that role too. Non stop laughs, especially the earlier seasons of the office 🤣🤣
Yep! He is too funny! And when he left it wasn’t the same!

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

❝I think it’s when things find themselves similar to drunkenness that it’s wrong.

"1 The words "through wine" were afterwards crossed out, presumably to lessen the thought that Joseph Smith Sr. drank liquor. The words "Salt Lake City" were written on the side of Patriarchal Blessing Book 1:20. On a copy of Hyrum Smith's blessing in Patriarchal Blessing Book 2:2, the words "and though he has been out of the way through wine" were crossed out.
"
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Patriarc ... _1834-1840

ummm..., in early church settings some members might have tendency to succumb to the point of severe intoxication ?!..

"Abnormal intoxication
Normal intoxication that corresponds to the blood concentration of alcohol is called simple intoxication. On the other hand, there is a type of intoxication that is accompanied by mental symptoms such as marked excitement and hallucinations that do not correspond to the blood concentration, and this is distinguished as abnormal intoxication. This is the type of intoxication generally referred to as drunkenness.

As many people have experienced, intoxication varies from person to person. It has been known empirically since ancient times that there are various ways to get drunk, with words such as "laughing or crying. Drunkenness is brought about by the effect of alcohol on brain function. Since there are individual differences in how alcohol affects brain functions, there are also individual differences in how intoxicated a person becomes. Usually, as the concentration of alcohol in the body increases, the person will feel refreshed, lose emotional inhibitions, and become more talkative and loud ⇒ become dazed and unable to hold a conversation. Some people become de-suppressed with a small amount of alcohol and become hyper-verbal, while others fall asleep immediately.

Some people become aggressive and impulsive when intoxicated, a condition known as "drunkenness," which can cause problems for those around them. There are people who engage in impulsive criminal behavior while intoxicated (intoxication crimes), and the issue of liability for crimes committed while intoxicated has become a contentious issue in the judicial arena.

It has been reported that approximately 60% of the convicts in the U.S. National Vital Statistics (more than 14,000 people) used alcohol or drugs at the time of the offense, and approximately 30% were in the alcohol alone group [1]. It is known that crimes committed while intoxicated are generally more likely to lead to violence and sexual offenses. Recently, criminal policy tends to take a rather strict attitude toward liability for intoxication crimes, based on the idea that since the drinking behavior itself is based on the person's free choice, the resulting criminal act is also a "free act in cause" [2].

Binder's classification is a typical intoxication classification used in Japan [Figure]. It divides into three categories, ranging from normal intoxication to pathological intoxication. Abnormal intoxication is further classified into complex intoxication, which is quantitatively different from simple intoxication, and pathological intoxication, which is qualitatively different. These classifications cannot be determined by objective physical indicators and are based on symptomatic observations.
"
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) ++

sushi_ was found to be merry drinker type, remembers someone made a trick and sushi_ drink a small cup of sake(rice liquor) .. became talkative and dropped sleep .. that was before age 10 ..

also remembers a movie made sushi_ almost uncontrollable loud laughing, doesn't remember title, unable to find in youtube, but it was of peter sellers, probably not panther series, and the movie theater was called joseph smith auditorium (byu provo campus), that was 1980s ..
:arrow:

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Sushi ~ I’ll get back to you on that Sellers’ movie. We’re you the only person laughing at the beginning of it?

More about that tomorrow...

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Sushi ~ I wonder if this isn't the Peter Sellers 'short' that caused your 'light minded, loud laughter'?

In my childhood and young adult years my home town, Portland, Oregon, was a wonderfully cosmopolitan small city with museums exhibiting works of international artists, a fine symphony orchestra, a youth symphony of world recognition, community theater involving children & youth through the city parks programs, small theater productions, and...at least four repertory/revival cinema theaters where foreign films by 'the Great' international directors were projected for the sophisticated Portland audiences.

In early 1962, as I recall, a close LDS high school chum went along with me to view some complex foreign film being shown at a downtown 'repertory theater'. I cannot recall exactly what that main feature film was - Italian, French, Russian, Spanish...?

My good friend came from a steady LDS family and wasn't inclined to outbursts of hilarity. After viewing the main feature, an unannounced 'short' was looped through the projector. It proved such a shock compared to the previous showing, the entire audience sat in stunned silence at least a third of the way through the film, until my dear unsophisticated, Susie, burst into laughter - best described as guffawing more than tittering. She couldn't help it! The audience reacted its disapproval with 'hushing', until another member of the audience likewise burst forth prompting even more & greater outbursts from every quarter until the entire company was figuratively rolling on the floor.

Could this have been the film shown at BYU in 1980?

The Case of the Mukkinese Battle-Horn

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

nope, it was colour one, and probably the scene was towards the end. after lights on, kinda felt embarrassed seeing some may have been watching ... so, probably wont tell detail more, doesn't want to repeat it after about 4 decades ...
believes went there as a group, but all remembers is just one caucasian guy, returned missionary from sushi_ 's country, he was from provo?! ..
let sushi_ escape from further inquisition .. bhwaaaa.
:arrow:

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Godislove wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am not with much laughter, for this is sin, D&C 59:15.
cast away … your excess of laughter far from you, D&C 88:69.
my take on this is :

-Mocking laughter
-Derisive laughter
-Arrogant laughter

keep in mind , the scripture says "excess" laughter :)