Tour of downtown Salt Lake City and it's homeless crisis...when the Mormon Church owns a trillion dollars

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Tour of downtown Salt Lake City and it's homeless crisis...when the Mormon Church owns a trillion dollars

Post by Cruiserdude »

TheChristian wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:50 am I have been homeless in my youth, have also worked in Christian homeless shelters, the best way is to see to their temporal needs, show them compassion, then you have no end of opportunities to tell them about Jesus..........
A starving man or woman, one whom has no coat apon their backs and is freezing will most likely not want a lecture, but he needs his belly filling first and a coat apon his back to keep him warm, giving him such fullfills said need and softens their hearts and attitudes towards you, then you will find you have their ears and can give them the true food of Life, the story of Jesus of Nazerath.......
Some of the greatest miracles and conversions in these last days occur amongst such benighted and oft forgotten people.

I was working in the Elim pentecostal Homeless shelter down by the harbour of Aberdeen, Scotland.
It was January and the frost was hard apon the ground, sitting apon the doorstep of the shelter as I was coming bye was a man with long wild greasy hair, he stunk to high heaven, his parker coast was in tatters , he had no socks on his feet and his toes all peeped out of his torn canvas trainers.
He was all huddled up, shaking,as he was withdrawing from herione.
We took him in, ensured he had all his temporal needs were met.
He had once been a millionare, a famous Pop star in the late 60s early Seventies, with a group that had many hits, he had it all mansions, wine, women, song, fame and fortune, drugs dragged him into the very gutter............
He became a Christian, wrote fantastic songs of praise for the churchs.

Mary was a hardcore Punk rocker that stood around the big monuement in the centre of Aberdeen, she was homeless, she also was a prostitute whom practised her trade in the nearbye graveyard.
Again there was times she had no trade or it was far to cold to sleep in doorways, she was encountered by the christians in the late nite soups.........
She was in the newspapers some time afterwards.........It appeared she was the daughter of a very wealthy and powerfull Lord and Lady of the kingdom. Alas they both died and the former prostitute punkess of Aberdeen become a wealthy powerfull woman and Duchess of the Land, but far, far better than that she was a Christian.........She bore bright testimony to her conversion to Jesus in said newspapers, and it was all due to christians late at night seeking homeless and destitute people like her.........

As said attend to the homeless and the down trodden, then tell them about Jesus, He is the only one that can heal wrecked and broken lives...........
And this is how we truly preach the gospel of our Lord and King.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Re: Tour of downtown Salt Lake City and it's homeless crisis...when the Mormon Church owns a trillion dollars

Post by FrankOne »

Dave62 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:43 am Money seldom solves the homeless problem.
I was working on a large project years ago that could have potentially made me a great deal of money. I had made a plan of what to do with such a great deal of liquid cash. Suffice it say, the project started well, but greed destroyed it. The nature of men. It almost destroyed me in losing hope for humanity in general.

My father was wealthy. He had helicopters/mercedes etc. Piloted the helicopters himself.
Long story short, he suffered from a great personal loss, not money related, and after several years of blowing his money while in severe depression, he was found walking as a homeless bum on the streets of Vegas. He had chosen to get lost from the family so we had no idea where he was.

My father was a man's man. Could accomplish anything. Great man to be around. Wise and thoughtful. Extremely generous. To know that he was on the streets brought me to a different perspective concerning those that are in need . It broke my heart open. If he could be on the streets, who else was there?

My plan was to build a homeless facility in Vegas. I created an entire business plan of how it could be done effectively to do whatever possible to rehabilitate the homeless. Medical, job training, housing. I was going to involve other local businessmen and go big. The program would have been very detailed to cover all the inherent difficulties and facets.

Yes, many of the homeless don't want real help, but many could be brought out of their condition with the right kind of help, which is not found in any metro areas. It's all about money and not about truly assisting people. edit to add - there are small programs that do a great work, but they are severely underfunded and lack full facilities.

The LDS church could do SO MUCH MORE. but...they don't . They do what the world does. Their God is of Babylon.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Robin Hood wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:40 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:32 am The church is amassing all this wealth.... For what purpose?

So that they can build churches and temples that are scattered all over the world? This is not gathering Israel. "But they are saving it for later!" Later?? What happens later? Do we not know that money will be made worthless? How will they be able to continue to have Israel scattered while being broke as to the things they once hoarded?
I think most of the church's wealth is in assets rather than money.
Even if money becomes worthless, things like land, buildings, farms, businesses etc will still have value, though not a monetary value.
The Ensign Peak treasure is liquid. Not Real Estate. It is either cash, gold, silver, platinum, stocks, or whatever that can be converted to cash in less than an hour.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

The Red Pill wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:01 am There are programs that do work, such as Switchpoint in the Saint George area. Designed to get people back on their feet. In return for a place to sleep and a couple meals a day...they have to work..do laundry, prepare meals. In the day they are to go out and seek employment. They offer employment counciling and life counciling. Many success stories from the program.

The Church could OBVIOUSLY duplicate that type of program for the homeless in SLC...but they don't...it would mean drawing funds from the Ensign Peak Advisors account balance.
This is true in principle. However, I have little faith in the church's ability to copy a successful program without screwing it up. Back in the day when I frequented AA meetings, I was told by my Bishop that I would heal much quicker if I went to the LDS version of AA. What a joke. It probably makes people drink more. I would not recommend the LDS AA to anyone. It totally sucks.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:43 am The greatest good that should happen for these precious souls is to have Christ's servants walk among them and cast out demons.
^
There are few that understand what you've just said.

the least are the greatest and the greatest (in their own minds) are the least.

for the most part, true understanding has fled the earth.

the 'strong' are merely those that have not yet been broken. Those that have been broken discover that their previous strength was ill founded. The only foundation is God and nothing more. Your job, your learning, your intelligence, your specialness, your money, your manicured yard .....nothing, absolutely meaningless.

there are the extremely few that rely completely on their foundation in God and I am not one of them. It's a life's work.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

The Red Pill wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:01 am There are programs that do work, such as Switchpoint in the Saint George area. Designed to get people back on their feet. In return for a place to sleep and a couple meals a day...they have to work..do laundry, prepare meals. In the day they are to go out and seek employment. They offer employment counciling and life counciling. Many success stories from the program.

The Church could OBVIOUSLY duplicate that type of program for the homeless in SLC...but they don't...it would mean drawing funds from the Ensign Peak Advisors account balance.
I know several people that have worked at Switchpoint and Sunrise. As well as two daughters that are nurses in those facilities. They are good programs. Cost is somewhere around 8k+ a month per person. As stated on the thread, the church could create programs like this for the homeless, but there is no money in it. No return on their balance sheet. Not enough public recognition to make it pay politically. This is how it is.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:43 am The greatest good that should happen for these precious souls is to have Christ's servants walk among them and cast out demons.
And yet missionaries are told to avoid and not baptize.

pho·to·syn·the·sis
captain of 100

Post by pho·to·syn·the·sis »

The City Creek Mall reminds me of the “house of the sodomites”, that were removed from the temple in the days of Asa. Even the Jews allowed beggars near the gates of the temple. Can the temple become an idol? Is it already our idol??

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Fred wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:32 am The church is amassing all this wealth.... For what purpose?

So that they can build churches and temples that are scattered all over the world? This is not gathering Israel. "But they are saving it for later!" Later?? What happens later? Do we not know that money will be made worthless? How will they be able to continue to have Israel scattered while being broke as to the things they once hoarded?
Even if money becomes worthless, things like land, buildings, farms, businesses etc will still have value, though not a monetary value.
The Ensign Peak treasure is liquid. Not Real Estate. It is either cash, gold, silver, platinum, stocks, or whatever that can be converted to cash in less than an hour.
They're vulnerable then.
If I was in charge of that fund I would buy up real things like land/farms and essential businesses, and divest it of so much liquidity.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Robin Hood wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:32 pm

They're vulnerable then.
If I was in charge of that fund I would buy up real things like land/farms and essential businesses, and divest it of so much liquidity.
They already have. Aside from temples and chapels across the world, they own the bulk of Florida. Every temple they build is surrounded by vast real estate, which profits more than pay for the temple. Real estate jumps 1000% around a temple once it is announced. So they buy the land first and then announce. The people that buy these nice, new homes, pay big tithing. They win again.

The investors at Ensign Peak invest in anything that pays big.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Robin Hood wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:32 pm

They're vulnerable then.
They’re busy buying Texas…….

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

buffalo_girl wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:16 am Sorry state of affairs in SLC. Glad we are out of there!

Here's an example of a solid solution for homelessness and addiction, IN Salt Lake City
It will take more than one such program in the city.

scroll down for video:

https://www.theothersideacademy.com/

https://utahstories.com/2020/04/the-oth ... lake-city/
AND...it is available to those willing to make a commitment of 30 months at NO cost to the individual enrolled!

Those enrolled, WORK at assigned jobs - including a moving business started by The Other Side Academy which combined effort earns the funds necessary to sustain the program. NO government subsidy.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

buffalo_girl wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:10 pm
buffalo_girl wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:16 am Sorry state of affairs in SLC. Glad we are out of there!

Here's an example of a solid solution for homelessness and addiction, IN Salt Lake City

scroll down for video:

AND...it is available to those willing to make a commitment of 30 months at NO cost to the individual enrolled!

Those enrolled, WORK at assigned jobs - including a moving business started by The Other Side Academy which combined effort earns the funds necessary to sustain the program. NO government subsidy.
What about the homeless who are not functioning adults due to a life of trauma?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Until the Lord sees in His mind to make an end of all nations to the point where the gathering that you speak of can truly happen to the center stakes of Zion.

Unless you support illegal immigration, that is.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:17 pm
buffalo_girl wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:10 pm

scroll down for video:

What about the homeless who are not functioning adults due to a life of trauma?
It is my understanding that anyone who wants to and is committed to the terms will be enrolled. There is zero tolerance for the addict’s go-to manipulation of systems & individuals to feed addiction - whatever that addiction is.

If homelessness is fundamentally a result of the addictive response to trauma, it is essential to provide a safe environment wherein those who have achieved success can emotionally support and hold accountable those navigating their journey out of darkness into a productive life.

This approach probably can’t work for people with a fundamental physical/mental disorder requiring medical intervention, but I am convinced that most behavioral conditions requiring prescription medication would be better managed with focused nutritional management along with consistent talk therapy. People adrift in the world without a safe harbor are helpless. A quarterly check in with an out patient clinic psychiatrist to renew a psychotropic prescription - which most often contributes to hopelessness - is no solution for the individual’s or society’s problem.

Our family has experienced long years of effort to assist a son with multiple early life trauma - physical, sexual, & emotional - to where he can feel safe, productive, & confident in his own life’s course. It would have been a blessing to have had a church community be more willing to understand than to judge and to isolate us.

More members of our religious community are facing major challenges of this sort within their own families. Seems like The Church could do a lot of good by establishing programs like The Other Side Academy or drop-in programs where individuals could consistently find an ear to hear & eyes to see.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

The life changing power of Jesus of Nazareth...........

When a teenager I did stints in jail, my mates and I, all ex cons dwelt in a derelict house, we were detested and feared in the town.
One night after taking my Gypsy girlfriend back home, on the way back a Christian stopped and spoke to me, he took me up to his house, gave me food, bedding, etc to take back to my mates.
He then spoke about Jesus, I was not interested, but knew if I did not ask questions I might not be able to come back sometime and get more freebies, etc.
He asked if he could pray for me and Jesus would show His love for me that very night. And so I got on my knees feeling embarrassed.
As he prayed he began to speak in another language, then all of a sudden wether before my eyes or some other way I seen a naked man with long black hair hanging apon a cross, it was all dark as if the sun had hid its light, he was in great agony as he hung there, this vision would not leave me, suddenly the christian stopped praying and said to me " Can you see Calvary?"
When it dawned apon me that this christian was also seeing what I was seeing, this most glorious influence swept right thru my entire body, filling me with a love, a joy, a glory so vibrant,, a wonderous life giving power that enraptured my soul that Jesus of Nazerath was a living reality and that He loved me so much He was willing to pay the price of my sins apon that cross I was seeing in vision........
I got off my knees knowing that wether I followed this Jesus or not my life would never be the same again.......

Political methods, the police, the courts and even well meaning Godless men, academics, Doctors, psycholigists, medication, treatment or rehabilitation centres cannot remedy the sinfull state of mankind and all its attendent woes and afflictions caused by our fallen natures...........
Only the love, grace and life saving power of Jesus of Nazerath can raise us up above our fallen state and cure ALL mankinds ills...........

See to peoples temporal needs by all means but then tell them the story of Jesus our Lord, thats the only message that can heal nations and the individual.............
Its the old, old message, that is ever new and is the power of life unto salvation.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

TheChristian wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:13 am The life changing power of Jesus of Nazareth...........

When a teenager I did stints in jail, my mates and I, all ex cons dwelt in a derelict house, we were detested and feared in the town.
One night after taking my Gypsy girlfriend back home, on the way back a Christian stopped and spoke to me, he took me up to his house, gave me food, bedding, etc to take back to my mates.
He then spoke about Jesus, I was not interested, but knew if I did not ask questions I might not be able to come back sometime and get more freebies, etc.
He asked if he could pray for me and Jesus would show His love for me that very night. And so I got on my knees feeling embarrassed.
As he prayed he began to speak in another language, then all of a sudden wether before my eyes or some other way I seen a naked man with long black hair hanging apon a cross, it was all dark as if the sun had hid its light, he was in great agony as he hung there, this vision would not leave me, suddenly the christian stopped praying and said to me " Can you see Calvary?"
When it dawned apon me that this christian was also seeing what I was seeing, this most glorious influence swept right thru my entire body, filling me with a love, a joy, a glory so vibrant,, a wonderous life giving power that enraptured my soul that Jesus of Nazerath was a living reality and that He loved me so much He was willing to pay the price of my sins apon that cross I was seeing in vision........
I got off my knees knowing that wether I followed this Jesus or not my life would never be the same again.......

Political methods, the police, the courts and even well meaning Godless men, academics, Doctors, psycholigists, medication, treatment or rehabilitation centres cannot remedy the sinfull state of mankind and all its attendent woes and afflictions caused by our fallen natures...........
Only the love, grace and life saving power of Jesus of Nazerath can raise us up above our fallen state and cure ALL mankinds ills...........

See to peoples temporal needs by all means but then tell them the story of Jesus our Lord, thats the only message that can heal nations and the individual.............
Its the old, old message, that is ever new and is the power of life unto salvation.
Beautiful. Thank you. God has required homelessness from me as an old lady. I was able to teach many about Jesus. I hope I helped some go to the light. More recently I cast out for some. Jesus is the only way.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

The pure in heart are the outcasts. The shelters are hell. They are controlled by the city's corruption, the convicts and addicts. That's why they stay outside and camp.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Subcomandante wrote: November 21st, 2022, 4:34 am

Until the Lord sees in His mind to make an end of all nations to the point where the gathering that you speak of can truly happen to the center stakes of Zion.

Who said anything about illegal immigration?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:50 am

That's literally the only way you are going to be able to gather the Saints to the United States right now.

Ironically though most everyone, myself included, are AGAINST illegal immigration.

Do you have any way that you could gather in the Saints all over the world now, in 2022?

Put up or shut up

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Subcomandante wrote: November 21st, 2022, 1:59 pm

That's literally the only way you are going to be able to gather the Saints to the United States right now.

Ironically though most everyone, myself included, are AGAINST illegal immigration.

Do you have any way that you could gather in the Saints all over the world now, in 2022?

Put up or shut up
Why not just issue a statement that says "We expect all members to legally and lawfully immigrate to the center stake of Zion as soon as they have the means to do so."

?

It used to be this way.

Instead, these men just gave up on the Lord's commandment.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Put up or shut up
Are you really telling me that a billion dollar corporation doesn’t have means to figure that out?

Don’t be so ridiculous.

Other billion dollar corporations do it all the time.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:28 pm

Put up or shut up
Why not just issue a statement that says "We expect all members to legally and lawfully immigrate to the center stake of Zion as soon as they have the means to do so."

?

It used to be this way.

Instead, these men just gave up on the Lord's commandment.
Because you know darn well that that is nearly impossible for at least half of the international membership, if not more.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Luke wrote: November 21st, 2022, 2:38 pm

Put up or shut up
Are you really telling me that a billion dollar corporation doesn’t have means to figure that out?

Don’t be so ridiculous.

Other billion dollar corporations do it all the time.
It's a lot easier to cross legally from England than it is from Mexico or any Latin American country not named Chile.