Standing for lofty leaders

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Standing for lofty leaders

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

When did the custom of standing when a church leader of seemingly high rank enters the room begin? Deep down inside my heart I have to believe that a humble servant of the Lord would oppose such actions by members of the congregation. I believe the inverse would be true, that humble members would also not support or sanction such actions, by elevating one member above another.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on November 20th, 2022, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Re: Standing for lofty leaders

Post by OurVoices »

You need to show video of them standing for Elder Stevenson in Africa.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:25 pm You need to show video of them standing for Elder Stevenson in Africa.
Here it is.

Thanks Cruisedude!
Last edited by Lizzy60 on November 20th, 2022, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:45 pm
OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:25 pm You need to show video of them standing for Elder Stevenson in Africa.
Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9k7i-JOuw

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

Creepy eyes and faces.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm
Here it is.

Yuck yuck yuck

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

It's not unique to Mormonism.

"Sunday Mass begins with a procession, led either by an altar server carrying a cross or a thurible, which holds burning incense. The congregation stands out of reverence for the priest, who represents Christ. The procession leads to the sanctuary, which is reminiscent of the holy place in the Jewish temple."

Nehemiah 8:5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up:

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:24 pm When did the custom of standing when a church leader of seemingly high rank enters the room begin? Deep down inside my heart I have to believe that a humble servant of the Lord would oppose such actions by members of the congregation. I believe the inverse would be true, that humble members would also not support or sanction such actions, by elevating one member above another.
I didn't stand for Holland last week...that bad?

I wonder how many noticed, and what they thought.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm
Here it is.

:o :shock:
Seriously. :roll:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

JLHPROF wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:16 pm It's not unique to Mormonism.

"Sunday Mass begins with a procession, led either by an altar server carrying a cross or a thurible, which holds burning incense. The congregation stands out of reverence for the priest, who represents Christ. The procession leads to the sanctuary, which is reminiscent of the holy place in the Jewish temple."

Nehemiah 8:5 And Ezra opened the book in the sight of all the people; (for he was above all the people;) and when he opened it, all the people stood up:
I agree that false traditions are not unique to the LDS org. As for Nehemiah... I dunno.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

An interesting contrast is that when we come into the presence of our Savior we'll fall to our faces weeping.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

OurVoices wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:42 pm An interesting contrast is that when we come into the presence of our Savior we'll fall to our faces weeping.
Yeah, and I'm sorry if I were in that position I would ask people to not stand, it's just wrong.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

The members could shut this garbage down easily. Just don't stand up. If the exalted leader doesn't approve boo them out of the building.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

If this authoritarian goose step of conformity is what the Celestial Kingdom is like, would anybody even want to be a part of that? Serious question.

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

Mindfields wrote: November 20th, 2022, 6:03 pm The members could shut this garbage down easily. Just don't stand up. If the exalted leader doesn't approve boo them out of the building.
But first make sure someone is filming it. Then post it everywhere. I'd love to see it.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

If your goal is to just be like everybody else, I can offer you a few easier and cheaper ways to do it than being Mormon.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:14 pm
If your goal is to just be like everybody else, I can offer you a few easier and cheaper ways to do it than being Mormon.
No, the OP asked about the custom.
So I looked for some precedent.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Just speaking for myself, I don't want to do it the customary "Mormon" way. Rather in the words of Mormon, "8 And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people."

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: November 20th, 2022, 4:24 pm When did the custom of standing when a church leader of seemingly high rank enters the room begin? Deep down inside my heart I have to believe that a humble servant of the Lord would oppose such actions by members of the congregation. I believe the inverse would be true, that humble members would also not support or sanction such actions, by elevating one member above another.
It is tradition for some people to stand as one would stand for royalty. Yet to me, it is most repugnant in the Gospel of Jesus Christ where we all stand as fellow brothers and sisters - all equal beggars of God. Jesus taught his twelve apostles after calling them, "If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all." (Mark 9:34-35)

Have these men been called of God? Or have they forgotten their calling and prefer to be treated like royalty? Fussing and fretting if they aren't shown the respect they think they deserve. Christ himself was "despised and rejected of men" (Isaiah 53:3) yet these special witnesses can't bear to walk in his footsteps for the few minutes it takes to get to the podium where the announcer recites all their worldly credentials before their speech? Something doesn't add up.

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

JLHPROF wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:16 pm
I think they are standing up for the book of the law here, not Ezra. 🤔

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

Jesus said to his disciples,

It shall not be this way among you.
Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave
Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve,
and to give His life as a ransom for many.”…

Our Lord Jesus " The servant King"
"The God that practised what He preached to the very end"