Loud laughter

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Loud laughter

Post by Mamabear »

We learn in the temple loud laughter isn’t acceptable. I must’ve broken that “covenant” every day whilst a member of the church (I come from funny and loud ancestors). :)
I also was light minded very often…
Did they want to make us bots?
I don’t feel I have an empty mind as Joseph said….And I don’t think I grieve the Holy Spirit when I laugh loudly.
Frankly, laughter is the best medicine.

Joseph Smith:
"Think not that we would enjoin you a Monkish sadness or hypocritical gravity: not so, but we would have your forsake all your loud laughter which is always indicative of an empty mind, and as we have before remarked, is calculated to grieve the Holy Spirit and make it withdraw, leaving you to the influence of that spirit which lures but to destroy."
- The Latter-day Saints' Messenger and Advocate, Kirtland Ohio, May 1836, Vol.2, No.8, p.306

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Loud laughter

Post by buffalo_girl »

That ‘expression’ calls to mind the kind of base humor one associates with vulgar references to body functions, lewd humor, enjoyment of another’s suffering, setting traps to snare in order to flout, etc..

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

buffalo_girl wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:15 am That ‘expression’ calls to mind the kind of base humor one associates with vulgar references to body functions, lewd humor, enjoyment of another’s suffering, setting traps to snare in order to flout, etc..
I’ve heard that before, but it’s not what Joseph said and in the temple it’s “ALL light mindedness and loud laughter.”

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I’ve heard that before, but it’s not what Joseph said and in the temple it’s “ALL light mindedness and loud laughter.”
I guess it depends on the definition of "light mindedness" as well as "loud laughter".

I've witnessed some rather amusing incidents in our Temple, which prompted 'light chuckles', and which didn't seem to detract from the work one whit. In fact, those little 'breaches' in our up-tightness to render perfect performances teach us that a sense of humor can help us move on gracefully, without feeling like failures.

Perhaps we need to observe the flow of life as something we can enjoy during the best of times, and to find that irony can prompt humor in the more disappointing of times. I'm not sure an occasional guffaw would be considered 'light minded or loud' given specific circumstances and the appropriateness within the social setting.

Empty mindedness seems to be the source of the problem more than enjoying amusing ironies, jokes, or charming portrayals.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

I didn't even care if I failed this one. I thought it was stupid the first time I heard it in the temple. Church doesn't get to tell me how to have/feel/express joy and happiness. I still laugh much too loudly for the church, always will.😂

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:13 am I didn't even care if I failed this one. I thought it was stupid the first time I heard it in the temple. Church doesn't get to tell me how to have/feel/express joy and happiness. I still laugh much too loudly for the church, always will.😂
Amen.
I almost laughed the first time I heard it in the temple. Lol
I have done several loud laughs during church when funny things were said over the pulpit.
Years back, David Buckner (a seventy) came for adult session of stake conference and he was mocking people who get up every fast and testimony and say “I wasn’t going to get up but the spirit prompted me” and he then said that these are usually the people who share TMI. He went on and on. The way he said it was like he was a comedian at a comedy club and I’ll never forget how loud and hard I laughed and couldn’t stop….The stake presidency was clearly uncomfortable by his remarks and my laughter. :lol:

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:39 am
FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:13 am I didn't even care if I failed this one. I thought it was stupid the first time I heard it in the temple. Church doesn't get to tell me how to have/feel/express joy and happiness. I still laugh much too loudly for the church, always will.😂
Amen.
I have done several loud laughs during church when funny things were said over the pulpit.
Years back, David Buckner (a seventy) came for adult session of stake conference and he was mocking people who get up every fast and testimony and say “I wasn’t going to get up but the spirit prompted me” and he then said that these are usually the people who share TMI. He went on and on. The way he said it was like he was a comedian at a comedy club and I’ll never forget how loud and hard I laughed and couldn’t stop….The stake presidency was clearly uncomfortable by his remarks and my laughter. :lol:
That sounds like one of those laughs that really are uncontrollable 🤣 I've had my fair share of those...
And Holy moly you just reminded me of the worst laugh attack I've prolly had in church. I think I was 15 or 16ish, and in sacrament meeting, and I'm oldest of 4 siblings, so I'm supposed to be the 'example' right? Lolol anyways this was in Hickville, hillbillyville western Washington and in sacrament meeting the bishop announces we'll be blessed by a musical number ....good old 6'6" 275 lbs handle bar mustached cowboy gets up and starts his solo and belts out 'Be gentle with thyself...' and I thought now that's a hymn I've never heard before and kinda giggle and laugh of course like 14-15 year olds do.... But I turn around and to look at my best friend and his family a few pews back and he and his brothers failing terribly to control their laughing and then of course I LOST IT! Oh man I forgot about that 😂😂😂 what a great memory! Laughter definitely heals my soul

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:02 am
Amen.
That sounds like one of those laughs that really are uncontrollable 🤣 I've had my fair share of those...
And Holy moly you just reminded me of the worst laugh attack I've prolly had in church. I think I was 15 or 16ish, and in sacrament meeting, and I'm oldest of 4 siblings, so I'm supposed to be the 'example' right? Lolol anyways this was in Hickville, hillbillyville western Washington and in sacrament meeting the bishop announces we'll be blessed by a musical number ....good old 6'6" 275 lbs handle bar mustached cowboy gets up and starts his solo and belts out 'Be gentle with thyself...' and I thought now that's a hymn I've never heard before and kinda giggle and laugh of course like 14-15 year olds do.... But I turn around and to look at my best friend and his family a few pews back and he and his brothers failing terribly to control their laughing and then of course I LOST IT! Oh man I forgot about that 😂😂😂 what a great memory! Laughter definitely heals my soul
OMG read that song line there and just choked loudly on my coffee😂🤣

Thank you, I needed that this morning!

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Cruiserdude wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:02 am
Amen.
Hysterical! I love this. Thanks for sharing!😅

Godislove
captain of 100

Post by Godislove »

not with much laughter, for this is sin, D&C 59:15.
cast away … your excess of laughter far from you, D&C 88:69.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Godislove wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am not with much laughter, for this is sin, D&C 59:15.
More reasons I don’t believe the doctrine and covenants.

Godislove
captain of 100

Post by Godislove »

Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am
Godislove wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am not with much laughter, for this is sin, D&C 59:15.
Just because you choose not to believe it doesn't make it false.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Godislove wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:55 am
Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am
Just because you choose not to believe it doesn't make it false.
I know. It just seems like more of Joseph’s opinion to me.

"Think not that we would enjoin you a Monkish sadness or hypocritical gravity: not so, but we would have your forsake all your loud laughter which is always indicative of an empty mind, and as we have before remarked, is calculated to grieve the Holy Spirit and make it withdraw, leaving you to the influence of that spirit which lures but to destroy."

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I don’t think “loud laughter” is referring to laughing and joking around. Joseph Smith himself did plenty of that.

I think it’s when things find themselves similar to drunkenness that it’s wrong.

Lorin Woolley said that he saw Jesus laugh.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Luke wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:17 pm I don’t think “loud laughter” is referring to laughing and joking around. Joseph Smith himself did plenty of that.

I think it’s when things find themselves similar to drunkenness that it’s wrong.

Lorin Woolley said that he saw Jesus laugh.
Yeah that's how I understand it as well. I think we really know deep down when we're going overboard with things. At least I feel do.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Though most people will never admit it, our sense of right and wrong comes mostly from culture, rather than from God. Back then, that kind of behavior would have been associated with a fundamentally unserious life. Nowadays, not so much. Or maybe our culture really has become fundamentally unserious.

Either way, I think the saying still holds: the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

Twenty years from now, people are going to look at all us traditional-marriage holdouts and think we were just filled with hatred and wonder how we could have ever had any idea what God was like. Someone from the mid-19th century time-traveling to our day would look at all of us and think they walked into a hellscape.

Who knows how things really actually *should* be. Even the scriptures are colored by the past's view of the world.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Amen.
TMI?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Robin Hood wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:33 pm
Amen.
TMI?
Too much information

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I think the question then becomes, "What is much laughter and what is an excess of laughter?"

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am More reasons I don’t believe the doctrine and covenants.
I think those verses are simply highlighting excessive laughter. Yes, laughter is very healing and therapeutic and I even still chuckle at all the inappropriate jokes, but excessive laughter can be antithetical to the Lord bringing us down into the depths of humility when he needs to and that is where we learn and grow and can hear the spirit. I think it is safe to say that the spirit does not find us teachable during states of excessive laughter. A continuous state of laughter would void most teaching and learning opportunities and we would find it hard to follow the BoM's admonition to consider ourselves fools before God.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

My favorite sacrament moment happened when I was probably 16 or 17 and we had a new member of the bishopric conducting. He stands up to kick off the meeting by announcing:

“Brethren and sisters, let’s all turn in our hymnals to #177, “Tis Sweet to Sing the Mattress Love.”

My siblings and I just busted up laughing.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

iWriteStuff wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:11 pm My favorite sacrament moment happened when I was probably 16 or 17 and we had a new member of the bishopric conducting. He stands up to kick off the meeting by announcing:

“Brethren and sisters, let’s all turn in our hymnals to #177, “Tis Sweet to Sing the Mattress Love.”

My siblings and I just busted up laughing.
😂😂😂👍👍

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:42 pm
Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am More reasons I don’t believe the doctrine and covenants.
I think those verses are simply highlighting excessive laughter. Yes, laughter is very healing and therapeutic and I even still chuckle at all the inappropriate jokes, but excessive laughter can be antithetical to the Lord bringing us down into the depths of humility when he needs to and that is where we learn and grow and can hear the spirit. I think it is safe to say that the spirit does not find us teachable during states of excessive laughter. A continuous state of laughter would void most teaching and learning opportunities and we would find it hard to follow the BoM's admonition to consider ourselves fools before God.
I love being in a state of continuous laughter as I watch lots of episodes of the office….
BF2F08D0-DC12-4078-B916-7201F584DE51.jpeg
BF2F08D0-DC12-4078-B916-7201F584DE51.jpeg (127.23 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Mamabear wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:38 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:42 pm
I love being in a state of continuous laughter as I watch lots of episodes of the office….
BF2F08D0-DC12-4078-B916-7201F584DE51.jpeg
One of the funniest TV characters to ever grace our screens....he was so good at that role too. Non stop laughs, especially the earlier seasons of the office 🤣🤣

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:30 pm Though most people will never admit it, our sense of right and wrong comes mostly from culture, rather than from God. Back then, that kind of behavior would have been associated with a fundamentally unserious life. Nowadays, not so much. Or maybe our culture really has become fundamentally unserious.

Either way, I think the saying still holds: the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there…

Who knows how things really actually *should* be. Even the scriptures are colored by the past's view of the world.
Good points!
The advise should be seen in context of the times.

I read how Joseph Smith’s father had a recipe for psychedelics & there’s evidence to suggest that some private sacrament meetings involved psychedelics.

“Did hallucinogens facilitate Joseph Smith's visions & those of early Mormon converts? In his 1975 book, Hearts Made Glad, Lamar Petersen carefully documented the use of intoxicants by Joseph Smith and early converts to the LDS Church. While mostly interested in the consumption of various fermented and distilled alcohols, Petersen also noted strange behaviors associated with the sacramental use of what seemed to outside observers to be medicated wine. It appears that soon after the Church was organized in New York and later in Ohio, members partook of wine in sacrament meetings which occasioned visionary states and strange behaviors not typically associated with alcohol consumption or intoxication. It is my thesis that beginning at a young age, Joseph Smith experimented with psychedelic plants and that many of Joseph Smith revelations and much of his behavior can be attributed to the use of psychedelics. Following Joseph Smith's death, the pragmatic Brigham Young had no interest in psychedelic material, or was unaware of its use, and hence it did not become a part of Utah Mormonism. However, James Strang and Fredrick M. Smith (Joseph Smith's grandson and president of the RLDS Church) perpetuated the use of psychedelics in their branches of Joseph Smith's original movement…” http://en.psilosophy.info/restoration_a ... nces_.html

Anyone who’s gotten high or seen someone get high knows they laugh when it’s not funny. Not sure but I imagine if cannabis became common, (not just for special occasions like sacrament), or a similar drug, then maybe members were walking around high and laughing at flies & finally JS had to put his foot down.

Btw, If anyone’s seen a commercial showing the benefits of marijuana, please share it. :)
Last edited by Thinker on November 20th, 2022, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.