Weapons in temples- yea or nay?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
p8riot
captain of 100

Weapons in temples- yea or nay?

Post by p8riot »

Outside of current policy, is there a scriptural or doctrinal or historical basis for banning weapons inside of temples? I assume ancient Israelite temples had ceremonial blades to perform the sacrifices. But what about personal weapons? Any evidence that they were banned? What about the early latter-day temples- did anyone have them inside during times of persecution?

Would it be wrong to have a weapon on your person during temple ceremonies- what are your thoughts?

silverado
captain of 100

Re: Weapons in temples- yea or nay?

Post by silverado »

The holster should be white.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

silverado wrote: November 19th, 2022, 8:00 pm The holster should be white.
Gun too.

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

p8riot wrote: November 19th, 2022, 7:45 pm Outside of current policy, is there a scriptural or doctrinal or historical basis for banning weapons inside of temples? I assume ancient Israelite temples had ceremonial blades to perform the sacrifices. But what about personal weapons? Any evidence that they were banned? What about the early latter-day temples- did anyone have them inside during times of persecution?

Would it be wrong to have a weapon on your person during temple ceremonies- what are your thoughts?
Not Wrong.

But discretion is called for.

At least I think so.

Sir H

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Nobody allowed to enter the temple of doom with a weapon. Unless you’re a body guard protecting one of the 15.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

We had a guy come into the front of the temple, then after circulating around the waiting area, went into the enclosed garden area right by the recommend desk. Then he committed suicidal using a handgun.

crabman
captain of 100

Post by crabman »

A very interesting experience in the temple from church history. Apostles pulling swords and pistols on each other in the Kirtland Temple. Seems everyone was armed to some degree..
Joseph traveled that same summer to Canada to visit the Saints in Toronto. In his absence, Joseph Sr. spoke at a Sunday meeting in the Kirtland temple about the floundering Safety Society. He defended his son’s character and condemned the actions of the dissenters, who were sitting at the other end of the room.
As the patriarch addressed the Saints, Warren Parrish stood and demanded to speak. Joseph Sr. told him not to interrupt, but Warren bounded across the room and forced his way onto the stand. He seized Joseph Sr. and tried to pull him away from the pulpit. The patriarch cried out for Oliver Cowdery, who served as the local justice of the peace, but Oliver did nothing to help his old friend.
Seeing his father in danger, William Smith sprang to his feet, threw his arms around Warren, and dragged him off the stand. John Boynton lunged forward, unsheathing a sword. He pointed the blade at William’s chest and threatened to run his fellow apostle through if he took another step. Other dissenters drew knives and pistols from their pockets and surrounded William.
The temple erupted in chaos. People scrambled for doorways or escaped out nearby windows. Constables burst into the room, pushed through the fleeing crowd, and grappled with the armed men.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Better question - what would the Savior think? He used a whip to drive wickedness from the temple.
At the same time if the temple is protected by security and guards and God himself there's really no reason to carry one.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I think the rationale should be to prevent certain types (mostly non-LDS) from entering the temple.There is more risk from them than the other patrons.

downaletter
captain of 10

Post by downaletter »

Niemand wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:28 pm I think the rationale should be to prevent certain types (mostly non-LDS) from entering the temple.There is more risk from them than the other patrons.
It's not uncommon at all for nonmembers to enter the temple. Temple Recommend cards can be easily duplicated.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

downaletter wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:01 am
Niemand wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:28 pm I think the rationale should be to prevent certain types (mostly non-LDS) from entering the temple.There is more risk from them than the other patrons.
It's not uncommon at all for nonmembers to enter the temple. Temple Recommend cards can be easily duplicated.
Most would be vigilantes wouldn't even go to those lengths.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

HVDC wrote: November 19th, 2022, 8:26 pm
Gun too.

Sir H
I think the gold and brass accents would go well with the interior design:

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:06 am
Gun too.

Sir H
I think the gold and brass accents would go well with the interior design:
Nice.

Sir H

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

It's safer inside compared to leaving it in your car to be stolen.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:58 am It's safer inside compared to leaving it in your car to be stolen.
Probably.

However.

A buddy of mine who is a cop.

Told me things were stolen from the lockers all of the time.

Now I believe there are locks.

Sir H

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

The temple recommend bar code is scanned. If your name pops up with a green light you can go in.

If it’s fake, no green light.

But I’m unclear what the two “screeners” at the recommend desk would do. (Sometimes it’s ladies at the desk now).

Also, I saw a job posting for a temple security guard, graveyard shift every night at $12/ hr. (With that kind of pay… how committed would the guard be..??).

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

JK4Woods wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:32 am
The temple recommend bar code is scanned. If your name pops up with a green light you can go in.

If it’s fake, no green light.

But I’m unclear what the two “screeners” at the recommend desk would do. (Sometimes it’s ladies at the desk now).

Also, I saw a job posting for a temple security guard, graveyard shift every night at $12/ hr. (With that kind of pay… how committed would the guard be..??).
The Church is frugal with gods money.

They know he wants a return on his investment.

Gotta cut somewhere.

Sir H

Voyager
captain of 100

Post by Voyager »

Better question: Why feel the need to have a gun in the temple? If you're honestly that paranoid about safety don't even consider getting into a vehicle that moves, it's infinitely more dangerous. And yet that doesn't seem to faze anyone. Honestly, some people are going to reconsider how badly they want to go to heaven when they realize they don't have guns there.

I'm all for the right to self-defense with a firearm, but sometimes it seems to turn into an illogical obsession to a degree that mirrors people's paranoia about getting sick with COVID.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Voyager wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:33 pm Better question: Why feel the need to have a gun in the temple? If you're honestly that paranoid about safety don't even consider getting into a vehicle that moves, it's infinitely more dangerous. And yet that doesn't seem to faze anyone. Honestly, some people are going to reconsider how badly they want to go to heaven when they realize they don't have guns there.

I'm all for the right to self-defense with a firearm, but sometimes it seems to turn into an illogical obsession to a degree that mirrors people's paranoia about getting sick with COVID.
"I'm all for the right..." Yeah, OK. Whatever, Karen.

Look, it's all about risk assessment and mitigation. Some of us have decided we're simply going to just carry a gun whenever we leave the house. It's like putting your seatbelt on when you get in a car. If you *expect* to need it that day, you just wouldn't go in the first place.

But then, we run into this seemingly endless list of places where it offends other people's sensibilities to have a gun: "why would you need a gun there?? Aren't you just being paranoid?" But the thing is, a gun is one of those things that when you need it, you need it RIGHT NOW. And nothing else will do.

Let me ask you, is it paranoid to think you need to carry a gun when you go to pick your kids up from early-morning seminary? Because there was a time I needed one then, and I didn't have it.

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

Gun too.

Sir H
Absolutely!

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

crabman wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:45 pm A very interesting experience in the temple from church history. Apostles pulling swords and pistols on each other in the Kirtland Temple. Seems everyone was armed to some degree..
Joseph traveled that same summer to Canada to visit the Saints in Toronto. In his absence, Joseph Sr. spoke at a Sunday meeting in the Kirtland temple about the floundering Safety Society. He defended his son’s character and condemned the actions of the dissenters, who were sitting at the other end of the room.
As the patriarch addressed the Saints, Warren Parrish stood and demanded to speak. Joseph Sr. told him not to interrupt, but Warren bounded across the room and forced his way onto the stand. He seized Joseph Sr. and tried to pull him away from the pulpit. The patriarch cried out for Oliver Cowdery, who served as the local justice of the peace, but Oliver did nothing to help his old friend.
Seeing his father in danger, William Smith sprang to his feet, threw his arms around Warren, and dragged him off the stand. John Boynton lunged forward, unsheathing a sword. He pointed the blade at William’s chest and threatened to run his fellow apostle through if he took another step. Other dissenters drew knives and pistols from their pockets and surrounded William.
The temple erupted in chaos. People scrambled for doorways or escaped out nearby windows. Constables burst into the room, pushed through the fleeing crowd, and grappled with the armed men.
This is the type of thing I was looking for. Thank you! Where is this found- History of the Church?

Voyager
captain of 100

Post by Voyager »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:06 pm
Voyager wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:33 pm Better question: Why feel the need to have a gun in the temple? If you're honestly that paranoid about safety don't even consider getting into a vehicle that moves, it's infinitely more dangerous. And yet that doesn't seem to faze anyone. Honestly, some people are going to reconsider how badly they want to go to heaven when they realize they don't have guns there.

"I'm all for the right..." Yeah, OK. Whatever, Karen.

Look, it's all about risk assessment and mitigation. Some of us have decided we're simply going to just carry a gun whenever we leave the house. It's like putting your seatbelt on when you get in a car. If you *expect* to need it that day, you just wouldn't go in the first place.

But then, we run into this seemingly endless list of places where it offends other people's sensibilities to have a gun: "why would you need a gun there?? Aren't you just being paranoid?" But the thing is, a gun is one of those things that when you need it, you need it RIGHT NOW. And nothing else will do.

Let me ask you, is it paranoid to think you need to carry a gun when you go to pick your kids up from early-morning seminary? Because there was a time I needed one then, and I didn't have it.
"Karen" because I don't agree with the perceived need for carrying a lethal weapon into a place people believe is supposed to be uniquely sacred and set apart from the world? There's a lot of things you do differently in a temple you don't do anywhere else. You don't treat it like other places. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that this is one of the many, many things that makes a temple different and set apart from the world.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Outside of the middle of the United States, this question is really ridiculous, and any sane member would respond with a resounding NO!

You don't put weapons of war inside of a house dedicated to the worship of the Prince of Peace.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Voyager wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:51 pm "Karen" because I don't agree with the perceived need for carrying a lethal weapon into a place people believe is supposed to be uniquely sacred and set apart from the world? There's a lot of things you do differently in a temple you don't do anywhere else. You don't treat it like other places. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that this is one of the many, many things that makes a temple different and set apart from the world.
They say that about all the places. Reality never seems to agree, unfortunately.

crabman
captain of 100

Post by crabman »

p8riot wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:19 pm
crabman wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:45 pm A very interesting experience in the temple from church history. Apostles pulling swords and pistols on each other in the Kirtland Temple. Seems everyone was armed to some degree..
This is the type of thing I was looking for. Thank you! Where is this found- History of the Church?
No problem. This is from the Church's Saints book. Volume 1 chapter 25.