“upwardthought” YouTube Channel

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: “upwardthought” YouTube Channel

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

gruden2.0 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:21 am
Wolfwoman wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:16 am Has he changed his mind on the ridiculous blogpost he had about women having the most value when they are 18ish years old? He kinda lost me there.
There you go Jules, now you can see what some people came after him about, among others.
Wolfwoman wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:16 am There were also rumors that he was wanting to engage in polygyny or that he already was engaging in it. Any truth to that?
I suppose people can't help but spread rumors about people whom they disagree with. This post pretty much encapsulates what was going on around him.
Is there no basis to this - are these rumors out of nowhere, or is there something he's saying that isn't clear to people who haven't had those experiences? I'm curious because of his SC experiences, not trying to pick on Rob or anyone else.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 16th, 2022, 11:10 am
gruden2.0 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:21 am
Wolfwoman wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:16 am Has he changed his mind on the ridiculous blogpost he had about women having the most value when they are 18ish years old? He kinda lost me there.
There you go Jules, now you can see what some people came after him about, among others.
Wolfwoman wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:16 am There were also rumors that he was wanting to engage in polygyny or that he already was engaging in it. Any truth to that?
I suppose people can't help but spread rumors about people whom they disagree with. This post pretty much encapsulates what was going on around him.
Is there no basis to this - are these rumors out of nowhere, or is there something he's saying that isn't clear to people who haven't had those experiences? I'm curious because of his SC experiences, not trying to pick on Rob or anyone else.
Here’s what I found…

“Rob Smith, an associate professor of computer science at the University of Montana, is on administrative leave over remarks he made on his personal blog about women, Muslims and other groups. Smith’s remarks, some of which have now been deleted, include that women’s most valuable asset in finding a husband is physical attractiveness, and that “This value peaks from 16-18, fades slowly until 25, then starts fading quickly. Your pool of potential husbands shrinks significantly with every year past 18.”

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktak ... en-muslims

Also…
“In January 2019, Smith wrote that a man’s value “keeps increasing over time,” in terms of his earnings and wisdom, but “the longer a woman waits to marry, the less currency she has to attract a valuable man.”

In November 2020, Smith wrote that “a young woman should know everything she needs to know to be a good wife and mother and be seeking for that at the earliest possible age.”

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2021/10/12/p ... estigated/

Enoch
captain of 100

Post by Enoch »

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

edify wrote: November 16th, 2022, 4:52 pm He was redpill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcmexiLcsK4
You could look at it that way. He stated thoughts you could find in YT channels like Entrepreneurs in Cars. From presentations I've seen there is a scientific basis in this view, but his posts on the subject were based on his reasoning and personal thoughts, I don't recall any claims that indicate he was inspired about this topic or anything. For that reason I thought it odd that someone of his job situation would post on that subject, since he didn't have anything really novel to add and it could only be viewed negatively, which it was.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

For those interested:

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

^^^^^^^^ Just a reminder for those interested. 10 AM Mountain Time tomorrow.

An Eye Single
captain of 100

Post by An Eye Single »

Before the livestream gets underway, I thought I would just mention that the Q&A will be hosted by Todd McLaughlin. I’m excited about this. If you haven’t heard of him before, he seems to have many ideas that (in one way or another) align with viewpoints of many people on this forum. He’s kind of a conundrum (which I can totally relate to, to a certain degree, and which I have often called myself), with him keeping ties to the LDS church while discovering more meaning and depth in the scriptures than what the church currently offers.

Hope people tune in! :)

https://www.youtube.com/@upwardthought/streams

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Rob has put out some very good content recently. I don't think quite as highly of him as he appears to think of himself, but I consider him authoritative. I respect what he has to say, but I am not exchanging one arm of flesh for another.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Original_Intent wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:26 am Rob has put out some very good content recently. I don't think quite as highly of him as he appears to think of himself, but I consider him authoritative. I respect what he has to say, but I am not exchanging one arm of flesh for another.
His opinion of himself is not about ego. Contrast Drax's "I'm extraordinarily humble" with Christ's "I am meek and lowly in heart."

Then ask yourselves if you can claim any of the things Rob claims. If you can, go and correct him in the comments sections.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I have been quietly changing my mind on Rob.

I have had interactions with him in the past that soured me greatly, both on doctrine and on personal matters. I think he has a massive ego and like some have stated here, he thinks that he is more important than he really is. His views on women and polygamy are also repulsive. His "lone wolf" attitude in the past where he was shouting or writing into the wind wasn't particularly effective. His audience composes mostly of "awake" people, yet he models his approach after Abinadi teaching to wicked priesthood leadership, not Alma or Moroni, speaking to the peaceable followers of Christ. His tiffs with other wilderness prophets, such as Denver Snuffer, showcase to me that in many instances . . . in the past . . . he was too focused on his own importance and his own ideas.

That being said, I have noticed a shift in him lately. Denver and Rob seem to have buried the hatched. Rob has been focusing on the most important and critical elements of the Doctrine of Christ, namely, repentance, and also learning from the experience of others. He's become like a laser on this topic and it so needed by everyone. Too many in the "awake" crowd are increasingly interested in listening only to themselves and believe they don't need prophets or servant to preach to them. While Rob is promoting that idea so people will listen to him, the principle is not incorrect. I can believe in the principle and believe Rob doesn't always quite have it. He needs to acknowledge his weakness more and not advertise how smart he is because of his relationship with the Lord. But other than this, his methods of teaching repentance are some of the best material out there. I have chosen to follow him on YouTube and I do heed what he has to say. I cast away the things that don't resonate with the Spirit.

Rob is a great example of learning how to heed a prophet, but not follow them, or even like them.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Nephi spoke with sharpness and his brothers hated him for it. I don't know anyone who hates Rob, but it's clear to me that people still get stuck more on the messenger and less on the message. On a separate note, I've noticed tiny similarities between Denver's and Rob's messages. Denver used powerful imagery in one of his lectures and Rob later preached a similar concept using much different but equally powerful and beautiful imagery. He also just recently said the heavens are open for business which Denver declared some years ago. Rob has also encouraged his viewers to extend his own words to others. We can all share the same or similar experiences in our circles which are outside of Rob's or Denver's circles. I've been doing this on my blog for over ten years and have begun to do it on my own Youtube channel.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

marc wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:55 pm Nephi spoke with sharpness and his brothers hated him for it. I don't know anyone who hates Rob, but it's clear to me that people still get stuck more on the messenger and less on the message. On a separate note, I've noticed tiny similarities between Denver's and Rob's messages. Denver used powerful imagery in one of his lectures and Rob later preached a similar concept using much different but equally powerful and beautiful imagery. He also just recently said the heavens are open for business which Denver declared some years ago. Rob has also encouraged his viewers to extend his own words to others. We can all share the same or similar experiences in our circles which are outside of Rob's or Denver's circles. I've been doing this on my blog for over ten years and have begun to do it on my own Youtube channel.
I don't disagree with you, but Nephi is also someone who got "high on his own supply" at times. Late in 2nd Nephi I think he acknowledges that he is just a man and had many flaws and so forth, but through most of his story, it is how only he was truly faithful (even Lehi complained against the Lord a time or two.) I just find it suspect that in the story itself there is no story about how HE (Nephi) made an error in judgment or fell short.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

At any rate, my point in posting was that Rob is putting out some extremely valuable information recently.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Original_Intent wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:19 pmI don't disagree with you, but Nephi is also someone who got "high on his own supply" at times. Late in 2nd Nephi I think he acknowledges that he is just a man and had many flaws and so forth, but through most of his story, it is how only he was truly faithful (even Lehi complained against the Lord a time or two.) I just find it suspect that in the story itself there is no story about how HE (Nephi) made an error in judgment or fell short.
2 Nephi 4:17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.

18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.

19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.

20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.

21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.

22 He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.

23 Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.

24 And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.

25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them.

26 O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?

27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?

28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

29 Do not anger again because of mine enemies. Do not slacken my strength because of mine afflictions...

You know the rest.

Nephi went back for the plates.
Nephi went back to trade the family riches.
Nephi was beaten by his brothers.
Nephi was tied and left for dead.
Nephi forged tools.
Nephi built a ship.
Nephi calmed the sea.
etc.

Was he high on himself? Maybe like Sysiphus was high on himself. And yet:

19 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy faith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.

Lowliness of heart? But he was high on himself, right? What was Jesus thinking? Jesus doesn't just manifest himself to anyone. Why did He manifest Himself to Rob? To Nephi? To the brother of Jared?

Ether 1:43 And thus I will do unto thee because this long time ye have cried unto me.

The brother of Jared was favored of the Lord. What makes people favored of the Lord?

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Nephi saw opportunities and he seized them. Laman could have done so and as the eldest brother, but he didn't. So could Lemuel. But he didn't. The golden goose fell into their laps thanks to Lehi, but they blew it. Nephi recognized his unique opportunity and he grabbed hold tightly and ran with it. We should all be the same.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Yes, I understand about Nephi saying "wretched man that I am" etc. But he never recorded examples of him screwing up afaik. It's easy to say "I have plenty of faults" much more difficult to say "This time when we were in the desert..." He records in detail the failings of others and not himself - I have no doubt he was a fine man and had the Lord with him, but for sure, the books he wrote sure cast him in a suspiciously flawless light.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Also, I had some questions and thoughts to bounce of Rob, and he responded very graciously and I felt his answers and ideas that we discussed privately I felt were very, very good. I honestly don't know of anyone who I think of more highly that is alive, but there are several who I think are very much in that same rarified category. I guess that is the minor quibble is Rob seems to think that he is alone or at least never acknowledges that anyone might be even close to where he is, I always get the vibe that he feels there is a pretty vast gulf between where he is and where anyone else is. Maybe he is right; I think there are a few others.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Original_Intent wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 3:58 pmI guess that is the minor quibble is Rob seems to think that he is alone or at least never acknowledges that anyone might be even close to where he is, I always get the vibe that he feels there is a pretty vast gulf between where he is and where anyone else is. Maybe he is right; I think there are a few others.
Well, after all, he is only addressing a few hundred subscribers. I don't think he includes Denver Snuffer or some few others because he is not in their circles. I know at least two people who have been members of this forum who have seen Jesus Christ. I'm certain Rob doesn't know them personally or has heard of them. Based on the many writings of Denver, I can easily see that Rob is channeling him lately. And if he isn't, it's an amazing coincidence.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Rob has definitely presented new and unique concepts with regard to seeking and finding Jesus Christ while Denver has focused on a single message: the restoration/redeeming Zion.