A Dialogue between Joseph Smith and the Devil

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

A Dialogue between Joseph Smith and the Devil

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I found this to be a nice break from other topics. Here is the link to the full letter:
http://mldb.byu.edu/pppratdi.htm

“This dialogue was published in the New York Herald on January 1, 1844. Parley P. Pratt wrote: "Visiting North Bridge, a short distance from Boston, and having a day's leisure, I wrote a dialogue entitled 'Joe Smith and the Devil,' which was afterwards published in the New York Herald, and in various papers in America and Europe. It was finally published and republished in pamphlet form, and had a wide circulation; few persons knowing or mistrusting who was the author."

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: A Dialogue between Joseph Smith and the Devil

Post by endlessQuestions »

Loved this. Especially this:

“a religion of direct revelation was the only system ever instituted by the Lord, and the only one calculated to benefit mankind…”

“What is easier than to show that this system saved the church from flood, famine, flames, wars, division, bondage, doubt and darkness, many times, and that it is the legitimate way and manner of God's government of his own peculiar people in all ages and dispensations.”

It confirms what the Spirit has taught me: that the only way out of our current predicament is to learn how to receive revelation for ourselves. DIRECT REVELATION, not “Follow the Prophet”, or any other intermediary.

Which, interestingly, is what our prophet is encouraging us, nay, pleading with us, to do.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

endlessismyname wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:07 am Loved this. Especially this:

“a religion of direct revelation was the only system ever instituted by the Lord, and the only one calculated to benefit mankind…”

“What is easier than to show that this system saved the church from flood, famine, flames, wars, division, bondage, doubt and darkness, many times, and that it is the legitimate way and manner of God's government of his own peculiar people in all ages and dispensations.”

It confirms what the Spirit has taught me: that the only way out of our current predicament is to learn how to receive revelation for ourselves. DIRECT REVELATION, not “Follow the Prophet”, or any other intermediary.

Which, interestingly, is what our prophet is encouraging us, nay, pleading with us, to do.
That was a very poignant comparison to our situation today. Unfortunately, most members would quickly add that this "revelation" must align with church leaders.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

There’s a strong tendency to think of Joseph Smith in terms of 100% good or 100% evil - but as with all humans, he was a mix.

How many would be considered evil for experimenting with the occult as Joseph did?…

Lots of reminders to trust in God, not men.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

endlessismyname wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:07 am Loved this. Especially this:

sadly, he doesn't take his own advise, because he doesn't receive revelation for himself or the church -
and is therefore - not a prophet but a false one.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

I have it.