US Constitution a Gospel Principle

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: US Constitution a Gospel Principle

Post by mudflap »

Lookie here - Orson Pratt:
But the fourth power represents the nations of modern Christendom. They have not the privilege of the heathen, in having their lives prolonged. Why? Does the speaker mean to say that modern Christendom is more wicked than the heathen? Yes; the people of Christendom possess more light and knowledge than the heathen, and therefore, they are under the greater condemnation; for according to the [p. 340a]light and knowledge they severally have, will they be judged. The more enlightened nations, so called, are rejecting the Gospel message which is being sent to them by divine authority; and for that reason their utter destruction is inevitable, and, as had been decreed, they must pass away. Their lives will not be prolonged. Not only the kingdoms and governments of Europe, and the western portion of Asia are to be thus visited, but also those who have grown out of these kingdoms, that have emigrated to this western hemisphere, and elsewhere. For instance, this great republic must pass away in the manner indicated unless the people repent. There is only one condition by which they can be preserved as a nation, and the Lord himself has decreed it. We can read it in the various revelations which God has given, respecting this land. The Book of Mormon, for instance, speaks in many places, of the overthrow of the government that should exist on this land if they should reject the divine message contained therein. 2 Ne. 10:19 Ether 2:7-12 Ether 9:20 Inasmuch as they repent not, the Lord has said that he would visit them in his anger, Alma 8:29 and that he would throw down all their strongholds. 3 Ne. 21:15 And he further says, that he will cut off their horses out of their midst. 3 Ne. 21:14 This will doubtless be done through some great calamity or disease. He also says that he will cut off the cities of our land, 3 Ne. 21:15 that all manner of lying, deceits, hypocrisy, murders, priestcrafts, whoredoms and secret abominations shall be done away, 3 Ne. 21:19 having reference particularly to this nation. He says, too, “I will execute vengeance and fury upon them, even as upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.” 3 Ne. 21:21 We are told, too, that the nature of these judgments is to be swift 3 Ne. 24:5 D&C 121:24 and terrible, 1 Ne. 12:5 D&C 109:45 coming upon them like a fierce wind, Alma 26:6 [p. 340b] when they expect it not; when they are crying peace and safety, behold sudden destruction is at their doors. 1 Thes. 5:3
~ JD 18:335, Orson Pratt, Daniel’s Vision, Etc. (found here: https://scriptures.byu.edu/#:t2bf4a$61587:c07f073i )

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Allison wrote: November 12th, 2022, 7:12 pm
lundbaek wrote: November 12th, 2022, 4:49 pm In the opening address of the October 1987 General Conference, President Ezra Taft Benson asked this question: "Do we know what prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?" Actually, there exists an avalanche of statements by the Lord Jesus Christ, and latter-day prophets and apostles about the United States Constitution and its special significance to Latter-day Saints. And many of those statements refer to statements attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith about the U.S. Constitution being in jeopardy and being rescued by efforts involving members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. These two statements, each spoken by a latter-day prophet, give me hope and reason to prepare myself and others to participate in the restoration of principles of the Constitution to government in America.

Joseph Smith
“Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction....I know these things by the visions of the Almighty." (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

Ezra Taft Benson
"We are fast approaching that moment prophesied by Joseph Smith when he said: "Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground and when the Constitution is on the brink of ruin this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction." (October 1987 General Conference) (July 19, 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; manuscript in Church Historian's Office, Salt Lake City)

Do we believe this will happen, one way or another?
Do you believe our people will save the Constitution?
Note that the Prophet Joseph Smith, as quoted above, said "I know these things by the visions of the Almighty." For that reason alone I believe that "this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction." Also, I am much encouraged by the increase in the number of attendees I see at Constitution study group meetings, and now by the number of people participating in other freedom-promoting activities.

I do not expect anywhere near all Latter-day Saints will participate in saving the Constitution - far from it. I expect it will be those still relatively few in number who will have studied and learned the the principles of the Constitution (still a small % of Church members), together with a considerable number of non-LDS people who will have done their homework. So far, the best discussion of leadership for such an undertaking I have found is in the book "Hanging by a Thread", by Richard N. Skousen.

Any other thoughts on this?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

There are genuinely concerned Latter-day Saints and others who believe it is too late to save America and its Constitution. But it that were in fact true, why would President Dallin H. Oaks tell Latter-day Saints in the April 2021 General Conference "In this troubled time, I have felt to speak about the inspired Constitution of the United States. This Constitution is of special importance to our members in the United States, but it is also a common heritage of constitutions around the world." and go on to tell us "Our belief in divine inspiration gives Latter-day Saints a unique responsibility to uphold and defend the United States Constitution and principles of constitutionalism wherever we live. We should trust in the Lord and be positive about this nation’s future."? He told us "We should learn and advocate the inspired principles of the Constitution. We should seek out and support wise and good persons who will support those principles in their public actions.8 We should be knowledgeable citizens who are active in making our influence felt in civic affairs." Why would President Oaks feel to even speak about the Constitution?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

The party that thinks abortion is a right and should be approved by the constitution, clearly do not respect the document. This seems to be just short of 50% of the population. Of course, considering the thousands of equally satanic things they approve of, I find it difficult to understand the people that claim that they are actually good human beings. They have defective spirits. While it is possible for them to repent, their mind will not accept truth and so there is not much of a possibility that they will ever change their beliefs. It takes quite a demented mind to believe those things. I told the wife of one democrat that claimed her husband was a good person that no amount of good that he could ever do would make up for the bad he had already done. He had bragged that he never helps beggars. But that isn't the big deal. The big deal is that his wife had an innocent daughter that is now lost. Whenever she had a wholesome idea, he did his best to destroy her brain by preaching the advantages of following satan by supporting labor unions, big government, social programs, etc. All titled to be good but in fact pure evil. He is an example of a person that needs a millstone around the neck.