Stratego Anyone?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Stratego Anyone?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Anyone try this game that was touted as an alternative to Chess?

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: Stratego Anyone?

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

We had that game growing up but I didn't play it as much as my brother.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It's not the equal of chess, for that the Chinese board game of Go is more what you would be looking for.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BeNotDeceived wrote: ↑November 11th, 2022, 5:14 am Anyone try this game that was touted as an alternative to Chess?
I used to play it.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

I played it growing up. My brothers and I had a lot of fun. You play in the blind (the values of the pieces are hidden from the opponent until they make contact, but even then they only know the value relative to the piece that made contact), so that makes it different as it allows for deception. So the game is part memory game, part deception, part strategy, and part chance.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

someone gave our family a lord of the rings themed one when i was a kid. it had its own version/rules (as an alternate option to normal), i think it was called "special powers" game mode or something which was way more fun than the normal rules, so that ended up being the only version we ever played. fun game though, i wonder what ever happened to it 🤔 probly lost in a move sometime
Last edited by abijah on November 11th, 2022, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

I played it a lot when I was younger. It's more fun than chess, but less cerebral. In chess, it's position and pattern recognition. In Stratego you preload your strategy at the start before the first move by how you line up you pieces and then your tactics are heavily based on memory. In chess you try to hide your intent. In Stratego you try to hide everything. What the pieces are, where the bombs are, where your flag is, and above all, where your spy is. Because once a good player has a piece up in Stratego it is very hard to beat them. Chess also is like that but to as lesser degree, I think, because you can pin pieces down in chess if you've developed your board well.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I used to play it with my older brother at my grandma’s house. We were pretty young, though. We called it Star-tego.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

If you’re looking for a game that differs from chess or similar games you should try Diplomacy.

Be warned however it can ruin friendships in the “real world”.