S.L. Temple "All the tribes of hell will be on the move, if we uncover the walls of this temple.”

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

S.L. Temple "All the tribes of hell will be on the move, if we uncover the walls of this temple.”

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Some interesting facts surrounding the construction of the Salt Lake Temple.

First, Nauvoo, Colonel Thomas L. Kane wrote: “They succeeded in parrying the last sword-thrust” of the mobs until “as a closing work, they placed on the entablature of the front …

“The House of the Lord:

“Built by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“Holiness to the Lord!

“… It was this day,” he wrote, that “saw the departure of the last elders, and the largest band that moved in one company together. The people of Iowa have told me, that from morning to night they passed westward like an endless procession. They did not seem greatly out of heart, they said; but, at the top of every hill before they disappeared, were to be seen looking back, like banished Moors, on their abandoned homes, and the far-seen Temple and its glittering spire.”Pamphlet, discourse delivered before the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 26 Mar. 1850, Archives Division, Church Historical Department, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, Utah; hereafter cited as Church Archives.

After a series of visions given to Brigham Young beginning in the Nauvoo Temple, the saints would arrive in the Salt Lake valley in July of 1847.

I scarcely ever say much about revelations, or visions, but suffice it to say, five years ago last July I was here, and saw in the Spirit the Temple not ten feet from where we have laid the Chief Corner Stone. I have not inquired what kind of a Temple we should build. Why? Because it was represented before me. I have never looked upon that ground, but the vision of it was there. I see it as plainly as if it was in reality before me. Wait until it is done.

I will say, however, that it will have six towers, to begin with, instead of one. Now do not any of you apostatize because it will have six towers, and Joseph only built one. It is easier for us to build sixteen, than it was for him to build one. The time will come when there will be one in the centre of Temples we shall build, and, on the top, groves and fish ponds. But we shall not see them here, at present. Brigham Young, April 6, 1853 General Conference, Journal of Discourses, Vol.1, p.132 - p.133

The following is condensed from A Temple to Exalt by Elder Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostleshttps://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... t?lang=eng

On 28 July 1847 Brigham Young announced: “Here we shall build a temple to our God.”5 He was a prophet, a seer—and he had seen in vision a temple and sketched it out.Contributor, vol. 14, no. 6 (Apr. 1893):260.

There was an architect in the first company of pioneers, William Weeks, who had designed the Nauvoo temple. But the stark life of the pioneer, the hopeless desolation, and the Moses-like leadership of Brigham Young were too much for him. When President Young went east in 1848, Brother Weeks left the Valley, saying, “They will never build the temple without me.”7

Brigham Young said: “We can build a temple without his assistance, altho’ he says we cannot.”8 Truman O. Angell, a carpenter, was appointed to replace Brother Weeks. “If the President and my brethren feel to sustain a poor worm of the dust like me to be Architect of the Church,” he said, “let me … serve them and not disgrace myself. … May the Lord help me so to do.”9

Whenever President Young held a council of the brethren of the Twelve and talked of building the temple of adobe or brick, … I would say to myself, ‘No, you will never do it;’ because I had seen it in my dream built of some other material.”Journal of Discourses, 21:299–300

That wicked spirit which had inspired Governor Boggs of Missouri to issue the extermination order against the Saints in 1838 broods forever over the work of the Lord. President Brigham Young had predicted: “We never began to build a temple without the bells of hell beginning to ring.” He added: “I want to hear them ring again. All the tribes of hell will be on the move, if we uncover the walls of this temple.”17 President Young had said when they entered the Valley: “If they let us alone ten years we would ask no odds of them.”18 Ten years to the day after they entered the valley, the pioneers were celebrating the 24th of July in the canyons when a messenger arrived with word that Johnson’s army was marching west to settle the “Mormon question.” Colonel Thomas Kane came to mediate.

The First Presidency ordered the settlements evacuated and the Saints to move south. Every evidence of construction was cleared away from Temple Square. All the stones were hidden. The foundation, which, after seven years’ work, was now nearing ground level, was covered over and the block was plowed. It looked then like a field ready to plant.

After peace was established and work could resume, the dirt was removed from the foundation of the temple, which at places was thirty-two feet deep. They found a crack or two running from the foundation stones down to the large rubble stones which formed the footings. A decision must be made! President Young refused to make it without revealed instruction. After seeking counsel from those around him and through that spirit of revelation which was constant with him, he ordered the foundations torn out and replaced.

Since human nature has not changed, one can imagine that there were murmurings. “If he is a prophet, why could not he have gotten that revelation a year ago, or five years ago? Now all that work is wasted.” Not so! President Young said: “When the Temple is built I want it to stand through the millennium, in connection with many others that will yet be built.”20 Someone asked Brigham Young once if they would ever live to see the temple completed. He responded: “I do not know. … This I do know: There should be a temple built here.”21

They counted on the principle of the arch on each window distributing the immense weight of the stone above it. When the foundation was replaced with shaped granite stones, sixteen large inverted arches were built into it. There is no record as to why they decided to do that. That manner of construction was then unknown in this country.

If someday perchance there be a massive force wanting to lift the temple from beneath, the arches may well act to distribute the pressure(the S.L. Temple is now being retrofitted to be even stronger).

In 1892 the capstone was laid, and it was unanimously determined to dedicate the temple one year later.

The problem of providing heat and light had been solved years earlier when the temple was at ground level. Natural gas was discovered in Farmington Bay. It was piped to the temple block, and they began to drill channels through the granite walls to conduct gas into all the rooms.

Then, about three years before the dedication, electricity became available. They converted the new gas chandeliers, which had been lovingly made by the quorums of elders, and the electric wires were run through the conduits already drilled up through the granite walls.

When the structure was closed in, attention was turned to the interior, which was to exceed in beauty the exterior. In 1890 John Fairbanks, John Hafen, Lorus Pratt, and Edwin Evans were set apart as missionaries to France. They were to learn to paint and sculpt, for the temple would be beautiful within, “so that the Lord’s name may be glorified and his cause advanced through … the arts.”22

Brother Fairbanks left seven children for his wife to look after. He could not bear to part with her in public, so two of the children walked with him to the station for a tearful parting.23 Each wife encouraged her husband to go. The women contributed no less than the men to the building of the temple. Perhaps only another woman can know the sacrifice a woman makes to see that something that must be done, that she cannot do herself, is done. And only a good man knows in his heart of hearts the depth of his dependency upon his wife; how she alone makes worth doing that which must be done, even at great personal sacrifice. The artists were called back when the rooms were ready, and they came with sketches and plans which pleased the Brethren.

A year later, James F. Woods was set apart as a missionary to England to gather genealogies in anticipation of the completion of the temple.24 How could Brother Woods know that he was pioneering a family history work beyond anything that had been imagined in the mind of man.

Eventually the day of dedication came. In the immense crowd was a seven-year-old boy from Tooele who would carry a clear memory of that event and of President Wilford W. Woodruff for another ninety years. LeGrand Richards would one day serve in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as his father before him had done.

When he was twelve, LeGrand heard President Woodruff give his last public address. Even after ninety years, Elder Richards bore clear testimony to us of those sacred events.

There have been many visitations to the temple of significance to individuals or to the Church. President Lorenzo Snow saw the Savior there. Most of these sacred experiences remain unrecorded or unpublished.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: S.L. Temple "All the tribes of hell will be on the move, if we uncover the walls of this temple.”

Post by kirtland r.m. »

A little more on this subject. In 1832, while in Jackson County, Missouri, the Prophet Joseph gathered a group of children together in the Lyman and Harriet Wight home and blessed them. Paulina Eliza Phelps, who was five at the time, later recalled, “In blessing me he said that I should live to go to the Rocky Mountains.(Signed affidavit by Paulina Elizabeth Phelps Lyman, witnessed on 31 July 1903 by James Jack, notary.)

On April 26, 1834, the Prophet Joseph held a meeting in a small schoolhouse on the property of Isaac and Lucy Morley in Kirtland, Ohio. Wilford Woodruff described what took place, and recorded a prophecy Joseph Smith made regarding the Saints settling in the Rocky Mountains:

“On Sunday night (April 26, 1834) the Prophet called on all who held the Priesthood to gather into the little log school house they had there. It was a small house, perhaps 14 feet square. But it held the whole of the Priesthood of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who were then in the town of Kirtland, and who had gathered together to go off in Zion’s camp. That was the first time I ever saw Oliver Cowdery, or heard him speak; the first time I ever saw Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, and the two Pratts [Orson and Parley], and Orson Hyde and many others. There were no Apostles in the Church then except Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. When we got together the Prophet called upon the Elders of Israel with him to bear testimony of this work. Those that I have named spoke, and a good many that I have not named, bore their testimonies.

“When they got through the Prophet said, ‘Brethren I have been very much edified and instructed in your testimonies here tonight, but I want to say to you before the Lord, that you know no more concerning the destinies of this Church and kingdom than a babe upon its mother’s lap. You don’t comprehend it.’ I was rather surprised. He said ‘it is only a little handful of Priesthood you see here tonight, but this Church will fill North and South America—it will fill the world.’

“Among other things he said, ‘it will fill the Rocky Mountains. There will be tens of thousands of Latter-day Saints who will be gathered in the Rocky Mountains, and there they will open the door for the establishing of the Gospel among the Lamanites, who will receive the Gospel and their endowments and the blessings of God. This people will go into the Rocky Mountains; they will there build temples to the Most High. They will raise up a posterity there, and the Latter-day Saints who dwell in these mountains will stand in the flesh until the coming of the Son of Man. The Son of Man will come to them while in the Rocky Mountains.” (Conference Report, April 1898, p. 57.)

Eight years later, on August 6, 1842, Joseph Smith recorded another prophecy that the Saints would be driven to the Rocky Mountains:

“Saturday, Aug. 6, 1842.—Passed over the river to Montrose, Iowa, in company with General Adams, Colonel Brewer, and others, and witnessed the installation of the officers of the Rising Sun Lodge Ancient York Masons, at Montrose by General James Adams, Deputy Grand-Master of Illinois. While the Deputy Grand-Master was engaged in giving the requisite instructions to the Master-elect, I had a conversation with a number of brethren in the shade of the building on the subject of our persecutions in Missouri and the constant annoyance which has followed us since we were driven from that state. I prophesied that the Saints would continue to suffer much affliction and would be driven to the Rocky Mountains, many would apostatize, others would be put to death by our persecutors or lose their lives in consequence of exposure to disease, and some of you will live to go and assist in making settlements and build cities and see the Saints become a mighty people in the midst of the Rocky Mountains.” (Joseph Smith Papers, History, 1838-1856, Vol. D-1, p. 1362; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 1938, 255.)

Anson Call, who was there, recorded more details in his journal about what the Prophet said. (Anson reports a different date, but is describing the same occasion). He wrote:

“With quite a number of his brethren, he [Joseph Smith] crossed the Mississippi River to the town of Montrose to be present at the installment of the Masonic lodge of the ‘rising sun.’ A block schoolhouse had been prepared with shade in front, under which a barrel of ice water [was set]. …[Hyrum Smith, John C. Bennett, and others], including Joseph Smith, remained under the bowery. [As Joseph] was tasting of the cold water,…with the tumbler still in his hand he prophesied that the Saints would yet go to the Rocky Mountains; …Said he, ‘this water tastes much like that of the crystal streams that are running from the snow capped mountains.’

“I had before seen him in a vision and now saw while he was talking his countenance changed to white: not the deadly white of a bloodless face, but a living brilliant white. He seemed absorbed in gazing at something at a great distance and said, ‘I am gazing upon the valleys of those mountains’. This was followed by a vivid description of the scenery of these mountains as I have since become acquainted with [them]. Pointing to Shadrach Roundy and others, he said, ‘There are some men here who shall do a great work in that land.’ Pointing to me he said, ‘There is Anson, he shall go and shall assist in building cities from one end of that country to the other, and you’ rather extending the idea to all those he had spoken of, ‘shall perform as great a work as has been done by man, so that the nation of the earth shall be astonished and many of them will be gathered in that land and assist in building cities and temples, and Israel shall he made to rejoiced’.

“It is impossible to represent in words this scene which is still vivid in my mind, of the grandeur of Joseph’s appearance, his beautiful descriptions of this land and his wonderful prophetic utterances as they emanated from the glorious inspirations that overshadowed him. There was a force and power in his exclamations of which the following is but a faint echo: ‘Oh the beauty of those snow capped mountains. The cool refreshing streams that are running down through those mountains’ gorges.’

“Then gazing in another direction, as if there was a change and locality; ‘Oh the scenes that this people will pass through’ The dead that will lay between here and there.’ Then turning in another direction as if the scene had again changed: ‘Oh the apostasy that will take place before my brethren reach that land’. But he continued, ‘the Priesthood shall prevail over all it’s enemies, triumph over the devil and be established upon the earth never more to be thrown down.’ He then charged us with great force and power, to be faithful in these things…” (Life Sketch of Anson Call, 1810-1890, Pioneer in Building the West.)

Oliver B. Huntington recalled that in 1840, Joseph Smith’s father visited the Huntington home and said that the Lord had informed the Prophet Joseph that the Mormons would stay in Nauvoo only seven years, after which time they would go to the Rocky Mountains:

“My father was living in a good hewed log house in 1840 when one morning as the family all sat at breakfast old Father Joseph Smith, the first Patriarch of the Church and father of the Prophet Joseph, came in and sat down by the fire place, after declining to take breakfast with us, and there he sat some little time in silence looking steadily in the fire. At length he observed that we had been driven from Missouri to this place; with some passing comments, he then asked this question: ‘And how long, Brother Huntington, do you think we will stay here?’ As he asked this question I noticed a strange, good-natured expression creep over his whole being—an air of mysterious joy.

“Father answered, after just a moment’s hesitation, ‘Well, Father Smith, I can’t begin to imagine.’

“’We will just stay here seven years,’ he answered. ‘The Lord has told Joseph so—just seven years,’ he repeated. ‘Now this is not to be made public; I would not like to have this word go any further,’ said the Patriarch, who leaned and relied upon his son Joseph in all spiritual matters as much as boys generally do upon their parents for temporalities. There were then two or three minutes of perfect silence. The old gentleman with more apparent secret joy and caution in his countenance said, ‘And where do you think we will go to when we leave here, Brother Huntington?’ Father did not pretend to guess; unless we went back to Jackson County.

“’No,’ said the old Patriarch, his whole being seeming to be alive with animation. ‘The Lord has told Joseph that when we leave here we will go into the Rocky Mountains; right into the midst of the Lamanites.’

“This information filled our hearts with unspeakable joy, for we knew that the Book of Mormon and this gospel had been brought to light more for the remnants of Jacob upon this continent than for the Gentiles.

“Father Smith again enjoined upon us profound secrecy in this matter and I don’t think it was ever uttered by one of Father Huntington’s family. The history of Nauvoo shows that we located in Nauvoo in 1839 and left it in 1846.

“The Church did move to the Rocky Mountains into the midst of the Indians or Lamanites—or more properly speaking the Jews—and here expect to live until we move to the spirit land or the Lord moves us somewhere else.”

(Oliver B. Huntington, “Prophecy,” Young Woman’s Journal 2, no. 7 [April 1891], pp. 314–15; also in Remembering Joseph, 2003, pp. 138-139.)

Later in Salt Lake City, Oliver B. Huntington related another experience in his journal: “Monday [Sept.] 27th [1897]… I met [this] day, at the Hall of Relicks, Hopkins G. Pendar, an old Nauvoo Mormon, and from him learned that Joseph Smith just before he was killed, made a sketch of the future home of the saints in the Rocky Mountains, and their route or road to that country as he had seen in vision; a map or drawing of it. Levi W. Hancock drew a copy of that map, which copy H. C. Pender [sic] had seen. He said that Levi W. Hancock told him that there was 4 copies of that map taken, one of which Brigham Young kept, one was carried by the Mormon Battalion, by which they knew where to find the church, or Salt Lake Valley.” (“History of the Life of Oliver B. Huntington, Written by Himself 1878–1900,” BYU Special Collections, typescript, p. 50.)

Mosiah Hancock described an experience when Joseph Smith visited his family in their home in Nauvoo, just prior to the Prophet’s martyrdom. Mosiah wrote: “The Prophet came to our home and stopped in our carpenter shop and stood by the turning lathe. I went and got my map for him. ‘Now,’ said he, ‘I will show you the travels of this people.’ He then showed our travels thru Iowa, and said, ‘Here you will make a place for the winter; and here you will travel west until you come to the valley of the Great Salt Lake! You will build cities to the North and to the South, and to the East and to the West; and you will become a great and wealthy people in that land.'” (Mosiah Lyman Hancock, Autobiography, 1834-1865, comp. Amy E. Baird, Victoria H. Jackson, and Laura L. Wassell [daughters of Mosiah Hancock], BYU Special Collections, typescript.)

Just five days before he was martyred (on 22 June 1844), the Prophet Joseph Smith learned by revelation that if he and his brother Hyrum were taken to Carthage, they would be murdered. Said he, “I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God” (History of the Church, 6:546). That same day, the Prophet received a prompting about what to do to spare their lives: “The way is open,” he told Hyrum. “It is clear to my mind what do…We will cross the river tonight, and go away to the West” (History of the Church, 6:545-546). To the Saints in Nauvoo, Joseph said, “All they want is Hyrum and myself.…They will come here and search for us. Let them search; they will not harm you in person or property, and not even a hair of your head. We will cross the river tonight, and go away to the West” (History of the Church, 6:545-546). Later that same evening, Hyrum spoke to Reynolds Cahoon: “A company of men are seeking to kill my brother Joseph, and the Lord has warned him to flee to the Rocky Mountains to save his life” (History of the Church 6:547).

That night the Prophet, Hyrum, Reynolds Cahoon and Orrin Porter Rockwell rowed across the Mississippi River to an island for safety. While there, letters arrived accusing Joseph of abandoning the Saints who didn’t believe his promise they would be safe. Heartbroken, and knowing the fate that awaited them, Joseph and Hyrum returned to Nauvoo, were then arrested, and taken to Carthage. John Murdock, who watched them row back across the river, later confirmed that Joseph knew by revelation where he could find safety. He said, “The light he had was toward the mountains” (Southern Star 1, 11 March 1899, 117).

Three years later in 1847, and while leading the first company of pioneers to the west, Apostle George A. Smith described a vision President Brigham Young had one night when the Prophet Joseph Smith appeared to him and accrued him in vision to Ensign Peak, which lies on the north end of the Salt Lake Valley:

“After the death of Joseph Smith, when it seemed as if every trouble and calamity had come upon the Saints, Brigham Young . . . sought the Lord to know what they should do, and where they should lead the people for safety, and while they were fasting and praying daily on this subject. President Young had a vision of Joseph Smith, who showed him the mountain that we now call Ensign Peak, immediately north of Salt Lake City, and there . . . an ensign [flag] fell upon that peak, and Joseph said, ‘Build under the point where the colors fall and you will prosper and have peace.’” (Journal of Discourses, 20 June 1869, 13:85-86.)

As the vanguard company neared the Salt Lake Valley, Rocky Mountain fever hit (an illness spread by ticks and brings chills, coughs, severe headaches and pains throughout the body). President Brigham Young was smitten and became ill. A small, advance group, was sent ahead to look over the valley. When they returned to report, President Young said, “This is the right spot. I know it is the spot and we have come here according to the suggestion and direction of Joseph Smith who was martyred. The word of the Lord was to go to that valley and the best place you can find in it is the spot. I prayed that he would lead us directly to the best spot, which he has done, for after searching we can find no better.” (Norton Jacobs Diary, 28 July 1847, Archives of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)https://latterdaysaintmag.com/joseph-sm ... ke-valley/

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: S.L. Temple "All the tribes of hell will be on the move, if we uncover the walls of this temple.”

Post by TheDuke »

As I recall the old BY stories said the temple was built to withstand the earthquakes of the last days as built. Yet, here we are rebuilding it again, and making it something else. Makes me sad. But, only LDS could tear apart the SL temple for sure.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

TheDuke wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:32 pm As I recall the old BY stories said the temple was built to withstand the earthquakes of the last days as built. Yet, here we are rebuilding it again, and making it something else. Makes me sad. But, only LDS could tear apart the SL temple for sure.
It could withstand a small earthquake, but not the 8.2 that is coming. Not to mention the flooding it will be hit with aswell.

The earthquake will happen when work is mostly done, but before they move everything back in..... church knows what they are doing

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Well, that is not what I was taught when I was young. An upside down pyramid foundation to survive into the millennium........... Just saying. Not making any judgement but I don't like the fact that they took away the paintings, rooms and heritage stuff so Q15 and others could have a shorter session. That just doesn't ring with what I was told for 50 years. but then again toss those old prophets out in with the new.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

TheDuke wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:32 pm As I recall the old BY stories said the temple was built to withstand the earthquakes of the last days as built. Yet, here we are rebuilding it again, and making it something else. Makes me sad. But, only LDS could tear apart the SL temple for sure.
This may include the quote you heard in years past and are referring to.

Brigham Young

There are some of the sealing ordinances that cannot be administered in the house that we are now using; we can only administer in it some of the first ordinances of the Priesthood pertaining to the endowment. There are more advanced ordinances that cannot be administered there; we would, therefore, like a temple, but I am willing to wait a few years for it. I want to see the temple built in a manner that it will endure through the Millennium. This is not the only temple we shall build; there will be hundreds of them built and dedicated to the Lord. This temple will be known as the first temple built in the mountains by the Latter-day Saints. And when the Millennium is over, and all the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve, down to the last of their posterity, who come within the reach of the clemency of the Gospel, have been redeemed in hundreds of temples through the administration of their children as proxies for them, I want that temple still to stand as a proud monument of the faith, perseverance and industry of the Saints of God in the mountains, in the nineteenth century. (Discourses of Brigham Young, p.395)

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

TheDuke wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:59 pm Well, that is not what I was taught when I was young. An upside down pyramid foundation to survive into the millennium........... Just saying. Not making any judgement but I don't like the fact that they took away the paintings, rooms and heritage stuff so Q15 and others could have a shorter session. That just doesn't ring with what I was told for 50 years. but then again toss those old prophets out in with the new.
I don't like that they took out the murals and other historic pioneer work- especially after they said they were going to preserve them.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

silverado wrote: November 7th, 2022, 8:54 am
TheDuke wrote: November 6th, 2022, 8:59 pm Well, that is not what I was taught when I was young. An upside down pyramid foundation to survive into the millennium........... Just saying. Not making any judgement but I don't like the fact that they took away the paintings, rooms and heritage stuff so Q15 and others could have a shorter session. That just doesn't ring with what I was told for 50 years. but then again toss those old prophets out in with the new.
I don't like that they took out the murals and other historic pioneer work- especially after they said they were going to preserve them.
I agree 100%!
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on November 9th, 2022, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I think Dr and Mrs Nelson want to leave us with a newly-designed Salt Lake Temple as their legacy.
I don’t believe it will ever be finished. I think the earthquake and flooding will destroy it before it is rededicated.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:00 pm
I think Dr and Mrs Nelson want to leave us with a newly-designed Salt Lake Temple as their legacy.
I don’t believe it will ever be finished. I think the earthquake and flooding will destroy it before it is rededicated.
I think you're right about the Nelson "legacy".

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

silverado wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:37 pm
As Sister Nelson said about what he's doing,
“It is as though he's been unleashed. He's free to finally do what he came to earth to do. … And also, he's free to follow through with things he's been concerned about but could never do. Now that he's president of [the Church], he can do those things.”
That statement was from 2018, back when it was still called the Mormon Newsroom.

Imagine being a surgeon and being put on a leash by a newspaper manager like Pres Monson.
“He thinks outside the box,” his wife, Wendy Nelson, says in a video interview on the church’s Newsroom website. “If it’s not outside the box, he’s not that interested in it.”
That is pretty clear with what he has been doing. If there is a choice to change something or keep it the same, the choice seems to lean towards, "change it."
“He's not afraid to do something different. If we're really preparing the church and the world for the Second Coming of the savior, he is sincere about that. He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that.”
Kind of sounds like up until Nelson took over we weren't really preparing for the Second Coming.

What is interesting is that it's Wendy Nelson telling us these things instead of the 'Prophet' himself.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Lemarque wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:20 pm

“It is as though he's been unleashed. He's free to finally do what he came to earth to do. … And also, he's free to follow through with things he's been concerned about but could never do. Now that he's president of [the Church], he can do those things.”
That statement was from 2018, back when it was still called the Mormon Newsroom.

Imagine being a surgeon and being put on a leash by a newspaper manager like Pres Monson.
“He thinks outside the box,” his wife, Wendy Nelson, says in a video interview on the church’s Newsroom website. “If it’s not outside the box, he’s not that interested in it.”
That is pretty clear with what he has been doing. If there is a choice to change something or keep it the same, the choice seems to lean towards, "change it."
“He's not afraid to do something different. If we're really preparing the church and the world for the Second Coming of the savior, he is sincere about that. He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that.”
Kind of sounds like up until Nelson took over we weren't really preparing for the Second Coming.

What is interesting is that it's Wendy Nelson telling us these things instead of the 'Prophet' himself.
What, in your mind, has he actually done, substantively? Prophetically?

I mean ... I'd not include CFM or temple renovation ... these smack of non-substantive, mundane, temporal acts. What else?

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:00 pm I don’t believe it will ever be finished. I think the earthquake and flooding will destroy it before it is rededicated.
Or it does get finished and it is trumpeted in some grand PR show, ribbon cutting and all, and the prophet announces it will stand through the Millenium and then sometime after the not so prophetic announcement, the earthquake brings the whole thing down and the parable is fulfilled that says, "throw down their tower".

"Therefore, get ye straightway unto my land; break down the walls of mine enemies; throw down their tower, and scatter their watchmen."

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:02 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:00 pm I don’t believe it will ever be finished. I think the earthquake and flooding will destroy it before it is rededicated.
Or it does get finished and it is trumpeted in some grand PR show, ribbon cutting and all, and the prophet announces it will stand through the Millenium and then sometime after the not so prophetic announcement, the earthquake brings the whole thing down and the parable is fulfilled that says, "throw down their tower".

"Therefore, get ye straightway unto my land; break down the walls of mine enemies; throw down their tower, and scatter their watchmen."
That would be an amazing scenario. Proof of the folly of trying to outsmart God.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Wendy Watson Nelson wrote:“He's not afraid to do something different. If we're really preparing the church and the world for the Second Coming of the savior, he is sincere about that. He doesn't want us spending money, time, energy on anything that isn't really focused on that.

From this statement made by RMNelson's wife, we can deduce that RMNelson believes that giving tens of millions of tithing dollars to the billionaire eugenicist antichrist, Bill Gates, and to the racist, Marxist NAACP, and to the child abusers and abortionists at UNICEF, etc. etc. etc. is directly preparing the church and the world for the Second Coming of the Savior. I marvel.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

When the Mexico City Temple was renovated, they used the same technology that they are now using in the Salt Lake Temple. The Concepción Chile temple, built over the most seismic area in the entire world, uses the same technology.

Essentially they are designed to withstand an earthquake of 12.0 mag. Even a 10.0 mag, it is described, would feel like a 2.0 mag.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Subcomandante wrote: November 8th, 2022, 3:51 pm When the Mexico City Temple was renovated, they used the same technology that they are now using in the Salt Lake Temple. The Concepción Chile temple, built over the most seismic area in the entire world, uses the same technology.

Essentially they are designed to withstand an earthquake of 12.0 mag. Even a 10.0 mag, it is described, would feel like a 2.0 mag.
Earthquake resistance is not all they are doing to the Salt Lake temple. They are completely re-doing the interior in order to show filmed ceremonies instead of the live presentation. They are gutting the murals and much of the pioneer woodwork. It will probably be a cross between a suburban McMansion and Mar-a-lago when they get done, and Wendy will take a lot of the credit. I am also interested in what the exterior will look like — are they just cleaning under all that scaffolding?

Yes, we have been fed a real deception with the “earthquake-proofing”.

So God, who controls the earthquakes, floods, and everything else His Earth does, cannot choose to protect or destroy a man-made building? Mountains fall at His command. Puny men are nothing compared to His power and greatness.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

LDS Physician wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:35 pm

What, in your mind, has he actually done, substantively? Prophetically?

I mean ... I'd not include CFM or temple renovation ... these smack of non-substantive, mundane, temporal acts. What else?
I can't think of a prophetic thing. Mostly it has been things like renaming home teaching and tithing settlement.

But the stuff like stopping pageants, taking down murals (not just in temples but also in older church buildings), having 'approved' artwork, and CFM are all examples of how the church is turning everything into a sanitized experience.

I'm sunday school pres in our ward, and in May for the 5th sunday the bishop came up to me and asked if my wife and I would share how we follow CFM and how it has blessed us, because, as the bishop said, "you guys are doing really well with it." When I got up I told everyone that in the gospel library app I can check the history and see how many times I've opened CFM. At that point, I had opened CFM only a few times for the year. Then I went on and told them that I really focus on the 'home-centered' aspect of gospel study, and my only goal is to make sure that my kids know where to look for a remission of their sins like it says in 2 Nephi. I don't think the bishopric was expecting that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »