Occulus creator makes Virtual Reality Headset that intentionally kills people

Discuss political news items / current events.
FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Occulus creator makes Virtual Reality Headset that intentionally kills people

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Mr Luckey said that while the technology at the moment is “just a piece of office art”, intending to be thought-provoking about game design. But he also said that it seems to be the first time such a system has been created, and “it won’t be the last”.

“The idea of tying your real life to your virtual avatar has always fascinated me – you instantly raise the stakes to the maximum level and force people to fundamentally rethink how they interact with the virtual world and the players inside it,” Mr Luckey wrote in the blog post announcing the ‘NerveGear’.

“Pumped up graphics might make a game look more real, but only the threat of serious consequences can make a game feel real to you and every other person in the game. This is an area of videogame mechanics that has never been explored, despite the long history of real-world sports revolving around similar stakes.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/sho ... af4c6fbb80

Reminds me of:

LUCIFER: Well, Adam, you have a new world here.
ADAM: A new world?
LUCIFER: Yes, a new world, patterned after the old one where we used to live.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Occulus creator makes Virtual Reality Headset that intentionally kills people

Post by Original_Intent »

Wow. I thought I couldn't be surprised by any insanity in this world.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Occulus creator makes Virtual Reality Headset that intentionally kills people

Post by Original_Intent »

Also, it would suck to be QA on that product

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Original_Intent wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:37 pm Wow. I thought I couldn't be surprised by any insanity in this world.
People will do anything online in search of power, wealth and sexual pleasure.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Niemand wrote: November 9th, 2022, 10:45 am
Original_Intent wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:37 pm Wow. I thought I couldn't be surprised by any insanity in this world.
People will do anything online in search of power, wealth and sexual pleasure.
So do the people who control this world.☹️

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

If Mario gets hit by a barrel you die this time. It’s on like Donkey Kong!
Last edited by dreamtheater76 on November 9th, 2022, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

I see where this is going. On-line gaming Mortal Kombat. Fatality! You lose. Scorpion wins. It’s going to be a hit with a lot of stupid young people. Occultist/Satanist witch and Hillary Clinton associate Marina Abramovic did advertising for Microsoft and virtual reality headsets. I’m sure Xbox Live will be on it first. Time to switch to Linux?

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

dreamtheater76 wrote: November 9th, 2022, 5:35 pm I see where this is going. On-line gaming Mortal Kombat. Fatality! You lose. Scorpion wins. It’s going to be a hit with a lot of stupid young people. Occultist/Satanist witch and Hillary Clinton associate Marina Abramovic did advertising for Microsoft and virtual reality headsets. I’m sure Xbox Live will be on it first. Time to switch to Linux?
You see the movie 'Ready Player One'? That's what I think of

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

I honestly don't see why this is so groundbreaking. It's not even functional; it's just something he dreamed up and is yakking about.

Meanwhile, people have been willingly hurling themselves off cliffs and out of airplanes for years for the same kind of adrenaline rush you'd get from this kind of game. Nobody thinks twice about it. Actually, that's not true. They're admired and emulated. They're considered legitimate sports. The ones who die doing it are held up as heroes. How would death from a video game be any different? Because it'd be some pasty-white nerdy type dying in his mom's basement? Not as cool as falling to your death off a radio tower?