Acumen. An exercise in sincerity.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Acumen. An exercise in sincerity.

Post by marc »

In light of a comment made elsewhere that prophets make you smarter, which prophet, if any, has genuinely facilitated an increase in your intelligence and acumen? Three come to mind for me:

1. Isaiah
2. Nephi
3. Joseph Smith

Honorable mention: Ezra Taft Benson

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Acumen. An exercise in sincerity.

Post by EmmaLee »

In no particular order -

Joseph Smith
Isaiah
Daniel
John
Moroni

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I would add Jeremiah to those posted by Marc and EmmaLee.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Jeremiah is a portrait of humility and long-suffering.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

marc wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:44 pm Jeremiah is a portrait of humility and long-suffering.
Not to derail, but I literally just stumbled upon this link to a free video about Jeremiah. I have not watched it yet, so can't give an opinion - but it looks good. Maybe worth checking out - https://www.revelationmedia.com/watchje ... NTBNLJER2/

"The Lord called Jeremiah to be His prophet, but he would have to leave all that he loved behind to share the message with God’s people."

"You don’t want to miss watching The Bible Collection: Jeremiah for FREE in RevelationMedia’s online movie event. Watch the story of Jeremiah in this epic tale of God’s love for His people in spite of their choices to turn away from Him. When the people of Israel had lost their way and turned aside toward paganism, God called upon young Jeremiah to announce His Word to His people. Instead of repenting, the people subjected Jeremiah to all kinds of evil. Would false prophets lead the people away from the truth Jeremiah carried to them? See the steadfast faith of the prophet Jeremiah, and his commitment to following the Lord."

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I can honestly say that in my adult life, listening to each prophet has led me to an increase of light and knowledge. The act of questioning everything the prophets say has greatly blessed me (but also been a terrible burden).

Seeker144k
captain of 100

Post by Seeker144k »

marc wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:02 pm In light of a comment made elsewhere that prophets make you smarter, which prophet, if any, has genuinely facilitated an increase in your intelligence and acumen? Three come to mind for me:

1. Isaiah
2. Nephi
3. Joseph Smith

Honorable mention: Ezra Taft Benson
I'm not sure that it is being a prophet that "makes us smarter" or is able to teach us new ideas we have not considered. I have learned to be smarter from many non-prophets as well.

The greatest mind expanding knowledge I have received was directly from God and Christ. Nothing compares to what I have learned from them directly, and what they have taught me has made some things I have heard from prophets sound like guessing fools.

I have seen many people with a "follow the prophet" mindset actually get dumber from "prophets".

I love many of the things taught by Joseph Smith, Ezra Taft Benson, Romney and others. But I also think that Benson's "14 fundamentals in following the prophet" (given as an apostle which means he was considered a prophet, seer and revelator), was one of the most spiritually damaging discourses taught in the church which continues to make people dumber.

~Seeker