David Archuleta leaving the church

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Re: David Archuleta leaving the church

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:39 am
Benjamin_LK wrote: November 6th, 2022, 3:03 pm Polygamy is not foundational. Never was
“From him [Joseph Smith] I learned that the doctrine of plural and celestial marriage is the most holy and important doctrine ever revealed to man on the earth, and that without obedience to that principle no man can ever attain to the fulness of exaltation in celestial glory.” (William Clayton, 16 February 1874, as quoted in Historical Record, Vol. 6, Nos. 3-5, pg. 226, May 1887)

Sounds very foundational to me.
We can disagree, but Celestial Marriage isn’t inherently plural. One or many makes no difference.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Benjamin_LK wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:50 am We can disagree, but Celestial Marriage isn’t inherently plural.
Not true. “Celestial Marriage” means Plural Marriage.

“It is a righteous principle not an unrighteous one. It is a pure and holy principle; and, therefore, persons, either male or female, who have not the desire in their hearts to become pure and righteous, have no business to practice it, for it cannot be practiced acceptably before God on any other principle than that of purity and righteousness, therefore no wicked unjust or impure person can enter into the law of celestial or plural marriage without incurring the displeasure of the Almighty and his own condemnation before the Lord, unless he speedily repent of all his impure motives and designs.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:27, 7 July 1878)

“A published dispatch from America, dated Jan. 6th, informs us that, ‘The United States Supreme Court has decided that Congress has power to pass laws prohibiting polygamous marriages in Utah, and that such laws are constitutional.’
Those who are filled with gloating anticipation at the decision doubtless couple their joyful expressions with prognostications of the speedy doom and downfall of ‘Mormonism.’ Full well do they know that the Saints cannot give up plural, or rather the Celestial Order of Marriage without relinquishing their religion.” (Editorial, Millennial Star, Vol. 41, No. 2, pg. 24, 27, 13 January 1879)

“And I will here say, that we have been sustained by the hand of Jehovah in a marvelous and miraculous manner ever since we came to these valleys and proclaimed to the world our belief in the revelation of celestial or plural marriage; and I will say further, and in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior and Elder Brother, we shall be sustained from this time until he comes in the clouds of heaven, inasmuch as we shrink not from the performance of our duties.” (Wilford Woodruff, JD 22:148, 3 April 1881)

“. . . when Joseph Smith first made known the revelation concerning plural marriage and of having more wives than one, it made my flesh crawl; but, Mr. President, I received such evidence and testimony pertaining to this matter, scriptural and otherwise, which it was impossible for me as an honest man to resist, and believing it to be right I obeyed it and practised it. * * * this principle is connected with the Saints alone, and pertains to eternity as well as time, and is known to us by the appellation of ‘celestial marriage’.” (John Taylor, JD 23:64, 9 April 1882)

“Apostle F. D. Richards was quite prepared to vote but would humbly ask that, before the question was put, another word might be inserted in his remarks for the word ‘Polygamy.’ That was a Gentile word, and he would rather have another word inserted, say Patriarchal or Celestial marriage.” (Salt Lake School of the Prophets Minute Book, 1883, CHL)

“We did not reveal celestial marriage. We cannot withdraw or renounce it. God revealed it, and He has promised to maintain it, and to bless those who obey it.
Upwards of forty years ago the Lord revealed to His Church the principle of celestial marriage. The idea of marrying more wives than one was as naturally abhorrent to the leading men and women of the Church at that day as it could be to any people. They shrank with dread from the bare thought of entering into such relationships. But the command of God was before them in language which no faithful soul dare disobey.
‘For, behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant, and be permitted to enter into my glory. * *
And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fullness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fullness thereof, must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.’
Damnation was the awful penalty affixed to a refusal to obey this law.” (John Taylor and George Q. Cannon, Letter to the Officers and Members of the Church, 6 October 1885, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 47, No. 45, pg. 708, 711, 9 November 1885)

“Respecting the doctrine of plural or celestial marriage to which the prosecution so often referred, it was revealed to me, and afterwards, in 1843, fully explained to me by Joseph Smith, the Prophet.
I married my wives because God commanded it. The ceremony, which united us for time and eternity, was performed by a servant of God, having authority. God being my helper, I would prefer to die a thousand deaths than renounce my wives and violate these sacred obligations.
The Prosecuting Attorney was quite mistaken in saying ‘the defendant Mr. Snow was the most scholarly and brightest light of the Apostles;’ and equally wrong when pleading with the jury to assist him and the ‘United States of America,’ in convicting Apostle Snow, and he ‘would predict that a new revelation would soon follow changing the Divine law of celestial marriage.’ Whatever fame Mr. Bierbower may have secured as a lawyer, he certainly will fail as a prophet. The severest prosecutions have never been followed by revelations changing a divine law, obedience to which brought imprisonment or martyrdom.
Though I go to prison, God will not change His law of celestial marriage.” (Lorenzo Snow, 19 January 1886, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 48, No. 7, pg. 110-111, 15 February 1886)
Benjamin_LK wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:50 am One or many makes no difference.
That very argument was addressed by Joseph F. Smith:

“The new and everlasting covenant is marriage—plural marriage. Men may say that with their single marriage the same promises and blessings will be granted—‘Why cannot I attain to as much as with three or four?’ Many question me in this manner, I suppose they are afraid of the Edmunds Act. What is the covenant? It is the eternity of the marriage covenant, and includes a plurality of wives, and takes both to make the law.” (Joseph F. Smith, 4 March 1883, Utah Stake Historical Record, CHL)

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Artaxerxes wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:14 am
ransomme wrote: November 7th, 2022, 4:06 am
Artaxerxes wrote: November 6th, 2022, 7:18 pm
Light Seeker wrote: November 6th, 2022, 7:14 pm Butt I’m confused ….

Didn’t the P, S and R’s have the ability to see this was going to be the outcome when he was 16 on American “IDOL”?

This is exactly playing out how I thought it would . Every time they foisted him up as a paragon of Mormon virtue it could end no other way . Then he decided against a mission publicly and then changed his mind and then someone approved a video showcasing him on his mission because he was famous and that is faith promoting right. I also remember a stake president or mission president who was interviewed and they said that he is “ so pure”.

The Mo Mo’s are infatuated with anyone who is Mormon and famous as well .

Constant performances in the Conference Center. An “example for the youth”.

I’m sure they saw this all from the beginning. Again either they are complicit or they are dupes…..
You know the priesthood isn't a super power right? I mean, do you say the same thing about Joseph not knowing that Thomas Marsh, or the Whitmers, or Oliver, or any of the dozen of other people who went bad?
The Spirit has superpowers, so it depends on how close we are to the Holy Spirit and head His promptings.
So Joseph wasn't close to the spirit for basically his whole life? Is that the implication?
No. I was really just making a statement about the Holy Spirit. So more than me or you or pretty much every one of this generation Joseph had stronger communion with the Holy Spirit.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:54 am
Benjamin_LK wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:50 am We can disagree, but Celestial Marriage isn’t inherently plural.

“It is a righteous principle not an unrighteous one. It is a pure and holy principle; and, therefore, persons, either male or female, who have not the desire in their hearts to become pure and righteous, have no business to practice it, for it cannot be practiced acceptably before God on any other principle than that of purity and righteousness, therefore no wicked unjust or impure person can enter into the law of celestial or plural marriage without incurring the displeasure of the Almighty and his own condemnation before the Lord, unless he speedily repent of all his impure motives and designs.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:27, 7 July 1878)

“A published dispatch from America, dated Jan. 6th, informs us that, ‘The United States Supreme Court has decided that Congress has power to pass laws prohibiting polygamous marriages in Utah, and that such laws are constitutional.’
Those who are filled with gloating anticipation at the decision doubtless couple their joyful expressions with prognostications of the speedy doom and downfall of ‘Mormonism.’ Full well do they know that the Saints cannot give up plural, or rather the Celestial Order of Marriage without relinquishing their religion.” (Editorial, Millennial Star, Vol. 41, No. 2, pg. 24, 27, 13 January 1879)

“And I will here say, that we have been sustained by the hand of Jehovah in a marvelous and miraculous manner ever since we came to these valleys and proclaimed to the world our belief in the revelation of celestial or plural marriage; and I will say further, and in the name of Jesus Christ our Savior and Elder Brother, we shall be sustained from this time until he comes in the clouds of heaven, inasmuch as we shrink not from the performance of our duties.” (Wilford Woodruff, JD 22:148, 3 April 1881)

“. . . when Joseph Smith first made known the revelation concerning plural marriage and of having more wives than one, it made my flesh crawl; but, Mr. President, I received such evidence and testimony pertaining to this matter, scriptural and otherwise, which it was impossible for me as an honest man to resist, and believing it to be right I obeyed it and practised it. * * * this principle is connected with the Saints alone, and pertains to eternity as well as time, and is known to us by the appellation of ‘celestial marriage’.” (John Taylor, JD 23:64, 9 April 1882)

“Apostle F. D. Richards was quite prepared to vote but would humbly ask that, before the question was put, another word might be inserted in his remarks for the word ‘Polygamy.’ That was a Gentile word, and he would rather have another word inserted, say Patriarchal or Celestial marriage.” (Salt Lake School of the Prophets Minute Book, 1883, CHL)

“We did not reveal celestial marriage. We cannot withdraw or renounce it. God revealed it, and He has promised to maintain it, and to bless those who obey it.
Upwards of forty years ago the Lord revealed to His Church the principle of celestial marriage. The idea of marrying more wives than one was as naturally abhorrent to the leading men and women of the Church at that day as it could be to any people. They shrank with dread from the bare thought of entering into such relationships. But the command of God was before them in language which no faithful soul dare disobey.
‘For, behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant, and be permitted to enter into my glory. * *
And as pertaining to the new and everlasting covenant, it was instituted for the fullness of my glory; and he that receiveth a fullness thereof, must and shall abide the law, or he shall be damned, saith the Lord God.’
Damnation was the awful penalty affixed to a refusal to obey this law.” (John Taylor and George Q. Cannon, Letter to the Officers and Members of the Church, 6 October 1885, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 47, No. 45, pg. 708, 711, 9 November 1885)

“Respecting the doctrine of plural or celestial marriage to which the prosecution so often referred, it was revealed to me, and afterwards, in 1843, fully explained to me by Joseph Smith, the Prophet.
I married my wives because God commanded it. The ceremony, which united us for time and eternity, was performed by a servant of God, having authority. God being my helper, I would prefer to die a thousand deaths than renounce my wives and violate these sacred obligations.
The Prosecuting Attorney was quite mistaken in saying ‘the defendant Mr. Snow was the most scholarly and brightest light of the Apostles;’ and equally wrong when pleading with the jury to assist him and the ‘United States of America,’ in convicting Apostle Snow, and he ‘would predict that a new revelation would soon follow changing the Divine law of celestial marriage.’ Whatever fame Mr. Bierbower may have secured as a lawyer, he certainly will fail as a prophet. The severest prosecutions have never been followed by revelations changing a divine law, obedience to which brought imprisonment or martyrdom.
Though I go to prison, God will not change His law of celestial marriage.” (Lorenzo Snow, 19 January 1886, as quoted in Millennial Star, Vol. 48, No. 7, pg. 110-111, 15 February 1886)

“The new and everlasting covenant is marriage—plural marriage. Men may say that with their single marriage the same promises and blessings will be granted—‘Why cannot I attain to as much as with three or four?’ Many question me in this manner, I suppose they are afraid of the Edmunds Act. What is the covenant? It is the eternity of the marriage covenant, and includes a plurality of wives, and takes both to make the law.” (Joseph F. Smith, 4 March 1883, Utah Stake Historical Record, CHL)
In other words, it makes no difference, no person with multiple is inherently any more exalted than myself with just one spouse.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I place the blame for this directly at the feet of the leadership. If they would teach about the abilities and capabilities of evil spirits, David could get them cast out. He could then live s normal life.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Found on a website.
---------
Nia Colver
As a queer MTC teacher (supervisor now), I'm so happy to see other people who have a rock hard testimony of Christ BECAUSE of their sexuality. Thank you so much for sharing!
-----------

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Benjamin_LK wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:51 pm

In other words, it makes no difference, no person with multiple is inherently any more exalted than myself with just one spouse.
Did you even read the quotations? That’s the exact opposite of what those men made clear.

Here’s another plain-as-day quote:

“Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential to the salvation or exaltation of mankind. In other words, some of the Saints have said, and believe, that a man with one wife, sealed to him by the authority of the Priesthood for time and eternity, will receive an exaltation as great and glorious, if he is faithful, as he possibly could with more than one. I want here to enter my solemn protest against this idea, for I know it is false. There is no blessing promised except upon conditions, and no blessing can be obtained by mankind except by faithful compliance with the conditions, or law, upon which the same is promised. The marriage of one woman to a man for time and eternity by the sealing power, according to the law of God, is a fulfillment of the celestial law of marriage in part—and is good so far as it goes—and so far as a man abides these conditions of the law, he will receive his reward therefor, and this reward, or blessing, he could not obtain on any other grounds or conditions. But this is only the beginning of the law, not the whole of it. Therefore, whoever has imagined that he could obtain the fullness of the blessings pertaining to this celestial law, by complying with only a portion of its conditions, has deceived himself. He cannot do it.
It is a glorious privilege to be permitted to go into a Temple of God to be united as man and wife in the bonds of holy wedlock for time and all eternity by the Authority of the Holy Priesthood, which is the power of God, for they who are thus joined together ‘no man can put asunder,’ for God hath joined them. It is an additional privilege for that same man and wife to re-enter the Temple of God to receive another wife in like manner if they are worthy. But if he remain faithful with only the one wife, observing the conditions of so much of the law as pertains to the eternity of the marriage covenant, he will receive his reward, but the benefits, blessings and power appertaining to the second or more faithful and fuller observance of the law, he never will receive, for he cannot.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:28, 30-31, 7 July 1878)

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Luke wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:49 am

Did you even read the quotations? That’s the exact opposite of what those men made clear.

“Some people have supposed that the doctrine of plural marriage was a sort of superfluity, or non-essential to the salvation or exaltation of mankind. In other words, some of the Saints have said, and believe, that a man with one wife, sealed to him by the authority of the Priesthood for time and eternity, will receive an exaltation as great and glorious, if he is faithful, as he possibly could with more than one. I want here to enter my solemn protest against this idea, for I know it is false. There is no blessing promised except upon conditions, and no blessing can be obtained by mankind except by faithful compliance with the conditions, or law, upon which the same is promised. The marriage of one woman to a man for time and eternity by the sealing power, according to the law of God, is a fulfillment of the celestial law of marriage in part—and is good so far as it goes—and so far as a man abides these conditions of the law, he will receive his reward therefor, and this reward, or blessing, he could not obtain on any other grounds or conditions. But this is only the beginning of the law, not the whole of it. Therefore, whoever has imagined that he could obtain the fullness of the blessings pertaining to this celestial law, by complying with only a portion of its conditions, has deceived himself. He cannot do it.
It is a glorious privilege to be permitted to go into a Temple of God to be united as man and wife in the bonds of holy wedlock for time and all eternity by the Authority of the Holy Priesthood, which is the power of God, for they who are thus joined together ‘no man can put asunder,’ for God hath joined them. It is an additional privilege for that same man and wife to re-enter the Temple of God to receive another wife in like manner if they are worthy. But if he remain faithful with only the one wife, observing the conditions of so much of the law as pertains to the eternity of the marriage covenant, he will receive his reward, but the benefits, blessings and power appertaining to the second or more faithful and fuller observance of the law, he never will receive, for he cannot.” (Joseph F. Smith, JD 20:28, 30-31, 7 July 1878)
right, so what then are the differences in blessings and/or glory that a man/woman obtain in monogamy vs CPM?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Durzan wrote: November 8th, 2022, 5:46 am
Luke wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:49 am

right, so what then are the differences in blessings and/or glory that a man/woman obtain in monogamy vs CPM?
You cannot receive a Fullness of glory, that is, to be exalted or obtain Godhood, without obedience to the Principle of CPM.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

David Archuleta on Stepping Back from Mormon Church After Coming Out as Queer: 'I Feel Liberated'

I've heard that before....oh yeah...

Moses 5:33
And Cain gloried in that which he had done, saying: I am free;...

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

ransomme wrote: November 8th, 2022, 11:12 pm David Archuleta on Stepping Back from Mormon Church After Coming Out as Queer: 'I Feel Liberated'

I've heard that before....oh yeah...

Moses 5:33
And Cain gloried in that which he had done, saying: I am free;...
Nice good one