What does “Families are forever” even mean?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What does “Families are forever” even mean?

Post by David13 »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:47 am Families are Forever is just a catchy sales pitch. The sales guy got his foot in the door and it was game over.

Living in the same mansion in heaven as your parents would be hell, not heaven. If you are not sealed to them, you can still visit them as often as you want, just like here on earth. No need for a sealing. Same thing for brother and sis, you'll only want to visit them as much as you do now, so why a sealing? Do sealings include relationship counselors that force you to visit more often?

Anyone who wants to be sealed to their parents is insane. I hope you get your wish and are trapped in the same mansion forever. We'll call it Hotel California.

Sealing was originally the carrot on the end of the polygamy stick, the reward for marrying a high-ranking leader. The sealing, as initially pitched, guaranteed that that righteous high leader would automatically pull you into the Celestial Kingdom. This incentive helped entice members into polygamy.

This is the way I see it.

A marketing slogan.

I think of who I do not want to see when I die.

I think I just want to rest in peace.

I never got along with my father or sister.

My mother and brother were just that. Mother and brother. Not 'best friend' or any such nonsense.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Like I always say, "wow, and I thought I had it bad".

Yes, poster above, I am sick sick sick.

So, like I said, rest in peace, NOT socialize.
dc

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I'm willing to share my thoughts, but that is all they are. There is nothing doctrinal or scriptural about it, simply the distillation of thoughts I have had over the years.

I believe the next stage in our development towards Godhood is telepathic communication and working with others as a true single unit. It is not loss of identity, but it I think in later stages it is a complete sharing of mind. Initially I think that sharing will be much like speech but only with thought - but we will still "will" what we wish to "say". I think that must progress to a complete sharing of self - no secrets and complete, open, and more or less constant communication.

I believe that those to whom we are sealed, family, are the first with which we will develop in this way. A good family, imho, is one in which love overcomes all, that the best is wished for each individual, that forgiveness and tolerance are paramount virtues. At later stages, this relationship moves outward to close friends, and eventually to all with whom we associate. I believe this will be difficult phase as many barriers will need to be overcome for most of us.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. I believe ultimately that is what it means to become "Elohim" In a sense you could say you do lose your individuality - I think there will still be a "you" but that "you" will be so interconnected with the Elohim that you also almost become simply a nod on an infinite network of perfected minds.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

No one seems to have brought the words of Christ into the conversation yet.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Members are like the Seinfeld episode where Goerge and Jerry pitch an idea of a show to NBC, it's a show about nothing.

Sealing is the show about nothing. The word has no definition. It capitalizes on the fact that we are already eternal beings, and our love and bonds are already unbreakable and will automatically continue. All our precious relationships do not need a pretend magical approval to be precious, they already are.

Do we really think there are Nazi Sealing police patrolling the heavens telling people they have to break it up because they have been visiting their loved ones for too long, as if there is a time out to ministering. One too many hugs, sorry, 2 hugs is the limit, unless you are sealed.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Got to love a quote where Jesus says to “hate” especially your family!I base my whole understanding on that phrase!

Sealing has multiple meanings for partnerships for ministering to others and to ensure all participants in this creation get their due.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

jreuben wrote: November 7th, 2022, 1:41 am be closely associated forever
What does that even mean?

You all already are closely associated forever, no matter what. The relationship and memories are already permanent. Anyone living in a Zion type state can become one. We all become one, without being sealed. Being sealed has no definition.

I love my parents very much, but I have no need to see them every day or every week. They don't have the same thirst for the gospel as I do, so therefore I do not resonate with them. A monthly get together is more than sufficient.

True families are those you are on the same plain of development and progression with. Those who share the same vibrational resonance and frequency.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

TheDuke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:07 am Got to love a quote where Jesus says to “hate” especially your family!I base my whole understanding on that phrase!

Sealing has multiple meanings for partnerships for ministering to others and to ensure all participants in this creation get their due.
No one said base your whole understanding on that phrase, so, nice try with the strawman. Of course, we are to balance everything else he has said regarding families. Matter of fact, why don't you list for us all the times Jesus has said families are forever.

Ministering doesn't require a sealing. Ministering can be done on its own.

Try finding a definition for sealing that doesn't steal a definition of a word already in play.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

JandD6572 wrote: November 7th, 2022, 1:44 am So, is it possible to still be married to my wife in the hereafter if I did not go through the temple sealing with her? in fact, we are no longer members, we never were sealed. I just have a hard time believing God would separate us at death, just because we did not go through a temple.
The scriptures talk of sealing as being sealed up unto eternal life. They don't corroborate section 132's new definition of sealing. So I'm pretty sure you are good to go.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Given the deep hurt that families can cause each other...it is not much of a marketing slogan.

I have a distant relative that I wouldn't mind if I never saw again in this life or ever in a million years. the damage this person caused will carry on for generations.

I can conceive forgiveness only because we are separated by distance. The thought of forever is terrifying.

jreuben
captain of 100

Post by jreuben »

@Chip that is simply not true. What Shawn Henry said was satanic and false. There is neither right nor righteousness about it. End of story.

@Mamabear I have dealt with families that are sick and twisted and even abused their children, but contextually there will be differences after this life where those things will be resolved when Perdition has not been involved. I have to say, from these remarks and general sentiment, 90% of the population are simply pursuing hard and strong the natural man and have no hope in this life of obtaining the goal that we should be aspiring to. Of course most of us should have already known this already, right? Except that I see it here much more seriously and heavily than I had imagined I would

@Thinker attack him? That viewpoint is satanic - plain and simple and if you don't see that then you have not at all understood the gospel of Jesus Christ. Heaven knows that if you don't attack evil such as this then you are culpable and carry some degree of guilt yourself if you tolerate such things.

Wow - SIGH -

Well, for those who care and understand truth and light the above comments contra sealing and contra the context I set forth then there is a serious problem. To those who are saying the above and agree therewith - I wish you luck in stumbling throughout your eternities. The gospel of Jesus Christ has been entirely lost on you guys in terms of your value of it and the context of families. So horrifically sad!

Sealing is a principle that Jesus Christ himself taught and He also taught that families can in fact and should be sealed. This is the escape from hell - study some other religions in the far East and you will understand deeper context and both see and recognize the salvation that sealing brings. This sealing power and effectuation is that thing which ALL Buddhists and Hindus (and some other religions) seek in order to escape the hell of ongoing cyclic re-incarnation, but are simply confused since they don't have the fullness of truth.

I will bear my testimony as my final open act here:

I not only know that Jesus the Christ is my Savior and that Joseph Smith Jr. was His instrument in restoring the priesthood and gospel, but the presidents up to Wilford Woodruff were attempting to steer the ship with authority and proper intention. I know that the priesthood is real and I have seen powerful miracles in my life and throughout the lives of those I have touched with it in working mighty miracles beyond the understanding of current medical experts - and more. Sealing is a true and Celestial principle. This is completely certain to me through holy witness of the Holy Spirit and more.

I have a firm and unshakable testimony that families are supposed to be together forever and everyone needs to yearn and work towards this because it is the true order of Heaven. I know this without equivocation and without any doubts. I know with certainty that you ALL will come to this understanding and appreciation at some point within your eternities and I hope that you will find the desire to both understand and value this sooner than later. You will be part of your and our family one way or another and those that you dislike in your family will also become better and you and they will overcome the problems that have caused you such grief in this probationary cycle.

I also know that you and I will know each other after this life, but likely already do, as one massive family of the Elohim and our Father Adam. Salvation and unity comes through the power and administration of Jesus Christ and His, and our, father Adam. May God in Heaven bless you to help you to desire to open your eyes and to seek truth if you are in the condition of refusing to seek it presently.

It is my prayer that none of you are already children of Perdition and here for nefarious reasons. This is a very deep hole that I need not share insights on, but I see signs that there are tremendously evil things going on here and in every corner of the internet that is within public view. If any of you are already actually children of Perdition then I wish you speedy resolution to mortality so that you may be bound and halted from further damning and destroying more of Father's children. May the richest curses of Father be upon you who bear this evil - read well the lessons of the Book of Mormon to those such as you.

I say this in the sacred and precious name of my Savior and Brother, Jesus the Christ. Amen.

If anyone wishes to communicate with me for some reason or another at some point, please feel free to private message me and I will get alerted as to your attempt to do so.

Bye.
Last edited by jreuben on November 7th, 2022, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

ransomme wrote: November 7th, 2022, 3:18 am Truthfully I don't get the purpose of sealing earthly bonds.
1) Things in mortality are just too chaotic
2) We are acting under a veil where our minds are literally darkened.
3) Therefore, often to me it equates to a practice that lacks informed consent
4) Mortality is just an insanely brief moment of existence/eternity. Too brief to base the rest of eternity on it.

Does that make sense?
That actually makes perfect sense and I hadn't thought of it from an informed consent standpoint. How irresponsible to lock in and make an eternal decision when in a veiled state with no understanding of anything eternal.

It would be analogous to a 2 yr old choosing a tattoo.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

jreuben wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:33 am Sealing is a principle that Jesus Christ himself taught
Outside of Section 132, show us where the Savior taught this. Use the scriptures that Joseph Smith had canonized, the BoM, the 1835 and 1844 editions of the D&C and point out where this is taught.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

jreuben wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:33 am @Chip that is simply not true. What Shawn Henry said was satanic and false. There is neither right nor righteousness about it. End of story.

@Mamabear I have dealt with families that are sick and twisted and even abused their children, but contextually there will be differences after this life where those things will be resolved when Perdition has not been involved. I have to say, from these remarks and general sentiment, 90% of the population are simply pursuing hard and strong the natural man and have no hope in this life of obtaining the goal that we should be aspiring to. Of course most of us should have already known this already, right? Except that I see it here much more seriously and heavily than I had imagined I would

@Thinker attack him? That viewpoint is satanic - plain and simple and if you don't see that then you have not at all understood the gospel of Jesus Christ. Heaven knows that if you don't attack evil such as this then you are culpable and carry some degree of guilt yourself if you tolerate such things.

Wow - SIGH -

Well, for those who care and understand truth and light the above comments contra sealing and contra the context I set forth then there is a serious problem. To those who are saying the above and agree therewith - I wish you luck in stumbling throughout your eternities. The gospel of Jesus Christ has been entirely lost on you guys in terms of your value of it and the context of families. So horrifically sad!

Sealing is a principle that Jesus Christ himself taught and He also taught that families can in fact and should be sealed. This is the escape from hell - study some other religions in the far East and you will understand deeper context and both see and recognize the salvation that sealing brings. This sealing power and effectuation is that thing which ALL Buddhists and Hindus (and some other religions) seek in order to escape the hell of ongoing cyclic re-incarnation, but are simply confused since they don't have the fullness of truth.

I not only know that Jesus the Christ is my Savior and that Joseph Smith Jr. was His instrument in restoring the priesthood and gospel, but the presidents up to Wilford Woodruff were attempting to steer the ship with authority and proper intention. I know that the priesthood is real and I have seen powerful miracles in my life and throughout the lives of those I have touched with it in working mighty miracles beyond the understanding of current medical experts - and more. Sealing is a true and Celestial principle. This is completely certain to me through holy witness of the Holy Spirit and more.

I have a firm and unshakable testimony that families are supposed to be together forever and everyone needs to yearn and work towards this because it is the true order of Heaven. I know this without equivocation and without any doubts. I know with certainty that you ALL will come to this understanding and appreciation at some point within your eternities and I hope that you will find the desire to both understand and value this sooner than later. You will be part of your and our family one way or another and those that you dislike in your family will also become better and you and they will overcome the problems that have caused you such grief in this probationary cycle.

I also know that you and I will know each other after this life, but likely already do, as one massive family of the Elohim and our Father Adam. Salvation and unity comes through the power and administration of Jesus Christ and His, and our, father Adam. May God in Heaven bless you to help you to desire to open your eyes and to seek truth if you are in the condition of refusing to seek it presently.

It is my prayer that none of you are already children of Perdition and here for nefarious reasons. This is a very deep hole that I need not share insights on, but I see signs that there are tremendously evil things going on here and in every corner of the internet that is within public view. If any of you are already actually children of Perdition then I wish you speedy resolution to mortality so that you may be bound and halted from further damning and destroying more of Father's children. May the richest curses of Father be upon you who bear this evil - read well the lessons of the Book of Mormon to those such as you.

I say this in the sacred and precious name of my Savior and Brother, Jesus the Christ. Amen.

If anyone wishes to communicate with me for some reason or another at some point, please feel free to private message me and I will get alerted as to your attempt to do so.

Bye.

Jreuben,

Why would Christ tell the Pharisees that none are married nor given in marriage in Heaven, but they are as angels? Mormonism has a lot of innovations that are not backed by scripture. These innovations even came AFTER the Book of Mormon. I have doubts these days, given the schlock-brained performance of our PSR's.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:46 am
jreuben wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:33 am Sealing is a principle that Jesus Christ himself taught
Outside of Section 132, show us where the Savior taught this. Use the scriptures that Joseph Smith had canonized, the BoM, the 1835 and 1844 editions of the D&C and point out where this is taught.
Already your premise is faulty as you’re simply writing off revelations you don’t like.

It’s like a Christian writing off the Book of Mormon and asking you or I where God ever spoke about Lehi or Nephi. It’s practically a trap.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Artaxerxes wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:48 am You should probably study what Joseph actually said, because it wasn't any of that.
I have been familiar with what he has said for decades, but never let a JS quote take you away from the revealed word of God.

One of JS's purposes in Nauvoo was to test the saints to see if they were being obedient to what was already revealed. He was fulfilling D&C 98:12 which reads:

"For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith."

The line upon line revelation process was used by God through Joseph to test the saints in Nauvoo to see if they would be faithful to what was already revealed and the saints failed this test, never fully recognizing that the Nauvoo doctrines contradicted the Kirtland doctrines and the scriptures.

Much of what Joseph said in Nauvoo was meant to be a test to the saints.

Even JS needs to have everything he says vetted against the revealed word of God.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:58 am Already your premise is faulty as you’re simply writing off revelations you don’t like.

It’s like a Christian writing off the Book of Mormon and asking you or I where God ever spoke about Lehi or Nephi. It’s practically a trap.
Bull Crap Luke!!! You are full of you know what and you know it. And we have been over this before.

The word of God is established in the mouth of two or three witnesses. The BoM has two or three witnesses.

Section 132 was not established in the mouth of two or three witnesses. It has zero witnesses.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:04 am
Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:58 am Already your premise is faulty as you’re simply writing off revelations you don’t like.

Bull Crap Luke!!! You are full of you know what and you know it. And we have been over this before.

The word of God is established in the mouth of two or three witnesses. The BoM has two or three witnesses.

Section 132 was not established in the mouth of two or three witnesses. It has zero witnesses.
You have a seriously faulty view of what constitutes truth. Truth is truth, even if no-one believes it.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:59 am
Artaxerxes wrote: November 7th, 2022, 6:48 am You should probably study what Joseph actually said, because it wasn't any of that.
I have been familiar with what he has said for decades, but never let a JS quote take you away from the revealed word of God.

One of JS's purposes in Nauvoo was to test the saints to see if they were being obedient to what was already revealed. He was fulfilling D&C 98:12 which reads:

"For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith."

The line upon line revelation process was used by God through Joseph to test the saints in Nauvoo to see if they would be faithful to what was already revealed and the saints failed this test, never fully recognizing that the Nauvoo doctrines contradicted the Kirtland doctrines and the scriptures.

Much of what Joseph said in Nauvoo was meant to be a test to the saints.

Even JS needs to have everything he says vetted against the revealed word of God.
So your view of line upon line is that Joseph would lie to people? He was "testing" them by preaching false doctrine?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Chip wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:50 am
jreuben wrote: November 7th, 2022, 10:33 am @Chip that is simply not true. What Shawn Henry said was satanic and false. There is neither right nor righteousness about it. End of story.

Wow - SIGH -

Bye.

Jreuben,

Why would Christ tell the Pharisees that none are married nor given in marriage in Heaven, but they are as angels? Mormonism has a lot of innovations that are not backed by scripture. These innovations even came AFTER the Book of Mormon. I have doubts these days, given the schlock-brained performance of our PSR's.
If my wife and I became one flesh.... why would God separate what He joined together?

Mathew
Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:13 am You have a seriously faulty view of what constitutes truth. Truth is truth, even if no-one believes it.
We are talking about what is the word of God and how do we know it is the word of God. If you want truth, go read books about tax law.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Shawn Henry wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:52 am
Luke wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:13 am You have a seriously faulty view of what constitutes truth. Truth is truth, even if no-one believes it.
We are talking about what is the word of God and how do we know it is the word of God. If you want truth, go read books about tax law.
D&C 84
45 For the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

nightlight wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:37 am

Wow - SIGH -

Bye.

Jreuben,

If my wife and I became one flesh.... why would God separate what He joined together?

Mathew
Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder

That applies to mortality, certainly, but how do you reconcile what Christ said about Heaven?

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Pazooka wrote: November 7th, 2022, 7:40 am If Jesus becomes our Father, in the covenant, I’ve always thought it was possible that the unbroken chain of righteous parents to children that will be finalized at the end of this world would be this:

Through joint-heirship with Christ, the earth parents are empowered to act, in council, with their children in the establishment of the children’s own families. I think a world such as ours requires the involvement of the “elohim” and that we don’t currently grasp what that means. I think there’s a place, in the eternities, for the help our parents can give us - and if they are not worthy, the next in line will have that right.

At the same time, I think I recall Joseph Smith did not have his children sealed to him - which could mean nothing. But the questions are still there.
I don't think that the familial choices made in a fallen probationary state will dictate the structure of God's family in the eternities.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Chip wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:01 pm
nightlight wrote: November 7th, 2022, 11:37 am

Wow - SIGH -

Bye.

Jreuben,

Mathew

That applies to mortality, certainly, but how do you reconcile what Christ said about Heaven?
That one sentence in the bible doesn't cover all eventualities imo

Who is he talking to when he said that?

What resurrection is he talking about?(there's more than one, and the majority of humans will not be in the first resurrection)

If marriage is just a thing for a fallen/mortal world....why were Adam and Eve married before the fall?

Going deeper....

If gender is a thing deeper than the flesh ( it is) than marriage is deeper than mortality.

Regardless, when I'm resurrected... I'm going to spend my days and nights with the person whom God made my flesh one with.

Call it being married or living hand in hand