Prophets make you smarter

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Prophets make you smarter

Post by Mamabear »

Huh?

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... infallible

“Is anyone smart enough to maneuver this world alone? Sister Dew asked. “Without help from those who are smarter, the future looks downright scary. So in a world filled with billions of conflicting voices, where do we turn for the smartest help?”
How about Christ? You’re idolizing and they aren’t smart. False.

“This is why prophets make us smarter than any other leaders or influencers on earth. Prophets help us see dangers we cannot yet see and opportunities we can’t even imagine,” Sister Dew explained.”
Dangers? What about the covid and the jabby? False.

“Third, “do you know 15 smarter men who care about you more and who have purer motives?”
What’s in all of this for Apostles? “Clearly it’s not money or popularity,” Sister Dew said. Too often they are mocked for teaching truth.”
Not about money or popularity? False.

“Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said. “They are pressured to change the Lord’s doctrine to make it more palatable, but the doctrine doesn’t belong to them and is not theirs to change.”
They are pressured and do cave to pressure and change things. False.

“Sister Dew promised that “no leaders on earth are more honest with you than prophets are. And no leaders care more about you and your future.”
Honest??!!!! False.

Oh so many laughable, lying words.
It’s as if Cornpop is giving a speech.

FreedomJess
captain of 100

Re: Prophets make you smarter

Post by FreedomJess »

Wow. They are really in panic mode. Sending the Big Gun, aka Sheri Dew, out to pound the. “Prophets are all that matter” narrative down our throats.
Because if we question the prophet, the whole thing starts to crumble. We’ve built an entire generation’s testimony on that one narrative.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Oh man, that is one of the absolute worst things I've ever read. It was like O'Biden was talking - as believable and trustworthy as he is. I mean, every single thing she said was wrong and a lie. This prophet/PSR worship has GOT to stop.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Lmao

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Incessantly in their gushing of “prophets” they quote Amos 3:7; I’ve seen this in almost every talk.

What's the contextualized understanding of Amos? Well lo and behold it's the impending destruction upon wicked Israel. The prophets were the ones who were proclaiming the message (“secret”) of the Lord’s impending judgments and woes upon Israel; not the ones giving calcifying and calming messages and reassurances of peace and prosperity.

Ancalagon
captain of 50

Post by Ancalagon »

This is so cringe I wouldn't have believed it without reading the article. You sure the Babylon Bee isn't pulling a PUNK'D situation on us? I like her answer on the Infallibility question. She's like "no....but, yes"
Sheri Baggins.jpg
Sheri Baggins.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Edited to add image
Last edited by Ancalagon on November 4th, 2022, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Way beyond cringe-worthy.

I'd like to say unbelievable, but no, I can believe it.

I don't know if Babylon Bee could come up with anything so preposterous.
dc

Ancalagon
captain of 50

Post by Ancalagon »

David13 wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:29 pm Way beyond cringe-worthy.

I'd like to say unbelievable, but no, I can believe it.

I don't know if Babylon Bee could come up with anything so preposterous.
dc
I'd bet their parody would make more sense, sadly

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

“Without help from those who are smarter, the future looks downright scary. So in a world filled with billions of conflicting voices, where do we turn for the smartest help?”

Further analysis:
You’re too dumb. You need us cuz we’re smarter than you’ll ever be.
Also Sheri is “downright scary” with her cult mentality and the future is not scary at all.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Their desperation is showing.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

"When we follow the prophet, we are actually following and placing our trust in Jesus Christ...." Wow

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Ha, ha, ha. She is right, the world is complicated and confusing and I am probably a lousy, no good idiot, but I can't really recall anything recently where the PSR has stated anything that clears up any of that confusion or simplifies the issues.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

...oops take that back. I heard a third hand account of Elder Holland speaking in an unrecorded, youth only meeting where he told the girls to not be ashamed of their god given femininity.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

Ancalagon wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:26 pm This is so cringe I wouldn't have believed it without reading the article. You sure the Babylon Bee isn't pulling a PUNK'D situation on us? I like her answer on the Infallibility question. She's like "no....but, yes"
It seems only dead prophets are fallible. The living one never is.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

All things must fail.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Chip wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 1:12 pm All things must fail.
8 Charity never faileth

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Mamabear wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:45 am “Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said. “They are pressured to change the Lord’s doctrine to make it more palatable, but the doctrine doesn’t belong to them and is not theirs to change.”
What unpopular truths are they pushing these days? Ever since the Prop 9 debacle they've been on the retreat from unpopular stances ever since. They reversed their 2015 policy about children with LGBT parents (which was ill-advised from the start). Hinckley got duped with forged manuscripts. There are reports of Monson having serious dementia for the last few years of his life.

These guys aren't any smarter than anyone else. Besides, prophets aren't about being smarter, they're about a connection to heaven and a calling.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Mamabear wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:45 am Huh?

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... infallible

“Is anyone smart enough to maneuver this world alone? Sister Dew asked. “Without help from those who are smarter, the future looks downright scary. So in a world filled with billions of conflicting voices, where do we turn for the smartest help?”
How about Christ? You’re idolizing and they aren’t smart. False.

“This is why prophets make us smarter than any other leaders or influencers on earth. Prophets help us see dangers we cannot yet see and opportunities we can’t even imagine,” Sister Dew explained.”
Dangers? What about the covid and the jabby? False.

“Third, “do you know 15 smarter men who care about you more and who have purer motives?”
What’s in all of this for Apostles? “Clearly it’s not money or popularity,” Sister Dew said. Too often they are mocked for teaching truth.”
Not about money or popularity? False.

“Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said. “They are pressured to change the Lord’s doctrine to make it more palatable, but the doctrine doesn’t belong to them and is not theirs to change.”

“Sister Dew promised that “no leaders on earth are more honest with you than prophets are. And no leaders care more about you and your future.”
Honest??!!!! False.

Oh so many laughable, lying words.
It’s as if Cornpop is giving a speech.
Wow. This just might take the cake....such worldly and shallow views. It's getting bad.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

"Follow the prophet" is one of the worst things being promoted in the Church.

Destroyer
captain of 100

Post by Destroyer »

Alexander wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:02 pm Incessantly in their gushing of “prophets” they quote Amos 3:7; I’ve seen this in almost every talk.

What's the contextualized understanding of Amos? Well lo and behold it's the impending destruction upon wicked Israel. The prophets were the ones who were proclaiming the message (“secret”) of the Lord’s impending judgments and woes upon Israel; not the ones giving calcifying and calming messages and reassurances of peace and prosperity.
Context is everything. She even took a snippet of Helaman out of context to illustrate her point, when if she had bothered to review that snippet in the context of the rest of the chapter, the book of Helaman, or even the Book of Mormon, the actual text would condemn today's leadership.

"Samuel the Lamanite rebuked the Nephites for following “foolish and blind guides” (Helaman 13:25-29). “My dear friends, to whom do you listen? Where does the living prophet rank in the list of those you turn to for advice? How many blind guides, whose myopic vision of life is no better than yours, are you following on podcasts and TikTok? Don’t let blind guides obscure your vision of seers, who see around corners,” Sister Dew said." I love that she threw President Nelson's "word of the day" in there for good measure.

Helaman 13

26 Behold ye are worse than they; for as the Lord liveth, if a prophet come among you and declareth unto you the word of the Lord, which testifieth of your sins and iniquities, ye are angry with him, and cast him out and seek all manner of ways to destroy him; yea, you will say that he is a false prophet, and that he is a sinner, and of the devil, because he testifieth that your deeds are evil.

27 But behold, if a man shall come among you and shall say: Do this, and there is no iniquity; do that and ye shall not suffer; yea, he will say: Walk after the pride of your own hearts; yea, walk after the pride of your eyes, and do whatsoever your heart desireth—and if a man shall come among you and say this, ye will receive him, and say that he is a prophet.

28 Yea, ye will lift him up, and ye will give unto him of your substance; ye will give unto him of your gold, and of your silver, and ye will clothe him with costly apparel; and because he speaketh flattering words unto you, and he saith that all is well, then ye will not find fault with him.

29 O ye wicked and ye perverse generation; ye hardened and ye stiffnecked people, how long will ye suppose that the Lord will suffer you? Yea, how long will ye suffer yourselves to be led by foolish and blind guides? Yea, how long will ye choose darkness rather than light?

Yes, Sheri, the Nephites followed the foolish and blind guides that were made great in the eyes of men, the guides wearing costly apparel and spewing the tired line, "All is well in Zion! Ye, Zion prospereth!" While the devil was cheating their souls and leading them down to Hell. They rejected the guy preaching the actual Gospel. Just like the Jews did to Jesus- I wonder if their mantra was "follow the High Priest"?

I can't remember the last time the prophet called out specific sins that plague this generation. If they speak against sin, it's 'sin' in general.

Why do all the GA's try to convince us of how much they love and care about us? I could care less that the 15 "love" me. How can they feel anything genuine for me when to them I'm just a statistic on just another report? I remember having a president of the 70 visit my mission. Without asking any questions about any missionaries or their experiences, he told us that we weren't baptizing enough and that we were lazy. That was the extent of his revelation. No questions about whether the missionaries were working hard or how the Gospel was received, just a summary judgment of 'lazy' after reviewing our key indicators. There was no love.

I must admit I never cared for Sheri Dew. I've found her talks and writings to be disingenuous. It makes me sick when I hear her quoted as an authority on marriage and motherhood. This article is downright dishonest.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

creator wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 3:52 pm "Follow the prophet" is one of the worst things being promoted in the Church.
It’s also a horrible culty phrase turned into song and I shudder to think back on when my children sang it.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Smarter? All I can say is Sheri Dew is trying to make us dumber.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Mamabear wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:45 am “Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said. “They are pressured to change the Lord’s doctrine to make it more palatable, but the doctrine doesn’t belong to them and is not theirs to change.”
What?! What?! Whatttttttttt????!!!!

Surely she knows better than to say something so absurdly ridiculous.

Not only have the leaders of the LDS Church caved in on numerous doctrines, they are RENOWNED for doing so.

Their modus operandi has consistently consisted in making Church doctrine more palatable to Babylon.

Utterly ridiculous.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Mamabear wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:45 am“Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said.
So, either the LDS Church has no actual Apostles or they epically failed at their divine mandate during the past few years.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

creator wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 5:52 pm
Mamabear wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:45 am“Apostles are under divine mandate to teach truth, even when truth is unpopular,” Sister Dew said.
So, either the LDS Church has no actual Apostles or they epically failed at their divine mandate during the past few years.
Or both.