Covenant Path Finally Explained 🤷🏼‍♂️

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Covenant Path Finally Explained 🤷🏼‍♂️

Post by EmmaLee »

CuriousThinker wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:42 pm
EmmaLee wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:26 pm Nobody has to take my word for it - just go to this link and buy as many garments as you want - nowhere does it ask, or check for, a temple recommend -

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/u ... 37160336.c
I don't know why, but it will not show any garments until I put in my account info. Then garments show up. I cannot get any garments without an account and the account is linked to my recommend. I don't doubt you. I just can't.
When you click "Sign in", it just asks for a username and a password. Is that what it shows when you go to sign in?

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:23 pm
CuriousThinker wrote: October 30th, 2022, 1:47 pm
EmmaLee wrote: October 30th, 2022, 1:32 pm
mtmom wrote: October 30th, 2022, 1:29 pm

They have always asked me for my temple recommend when I bought garments. If I didn't have it with me, their computer could tell them if my temple recommend was still valid. No current temple recommend, no garments. At least in Utah. And they really frown on you making your own.

Buy them online from the distribution center - no recommend needed. We don't have a garment store within hundreds of miles of us, so we have always had to order them online - never once have we needed a recommend to do so. But even if you have a store right next door, you can still buy them online - again, no recommend needed.
It required in the store and online for me to have a temple recommend.
Is it possible that they just asked for the recommend so they could get your membership number from it? Does the online form ask for the membership number from your recommend only, or does it ask for the expiration date? I only had to supply the number, which is on my old recommends, and can also be accessed through the ward clerk.
My account is tied to my recommend. I can't get them without logging in. Temple dresses, shoes, socks appear, but no garments or temple clothes without signing in. I figured that was how they verify a recommend since they have my records. In store I can't buy without showing the clerk.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

EmmaLee wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:43 pm
EmmaLee wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:26 pm Nobody has to take my word for it - just go to this link and buy as many garments as you want - nowhere does it ask, or check for, a temple recommend -

I don't know why, but it will not show any garments until I put in my account info. Then garments show up. I cannot get any garments without an account and the account is linked to my recommend. I don't doubt you. I just can't.
When you click "Sign in", it just asks for a username and a password. Is that what it shows when you go to sign in?
It won't show anything ceremonial or garments without signing in. I thought the recommend was tied to my account. I guess it isn't then, as you say you don't need it. Why do they ask in the stores then? Weird 🤔

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

CuriousThinker wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:47 pm
EmmaLee wrote: October 30th, 2022, 2:43 pm

It won't show anything ceremonial or garments without signing in. I thought the recommend was tied to my account. I guess it isn't then, as you say you don't need it. Why do they ask in the stores then? Weird 🤔

Yeah, I don't know why they ask in the stores - it's wrong of them to do so, IMO, because as Lizzy said, the church does not ask people to stop wearing garments simply because they currently do not have a recommend (they only ask you to remove them if you've been ex'd). So my guess is it's just Phariseeism, for lack of a better word. Your membership number is all they should ever ask for. And online, it's just your username and password.

One of my sister's went inactive many many years ago, but she still believed the gospel, etc. She didn't have a recommend for decades, but continued to wear the garments till the day she died - she had no problem buying them over the years.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

FrankOne wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:08 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 29th, 2022, 10:58 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 29th, 2022, 10:56 pm makes sense like a sack of hammers in a toilet.

does anyone want to know the plan of salvation? I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.

here it is from the first point to the end point.
----------------------

55 And the Lord spake unto Adam, saying: Inasmuch as thy children are conceived in sin, even so when they begin to grow up, sin conceiveth in their hearts, and they taste the bitter, that they may know to prize the good.

56 And it is given unto them to know good from evil; wherefore they are agents unto themselves, and I have given unto you another law and commandment.

57 Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time.

58 Therefore I give unto you a commandment, to teach these things freely unto your children, saying:

59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;

60 For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

61 Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment.

62 And now, behold, I say unto you: This is the plan of salvation unto all men, through the blood of mine Only Begotten, who shall come in the meridian of time.

===============

do you want to know? nah, you pretend to want to know. You lie to yourself. You look outside you. You think some outside ritual or outside 'act'will do it for you. You don't want to change 'you'. You like 'you' . You like your preferences and judgments. You like this place. You like to be right. You think some external force will save you. You don't want to understand that God is INSIDE you .
IT'S ALL INSIDE YOU.

you take offense at the caps. why? because you need a reason to not listen. why? because you want to be you. You are an avatar.

ok. off rant box and back to your hospitable nobody. The one you like because he does not offend your fragile sensibilities.
Why do you feel the need to capitalize things? Is the word of God not powerful enough without your emphasis?

the caps? to arouse your fragile response . To catch fish. . Or...did you want an honest reply?
Fragile in what way? How would you discern such a thing? And why would I want anything other than an honest reply?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

LDS Watchman wrote: October 29th, 2022, 9:52 am
David13 wrote: October 29th, 2022, 9:45 am
LDS Watchman wrote: October 29th, 2022, 7:57 am
cab wrote: October 29th, 2022, 7:34 am

Yeah…. I call it the “church path”. In my opinion, this certainly can and may and ought to lead to Nephi’s strait and narrow path, but in no way does it guarantee it….

I fear that this teaching leads to a complacency in thinking that staying within the mainstream of the church and trying “our best” is enough…. Not so…. We MUST learn to rely wholly on Christ and the true conversion he offers (2 Nephi 31:19, Moroni 6:4).
I share your concerns. However, I believe that Nephi's straight and narrow path can only be obtained through the ordinances that the Lord only offers through his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And I likewise believe that the covenants one makes when one receives these ordinances include staying within the mainstream church.

It's not an either or. The ordinances themselves and simply going through the motions within the Lord's church obviously isn't going to cut it, but the Lord's church is still a critical and essential part of the equation.

And the Corporation says so. So it must be true.

Maybe it would help to use the term Christ's Covenant Path.

And, the Corporate Covenant Path.

Take your pick.
dc
Jesus Christ said so.

He's the one who restored his church, gave it the authority to administer his ordinances and proclaim his everlasting gospel to the ends of the earth, and declared it to be his one and only true church upon the face of the whole earth.

The shortcomings of imperfect people within the church, including its leaders, doesn't change this.

And we know this because the corporation has said so. So we must believe it without question. Or our salvation is lost.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:49 am
mtpop wrote: October 29th, 2022, 3:27 pm The Covenant Path requires us to keep a current temple recommend. And by keeping a current recommend we can buy our temple garments to wear. No current recommend, no buying garments. Wherefore by paying tithing we can buy our way into heaven!
You can buy garments without a temple recommend.

I should try. I am wondering if this is true.

I don't believe it is, because every time I went to order online, before I could even LOOK at garments, I had to put in my Temple recommend number, I think. But yes, it could have just been my name and password.

Yes, they do ask in the stores. For the recommend. So ...
dc

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

I visited Rexburg ID for the last two years, and I must say, the last time I visited Deseret Book (this year), they did not ask me for my recommend, whereas two years ago they did.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

endlessismyname wrote: October 30th, 2022, 3:09 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 29th, 2022, 11:08 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 29th, 2022, 10:58 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 29th, 2022, 10:56 pm makes sense like a sack of hammers in a toilet.

does anyone want to know the plan of salvation? I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.

here it is from the first point to the end point.
----------------------

55 And the Lord spake unto Adam, saying: Inasmuch as thy children are conceived in sin, even so when they begin to grow up, sin conceiveth in their hearts, and they taste the bitter, that they may know to prize the good.

56 And it is given unto them to know good from evil; wherefore they are agents unto themselves, and I have given unto you another law and commandment.

57 Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time.

58 Therefore I give unto you a commandment, to teach these things freely unto your children, saying:

59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;

60 For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

61 Therefore it is given to abide in you; the record of heaven; the Comforter; the peaceable things of immortal glory; the truth of all things; that which quickeneth all things, which maketh alive all things; that which knoweth all things, and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment.

62 And now, behold, I say unto you: This is the plan of salvation unto all men, through the blood of mine Only Begotten, who shall come in the meridian of time.

===============

do you want to know? nah, you pretend to want to know. You lie to yourself. You look outside you. You think some outside ritual or outside 'act'will do it for you. You don't want to change 'you'. You like 'you' . You like your preferences and judgments. You like this place. You like to be right. You think some external force will save you. You don't want to understand that God is INSIDE you .
IT'S ALL INSIDE YOU.

you take offense at the caps. why? because you need a reason to not listen. why? because you want to be you. You are an avatar.

ok. off rant box and back to your hospitable nobody. The one you like because he does not offend your fragile sensibilities.
Why do you feel the need to capitalize things? Is the word of God not powerful enough without your emphasis?

the caps? to arouse your fragile response . To catch fish. . Or...did you want an honest reply?
Fragile in what way? How would you discern such a thing? And why would I want anything other than an honest reply?
ok...

My post with the caps was due to my own weakness in being frustrated with the general trend of most being focused on external subjects. The idea of salvation for most is "doing the right things". Anyone can do the right things. Salvation is not relative to acting good. Salvation is about changing the inner self . When the inner self is changed, the outward actions follow as a result of who we are.

I used the word Avatar because anyone can "do good" and look good. Life for most is a complete pretense.

My using caps has nothing to do with the power of Gods word. I used caps because I chose to be dramatic. I imagine that would be obvious.

I was unsure of your intent when you said "Avatars, indeed". Could I ask you to clarify what you meant?

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

David13 wrote: October 30th, 2022, 5:35 pm
LDS Watchman wrote: October 29th, 2022, 9:52 am
David13 wrote: October 29th, 2022, 9:45 am
LDS Watchman wrote: October 29th, 2022, 7:57 am

I share your concerns. However, I believe that Nephi's straight and narrow path can only be obtained through the ordinances that the Lord only offers through his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And I likewise believe that the covenants one makes when one receives these ordinances include staying within the mainstream church.

It's not an either or. The ordinances themselves and simply going through the motions within the Lord's church obviously isn't going to cut it, but the Lord's church is still a critical and essential part of the equation.

And the Corporation says so. So it must be true.

Maybe it would help to use the term Christ's Covenant Path.

And, the Corporate Covenant Path.

Take your pick.
dc
Jesus Christ said so.

He's the one who restored his church, gave it the authority to administer his ordinances and proclaim his everlasting gospel to the ends of the earth, and declared it to be his one and only true church upon the face of the whole earth.

The shortcomings of imperfect people within the church, including its leaders, doesn't change this.

And we know this because the corporation has said so. So we must believe it without question. Or our salvation is lost.
dc
Jesus said so. Read the D&C and teachings of Joseph Smith.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

cab wrote: October 29th, 2022, 7:02 am From the Church website we get a clear explanation of what "The Covenant Path" means.

Quoted from https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ins ... e?lang=eng
"So what does “covenant path” mean? It means that our promises, paired with priesthood power, bring us back to Heavenly Father. The path includes:
  • Being baptized.
  • Receiving the Holy Ghost.
  • Going through the temple.
  • Being sealed in marriage.

It’s important to remember that it’s a path, not a race! Not everyone will reach these sacred milestones at the same time. Some people may reach certain milestones after this life.
As you continue your life’s journey today, remember that Jesus Christ is walking with you. He loves you! We do not walk this path alone."
cp.jpg

Notice the complete absence of Jesus on the large graphic and how the focus is on how we must RELY on the keeping of "our promises" and our "priesthood power" in doing outward ordinances to "bring us back to Heavenly Father". Jesus is only mentioned once at the very end of the page and is relegated to something like a cheerleader on the sidelines...

I can now unequivocally state that the "covenant path" is clearly not the same as the "strait and narrow path" described by Nephi in 2 Nephi 31-33 and 1 Nephi 8, where "there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved" than by "relying wholly upon the merits of him [Jesus] who is mighty to save".
Compare and contrast with Christ centered at march8miracle.org.

Old world spelling too.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

mtpop, yeah, about that: So my kid and his wife were sealed, but don't currently have a recommend. Their garments are in tatters. They lost some ground with the Church during covid--and they have no idea that we are struggling with the Brethren. But how many people in the coming years are going to be unable to pay their tithing, with the skyrocketing inflation? What is this about you can't buy garments if you no longer have a recommend? This is unconscionable. Are they supposed to wear rags, go back to boxers and thongs, or, I don't know, ask Mom to buy them some with her recommend?
Last edited by NowWhat on October 31st, 2022, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

NowWhat wrote: October 30th, 2022, 11:26 pm mtpop, yeah, about that: So my kid and is wife were sealed, but don't currently have a recommend. Their garments are in tatters. They lost some ground with the Church during covid--and they have no idea that we are struggling with the Brethren. But how many people in the coming years are going to be unable to pay their tithing, with the skyrocketing inflation? What is this about you can't buy garments if you no longer have a recommend? This is unconscionable. Are they supposed to wear rags, go back to boxers and thongs, or, I don't know, ask Mom to buy them some with her recommend?
Just declare yourself a full tithe payer at the end of each year, problem solved.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

mtpop wrote: October 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm
mtpop wrote: October 29th, 2022, 3:27 pm The Covenant Path requires us to keep a current temple recommend. And by keeping a current recommend we can buy our temple garments to wear. No current recommend, no buying garments. Wherefore by paying tithing we can buy our way into heaven!
Not in our area, I know of some members that went to their friends and had them buy garments for them because they were refused.
Then all they need to do is buy online.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

David13 wrote: October 30th, 2022, 5:41 pm

I should try. I am wondering if this is true.

I don't believe it is, because every time I went to order online, before I could even LOOK at garments, I had to put in my Temple recommend number, I think. But yes, it could have just been my name and password.

Yes, they do ask in the stores. For the recommend. So ...
dc
If you don't have a recommend they look you up on the system to see if you're endowed, so you would need your membership number.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

NowWhat wrote: October 30th, 2022, 11:26 pm mtpop, yeah, about that: So my kid and is wife were sealed, but don't currently have a recommend. Their garments are in tatters. They lost some ground with the Church during covid--and they have no idea that we are struggling with the Brethren. But how many people in the coming years are going to be unable to pay their tithing, with the skyrocketing inflation? What is this about you can't buy garments if you no longer have a recommend? This is unconscionable. Are they supposed to wear rags, go back to boxers and thongs, or, I don't know, ask Mom to buy them some with her recommend?

As several of us have pointed out on this thread (and I provided the link above), you do not need a recommend to buy garments online. You need your membership number, which you can get from your ward clerk, and which every member of the church has, whether they have a current recommend or not. Nowhere online does it ask for your recommend when you go to buy garments.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I always thought the genius of the new term "covenant path" was that they never defined exactly what it was. That way they could add to it, or take away from it anytime.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

They have always asked me for my temple recommend when I bought garments. If I didn't have it with me, their computer could tell them if my temple recommend was still valid. No current temple recommend, no garments. At least in Utah. And they really frown on you making your own.
I’ve bought garments several times in Spanish Fork without a recommend. They ask for a phone number, type it into the computer, and ring me up. They’re just looking to see if you’re endowed, I believe.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

BigT wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 4:37 pm
I’ve bought garments several times in Spanish Fork without a recommend. They ask for a phone number, type it into the computer, and ring me up. They’re just looking to see if you’re endowed, I believe.
Interesting. I wonder why our neighbor (older lady) could not buy them after her recommend expired. She is in good standing except might not pay a full tithing. (Living on a shoe-string.). Her friend has been buying them for her because the older lady's garments were worn out. (Scratching my head.)