Jeremiah 16:15-18

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
inho
captain of 1,000

Jeremiah 16:15-18

Post by inho »

Jeremiah 16
15 But, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers.

16 ¶ Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.

17 For mine eyes are upon all their ways: they are not hid from my face, neither is their iniquity hid from mine eyes.

18 And first I will recompense their iniquity and their sin double; because they have defiled my land, they have filled mine inheritance with the carcases of their detestable and abominable things.
Verse 15 seem to talk about the gathering of Israel, and the fishers and hunters in verse 16 are often thought to be missionaries. How does that jibe with verses 17 and 18, which are about divine revenge? It sounds that the fishers and hunters are to drive people out of hiding places so that Lord can recompense their iniquities and sins.

Ado
captain of 100

Re: Jeremiah 16:15-18

Post by Ado »

Matthew 13:24-30
The wheat and the tares grow together. Then the tares are gathered in bundles, then the wheat are gathered into the barn. The gathering of Israel includes both the wheat and the tares. It’s a good thing for the righteous, and a bad thing for the wicked. That’s how I read and understand it. I could be wrong.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Ado wrote: October 30th, 2022, 11:58 am Matthew 13:24-30
The wheat and the tares grow together. Then the tares are gathered in bundles, then the wheat are gathered into the barn. The gathering of Israel includes both the wheat and the tares. It’s a good thing for the righteous, and a bad thing for the wicked. That’s how I read and understand it. I could be wrong.
Good point. So the fishers and hunters are participating in the gathering of the tares?
Anyway, that is not missionary work, as the verse 16 is often used. Or should the missionaries shake the dust off their feet to mark the hiding places of the tares?

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

i feel like in recent years the spirit has really stoked a desire for me to learn the scriptures more, and while it sounds a bit harsh, the more i do so the more i find just how thoroughly wrong the church's interpretations of various passages actually are.

don't trust the church to teach you (speaking generally). they are seriously clueless, a lot of the time.

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

inho wrote: October 30th, 2022, 12:04 pm
Good point. So the fishers and hunters are participating in the gathering of the tares?
Anyway, that is not missionary work, as the verse 16 is often used. Or should the missionaries shake the dust off their feet to mark the hiding places of the tares?
Verse 15 sounds like the gathering of Israel as a whole, and the rest sounds like weeding out the tares. Either way, I do think that the interpretation we’ve been taught by the church of these verses isn’t totally correct. Similarly to how we’ve been taught the well known interpretation of what a marvelous work and a wonder is in Isaiah 29:14. But when read in context, those verses sound a lot like vengeance. Again, I could be wrong.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

This is about the house of Israel, not the house of Judah. Jeremiah and many other Old Testament prophets divided the 2, the house of Israel is the lost ten tribes ie. Ephraim. The lord taught with his own words that always referenced the Old Testament.

Verse 16 is a start of a paragraph, what I just said above gives 16-18 a new Armageddon meaning……

Didn’t we say we found the rest of the tribes, a lot of them in Russia, the Bear?