Walden

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Walden

Post by Original_Intent »

I don't know why, but although I have heard about it my entire life, I have avoided this book.

I am about two hours into the 14-hour audiobook, and I regret not reading/listening to it sooner. Good stuff.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Re: Walden

Post by JuneBug12000 »

A book everyone should read multiple times, young, middle aged and old. New lessons every time.

I don't agree with everything about how he chooses to live his life, or his conclusions, but still, so much truth about the simplicity of life.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

I agree, I don't agree with everything, and honestly at my age, it would be a terrible shame if I did :D But there is a valuable observation and I'm persuaded towards his perspective. Better late than never.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The world he praises seems to be the opposite of the one foisted on us. It's becoming harder and harder to live that lifestyle with technology, surveillance and interference being foisted on us and the destruction of the natural world down to the very DNA plants and animals are based on.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I have not read much from Henry David Thoreau but I highly recommend his short essay "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience".

There's a version of it on YouTube that's only 50 minutes long.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

creator wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:19 am I have not read much from Henry David Thoreau but I highly recommend his short essay "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience".

There's a version of it on YouTube that's only 50 minutes long.
I have a pamphlet/booklet version that Libertas Institute published. Very good. I think Connor considers it even superior to Bastiat's
The Law, which I think may be taking things a bit too far....but it certainly belongs in the same category.