Priesthood signs and ordinances

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
3Nephi18:25
captain of 50

Priesthood signs and ordinances

Post by 3Nephi18:25 »

I was reflecting recently on how a priesthood sign (right arm to the square) is given when someone is baptized--although I do not know how or when this was first begun (must have been during Joseph Smith's time due to it being used in the temple? because there isn't anything in scripture to verify it that I am aware of. I am also aware that many other Christians perform baptisms differently from the LDS.)

I then wondered why the sacrament prayers are not also accompanied by a priesthood sign. I have been taught partaking of the emblems of Christ's body is a renewal of baptismal covenant, which baptism has a sign. Do all ordinances have a sign associated with them? Why or why not?

I was just wondering if any others have some light, truth, and knowledge to add or help me consider this idea further.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Re: Priesthood signs and ordinances

Post by 4Joshua8 »

It occurs to me to wonder why flashing "gang signs" is necessary for any ordinance. Aren't true signs the various manifestations of the gifts of the spirit? Any man, woman, or child can learn a "gang sign", be the person for the good or for the evil. I'm not a fan of superficial signs and tokens; rather judge me by my faith in God and His son and the fruits found in my life. Measure me by my character and the desires of my heart. That's what true servants recognize as a sign of God working in one's life.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

4Joshua8 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:08 pm It occurs to me to wonder why flashing "gang signs" is necessary for any ordinance. Aren't true signs the various manifestations of the gifts of the spirit? Any man, woman, or child can learn a "gang sign", be the person for the good or for the evil. I'm not a fan of superficial signs and tokens; rather judge me by my faith in God and His son and the fruits found in my life. Measure me by my character and the desires of my heart. That's what true servants recognize as a sign of God working in one's life.
Then again, baptism itself, aside from the raised right arm, is kind of a sign and token. My point is that signs and tokens are powerless in and of themselves. Anyone can watch a YouTube video and learn all of the secrets of the temple Endowment, for example. They might even memorize the signs, tokens, and covenants. But, if the Holy Spirit has not worked a mighty change in their heart and life, all their knowledge and memorization does nothing good for them.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

3Nephi18:25 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:02 pm I was reflecting recently on how a priesthood sign (right arm to the square) is given when someone is baptized--although I do not know how or when this was first begun (must have been during Joseph Smith's time due to it being used in the temple? because there isn't anything in scripture to verify it that I am aware of. I am also aware that many other Christians perform baptisms differently from the LDS.)

I then wondered why the sacrament prayers are not also accompanied by a priesthood sign. I have been taught partaking of the emblems of Christ's body is a renewal of baptismal covenant, which baptism has a sign. Do all ordinances have a sign associated with them? Why or why not?

I was just wondering if any others have some light, truth, and knowledge to add or help me consider this idea further.
It used to be the practice in the church to raise the arm to the square when offering prayers, including the sacrament prayers. This is still seen among fundamentalists.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

The Creator shared this on the forum back in 2014

viewtopic.php?t=28950
Q: Is it true that Mormons used to bless the sacrament with their hands raised in the air?

A: It's certainly a lesser-known piece of Mormon history, but yes. The sacrament was often blessed with both hands raised to the square (e.g. reminiscent of the True Order of Prayer which was commonly performed in local church buildings and even in members' homes up until 1978).

This practice evolved into blessing the sacrament with just one arm to the square, usually the right, but sometimes the left. In those days, Bishops would often say the sacrament prayers. Opening and closing prayers were often performed the same way, with arms uplifted into the air, sometimes far above the head.

In the picture above, you'll notice Brother Peter Isaacson, an immigrant from Denmark, blessing the sacrament in the now demolished Ephraim Tabernacle. To the lower right of the photo is an enhanced image of brother Isaacson, with both hands raised. This picture is from ~1900.

In fact, praying with hands uplifted during the first century of Mormonism wasn't at all uncommon.

We can trace the 'raising' of the hands during prayer to the School of the Prophets. Joseph Smith taught the brethren to pray with their hands raised. Zebedee Coltrin gives us an intriguing glimpse from his time in the School of the Prophets with Joseph Smith:

. . . when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence . . . (School of the Prophets Minutes, October 3, 1883)

Mormons from that era also took the scriptures literally when they talked about praying with hands raised in the air:

That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High. (D&C 88:120)

This commandment is repeated later in Section 109 in the identical, wording:

That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord, that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord, that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High- (D&C 109:9)

This is repeated with only slight variation just a few verses later in Section 109, the Kirtland Temple dedicatory prayer:

And that all their salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with holy hands, uplifted to the Most High; (D&C 109:19)

In Section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord prescribes the salutation and response which is to be performed in the School of the Prophets. In the salutation and response, the teacher and the students both have 'uplifted hands to heaven' as they begin the school session:

132 And when any shall come in after him, let the teacher arise, and, with uplifted hands to heaven, yea, even directly, salute his brother or brethren with these words:
135 And he that cometh in and is faithful before me, and is a brother, or if they be brethren, they shall salute the president or teacher with uplifted hands to heaven, with this same prayer and covenant, or by saying Amen, in token of the same. (D&C 88:132,135)

By the year 1898, the raising of the hands during opening and closing prayers, and during the sacrament prayers, was becoming a stiff and almost military style salute - an almost public spectacle that drew more attention to the individual saying the prayer rather than the prayer itself.

That's when Francis Marion Lyman, an apostle for the LDS church admonished the LDS sheeplings to relax their stance. To raise their hands if they want, but to keep it pleasant and humble. His actual words were:

I have noticed the Priests kneeling on one knee; I have noticed them kneeling on both knees; I have noticed them holding up one hand, sometimes the right hand, sometimes the left, sometimes both hands, and getting into all kinds of shapes, till, if you should open your eyes, it would certainly cause merriment. I have advised for the sake of uniformity, that it is not always necessary to raise the hands to bless the bread or water. I have also advised that it is not always necessary that the hands should be raised in opening or closing a meeting. If we do raise our hands, it should be done pleasantly, nicely and not grotesquely or in a way that would provoke merriment or criticism by strangers that may come among us or by ourselves. We do not raise our hands in family prayers or in blessing the food. Many prayers are thus offered; there is nothing wrong in it that I know of. ("The Administration of the Sacrament in the Sunday School" [address at the Assembly Hall, 29 Nov. 1898], in Proceedings of the First Sunday School Convention of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Salt Lake City: Deseret Sunday School Union, 1899], 77)

From this quote, it seems as though Apostle Lyman was pitching the sale for praying without hands raised, saying that there was nothing wrong with offering prayers without hands being raised, as that's how they prayed in family prayers and blessing the food. And thus began the new trend. It would still be several decades before the practice of raising the hands during opening and closing prayers, and during the sacrament prayer, was a thing of the past.

The practice was still being referenced as late as the 1940's by Joseph Fielding Smith when referencing Bishops saying the sacrament prayer;

In some instances the Bishop stood in the pulpit with raised hands in an attitude of benediction. (Joseph Fielding Smith, Church History and Modern Revelation, 4 vols. [Salt Lake City: The Church, 1946-1949], 1:103)

Today, this practice is all but forgotten. The younger generations won't hear about it. But it's a fascinating part of LDS history that makes you wonder, if Joseph Smith established the practice as part of the restored gospel, why don't they do it today?
Attachments
F62E62BF-20EE-493E-B040-14170E05E8F8.jpeg
F62E62BF-20EE-493E-B040-14170E05E8F8.jpeg (415.61 KiB) Viewed 525 times

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

Keine ahnung
Last edited by BenMcCrea on October 25th, 2022, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

4Joshua8 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:08 pm It occurs to me to wonder why flashing "gang signs" is necessary for any ordinance. Aren't true signs the various manifestations of the gifts of the spirit? Any man, woman, or child can learn a "gang sign", be the person for the good or for the evil. I'm not a fan of superficial signs and tokens; rather judge me by my faith in God and His son and the fruits found in my life. Measure me by my character and the desires of my heart. That's what true servants recognize as a sign of God working in one's life.
"Baptism is a sign to God, to angels, and to heaven that we do the will of God, and there is no other way beneath the heavens whereby God hath ordained for man to come to Him to be saved, and enter into the Kingdom of God, except faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, and baptism for the remission of sins, and any other course is in vain; then you have the promise of the gift of the Holy Ghost.
What is the sign of the healing of the sick? The laying on of hands is the sign or way marked out by James, and the custom of the ancient Saints as ordered by the Lord, and we cannot obtain the blessings by pursuing any other course except the way marked out by the Lord. What if we should attempt to get the gift of the Holy Ghost through any other means except the signs or way which God hath appointed—would we obtain it? Certainly not; all other means would fail. The Lord says do so and so, and I will bless you.
There are certain key words and signs belonging to the Priesthood which must be observed in order to obtain the blessing. The sign of Peter was to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins, with the promise of the gift of the Holy Ghost; and in no other way is the gift of the Holy Ghost obtained." Joseph Smith

Without using correct key words and signs the blessings will never be realized. Period.
Those who think they have them any other way are deceived.

captain of 50

Pazooka wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:59 pm The Creator shared this on the forum back in 2014

viewtopic.php?t=28950
Q: Is it true that Mormons used to bless the sacrament with their hands raised in the air?

A: It's certainly a lesser-known piece of Mormon history, but yes. The sacrament was often blessed with both hands raised to the square (e.g. reminiscent of the True Order of Prayer which was commonly performed in local church buildings and even in members' homes up until 1978).

This practice evolved into blessing the sacrament with just one arm to the square, usually the right, but sometimes the left. In those days, Bishops would often say the sacrament prayers. Opening and closing prayers were often performed the same way, with arms uplifted into the air, sometimes far above the head.

In the picture above, you'll notice Brother Peter Isaacson, an immigrant from Denmark, blessing the sacrament in the now demolished Ephraim Tabernacle. To the lower right of the photo is an enhanced image of brother Isaacson, with both hands raised. This picture is from ~1900.

In fact, praying with hands uplifted during the first century of Mormonism wasn't at all uncommon.

We can trace the 'raising' of the hands during prayer to the School of the Prophets. Joseph Smith taught the brethren to pray with their hands raised. Zebedee Coltrin gives us an intriguing glimpse from his time in the School of the Prophets with Joseph Smith:

. . . when we were all together, Joseph having given instructions, and while engaged in silent prayer, kneeling, with our hands uplifted each one praying in silence . . . (School of the Prophets Minutes, October 3, 1883)

Mormons from that era also took the scriptures literally when they talked about praying with hands raised in the air:

That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High. (D&C 88:120)

This commandment is repeated later in Section 109 in the identical, wording:

That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord, that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord, that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High- (D&C 109:9)

This is repeated with only slight variation just a few verses later in Section 109, the Kirtland Temple dedicatory prayer:

And that all their salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with holy hands, uplifted to the Most High; (D&C 109:19)

In Section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord prescribes the salutation and response which is to be performed in the School of the Prophets. In the salutation and response, the teacher and the students both have 'uplifted hands to heaven' as they begin the school session:

132 And when any shall come in after him, let the teacher arise, and, with uplifted hands to heaven, yea, even directly, salute his brother or brethren with these words:
135 And he that cometh in and is faithful before me, and is a brother, or if they be brethren, they shall salute the president or teacher with uplifted hands to heaven, with this same prayer and covenant, or by saying Amen, in token of the same. (D&C 88:132,135)

By the year 1898, the raising of the hands during opening and closing prayers, and during the sacrament prayers, was becoming a stiff and almost military style salute - an almost public spectacle that drew more attention to the individual saying the prayer rather than the prayer itself.

That's when Francis Marion Lyman, an apostle for the LDS church admonished the LDS sheeplings to relax their stance. To raise their hands if they want, but to keep it pleasant and humble. His actual words were:

I have noticed the Priests kneeling on one knee; I have noticed them kneeling on both knees; I have noticed them holding up one hand, sometimes the right hand, sometimes the left, sometimes both hands, and getting into all kinds of shapes, till, if you should open your eyes, it would certainly cause merriment. I have advised for the sake of uniformity, that it is not always necessary to raise the hands to bless the bread or water. I have also advised that it is not always necessary that the hands should be raised in opening or closing a meeting. If we do raise our hands, it should be done pleasantly, nicely and not grotesquely or in a way that would provoke merriment or criticism by strangers that may come among us or by ourselves. We do not raise our hands in family prayers or in blessing the food. Many prayers are thus offered; there is nothing wrong in it that I know of. ("The Administration of the Sacrament in the Sunday School" [address at the Assembly Hall, 29 Nov. 1898], in Proceedings of the First Sunday School Convention of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Salt Lake City: Deseret Sunday School Union, 1899], 77)

From this quote, it seems as though Apostle Lyman was pitching the sale for praying without hands raised, saying that there was nothing wrong with offering prayers without hands being raised, as that's how they prayed in family prayers and blessing the food. And thus began the new trend. It would still be several decades before the practice of raising the hands during opening and closing prayers, and during the sacrament prayer, was a thing of the past.

The practice was still being referenced as late as the 1940's by Joseph Fielding Smith when referencing Bishops saying the sacrament prayer;

In some instances the Bishop stood in the pulpit with raised hands in an attitude of benediction. (Joseph Fielding Smith, Church History and Modern Revelation, 4 vols. [Salt Lake City: The Church, 1946-1949], 1:103)

Today, this practice is all but forgotten. The younger generations won't hear about it. But it's a fascinating part of LDS history that makes you wonder, if Joseph Smith established the practice as part of the restored gospel, why don't they do it today?
Thank you for this response. Interesting how two different signs for two different priesthoods or level of priesthood, i.e. priest vs. elder/high priest. I do wonder why it was all changed in 1930? It appears the image was copied from a book...does anyone know this book's title? Or what the document is?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

JLHPROF wrote: October 25th, 2022, 3:12 pm
"Baptism is a sign to God, to angels, and to heaven that we do the will of God, and there is no other way beneath the heavens whereby God hath ordained for man to come to Him to be saved, and enter into the Kingdom of God, except faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, and baptism for the remission of sins, and any other course is in vain; then you have the promise of the gift of the Holy Ghost.
What is the sign of the healing of the sick? The laying on of hands is the sign or way marked out by James, and the custom of the ancient Saints as ordered by the Lord, and we cannot obtain the blessings by pursuing any other course except the way marked out by the Lord. What if we should attempt to get the gift of the Holy Ghost through any other means except the signs or way which God hath appointed—would we obtain it? Certainly not; all other means would fail. The Lord says do so and so, and I will bless you.
There are certain key words and signs belonging to the Priesthood which must be observed in order to obtain the blessing. The sign of Peter was to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins, with the promise of the gift of the Holy Ghost; and in no other way is the gift of the Holy Ghost obtained." Joseph Smith

Without using correct key words and signs the blessings will never be realized. Period.
Is laying on of hands the only way to heal?

captain of 50

Although true there are "signs" following those who believe truly in Christ, I view "gang signs" as the counterfeits to what the Gods of Light ordained. I read a story once about a young man in a South American country becoming possessed and asking for help from the elders/missionaries. Things got quite hairy, but one incident told of a young woman who was present putting her right arm to the square at one point and a beam of light came from her shoulder and caused an impact upon the darkness that was manifesting. So, I am thinking there is more to understand regarding the use of priesthood signs than appears on the surface. I do wonder what things look like spiritually when true priesthood signs are used during an ordinance by one with true authority from Christ to do so. Given that there is some evidence priesthood signs were in use nearly 100 years ago to bless the sacrament, I wonder if we will see a restoration of such.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

nightlight wrote: October 26th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Obviously not. We have examples of both the Savior and Joseph using alternate methods.
But I would say laying on of hands is the only way to heal by priesthood authority, just as immersion is the only authorized way to baptize. It's the sign of priesthood authority.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

3Nephi18:25 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 2:02 pm I was reflecting recently on how a priesthood sign (right arm to the square) is given when someone is baptized--although I do not know how or when this was first begun (must have been during Joseph Smith's time due to it being used in the temple? because there isn't anything in scripture to verify it that I am aware of. I am also aware that many other Christians perform baptisms differently from the LDS.)

Maybe the right-arm-to-the-square thing being present in baptisms and not in sacrament meeting could be because baptism is a saving ordinance but the sacrament is not?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I have seen Christians of other sects use the right arm to square for many things from baptisms to healing the sick. It's more common than you think, especially if one never steps outside their little Utah/ Idaho bubble.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

blitzinstripes wrote: October 26th, 2022, 6:44 pm I have seen Christians of other sects use the right arm to square for many things from baptisms to healing the sick. It's more common than you think, especially if one never steps outside their little Utah/ Idaho bubble.
In court too

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

JLHPROF wrote: October 26th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Obviously not. We have examples of both the Savior and Joseph using alternate methods.
But I would say laying on of hands is the only way to heal by priesthood authority, just as immersion is the only authorized way to baptize. It's the sign of priesthood authority.
Is there a time when healing by priesthood authority would be the only authorized way to heal? As opposed to, say, faith or a gift of the Spirit?

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: October 26th, 2022, 10:01 pm

Is there a time when healing by priesthood authority would be the only authorized way to heal? As opposed to, say, faith or a gift of the Spirit?
Good question.
I'll give the last word to Joseph.

"Said if he had common sympathies, would rejoice that the sick could be heal’d"

"Respecting the female laying on hands, he further remark’d, there could be no devil in it if God gave his sanction by healing— that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on the sick than in wetting the face with water— that it is no sin for any body to do it that has faith, or if the sick has faith to be heal’d by the administration."

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

This belief is a microcosm of how LDS error in doctrine.

16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.

17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.