I think you should consider this before replying to a few in this forum - "Before you argue with someone,.....

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

petercnx
captain of 10

Re: I think you should consider this before replying to a few in this forum - "Before you argue with someone,.....

Post by petercnx »

Couldn't agree more, thanks.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

consider this

Post by BeNotDeceived »

petercnx wrote: October 11th, 2022, 3:39 am Couldn't agree more, thanks.
https://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m116/sequences/geometric.html wrote:
A geometric sequence is an exponential function. Instead of y=ax, we write an=crn where r is the common ratio and c is a constant (not the first term of the sequence, however). A recursive definition, since each term is found by multiplying the previous term by the common ratio, ak+1=ak * r.
Some call mathematical identities gibberish, but not those that proclaim truth. There was a geometric series of earthquakes, but few are capable of understanding due to gross negligence. Search words from my preceding sentences to become less an ignoramus, and learn vital truths.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I think you should consider this before replying to a few in this forum - "Before you argue with someone,.....

Post by Thinker »

And the first person you should argue with is yourself! Are you able to consider opinions that conflict with your own?

My 7th grade speech/debate teacher taught us to be prepared to argue either side of an issue & indeed, we were sometimes asked to debate a side we didn’t agree with. He was wise because he knew that only be knowing each side so throughly, could we get a clear picture & THEN figure out what we believe.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

I wish this could be posted each time we see another 2-3 person debate, also known as "Slug Fest".

Down_the_rabbithole
captain of 100

Post by Down_the_rabbithole »

5 And it came to pass that the people assembled themselves together throughout all the land, every man according to his mind, whether it were for or against Amlici, in separate bodies, having much dispute and wonderful contentions one with another.
(Alma 2:2-5)

I always liked the "wonderful contentions" part 😁...

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I think too often people want to make the other person accept their point of view.

Discussion is not about that. Make your points, clarify if necessary, and then move on. If you find that your opinion needs to be modified, then do so. And give the other person that same courtesy.

Most of the 2-3 person debates are because people want to make the other person acknowledge that they are wrong. But I have found that in the moment, most people will not do that. They (including myself) need time to think about the different idea and roll it around a bit in their mind. The new idea is like a seed. It is only after a bit of time has passed that they can determine if it should grow or be discarded.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

There are those who believe that if you don't agree with their point of view, then you don't have the ability to grasp the difference of perspectives when all along it is they who might have this same problem.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Serragon wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:59 am I think too often people want to make the other person accept their point of view.

Discussion is not about that. Make your points, clarify if necessary, and then move on. If you find that your opinion needs to be modified, then do so. And give the other person that same courtesy.

Most of the 2-3 person debates are because people want to make the other person acknowledge that they are wrong. But I have found that in the moment, most people will not do that. They (including myself) need time to think about the different idea and roll it around a bit in their mind. The new idea is like a seed. It is only after a bit of time has passed that they can determine if it should grow or be discarded.
Good points.
How awesome when you can discuss with someone in which there’s mutual respect, mutual openness to at least considering other reasonable possibilities or perspectives & when both learn SOMETHING.

I think - & I speak both from experience & observation - that pride often gets in the way of learning.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Re: consider this

Post by darknesstolight »

BeNotDeceived wrote: October 11th, 2022, 5:42 am
petercnx wrote: October 11th, 2022, 3:39 am Couldn't agree more, thanks.
https://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m116/sequences/geometric.html wrote:
A geometric sequence is an exponential function. Instead of y=ax, we write an=crn where r is the common ratio and c is a constant (not the first term of the sequence, however). A recursive definition, since each term is found by multiplying the previous term by the common ratio, ak+1=ak * r.
Some call mathematical identities gibberish, but not those that proclaim truth. There was a geometric series of earthquakes, but few are capable of understanding due to gross negligence. Search words from my preceding sentences to become less an ignoramus, and learn vital truths.
Ignorance has nothing to do with it.

God creates diversity. It isn't just numbers, math, logic, and sequences of events and all that jazz. That IS one jazz but it isn't the only one.

You struggle to understand ideas I find easy and you often miss things that others including myself have written because it's not how you see the world. It's not your way of perceiving reality and your way isn't the only way to see truth.

It's limited.

Diversifying your perspective, widening your perspective, to include views that are not your views improves your knowledge and reduces ignorance.

Also you assume that people reject your message because they are lazy.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Being There wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:51 pm Image
as I was saying.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Image is broken.