The Covenant Path

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

The Covenant Path

Post by Jonesy »

It may be said that this phrase is proudly advocated by the church, and loathed by otherwise disaffected members of the church. And although I definitely believe it’s a false, man-made concept, I’ve been looking into what covenants mean as they relate between God and His people.

The “covenant path” phrase seems to have really initiated with “The Power of Covenants”
by Elder D. Todd Christofferson in 2009. Its use has increased exponentially since then.

To set the bar outright, only Jesus Christ is the Mediator of the New Covenant.

Isaiah also prophecies according to how God views His relation with man, and this is done in various groups. As Avraham Gileadi’s concept goes, “Isaiah’s characterization of people reveals seven spiritual levels”; their relation to God differs in that sense.

There are two pairs of relationships in particular referring to God’s people:

1. Jacob/Israel; “depict a materialistic category of God’s people”; “liable to descend even lower—to Babylon, a category of oppressors and evildoers”
2. Zion/Jerusalem; “category of people who repent of evil, who prove faithful when God tests their loyalties. As they do so, God forgives their sins and acknowledges them as his covenant people.”

In the end, “God delivers only Zion/Jerusalem and levels higher.”

From Isaiah Explained:
[Prophets] established a spiritual heritage based on revelations from God, Creator of the heavens and the earth. Upon that foundation they built and expanded their understanding of God, of humanity, and of eternity.
To me, as great as Joseph Smith was, I don’t think he’s any of the servants prophesied in the end times. We can look to and thank D&C 113 for clarifying this, although he will no doubt have some part in the end times. So, really, Isaiah is not directly speaking of the church’s wickedness (at least not as it now stands), but of an actual church that descends in to total corruption, of which the LDS church is a shadow. This is just as apparent as Russia is not the Assyria prophesied to destroy the world—but merely a type (and perhaps China will play a greater role yet to come in this shadow). Those who see themselves in a covenant relationship with the Lord will inevitably find its need for renewal.

Eventually, Elijah will unravel the confusion of what part people have with God, that it may all be summed up into God’s family. From Words of Joseph Smith:
Joseph. Translation of [Malachi] 4th-5 . 6 I will send Elijah the Prophet and he shall reveal the covenants of the Fathers to the children and of the Children to the Fathers that they may enter into Covenant with each other lest I come & smite the whole Earth with a curse—
Pres. J. Smith bore testimony to the same saying that when he was a youth he began to think about these things but could not find out which of all the sects were right he went into the grove & enquired of the Lord which of all the sects were right he received for answer that none of them were right, that they were all wrong, & that the Everlasting Covenant was broken (Isaiah 24:5;D&C 1:15)= = he said he under- stood the fulness of the Gospel from beginning to end—& could Teach it & also the order of the priesthood in all its ramifica- tions4^ =Earth & hell had opposed him & tryed to destroy him, but they had not done it= =& they never would.

Salvation could not come to the world without the mediation of Jesus Christ.
how shall god come to the rescue of this generation, he shall send Elijah law revealed to Moses in Horeb—never was revealed to the C. of Israel and he shall reveal the covenants to seal the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers.11— anointing & sealing—called elected and made sure12 without father &c.13 a priesthood which holds the priesthood by right from the Eternal Gods.—and not be descent from father and mother14
The election of the promised seed still continues, and in the last days, they shall have the priesthood restored unto them, and they shall be the "Saviors on mount Zion" the "ministers of our God," if it were not for the remnant which was left,then might we be as Sodom and as Gomorah.
The whole of the chapter had reference to the priesthood and the house of Israel; and unconditional election of individuals to eternal life was not taught by the apostles.
God did elect or predestinate, that all those who would be saved, should be saved in Christ Jesus, and through obedience to the gospel; but he passes over no man's sins, but visits them with correction, and if his children will not repent of their sins, he will discard them.
It’s also apparent that the LDS as a whole will not be saved, but only those who live according to the gospel.

We know there is more scripture to come forth--currently sealed (29:11-12; 1NE14:26), more covenants that will be established (42:6; 49:8; 55:3), and even new servants identified yet to come forth leading up to the Millennium (D&C 113; root of Jesse and rod from the stem of Jesse regarding Isaiah 11); prophets/servants yet to come whom we ought not to reject. So, although we find ourselves as the covenant people of the Lord, we may find ourselves in a sobering scenario as the ancient Jews who found it very difficult to accept things outside their accepted dogma (new wine into old bottles). In the end, there will only be two churches. We will have the opportunity to prove ourselves. And our only hope, just as it was for the ancient Jews, is to be anchored in Christ and humble ourselves to the dust.

It’s my opinion and suppositions that this convergence from the latter days to the end times occurs upon the brink of full scale nuclear war, then [something will happen]—then will all churches and all people be in disarray. Authority will be lost to a greater extent and false prophets will arise with greater ease; so also will the true servants arise. What is left of the church will claim authority when there is none left to claim, and they will become more militant on the doctrine; it may be a fractured church by then. The church will yet be set in order.

I know this post is a little disorganized, but I wanted to cut down on a lot of the content I started out with. And I’m tired…

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: The Covenant Path

Post by Jonesy »

That’s great—I didn’t even think to relate it with strait and narrow. And I definitely am noticing the intimate and rigorousness of the way. Corrections are becoming more constant with me.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

President Nelson popularized the phrase “the covenant path.” Many people have proposed meaning for those words. President Nelson described what he currently thinks about the covenant path here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... t?lang=eng

It is a non-scriptural phrase and it seems worthwhile to see what President Nelson means when he says it as a starting point to discussion of his phrase.

CMajor
captain of 100

Post by CMajor »

In Presidents Nelson's talk, "The Everlasting Covenant" he asked the question? Why was Israel scattered? Because the people broke the commandments and stoned the Prophets.
So how does a Prophet keep himself from being stoned? Don't upset the people by accepting everyone into the fold, hence our current policy on homosexuals. And teach a lower standard of obedience "the Covenant Path."

If the leaders are not teaching the Straight or Strait and Narrow Path in Nephi 31:13 (from the most correct book on earth) it is because they have not experienced the Baptism of Fire. Repentance, baptism, and the baptism of Fire and the Holy Ghost is what puts one through the Gate onto the Straight Path. It is an event that no one experiencing it can ever deny, verse 14..."and after this should deny me, it would have been better for you that ye had not known me."

So the leaders teach the Covenant Path, because it is all they have experienced. Joseph Smith taught (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pg. 314) "You might as well baptize a bag of sand as a man, if not done in view of the remission of sins and getting of the Holy Ghost. Baptism by water is but half a baptism, and is good for nothing without the other half--that is, the baptism of the Holy Ghost." [or Fire]

Why is this not taught? Because you cannot teach what has not been revealed to you. In this case the scriptures and personal experience.

2 Nephi 31:17 continues "Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost.

18. And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate; ye have done according to the commandments of the Father and the Son; and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son, unto the fulfilling of the promise which he hath made, that if ye entered in by the way ye should receive.

19. And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.

20. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

21. And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen."

In the blog referenced by Jonesy "The Word of the LORD Unto Me" part 2, After the baptism of fire we follow the directions of the Holy Ghost until Christ manifests himself to us in the flesh. (In his timing, not ours)

Covenant Path does not qualify as a way to be saved in the kingdom of God.