Bug out Places in utah?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
HeberC
captain of 100

Re: Bug out Places in utah?

Post by HeberC »

Over the years, I've noticed that the San Pete valley has very affordable property, FWIW. A friend of ours moved down there and was hired as a cement truck driver. He went to a construction site to deliver a load and noticed that everyone was staring at him and the ground moved around like Jell-O, under him. He asked how deep the water table was and someone said, "About one foot. We were taking bets on whether your truck would break through". So, getting water, in some areas, wouldn't be too costly. Our water is 320' down and our well cost $20,000 28 years ago.

We came to this place, 28 years ago and are as prepared as possible. I never thought that this is our final location but I knew we were supposed to be here, for now (Heber Valley).

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: October 5th, 2022, 11:36 am
tmac wrote: February 8th, 2013, 7:24 am Haddojh, I would be glad to engage in this discussion with you. For the past 10 years or so, my wife and I have chosen to live and finish raising our family in good a bug-out spot, and I have done most of my business, etc., elsewhere to support and provide for my family here.

For the past couple years, as our children were approaching adulthood, and the season of our life was changing, I seriously considered (and tried) to relocate to improve our situation in light of the changing/shifting landscape, but last Fall, I experienced what I call my "Great Redirection," in which I was directed to stay put, and means were provided for me to be able to do that.

Although I have always been concerned about who we share our foxhole with, as part of that whole scenario, we had the opportunity to sell part of our very well-situated property to someone else to use as their own bug-out spot. I think it will be a genuine win/win for both of us.

At this point we are moving forward with some interesting projects here with an eye toward being even better situated and prepared for the future.

I would be interested in hearing more about you and your objectives. If you're not comfortable about talking about that here, but would like to discuss further, please send me a PM.
tmac, I'm in the process of locating property and am dealing with a ton of different profile points. So, I like to see what attributes are important about the property they've chosen. What makes your property "well-situated" for you? Is it situated on a bench or in a valley? Do you have a water source, not only for culinary needs, but for potentially watering garden/crops; and does it require electricity (pump) or is it natural? High elevation? What is your ideal distance from a bigger population center (building supplies, groceries, etc)? Are you in a community, with neighbors (even if they are spread out)? I think that is important, too.

Anyway, I'm not asking for location details, as I understand the need for discretion. Just looking for characteristics about it that make it ideal for you, as I'm looking for my own right now. Thanks
This is a serious blast from the past. That post was almost 10 years ago.

We have been here for about 20 years now, and my thoughts and experience with all of this have evolved quite a bit over time, including the last 10 years, but I'll try to answer a few questions.

We have a pretty unique, 120+/- acre property that is very hard to find, and usually pretty expensive -- especially these days, and especially in this neck of the woods.

Our elevation is right at 5000'. We have a good, solid 150+ day growing season. We have a good solid, year-round creek running through the middle of our property. We take a water turn every two weeks, and run the creek water in our pond, which we then use for irrigation, in a pressurized irrigation system using five pressurized wheel lines. Although part of the irrigation system will gravity pressurize, we do use a booster pump to insure adequate pressure on the high end. We are in the foothills, at the base of a mountain, bordering public lands, overlooking a vast valley, with 360 degree views, including 50-100 mile views in several directions.

We also have a solid culinary/stock well that we use for our home, livestock, garden, etc.

Although I would actually rather be off-grid (husbands and wifes don't always agree), we have grid power. We also have a very ample firewood supply, right on our property.

The closest community of about 500 people is just 5 minutes away (and now has two wards). It has a small general store, as well as a small gas/service station, post office, etc. The closest real grocery store and hardware store is about 15 minutes. The closest Walmart and Home Depot is an hour.

The interesting thing is, at this point, we are seriously looking at relocating to buy a larger ranching operation, so we are seriously considering selling this place to help make that happen.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

tmac wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:48 pm
tmac wrote: February 8th, 2013, 7:24 am Haddojh, I would be glad to engage in this discussion with you. For the past 10 years or so, my wife and I have chosen to live and finish raising our family in good a bug-out spot, and I have done most of my business, etc., elsewhere to support and provide for my family here.

For the past couple years, as our children were approaching adulthood, and the season of our life was changing, I seriously considered (and tried) to relocate to improve our situation in light of the changing/shifting landscape, but last Fall, I experienced what I call my "Great Redirection," in which I was directed to stay put, and means were provided for me to be able to do that.

Although I have always been concerned about who we share our foxhole with, as part of that whole scenario, we had the opportunity to sell part of our very well-situated property to someone else to use as their own bug-out spot. I think it will be a genuine win/win for both of us.

At this point we are moving forward with some interesting projects here with an eye toward being even better situated and prepared for the future.

I would be interested in hearing more about you and your objectives. If you're not comfortable about talking about that here, but would like to discuss further, please send me a PM.
tmac, I'm in the process of locating property and am dealing with a ton of different profile points. So, I like to see what attributes are important about the property they've chosen. What makes your property "well-situated" for you? Is it situated on a bench or in a valley? Do you have a water source, not only for culinary needs, but for potentially watering garden/crops; and does it require electricity (pump) or is it natural? High elevation? What is your ideal distance from a bigger population center (building supplies, groceries, etc)? Are you in a community, with neighbors (even if they are spread out)? I think that is important, too.

Anyway, I'm not asking for location details, as I understand the need for discretion. Just looking for characteristics about it that make it ideal for you, as I'm looking for my own right now. Thanks

We have been here for about 20 years now, and my thoughts and experience with all of this have evolved quite a bit over time, including the last 10 years, but I'll try to answer a few questions.

We have a pretty unique, 120+/- acre property that is very hard to find, and usually pretty expensive -- especially these days, and especially in this neck of the woods.

Our elevation is right at 5000'. We have a good, solid 150+ day growing season. We have a good solid, year-round creek running through the middle of our property. We take a water turn every two weeks, and run the creek water in our pond, which we then use for irrigation, in a pressurized irrigation system using five pressurized wheel lines. Although part of the irrigation system will gravity pressurize, we do use a booster pump to insure adequate pressure on the high end. We are in the foothills, at the base of a mountain, bordering public lands, overlooking a vast valley, with 360 degree views, including 50-100 mile views in several directions.

We also have a solid culinary/stock well that we use for our home, livestock, garden, etc.

Although I would actually rather be off-grid (husbands and wifes don't always agree), we have grid power. We also have a very ample firewood supply, right on our property.

The closest community of about 500 people is just 5 minutes away (and now has two wards). It has a small general store, as well as a small gas/service station, post office, etc. The closest real grocery store and hardware store is about 15 minutes. The closest Walmart and Home Depot is an hour.

The interesting thing is, at this point, we are seriously looking at relocating to buy a larger ranching operation, so we are seriously considering selling this place to help make that happen.
I was digging through all of the old posts related to land/property. Thanks for responding to this, it was really good information and sounds similar to what I'm looking for, though, I'm looking at a little higher elevation, around 6000.

I found a property that we like, even has a little creek running through the property, but it's a little further from a real grocery and hardware store (more like 35 min to an ACE and local grocery store) and closer to an hour to a Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. There is a little town about 10 min away with a gas station, little general store, chapel, etc. Oh, forgot to mention that it's right at the base of a significant mountain range, with another range on the other side of the valley, with plenty of natural resources and a mile or two from a reservoir.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: October 7th, 2022, 5:14 pm
tmac wrote: October 6th, 2022, 5:48 pm

I was digging through all of the old posts related to land/property. Thanks for responding to this, it was really good information and sounds similar to what I'm looking for, though, I'm looking at a little higher elevation, around 6000.

I found a property that we like, even has a little creek running through the property, but it's a little further from a real grocery and hardware store (more like 35 min to an ACE and local grocery store) and closer to an hour to a Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. There is a little town about 10 min away with a gas station, little general store, chapel, etc. Oh, forgot to mention that it's right at the base of a significant mountain range, with another range on the other side of the valley, with plenty of natural resources and a mile or two from a reservoir.
Sounds like a great find.

technomagus
captain of 50

Post by technomagus »

HeirofNumenor wrote: February 18th, 2013, 8:15 pm I have heard of prophecies (by Brigham Young?) stating that BOTH Sanpete Valley, and the Cedar City valley will EACH have one million people or more in the Last Days.

NOTE: these were primarily refugees from other troubled and devastated areas of the nation (and presumably, world).

It was Glen Kimber (Cleon Skousen's son-in-law) that told me these.

FWIW
I live in Cedar Valley, and I can tell you, we have neither the water nor food production capabilities to feed 1 million. All the farmers either graze sheep, some few cattle, and raise hay. On occasion you will see someone raise up a small field of corn. That's it. No vegetables, nor vast orchards, no nutteries. Individuals may have small orchards or gardens, but it's not enough. If the power goes out and there is no fuel for trucks to move food in, we are going to have a lot of starving, thirsty people.
The soil is poor and alkaline. The wind some months is non-stop. You can have temp swings from the 40's to the 90's. Rainfall is barely enough to support tumbleweeds.
Scaling up food production take time. Trees grow slowly. Greenhouses and irrigation sytems and soil production systems need to be brought in. Really, this should have began 20 years ago. Perhaps if the church wanted to start something like that on a bunch of land with the 150 billion they have in reserve that might work. But as it stands now, I don't see it happening beyond some major miracles..