Bednar’s talk

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Re: Bednar’s talk

Post by Lemarque »

Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:59 pm
I've seen RMN do "scary face", as well. Just to get the point across to the right-brained people, where words may not have been sufficient.
My 4 year old asked, "Why is he so angry?" when he saw Pres Nelson speaking.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm I thought it was a great talk. I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.
Good to hear, but if he does try to reverse course, it will be like Tar-Palantir. Too late, and heavily resisted. Once the church began its strong progressive shift, there was no going back. Progressives are in the ascendancy and seek power and won't relinquish power.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Here are some bad people running a daycare that like to scare little kids. Warning, this is kind of disturbing:

https://twitter.com/conservmillen/statu ... outrage%2F

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Jashon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm I thought it was a great talk. I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.
Good to hear, but if he does try to reverse course, it will be like Tar-Palantir. Too late, and heavily resisted. Once the church began its strong progressive shift, there was no going back. Progressives are in the ascendancy and seek power and won't relinquish power.
This is true for now. But because progressives deny reality and attempt to speak their own fantasies into reality, it is doomed to crumble at some point. Unlike liberalism, which was reality based, progressivism has no foundation. We are already seeing signs that it is beginning to crack.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm Here are some bad people running a daycare that like to scare little kids. Warning, this is kind of disturbing:

I saw this, it’s awful.
Did you post it on here because it reminds you of Bednar?! 😆

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 3:27 pm
Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm Here are some bad people running a daycare that like to scare little kids. Warning, this is kind of disturbing:

I saw this, it’s awful.
Did you post it on here because it reminds you of Bednar?! 😆
I think the church does this to everyone, but in subtler ways, usually through the intellect. In then end, we are programmed to suppose there is no life outside of the church.

I just saw this from Julie Green - a whole different approach and I believe God is completely involved. Watch from 23:20:

https://rumble.com/v1myr08-its-harvest- ... ldren.html

You can bet that most church members are going to be among those who she says will turn their back on God. It will happen because God's miracles will not be under the control (or even awareness) of our idols - the church and its leaders. God will look dangerously off-brand to us Mormons, so we will dismiss what he's doing. I was hit really hard with this impression when she started talking around 23:20.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Article wrote:“In the modern church, leaders have become more like bureaucrats than theologians,” Park said.
That sums it up pretty well.
Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.
No one is concerned if someone borrows from someone else, many talks in the past have quoted from others, as long as they are properly attributed, which is the subject here. It's about intellectual honesty which Bednar seems to lack.

He stole from The Church of the Great God? Wow, that's... interesting.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

One other thing I like about Bednar is that he seems to be the only GA that hasn't adopted Nelson's always smiling methodology. I sat through a stake conference not too long ago where the visiting GA had a smile plastered on his face non-stop the entire 2 days. It was completely unnatural and gave me the impression of not being authentic. However, most others loved it and thought him to be the kindest man God had ever created.

So his little seemingly authentic sneers don't really bother me. I suspect he is an elitist and does have some contempt for the peasant class, but I think that true of all of our leaders. Bednar just doesn't care as much about trying to hide it, and he seems to care more about correct doctrine than the others. I also think that much of his contempt may be directed at what he sees happening in the church.

If someone were ever to stand up to what they see happening or were to actually break off the church (not that I see that happening), I think it would be Bednar. i suspect the fact that he is quite likely to be the president of the church in the not too distant future probably helps keep him in line. He may be the one to reform many of Nelson's current reforms.
Using another's words without attribution, not only deprives the original author of due credit, but also falsely enhances the status of the fake author. Accepting undo praise is a defect. When Russell Ballard came to our ward and everyone stood up when he entered, he chastised them. He told us not to record, but stated that he did not want the worship.

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

creator wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm
Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am... lead him to steal someone else's words.
Or it was his speech writer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know this for sure, but I've seen comments (on LDS related reddit subforums) from people who have claimed to be a speech writer for their Conference talks. It wouldn't surprise me that they use speech writers.
They do use speech writers. John Dehlin interviewed a female speech writer on the Mormon Stories Podcast. She wrote Conference talks, Church magazine and manual articles - even dedicatory prayers.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Jashon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm
That is the reason Lucifer got kicked out. True Christians call it satanism.

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 4:12 pm When Russell Ballard came to our ward and everyone stood up when he entered, he chastised them. He told us not to record, but stated that he did not want the worship.
I certainly appreciate the sentiment from Ballard, but Mormons certainly get mixed messages. I can tell you Bednar absolutely expects members to stand when he enters the room. I remember when I saw him he made that explicitly clear to everyone there. And if he doesn't like the way the congregation sang the hymn, he'll have them sing it again until they get it right.

I'm not kidding.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

gruden2.0 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:23 pm
Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 4:12 pm When Russell Ballard came to our ward and everyone stood up when he entered, he chastised them. He told us not to record, but stated that he did not want the worship.
I certainly appreciate the sentiment from Ballard, but Mormons certainly get mixed messages. I can tell you Bednar absolutely expects members to stand when he enters the room. I remember when I saw him he made that explicitly clear to everyone there. And if he doesn't like the way the congregation sang the hymn, he'll have them sing it again until they get it right.

I'm not kidding.
Quite a difference in attitude. One could truthfully say that Bednar is arrogant, haughty, proud, self centered, certainly the opposite of humble. Christlike is not a term that fits him.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:32 pm

I'm not kidding.
Quite a difference in attitude. One could truthfully say that Bednar is arrogant, haughty, proud, self centered, certainly the opposite of humble. Christlike is not a term that fits him.
I had friends who were teachers at BYU-Idaho while he was President of the college, and they said it was a nightmare. I was visiting them while attending an Education Week back when he was first called as an apostle, so he had just been replaced. They were so relieved. They all had crazy stories.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

What he said
Attachments
0C9E67E9-6DCD-4CD6-B5C0-F5053E7A9390.jpeg
0C9E67E9-6DCD-4CD6-B5C0-F5053E7A9390.jpeg (212.6 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I think Bednar came to LDSFF and got in a really bad mood. He had no idea that some pocket of disagreement was out there.

Ebenezer
captain of 100

Post by Ebenezer »

Plagiarism is just a fancy word for stealing. Bednar is a thief.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

I'm not kidding.
Creepy

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Post by Peeps »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:47 pm
Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:42 pm You know he was implying that the masonic temple garments are on par with the wedding garments that the king dressed his guests in. Implication is that if you're not on-board with whatever they are wanting you to now think, to qualify for a temple recommend, you are an imposter that is going to be bound hand-and-foot and cast into outer darkness. Bednar is far from Jesus, I think.

Those scowls in the video were really ugly. It's a bit over-the-top. Makes me wonder if somebody doctored the video to make him look especially evil. If that was actually how he looked giving his talk, this is another indication that people should stop considering these men as prophets. God is not a peevish bully.
Here’s the talk go to the 7:50 mark. Both sneers happen around 8:00
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_96DNRQ_38
This is the only way I can find a Bednar talk remotely enjoyable.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:47 am
Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am
Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:37 am Interesting article on Bednar’s talk from conference. Accused of plagiarism.

https://religionnews.com/2022/10/06/lds ... id-bednar/
What does one do when he has zero inspiration or revelation? He has no testimony as the god he worships is a communist totalitarian. He could quote previous Q15 as so many do. But he wants to be quoted by others. Vanity and pride, and a desire to cheat and deceive, lead him to steal someone else's words.
Look at his sneer during his talk.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ar_during/
I'm not that concerned. It looks like he's just trying to emphasize something but half his face is paralyzed. Maybe a vaccine-induced stroke? That kind of emphasis is unusual in Utah, but common where I lived in two different locations in the quasi-South. It could be a sneer, though. I'm still not that concerned. If your salvation depends on determining what his facial expressions meant... xD

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

“For those who would try to find fault, we would invite you to consider the spirit of his message”.

Saving this for my next interview with a priesthood leader.

In other news, did you see the survey where church members voted on what healing they would most like to see coming out of General Conference? The winner was, “we apologize”. Interesting, yes?

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

People do awful things when they suppose they have authority or keys. Perhaps it goes something like this. I was chosen to be a leader by someone I believe to be a leader. So clearly I must have the ultimate leaders blessing in what I say and do.

Bednar is an apostle because he was called by men he believed were apostles. So he believes he is an apostle as well. He clearly believes he is something he's not. Hubris is only the first step. Perhaps this current scandal will be a humbling experience for him.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

creator wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm
Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am... lead him to steal someone else's words.
Or it was his speech writer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know this for sure, but I've seen comments (on LDS related reddit subforums) from people who have claimed to be a speech writer for their Conference talks. It wouldn't surprise me that they use speech writers.
Hugh Nibley, interview by Stan Larson:

source: https://mobile.twitter.com/ldsfootnotes ... 2554753026

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

We won’t hear a peep from Bednar or any others of the Q15 about this because it’s damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.

Either he says he wrote the talk himself and stole the writings of a scholar from the Church of the Great God, or he admits to having a speechwriter, so not only are we not hearing Bednar teach what the Holy Spirit directs, but he employs someone else to put words in his mouth.

The Church updated the footnotes on the print version of the talk to include the numerous references to the plagiarized phrases, within an hour of being called out by Religion News. Fast work!

It is interesting that this talk is getting tons of praise in faithful Mormon circles. Little do they know that the parts they love the most, the explanation of the wedding garment, was stolen.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Church haters: He didn't attribute ideas to John Reed!!!!

Bednar:
Screenshot_20221008-115424.png
Screenshot_20221008-115424.png (444.51 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

“Having integrity is about being the same person on the inside that we are on the outside, and if we don’t have integrity, life becomes exhausting. I wonder how many people get tempted by the gains they can make by playing a role.” (On the outside)
Donald Miller, Scary Close