Happy Michaelmas

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
creator
(of the Forum)

Happy Michaelmas

Post by creator »

Photo-2019-10-07-4-31-30-PM.jpg
Photo-2019-10-07-4-31-30-PM.jpg (194.75 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Allison
captain of 1,000

Re: Happy Michaelmas

Post by Allison »

Did you celebrate it? And if so, how?

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Post by Peeps »

creator wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:34 pm Photo-2019-10-07-4-31-30-PM.jpg
From Wikipedia:
Michaelmas (/ˈmɪkəlməs/ MIK-əl-məs; also known as the Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, the Feast of the Archangels, or the Feast of Saint Michael and All Angels) is a Christian festival observed in some Western liturgical calendars on 29 September, and on 8 November in the Eastern tradition. Michaelmas has been one of the four quarter days of the English and Irish financial, judicial, and academic year.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

From “Mrs. Sharp’s Traditions,” we learn that it is celebrating St. George (aka Archangel Michael) slaying the dragon. It was suggested to make a sweet bread dough and shape it like a dragon, complete with scales made from slivered almonds.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Allison wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:47 pm Did you celebrate it? And if so, how?
I suppose I would say that I observe it, talk about it, and give it consideration.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Michael-by-David-Newbatt.jpg
Michael-by-David-Newbatt.jpg (110.49 KiB) Viewed 602 times

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Is there a time for airing of grievances?? 😆

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

creator wrote: September 30th, 2022, 8:58 am
Allison wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:47 pm Did you celebrate it? And if so, how?
I suppose I would say that I observe it, talk about it, and give it consideration.
What do you say to people when you talk about it?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Allison wrote: September 30th, 2022, 8:32 pm
Personally, I tell them to do 17 Burpees in observation of this day. After the burpees, I let them know that they must face northeast,strip down into their underwear and pretend to eat fruit from a tree. Next comes the Burmese python....they must go to Petco on Michealmas and buy a python. They then have to give the snake 3 kisses 😘 and three flicks.

They were out of snakes at Petco so I just got nightcrawlers instead. I'm not sure if you ever kissed a worm.... 🤢 Had me gagging.

The things I do for Michaelmas...that old bastard

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

nightlight wrote: September 30th, 2022, 10:05 pmThe things I do for Michaelmas...that old bastard
You do realize this is about Michael the Archangel (some say he's an Archai now), also referred to as the face or countenance of God.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

creator wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:58 pm
nightlight wrote: September 30th, 2022, 10:05 pmThe things I do for Michaelmas...that old bastard
You do realize this is about Michael the Archangel (some say he's an Archai now), also referred to as the face or countenance of God.
No doubt he deserves a warriors respect....he being first among the fallen and the sword in Gods hand

I'm sure he'll forgive me for my jokes.

Peeps
captain of 1,000

Post by Peeps »

creator wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:01 am Michael-by-David-Newbatt.jpg
Revelation 22:9
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

See the links in this post, for example.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

creator wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 2:28 pm
See the links in this post, for example.
Oh my, that’s a lot! Is it worth sinking your teeth into? Does it bring you closer to Christ?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Allison wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 7:51 pmOh my, that’s a lot! Is it worth sinking your teeth into? Does it bring you closer to Christ?
That's probably not where I would recommend starting. This information stems from my exploration into Anthroposophy (i.e teachings of Rudolf Steiner). Regarding what I've explored of Rudolf Steiner's writings, I would say, yes, absolutely it has brought me closer to Christ.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

creator wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:19 pm
Allison wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 7:51 pmOh my, that’s a lot! Is it worth sinking your teeth into? Does it bring you closer to Christ?
That's probably not where I would recommend starting. This information stems from my exploration into Anthroposophy (i.e teachings of Rudolf Steiner). Regarding what I've explored of Rudolf Steiner's writings, I would say, yes, absolutely it has brought me closer to Christ.
Good to know! So he is absolutely a Christian and not a new age type at all?

There was a whole Waldorf bookstore near our home in SoCal decades ago, and he was so prolific, I was afraid to even get started, tbh, especially if the end of that road was just going to be a distraction, or misleading at all. But you sound kind of sold on his writings.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Lets see if I can give this a simple response. There is so much context to it.

Some years back I had studied the problems with the new age movement (i.e. recognizing where it is wrong). Those familiar with it know that Theosophy is often tied to the new age movement. When Steiner was first teaching, the theosophists are the type who were more interested in his message (because this stuff is naturally appealing to those interested in esoteric, Gnostic, occult, hermetic, spiritual teachings), and he became quite popular in the German Theosophical society. They soon parted ways due to the fact that Steiner insisted on talking about Christ as central to everything, and the importance of Christianity (not apostate Christianity, but true Christianity). So, while Steiner did often speak of theosophy, he later more frequently used the term Anthroposophy, to distinguish it.

So, yes, Steiner was Christian.

"Not a new age type at all" is kind of a loaded question. It depends on your interpretation of what is new age. I would consider his teachings to be principle based. He gave many warnings about the typical new age path and why it was dangerous, while also describing a principle based path to connecting with God. He encouraged people to not be dogmatic but to believe that which you could verify/experience for yourself via spiritual science.

So, anyways, some of it is difficult to put into words, but my faith in Christ has been completely transformed from this path of research.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

creator wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:11 pm Lets see if I can give this a simple response. There is so much context to it.

Some years back I had studied the problems with the new age movement (i.e. recognizing where it is wrong). Those familiar with it know that Theosophy is often tied to the new age movement. When Steiner was first teaching, the theosophists are the type who were more interested in his message (because this stuff is naturally appealing to those interested in esoteric, Gnostic, occult, hermetic, spiritual teachings), and he became quite popular in the German Theosophical society. They soon parted ways due to the fact that Steiner insisted on talking about Christ as central to everything, and the importance of Christianity (not apostate Christianity, but true Christianity). So, while Steiner did often speak of theosophy, he later more frequently used the term Anthroposophy, to distinguish it.

So, yes, Steiner was Christian.

"Not a new age type at all" is kind of a loaded question. It depends on your interpretation of what is new age. I would consider his teachings to principle based. He gave many warnings about the typical new age path and why it was dangerous, while also describing a principle based path to connecting with God. He encouraged people to not be dogmatic but to believe that which you could verify/experience for yourself via spiritual science.

So, anyways, some of it is difficult to put into words, but my faith in Christ has been completely transformed from this path of research.
Amazing! And yet it’s bound to be a long journey, because he wrote so much. That so explains why I kept feeling drawn to and then repulsed by him. It may have been his own followers who gave him a bad name (in my mind).

Did he have a primer of sorts, for a beginner?

abijah
pleb in zion

⚡🌧

Post by abijah »

creator wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:58 pm You do realize this is about Michael the Archangel (some say he's an Archai now), also referred to as the face or countenance of God.
Interesting. though i feel like there's a lot of truth mingled with nontruth, and like the author may be grasping too much to unwarrantedly syncretise different religions and amalgamate key gods/figures in the religions in ways that feel tenuous imo

i recommend the Lord of Spirits podcast episode Thunder Gods and the God Who Thundered they really know their stuff. generally speaking, their big thing is raising understanding about the spiritual/unseen realm around us, and interacting with it in a positive way, which seems somewhat similar to anthroposophy if I understand it correctly.

i don't know if michael can be correlated precisely with thor, but i kind of doubt it, though there are plenty of overlaps as the article points out (ive made a topic on the subject before). its really hard to know because literally the only sources we have on Norse religion is from like 2-3 poems written by christians (vikings weren't known for their literacy)

Thor is a storm god/thunder god. in the ^above-linked podcast they compare him on this basis with other storm gods, namely Zeus of greece, and Baal of the canaanites. They were associated with might (storms are powerful) and fertility (storms bring the rain).

This is a big theme in the Elijah story, the question who is the true Rainmaker, who truly brings the waters of heaven to water the crops? Ahab had instituted Baalism as the religion of the northern kingdom of israel, so, via Elijah, God shows them who really brings the rainshowers by withholding the skies for 3 years. Also, the whole thing on Mt Carmel where Elijah has his showdown with the priests of baal about who can bring fire from heaven (yhwh or baal). "Fire from heaven" is a common term for referring to lightning, the competition b/w elijah and the priests is largely about who controls the Thunderbolt ⚡. Yhwh proves that He is the one who actually brings fertility to the land (rainmaker), and holds the raw might of the thunderbolt, which He rightfully owns, as opposed to a usurptive imposter lilke baal.
creator wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:58 pmthe Archangel (some say he's an Archai now), also referred to as the face or countenance of God.
Michael is the "face of God" ---->
  • Isaiah 63
    In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.
^this is Michael, and the hebrew word "presence" literally means "faces".

this Angel has multiple important cameos throughout the OT, in connection with recurring this leitmotif of "face(s)".
abijah` wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:55 pmThe word for "presence" is likewise the word for "face(s)"....

Genesis 32
And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day.
When the man saw that he prevailed not against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him.
And he said unto him "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob".
And he said, your name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince you have power with God and with men, and hast prevailed....
So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, “For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered.”

Judges 6
Then Gideon perceived that he was the angel of the LORD. And Gideon said, “Alas, O Lord GOD! For now I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face."

Judges 13
For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground.

Joshua 5
And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship...

Numbers 22
Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

1 Chronicles 21
And David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the LORD stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders of Israel, who were clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces...

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Allison wrote: October 5th, 2022, 9:00 pmAmazing! And yet it’s bound to be a long journey, because he wrote so much. That so explains why I kept feeling drawn to and then repulsed by him. It may have been his own followers who gave him a bad name (in my mind).

Did he have a primer of sorts, for a beginner?
I would probably recommend this as a starting point:
  • Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and Its Attainment
And these would be among my other top recommendations:
  • From Jesus to Christ
  • Theosophy
  • Christianity as Mystical Fact
  • Occult Science
In regards to Steiner's "followers", those who might call themselves Anthroposophists, there is definitely variance. Steiner purposely never created a Church because he wanted to avoid dogmatism, and encouraged people not to just believe him but to experience truth and knowledge for themselves via spiritual science.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

creator wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:11 pm Lets see if I can give this a simple response. There is so much context to it.

...They soon parted ways due to the fact that Steiner insisted on talking about Christ as central to everything, and the importance of Christianity (not apostate Christianity, but true Christianity).
How would you summarize the main differences between apostate Christianity and true Christianity? I'm assuming true Christianity in this context is referring to the ancient Christian traditions that many of us refer to as gnostic and apocryphal, right? I'm very interested in the idea of this topic, though I have not done much digging yet.