Make personal covenants with God

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Make personal covenants with God

Post by Original_Intent »

Conference has reminded me that we should be pondering the covenants that we have made and striving to better live up to the promises we made. We also know that no covenant is in force until it has been sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise (at least, I think we know that.)

As I have been thinking about these things, the thought came to me that we should also strive to make personal covenants with the Lord as guided by the spirit. One such covenant that comes to mind made by a non-LDS but which I also feel that some here have made (perhaps not formally, but their spirits have made it) is Thomas Jefferson's declaration
"“I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.” ― Thomas Jefferson
There was no priesthood authority, at least on this side of the veil, yet this strikes me as explicitly covenant-making.

I think in order to be ready for the things coming that were spoken of Sunday morning, that for me and possibly for all of us that it is important for all of us to find those things that are so dear to us that we hold our lives as valueless in comparison to them and to then stand as firmly on those bedrock principles.

HeberC
captain of 100

Re: Make personal covenants with God

Post by HeberC »

I believe that only God covenants with man and man is not the initiator of covenants. God is not our servant.

When I promised to do the Lord's will, even at the cost of my life, the Holy Ghost answered me in the most powerful way. I had, unknowingly, committed my heart 100% to a covenant the Lord offered me in the Pre-existence. Again, it is the Lord that covenants with us.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

HeberC wrote: October 4th, 2022, 5:53 pm I believe that only God covenants with man and man is not the initiator of covenants. God is not our servant.

When I promised to do the Lord's will, even at the cost of my life, the Holy Ghost answered me in the most powerful way. I had, unknowingly, committed my heart 100% to a covenant the Lord offered me in the Pre-existence. Again, it is the Lord that covenants with us.
I agree that the Lord initiates and sets the terms of all covenants. But by that same token, do not for one minute think that God's covenants are only administered in temples or are the same for all. A perfect example of this was His covenant with Samson wherein God granted him great physical strength. He certainly never covenanted as such with me (super human strength), and not with any other known subject in the scriptures.

So I believe it is safe to say that God can covenant whatever He wishes with whomever He wishes. It is also highly possible that in the case of Thomas Jefferson, that God through his Holy Spirit impressed that covenant upon his soul. We have to leave room for that possibility and not assume that Jefferson took the liberty of declaring the terms of his own covenant.

Our own patriarchal blessings could be considered in a similar light. Unique blessings promised to us as individuals, conditional upon abiding specific terms.

Also, it would be foolish to believe that God would only make covenants with Mormons, and only in temples (as much as the LDS would like to put him in their carefully crafted little boxes). God manifests himself in varying ways and degrees and communes with all people who exercise faith in Him.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

HeberC wrote: October 4th, 2022, 5:53 pm I believe that only God covenants with man and man is not the initiator of covenants. God is not our servant.

By definition a covenant is a promise by both parties.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say "God covenants with man" but "God is not our servant". You seem to be contradicting yourself.
You're saying God always starts covenants and we agree to them. I can see that argument.
Actually, I'm not 100% sure what you're saying. Can you clarify?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

I think your disagreement comes more from not understanding my meaning than anything, and that's probably on me for not stating it well.
We already have covenanted to the law of consecration; I am suggesting that this has little to nothing to do with turning everything over to the bishop and then receiving a stewardship back as it is to live consecrated lives. I know a man that consecrated his life to teaching martial arts, and his teaching has had a profound impact on my life and the lives of dozens if not hundreds of people. He did not just teach fighting techniques, but a deep philosophical approach that concentrated on the development of mind, body and spirit (Ther name of the4 style means the way of the joining of the strength of the mind, body, and spirit). I feel that the founding fathers who pledged their lives, fortunes andd sacred honor to the principles they held dear lived consecrated lives in a real way, even though they never, under priesthood authority, made a covenant of consecration.

So perhaps a better way of saying what I said is to encourage people to honor the law of consecration as they have already covenanted to do (if they have received their endowment). That covenant is not a promise to live the law at some future time when the church enacts some program of property redistribution, it needs to be kept in the here and now and exactly how we do that requires receiving it from God. It is not simpoly waiting to be told to do something (commanded in all things) by your priesthood leaders.

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

'definition' aside, a covenant from God is literally that. I don't have the authority to impose my will on God. If I want something from Him and it is what He wants, He will make it so... not because of my will but because of his.

The wording of things in the temple raise some red flags, with me. 'The philosophies of man, mingled with scriptures' is the best definition of "religion" I can think of. I am a convert and I have never considered myself religious. Spiritual communication from God is my anchor. I see no reason to downgrade.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

+1