Emotional regulation?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Emotional regulation?

Post by Lizzy60 »

Remind me how old “Activity Day Girls” are.

From my ward announcements ————-

Activity Day girls meet this Wednesday at 7.
We’re going to be talking about emotional regulation, can’t wait to see you!

————————————-

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Re: Emotional regulation?

Post by zionssuburb »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:36 pm Remind me how old “Activity Day Girls” are.

————————————-
8 - 11, most wards I've been in separate them into older and younger kids. like a Jr. Activities Day and Sr. Activities Day.

Handbook 12.3.6

Activity Leaders
Primary activity leaders minister to children as they plan service and activities beginning in January of the year children turn 8 (see 12.2.1.3). Service and activities focus on the work of salvation and exaltation. They are fun and engaging. They build testimonies, strengthen families, and foster personal growth.

Primary activity leaders can be the children’s Primary teachers. They can also be other members the Primary presidency recommends and the bishopric calls. At least two leaders attend each activity. Leaders can be two women, two men, or a married couple. Leaders must complete the training at ProtectingChildren.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. (See 12.5.1.)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

As long as they hit tennis balls etc as they learn emotional regulation - why not? 8-) When I was in charge, I tried to focus on the activity part - we had fun! All kinds of things.

It beats cult indoctrination, profit worship etc. But I get how these girls are a bit young for such a topic more needed for relief society & elders quorum. :P

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Thinker wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm As long as they hit tennis balls etc as they learn emotional regulation - why not? 8-) When I was in charge, I tried to focus on the activity part - we had fun! All kinds of things.

It beats cult indoctrination, profit worship etc. But I get how these girls are a bit young for such a topic more needed for relief society & elders quorum. :P
Maybe my ward is dealing with some autism issues. It just struck me as unusual. I think I would have said we will be hitting tennis balls, and then sneak in the emotional regulation stuff!

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:36 pm Remind me how old “Activity Day Girls” are.

————————————-
I would have taken a hard pass on that one…and called out the leader. I have two girls in activity days and when one leader started pushing the yoga and rainbows garbage to “teach kids how to stay calm through covid”, that’s when she got a text and phone call from me asking her to please keep the lessons about Jesus, not deep breathing and rainbows.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:23 pm
Thinker wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:44 pm As long as they hit tennis balls etc as they learn emotional regulation - why not? 8-) When I was in charge, I tried to focus on the activity part - we had fun! All kinds of things.

Maybe my ward is dealing with some autism issues. It just struck me as unusual. I think I would have said we will be hitting tennis balls, and then sneak in the emotional regulation stuff!
As an adult with autism, I can tell you that emotional regulation is a critical issue. It is something that has plagued me my entire life. In adulthood and after decades of carefully selecting "tools" for my toolbox that help me to regulate on an emotional level, I can function with a high degree of neurotypical behavior.

There are still times of severe dis-regulation (ask my wife or children, G-d bless them). I still do not understand emotion.

At all.

When I watch a movie or see people in the store, I think they are all either 1) angry, 2) sad, or 3) happy. There are no other emotions that I can successfully interpret from facial expressions or body language.

As a rabbi, I have become quite good at asking careful questions to determine someone's emotional state.

If someone lies to me, I can almost never tell.

I can be sarcastic, but if someone is sarcastic with me, I have an extremely difficult time telling that they are being sarcastic. I tend to take what people say at face value.

At some point in the past, I "learned" that the things I say are not always socially acceptable and that they will result in me getting made fun of, bullied, or...well, worse.

In short...if your ward (correct term?) is going to talk about emotional regulation...especially if there is a kiddo with ASD, then I say, may G-d bless that endeavor.

I wish someone had cared enough or understood enough to walk me through it when I was young.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

AkalAish wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:39 pm

As an adult with autism, I can tell you that emotional regulation is a critical issue. It is something that has plagued me my entire life. In adulthood and after decades of carefully selecting "tools" for my toolbox that help me to regulate on an emotional level, I can function with a high degree of neurotypical behavior.

There are still times of severe dis-regulation (ask my wife or children, G-d bless them). I still do not understand emotion.

At all.

When I watch a movie or see people in the store, I think they are all either 1) angry, 2) sad, or 3) happy. There are no other emotions that I can successfully interpret from facial expressions or body language.

As a rabbi, I have become quite good at asking careful questions to determine someone's emotional state.

I can be sarcastic, but if someone is sarcastic with me, I have an extremely difficult time telling that they are being sarcastic. I tend to take what people say at face value.

At some point in the past, I "learned" that the things I say are not always socially acceptable and that they will result in me getting made fun of, bullied, or...well, worse.

In short...if your ward (correct term?) is going to talk about emotional regulation...especially if there is a kiddo with ASD, then I say, may G-d bless that endeavor.

I wish someone had cared enough or understood enough to walk me through it when I was young.
I know you were responding to Lizzy, but I just wanted to add a comment to your statement, if that is okay?

In short, people in the church really aren’t qualified to be instructing in this manner.

Also, I am on the spectrum as well and understand much of what you refer to as “not understanding emotion”. For a female on the spectrum it is easier to learn how to respond correctly by observation and then mask how others behave in the appropriate settings. Men apparently can’t or don’t see this the same, as you’ve already mentioned you struggle with it.

It is a kind thought to some who see that working with youth in the church on these issues would be noteworthy, but the problem with this is that the church has had issues with overstepping boundaries. This could very well be one area…kind of like the public schools teaching things that parents should only be teaching. Emotional regulation just is not an area appropriate for church personnel to be addressing in that manner. Now if they said…”Hey girls, we’re going to learn how to be a good sportsman/woman and teach kindness and forgiveness! See you soon!” Or to someone on the spectrum you could say, “Do as I’m doing…or do to others the things Jesus would want you to do….” that would be more appropriate.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

FoundMyEden wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:06 pm

At all.

I know you were responding to Lizzy, but I just wanted to add a comment to your statement, if that is okay?

In short, people in the church really aren’t qualified to be instructing in this manner.

Also, I am on the spectrum as well and understand much of what you refer to as “not understanding emotion”. For a female on the spectrum it is easier to learn how to respond correctly by observation and then mask how others behave in the appropriate settings. Men apparently can’t or don’t see this the same, as you’ve already mentioned you struggle with it.

It is a kind thought to some who see that working with youth in the church on these issues would be noteworthy, but the problem with this is that the church has had issues with overstepping boundaries. This could very well be one area…kind of like the public schools teaching things that parents should only be teaching. Emotional regulation just is not an area appropriate for church personnel to be addressing in that manner. Now if they said…”Hey girls, we’re going to learn how to be a good sportsman/woman and teach kindness and forgiveness! See you soon!” Or to someone on the spectrum you could say, “Do as I’m doing…or do to others the things Jesus would want you to do….” that would be more appropriate.
I appreciate your comments so much. I was not aware of the qualifications (or lack thereof) of those who would be initiating the instruction. I agree that this would be, albeit well-intentioned, problematic for someone on the spectrum.

I have, over the years, become something of an expert at masking. During my childhood and youth, this was undoubtedly a way of protecting myself. As an adult, it was seen as disingenuous at best and dangerous at worse. Now, after speaking with therapists and other trusted friends...I am not so sure that I see it as a bad thing.

For me, it has been (and often still is) a means of survival. Much like stimming.

And now I have gotten far off topic. Again. Thank you again for sharing...both with regard to the education by individuals in your communities as well as your experience with ASD.

May I ask you...do you think there would be benefit to have a general ASD thread on here? Or would it turn into something ugly?

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

AkalAish wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:18 pm

At all.

I appreciate your comments so much. I was not aware of the qualifications (or lack thereof) of those who would be initiating the instruction. I agree that this would be, albeit well-intentioned, problematic for someone on the spectrum.

I have, over the years, become something of an expert at masking. During my childhood and youth, this was undoubtedly a way of protecting myself. As an adult, it was seen as disingenuous at best and dangerous at worse. Now, after speaking with therapists and other trusted friends...I am not so sure that I see it as a bad thing.

For me, it has been (and often still is) a means of survival. Much like stimming.

And now I have gotten far off topic. Again. Thank you again for sharing...both with regard to the education by individuals in your communities as well as your experience with ASD.

May I ask you...do you think there would be benefit to have a general ASD thread on here? Or would it turn into something ugly?
You are very welcome and I appreciate you see my comments as helpful. Many times others have seen them as hurtful when they were not meant to be that way. Bringing up an emotional regulation thread (on part of Lizzy…thank you) has brought up your question of having a general thread regarding to ASD and if it would be beneficial as I don’t believe it would turn ugly? My answer would be absolutely beneficial for many…at least for myself. :)

I don’t believe I have started even one thread since being on here so again I would probably just learn by observation and respond when one was started.
(Sorry for derailing the thread @Lizzy60 but this could be a great opportunity for a new one @AkalAish. :))

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

FoundMyEden wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:31 pm

At all.

You are very welcome and I appreciate you see my comments as helpful. Many times others have seen them as hurtful when they were not meant to be that way. Bringing up an emotional regulation thread (on part of Lizzy…thank you) has brought up your question of having a general thread regarding to ASD and if it would be beneficial as I don’t believe it would turn ugly? My answer would be absolutely beneficial for many…at least for myself. :)

I don’t believe I have started even one thread since being on here so again I would probably just learn by observation and respond when one was started.
(Sorry for derailing the thread @Lizzy60 but this could be a great opportunity for a new one @AkalAish. :))
Thank you again, and yes, I add my apologies, Lizzy60, for not sticking to topic. I assure you I harbored no ill intentions.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

At all.

Not derailed at all. I have two teen grandkids on the spectrum, although not typical autism, and there have been problems with well-meaning adults who think they can “help” them when they really have no training or experience, and do not even know what my grandkids are diagnosed with. I could see either of them having a complete meltdown if they felt that an emotional regulation class was targeted at them, even if it wasn’t meant that way.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

It seems to me that the whole discussion has been on-topic.
Y’all expressed my concerns better than I could have. Thanks!

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Good to know!

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:38 pm

Not derailed at all. I have two teen grandkids on the spectrum, although not typical autism, and there have been problems with well-meaning adults who think they can “help” them when they really have no training or experience, and do not even know what my grandkids are diagnosed with. I could see either of them having a complete meltdown if they felt that an emotional regulation class was targeted at them, even if it wasn’t meant that way.
My prayers are with your grandkids! Although probably more with the well meaning adults thinking they are helping.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

It might be coincidence, but we noticed in our ward that after the church made a bunch of changes to satisfy Katie Mormon Parry, or whatever her name was, that as the Bishopric was involved less in YW the Adult Women had many more 'emotional healing' activities with the girls. It created so many issues in our ward.

Volunteer teachers are not trained counselors.

Church has said to stay away from therapy that encourages a person to confess sins or reveal past abuse to a group. I don't know why local leaders think talking about emotions helps kids more than teaching them the Gospel.

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Post by zionssuburb »

If they are aware, this should be based on the church Self-Reliance - Emotional Resilience guide. This guide, in groups I'm part of, has been reviewed by family therapists, psychologists, etc.. It's very basic, yet extremely useful education to help our youth walk the journey of the world they live in.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e?lang=eng

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FoundMyEden wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:31 pm

————————————-
I would have taken a hard pass on that one…and called out the leader. I have two girls in activity days and when one leader started pushing the yoga and rainbows garbage to “teach kids how to stay calm through covid”, that’s when she got a text and phone call from me asking her to please keep the lessons about Jesus, not deep breathing and rainbows.
Breathing exercises can be extremely helpful and I believe we should encourage them over medication where possible. For example, I know someone who was having anxiety attacks due to divorce proceedings and I taught him to do breathing exercises before these stressful situations. (Along with prayer, that goes without saying.)

I also have a female friend who's medicated, but still stresses out. She's used drink to handle it. She started yoga a couple of weeks ago and the difference is incredible. Not only did she look healthier, after her first session, but she's much easier to interact with, less jittery etc. That was me noticing this, not her. I believe this is because the body holds in a lot of psychological tensions and our mind/body dualism in the west, and certain exercises can get rid of that.

These are things that are useful to teach people. As long as it doesn't go too far into Hindu territory.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:22 pmBreathing exercises can be extremely helpful and I believe we should encourage them over medication where possible. For example, I know someone who was having anxiety attacks due to divorce proceedings and I taught him to do breathing exercises before these stressful situations. (Along with prayer, that goes without saying.)

I also have a female friend who's medicated, but still stresses out. She's used drink to handle it. She started yoga a couple of weeks ago and the difference is incredible. Not only did she look healthier, after her first session, but she's much easier to interact with, less jittery etc. That was me noticing this, not her. I believe this is because the body holds in a lot of psychological tensions and our mind/body dualism in the west, and certain exercises can get rid of that.

These are things that are useful to teach people. As long as it doesn't go too far into Hindu territory.
Definitely breathing exercises can help a lot! Yoga taught me to “breathe through stress.”

Maybe because appeal to emotion & emotional reasoning are so often used to deceive about evil (homosexuality/gender changes etc)… there’s a tendency to dismiss or be angry with anything to do with emotion in a teaching setting. Some concern is surely justified considering how many lds youth teachers lean toward evil identity politics etc. However, who is going to say “It’s bad to regulate your emotions. You should flip out!” :)

Emotional intelligence - the ability to understand & respond well to one’s own & others’ emotions is not only associated with success… but also keeping the greatest commandments - to love others as oneself.

Still, this topic can be heavy for kids & personally as an Activity Days Leader, I never chose it. We hiked, played tennis, wrote cards & took them to an elderly home, sewed etc… you know “active” things.

Btw, Activity may be key to overcome depression. Depress: to hold down, be inactive.
Last edited by Thinker on October 6th, 2022, 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

Numerous techniques in which gospel principles may be found can help one process emotions.

The following demonstrates one way to transform natural-man tendencies such as fighting back, playing the victim, and denial into a beneficial, even a health-promoting experience. Demonstrated is but one way to apply the technique.

"Awakening Your Body's Energies with George Leonard":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4I_-7ugCWc

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Niemand wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:22 pm

————————————-
Breathing exercises can be extremely helpful and I believe we should encourage them over medication where possible. For example, I know someone who was having anxiety attacks due to divorce proceedings and I taught him to do breathing exercises before these stressful situations. (Along with prayer, that goes without saying.)

I believe Jesus taught mindfulness and meditation but it was not in the same application as the what the activity days teacher was supposing in the letter sent out to the kids. Thanks for your thoughts though. :)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FoundMyEden wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:12 pm

————————————-

I believe Jesus taught mindfulness and meditation but it was not in the same application as the what the activity days teacher was supposing in the letter sent out to the kids. Thanks for your thoughts though. :)
I don't obviously know what was in the letter, because you didn't provide much detail, there is nothing wrong with breathing exercises in the proper context. They can help with mental health and physical pain issues.

Obviously if there are mantras and the rest, or indoctrination, then that is to be avoided.

We should always pray, but I don't think God is against these techniques so long as they do not contradict the gospel.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

————————————-

Wait, are you Lizzy (same person who wrote OP)?

Some people here have +1 accounts/usernames.

What was the teacher supposing in the letter to the kids?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Thinker wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:42 pm

I only have one account. I posted what was on my ward FB page. The Found My Eden described what her ward was doing, and she got a letter because her child was Activity Days age. That letter, with more detail, is what is being discussed. I have no idea what was done in my ward at their “emotional regulation” activity.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

————————————-
https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sit ... kultra.pdf

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:45 pm
Thinker wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:42 pm
FoundMyEden wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:12 pmI believe Jesus taught mindfulness and meditation but it was not in the same application as the what the activity days teacher was supposing in the letter sent out to the kids. Thanks for your thoughts though. :)

I only have one account. I posted what was on my ward FB page. The Found My Eden described what her ward was doing, and she got a letter because her child was Activity Days age. That letter, with more detail, is what is being discussed. I have no idea what was done in my ward at their “emotional regulation” activity.
Maybe I missed it but I saw no mention of “Found-My-Eden”’s letter with more detail. Apparently I’m not the only one who didn’t notice more detail. What was the teacher supposing?