Shortages

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Re: Shortages

Post by blitzinstripes »

harakim wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:32 am
TheDuke wrote: January 13th, 2022, 10:20 am I searched for ammo for my new gun. 380 ACP, very tiny. It took me many searches to find the bullets in stock and the standard price box at $13 was $40 at cheapest, plus shipping. There is none at any store. In fact, when I picked up my pistol at Cabelas/BassPro, the manage made the comment. "previously they tried to control gun sales and everyone complained, now they control the ammo, and no one even realizes it, they are very smart,"
It's still available. I don't know what you mean by a box - I assume 50 rds. - but you can get it for ~50c/round.
https://utahgunexchange.com/?s=380&sa=search&scat=94
Best place to find ammo currently is at smaller local guns shops, guns shows, or local networking. For some reason it's the big box stores that are unable to maintain supply. Bass Pro is cleaned out but my local gun shops have plenty.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

This morning when I said my prayers, I was prompted to remember senior citizens. I need to do more than pray for others' well being. I need to take some food baskets to my elderly neighbors. This inflation is really hurting those on a fixed income. I do not want them choosing whether to buy their meds or food!

Because I have been given much....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I've been knitting socks for years - out of "exotic" yarn - "superwash wool". It's not really exotic, but since it is so hard to find - and will be even harder to find down the road, I've been experimenting with "fisherman's wool", which you can sometimes get at Walmart, and definitely at JoAnns/ michaels/ hobby lobby / just about anywhere that sells wool. During WWI, EVERYONE was knitting for the soldiers - cold feet is something you do not want in a survival / war situation:

Anyway, I came up with a pattern and method that works - two at a time from the toes up (so you can try them on as you go for the perfect fit) - and when I wear them in my boots at the cabin when it's 20 degrees out, I don't notice the cold. When I wear my cotton socks in the same environment, my feet stay cold all night, no matter what I do.

Yes, it's itchy. get used to it. They last longer than any other sock I've ever worn - I still have the first pair of wool socks I knitted from 12 years ago. Moths got some holes in them, but I fixed it, and they are still good. I need to write down the pattern. Any knitters out there?

The cool thing about the fisherman's wool is stuff knits up quicker - I can make these socks in a weekend if I spend some time on them. Conference weekend is a great time to knit....

Knitting is a great skill to pass the cold winter months when you can't be out gardening or hiking or whatever, and it's productive. Equipment is just needles and yarn.

Also, been experimenting with a small 8" loom - I don't think I'll ever need to make fabric, but it's not a bad skill to know. Making thread / yarn is the thing I should probably get better at - I have 2 spinning wheels and 20 lbs of wool. So much on my "to - do" list!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: March 11th, 2022, 5:01 am
harakim wrote: March 11th, 2022, 2:52 am
Momma J wrote: March 10th, 2022, 10:26 am Thank you for the great advice. A mental funny (because I am not great at multi-tasking this morning)
A short women's self defense course
I asked myself.... What about women who are not short? :?

I often practice drawing my handgun in different scenarios. After cleaning, while it is still empty, I practice shooting from random areas in the house because I live in an area of high rate of home invasions. Working on muscle memory
Sorry, I don't have practical advice for tall women, but I hope they figure it out themselves.
If you're in such a bad area, why wouldn't you move?
My employment is in the city. There is no safe area in Houston anymore. Some areas are worse than others, but all neighborhoods are targeted.

We bought a very humble abode in the country (150+ miles from Houston) on a few acres and are working diligently to make it our home. We have already established a good rapport with families in the area. We have planted fruit and nut trees and are beginning a decent garden.

Until we are able to move out there full time, we are practicing situational awareness at all times in the city. It is unsafe to even go to a store by yourself. Many businesses are hiring armed security but they cannot be everywhere.

While heading to my car at 5 in the morning I startled a thief rummaging through my neighbor's truck. He fired at me and hopped over a fence out of the neighborhood. .... I live in a relatively "safe" neighborhood (by Houston standards). Yet, three homes on my block were hit with home invasions in a period of two months. I believe they bypassed us because of the Rottweiler. I had a guy trying to kick in boards on our privacy fence with my Rottweiler grabbing his leg through the hole. He still kept trying to get in. The Sheriff's dept was out quick and told me next time to shoot. The guy was high and oblivious to the damage to his leg.

If people in the city want to know what it will be like when things go south????? Just take my meager examples of wanton crime and amplify them.
...and in the country, if your neighbors like you, they'll call you anytime something suspicious happens on your property while you aren't there. All my new neighbors have my phone number. We all know when a car drives down the road that isn't from around here.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mudflap wrote: March 11th, 2022, 12:21 pm
Momma J wrote: March 11th, 2022, 5:01 am
harakim wrote: March 11th, 2022, 2:52 am
Momma J wrote: March 10th, 2022, 10:26 am Thank you for the great advice. A mental funny (because I am not great at multi-tasking this morning)

I asked myself.... What about women who are not short? :?

I often practice drawing my handgun in different scenarios. After cleaning, while it is still empty, I practice shooting from random areas in the house because I live in an area of high rate of home invasions. Working on muscle memory
Sorry, I don't have practical advice for tall women, but I hope they figure it out themselves.
If you're in such a bad area, why wouldn't you move?
My employment is in the city. There is no safe area in Houston anymore. Some areas are worse than others, but all neighborhoods are targeted.

We bought a very humble abode in the country (150+ miles from Houston) on a few acres and are working diligently to make it our home. We have already established a good rapport with families in the area. We have planted fruit and nut trees and are beginning a decent garden.

Until we are able to move out there full time, we are practicing situational awareness at all times in the city. It is unsafe to even go to a store by yourself. Many businesses are hiring armed security but they cannot be everywhere.

While heading to my car at 5 in the morning I startled a thief rummaging through my neighbor's truck. He fired at me and hopped over a fence out of the neighborhood. .... I live in a relatively "safe" neighborhood (by Houston standards). Yet, three homes on my block were hit with home invasions in a period of two months. I believe they bypassed us because of the Rottweiler. I had a guy trying to kick in boards on our privacy fence with my Rottweiler grabbing his leg through the hole. He still kept trying to get in. The Sheriff's dept was out quick and told me next time to shoot. The guy was high and oblivious to the damage to his leg.

If people in the city want to know what it will be like when things go south????? Just take my meager examples of wanton crime and amplify them.
...and in the country, if your neighbors like you, they'll call you anytime something suspicious happens on your property while you aren't there. All my new neighbors have my phone number. We all know when a car drives down the road that isn't from around here.
My country neighbors to the west of us ride their golf cart up and wave each time we come out. They are always making certain that it is us and not a thief at the property. As a small token of thanks, I bake an extra loaf of bread when I go out, so that I can share with them.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

This must be the official product shortage thread. I was going to start one but a search revealed this one.

Today at the local Associated Food Store, no hydrogen peroxide, no ear wax dissolver. Manager said there was none available to them. They have been out over a month. They was also out of push pins but I found some at Family Dollar. Ice Cream is still in short supply.

There are 404 Associated Food Stores locations in the United States as of January 04, 2022. The state with the most number of Associated Food Stores locations in the US is Utah, with 167 locations, which is 41% of all Associated Food Stores locations in America.