General Conference October 2022 - Sunday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

Post by Artaxerxes »

endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:43 am
Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:39 am
TheDuke wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:28 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am “Apostolic witness”

There’s that mushy terminology again.

Elder Holland, what’s the difference between an apostolic witness, and my witness?
exactly what I exclaimed when he said this? I've heard it before but what is it?
An Apostolic witness is a "Special Witness" Meaning they know him and have been commissioned by him. They have seen him and have received a special sacred witness. President Faust talks about it here, most miss exactly what he is saying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxandXWbUk
That’s because he doesn’t say what you insinuate he’s saying. Nobody’s missing it, you’re adding it.

President Oaks, on the other hand, explicitly states that as far as he knows, none of the 15 have had the type of witness you blithely claim they have.
That is not what he said.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

francisco.colaco wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:41 am

Elder Holland, what’s the difference between an apostolic witness, and my witness?
exactly what I exclaimed when he said this? I've heard it before but what is it?
See D&C 107:23 -- the apostolic witness is a special witness to all the world. Your witness is ordinary and yours only.
Thanks for the scripture:

“The ​​​twelve​ traveling councilors are called to be the Twelve ​​​Apostles​, or special ​​​witnesses​ of the name of Christ in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.”

I ask again, what makes them “special witnesses”? If they got their testimony the same way I got mine, that makes it “ordinary”, as you put it.

Or maybe it’s special because of the number of frequent flyer miles they have?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

seems like apostolic witness is a weaker statement of the old "I would not have a more powerful testimony if the Lord was here"..... as they used to allude to but now it gets them too many questions, so it becomes this more watered down version. If they saw Christ they could just say it IMO.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Another great talk, this one by Elder Gong.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:45 am
Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:42 am
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:40 am
Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:37 am

I think you probably have to use a lot more aliteration in your public speaking for your witness to be as apostolic as his. As far as I can tell, that’s the difference.
😂😂.... Oh pazooka, you sure know how to make us chuckle
And you, my friend, get the Pazooka Good Sportsmanship award. You’re awesome that way.

Meanwhile, I think we have a strong contender for the best tie. I had a hunch it might have been him:
Yeah That is a sharp tie. I bet Cristoferson gives him a run for the money tho
Umm….Not this time, I think
Attachments
94D2DDDC-AD9A-4832-98F4-FCCFDAEB3249.jpeg
94D2DDDC-AD9A-4832-98F4-FCCFDAEB3249.jpeg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:53 am
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:45 am
Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:42 am
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:40 am
😂😂.... Oh pazooka, you sure know how to make us chuckle
And you, my friend, get the Pazooka Good Sportsmanship award. You’re awesome that way.

Meanwhile, I think we have a strong contender for the best tie. I had a hunch it might have been him:
Yeah That is a sharp tie. I bet Cristoferson gives him a run for the money tho
Umm….Not this time, I think
Ewwww, you're right. I concede my defeat.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

An Apostolic witness is a "Special Witness" Meaning they know him and have been commissioned by him. They have seen him and have received a special sacred witness. President Faust talks about it here, most miss exactly what he is saying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxandXWbUk
That’s because he doesn’t say what you insinuate he’s saying. Nobody’s missing it, you’re adding it.

President Oaks, on the other hand, explicitly states that as far as he knows, none of the 15 have had the type of witness you blithely claim they have.
You are so full of it, did you listen to it above? He says it right there.

If you have done any study at all you would know there are over 50 statements by apostles that they have seen christ. Those are just the ones that wanted to share.... I have seen Christ and i know they have expereincced much more than me. Tired of everyone saying there are no miracles.

Have you ever listened to this talk by matthew cowley, can you listen to this whole talk and call him a liar? https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/matthew-cowley/miracles/

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:15 am
Jeffery R Holland wrote: …the crosses we bear rather than the ones we wear.
I used to like Holland… up until his talk where he made the false claim that since the BoM is true, that it’s ALL true. Oh, and when he was caught lying to the BBC reporter.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:56 am
I used to like Holland… up until his talk where he made the false claim that since the BoM is true, that it’s ALL true. Oh, and when he was caught lying to the BBC reporter.
I’m sorry you don’t like him anymore. Did you listen to his talk this morning? If not, I think you should find it and watch it or read it.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 am

See D&C 107:23 -- the apostolic witness is a special witness to all the world. Your witness is ordinary and yours only.

“The ​​​twelve​ traveling councilors are called to be the Twelve ​​​Apostles​, or special ​​​witnesses​ of the name of Christ in all the world—thus differing from other officers in the church in the duties of their calling.”

I ask again, what makes them “special witnesses”? If they got their testimony the same way I got mine, that makes it “ordinary”, as you put it.

this scripture talks about their mission or task. It says nothing about a witness. Are you saying that an apostolic witness is just saying. It it my job to witness to I'm saying it?

francisco.colaco
captain of 100

Post by francisco.colaco »

endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 am Thanks for the scripture:

Hey, they have their witness. I have mine. Pungent as mine is, I wonder how much more special theirs can be.

I do not question their witness. They seem well-meaning, good people to me. That normally suffices for me. One person is measured by his friends and his detractors. I do not know the friends of the apostles, but by the likes of their detractors, they must be heavenly people.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Intermediate hymn: We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet.

It was written by my 3rd great grandfather. A few years back I was inspired to write a fourth verse:
We’ll build up thy kingdom together,
United as one we will stand,
As we watch for the coming of our Savior
Who saves us with wounds in His hands.
Hosanna! The trumpets are sounding!
He hath gathered us under His wings.
We thank thee for Jesus, our Shepherd,
Who now reigneth as King of all kings.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Elder Siati wrote: The miraculous irony of it is that when we focus our best efforts on loving God and others, we are enabled to discover our own true divine worth as sons and daughters of God.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 am
I’m sorry you don’t like him anymore. Did you listen to his talk this morning? If not, I think you should find it and watch it or read it.
No, I don’t listen to conference. I’d prefer to read the scriptures and what Christ taught us. These men are imposters, they have the appearance of righteousness. Sure, for the average members these talks are fine, but there is much more to this apostate church.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

TheDuke wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:59 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 am

this scripture talks about their mission or task. It says nothing about a witness. Are you saying that an apostolic witness is just saying. It it my job to witness to I'm saying it?
The scripture says their mission is to be a special witness of the name of Christ.

I’m just asking, what is it about their witnessing that’s special? Synonyms for special can be unique, different, etc. So what is it that’s different or unique about an apostolic witness?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

President Lund wrote: Let there be no doubt, it is the very stuff of heroes displayed by our youth when they set their hearts and minds to standing upright against the shifting moral tectonics of our time.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:06 am Intermediate hymn: We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet.

It was written by my 3rd great grandfather. A few years back I was inspired to write a fourth verse:
We’ll build up thy kingdom together,
United as one we will stand,
As we watch for the coming of our Savior
Who saves us with wounds in His hands.
Hosanna! The trumpets are sounding!
He hath gathered us under His wings.
We thank thee for Jesus, our Shepherd,
Who now reigneth as King of all kings.
That's an awesome verse you wrote and feels like it could fit right in the original!

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:09 am
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 am
No, I don’t listen to conference. I’d prefer to read the scriptures and what Christ taught us. These men are imposters, they have the appearance of righteousness. Sure, for the average members these talks are fine, but there is much more to this apostate church.
So you agree with Elder Renlund that you don’t need to pray about another’s truth claims? I guess there’s nothing to pray about if you didn’t listen it or read it. Ignorance is bliss.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:56 am

You are so full of it, did you listen to it above? He says it right there.

If you have done any study at all you would know there are over 50 statements by apostles that they have seen christ. Those are just the ones that wanted to share.... I have seen Christ and i know they have expereincced much more than me. Tired of everyone saying there are no miracles.

Have you ever listened to this talk by matthew cowley, can you listen to this whole talk and call him a liar? https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/matthew-cowley/miracles/
so you want to quote a 70 year old talk for modern witness? I see an issue here. I also read/watched the referenced comments by Oaks from this century and this decade and he says the opposite. So where is the reality? If they have a physical witness, say it, Paul did, Peter did, Nephi did, etc... they were surely apostles.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

francisco.colaco wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:05 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:48 am Thanks for the scripture:

Hey, they have their witness. I have mine. Pungent as mine is, I wonder how much more special theirs can be.

I do not question their witness. They seem well-meaning, good people to me. That normally suffices for me. One person is measured by his friends and his detractors. I do not know the friends of the apostles, but by the likes of their detractors, they must be heavenly people.
Fair enough.

But I would suggest that our Master might not have had to warn us about wolves in sheep clothing if we could simply trust the fact that they “seem to be well meaning, good people”. And that measuring a person by their friends and detractors is strange doctrine that makes me uneasy, when I think we really ought to measure a person by their actions and any inspiration we receive from the Spirit regarding the state of their heart. After all, two of the people President Nelson appears to have befriended lately are Pope Francis and Jacinda Ardern… not exactly the greatest company.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Is it just me or does Bednar have a spiritual Samurai mustache?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:16 am Is it just me or does Bednar have a spiritual Samurai mustache?
Attachments
AEC1A195-9CCB-4140-B12E-756DA9427197.jpeg
AEC1A195-9CCB-4140-B12E-756DA9427197.jpeg (114.5 KiB) Viewed 501 times

logonbump
captain of 100

Post by logonbump »

Bednar garment-shaming everyone now that lacks the holy robe because rebellion

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Choosing to be chosen?

These guys crack me up!

Words have meaning, folks…

“I identify as chosen, so you have to let me in” isn’t going to fly.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Elder Oaks - youth fireside 1/23/16 in WA https://youtu.be/GrMJ2YZD62M

Question from Heather: What should we pray for to receive the same testimony, if not conversion, that Alma the Younger experienced for our friends that aren’t (inaudible)?
Answer from Oaks: What should you pray for to have the kind of experience that Alma the Younger had? I don’t think you’re likely to have the kind of experience that Alma the Younger had. Remember that he had a miraculous appearance of an angel and really got hit over the head spiritually. Most of us don’t have that kind of experience. But I interpret your question, Heather, as being how can we get the kind of testimony that he rec’d? I don’t think we’ll get it like Paul did on the road to where the angel appeared to him or where Alma the Younger had that startling experience. The Lord gives a few of those kinds of experiences and they are recorded in the Scriptures to catch our attention and teach us the answer, but I’ve never had an experience like that and I don’t know anyone among the first presidency or Quorum of the 12 who have had that kind of experience, yet every one of us knows of a certainty the things that Alma knew. But it’s just that, unless the Lord chooses to do another way, which He sometimes does, for millions and millions of his children, a testimony settles upon us gradually like so much dust on a windowsill (inaudible). One day you didn’t have it and another day you did and you don’t know which day it happened. That’s the way I got my testimony, and then I knew it was true and it continued to grow, and what you have to do to get that is first of all to desire it. As I explained earlier, when I was your age I don’t think I had the level of desire that I wish I had had. We desire it, and then we do our best to keep the Commandments so the Lord can fulfill for us that promise that if you keep His commandments you will know that it’s true. And then you study the Scriptures which are a personal Urim and Thummim.......
You desire, you keep the Commandments, and you read the scriptures, and then you listen because revelation comes not as Alma the Younger got it with an angel to hit you over the head, paralyze you, knock you out. That was a big, big deal. But in my experience, revelation comes in a still, small voice. The Lord doesn’t shout. He only whispers. ...... To hear it you pray and study the Scriptures, go to church, do your duty, partake of the sacrament and then the still small voice will communicate with you. That’s my experience of how to have the result that Alma the Younger had.