General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

Post by Pazooka »

This floral arrangement has me kind of stumped but I’m picking up maybe an undersea vibe. An ode to climate change, perhaps. It’s got that international flavor but I’m not convinced that it’s cohesive - - kind of like the iron and clay of the toes belonging to Nebuchadnezzar’s dream image.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by JuneBug12000 »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:27 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:23 pm I was sorely disappointed in Elder Renlund's talk today. An evil spirit teaches a man not to pray.
I don't believe that was Elder Renlund's purpose.

I think what he was saying is that somethings you don't need to say a specific formal prayer about.

"Hey God tells me that you should help me go murder this person. You should pray to ask God to confirm this."

I don't need to say a specific prayer to know that this is wrong. Why would I ask God about this; it makes no sense.
If that was all he was saying I might agree, but given his past talks and this one, even if it was standing alone, he really pushes that we should not bother to pray about what the prophet or leaders says. We should just obey. Since the prophets sometime contradict the scriptures and the revelation God has already given me, I absolutely will pray and go with God's answer.

I know His voice. I know His fruit. I know my God and He knows me.

I notice they often say pray for confirmation of truth instead of asking if something is true. He gave some extreme examples. People who obviously were not "trying the spirits." Like that is the issue most at struggling with.

The more common problem is that the leaders are not addressing the issues of the day in the way that the Lord has taught, but change the doctrine and then acting like those of us who remember the truth are crazy, lazy, extreme, or whatever. Doctrines they taught and stood up for in the past, but no more. Yeah, change the doctrine and I will absolutely pray to know if those who call themselves apostles and prophets are correct or not. Unfortunately, the Lord has not told me to change, but hold fast to truth.

Joseph was questioning the leaders of his day and rejecting, with great opposition, the philosophies of men mingles with scripture. Was he wrong?

We live in Lehi's Jerusalem again. And like Laman and Lemuel claiming that Lehi was too judgemental and the people of Jerusalem righteous, today many would say the people like Renlund are righteous and those who would leave the wicked for a promised land are just too judgemental.

I will stand with God over man. I will not cease to pray.

I immediately grabbed my scripture at the end of his talk and read 2 Nephi 32 to my kids.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by JuneBug12000 on October 1st, 2022, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

FWIW, one of my contacts got this schedule...apparently it was made on 27 May 2022...with President Nelson and Oaks switched on Sunday morning...
Attachments
GC Schedule.png
GC Schedule.png (180.55 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Elder Anderson talking about strengthening our roots of faith in Jesus Christ for the difficult times preceding the Second Coming...

"Today and the days ahead require more focus and a consecrated effort against diversions..."

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Pazooka wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm This floral arrangement has me kind of stumped but I’m picking up maybe an undersea vibe. An ode to climate change, perhaps. It’s got that international flavor but I’m not convinced that it’s cohesive - - kind of like the iron and clay of the toes belonging to Nebuchadnezzar’s dream image.
If my eyes rolled any harder they’d fall out of my head.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm
Pazooka wrote: October 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm This floral arrangement has me kind of stumped but I’m picking up maybe an undersea vibe. An ode to climate change, perhaps. It’s got that international flavor but I’m not convinced that it’s cohesive - - kind of like the iron and clay of the toes belonging to Nebuchadnezzar’s dream image.
Give a girl something to do...the mind...so numb...ready to chew off her own hand out of starvation for words of life and light.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Sarah »

endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 5:43 pm
Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:43 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:34 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:12 pm
His talk is so conflated.

Why is he continually saying "women and men", "wives and husbands". This stupid idea of "no hierarchy" is so incredibly false. The very fact that you put one name in front of the other IS a hierarchy.

Not a good talk at all.
Worse than that. Generational damage due to this talk. On par with 14 Fundamentals damage.
Perhaps the true "generational damage" is what has been assumed to be true by past generations, but is actually a false tradition. We are all slowly coming to a more perfect knowledge of what the truth actually is.

I think the true principle is that both partners can and should share in the job of presiding and nurturing. The key is realizing that we are presiding over different family functions and activities, and not over people, which implies that people are subjects that don't have agency. So for example, instead of thinking that you preside over your children, thinking that that means they have a duty to obey you because "you preside" over them, the truth is that you preside over teaching them the gospel and you preside over protecting and providing. You preside over meetings. You can preside as partners with your wife in discipline and punishment if needed, but your wife has equal authority over something like that.

We each have different strengths that make each of us more suited for different jobs, which makes us naturally responsible to preside over that job. But we are equal partners because we both preside over different jobs. I preside over childbearing for example, as my husband presides over providing. We both can nurture, but I preside over child-care decisions. The husband can preside over protecting, and leading the family to gospel ordinances. But we each can share in the responsibility of presiding over different jobs. The job of the one presiding is also to make sure everyone feels equally respected in a council setting, is feeling heard, loved and united in agreement. If there is some disagreement, it's a false tradition to just say that the one presiding gets to go forward with whatever he or she wants. The Lord isn't going to bless that presiding officer if someone else in the group has already had the inspired idea, and the one presiding ignores is.

So instead of thinking you preside over your wife, the truth is that you preside over loving your wife and caring for her physical needs. Your wife presides over giving you children.
I sincerely wish you all the best in establishing anything useful with that philosophy while simultaneously testifying that you’ll never establish anything useful while practicing that philosophy.

I know that the idea that one group of people has been delegated authority over another group of people by divine design is a difficult one to swallow. I for one wish it wasn’t so, and indeed, most men I work with don’t even try to fulfill their roles due to the conflict it introduces into their families. But it is as it is, and any attempt to wrest the doctrine will only lead to sorrow… even if one of the prophets preaches a different philosophy at conference.
Do you think a husband has authority over his wife in directing what she does with dinner, or bed-time, with how she teaches her children, with how she chooses to make rules for them, in how she does certain chores? You would think that if he presides over her he would make sure she was doing everything "right." And she had no authority to make sure was doing things "right."

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

JuneBug12000 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:04 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:23 pm I was sorely disappointed in Elder Renlund's talk today. An evil spirit teaches a man not to pray.

I think what he was saying is that somethings you don't need to say a specific formal prayer about.

"Hey God tells me that you should help me go murder this person. You should pray to ask God to confirm this."

I don't need to say a specific prayer to know that this is wrong. Why would I ask God about this; it makes no sense.
If that was all he was saying I might agree, but given his past talks and this one, even if it was standing alone, he really pushes that we should not bother to pray about what the prophet or leaders says. We should just obey. Since the prophets sometime contradict the scriptures and the revelation God has already given me, I absolutely will pray and go with God's answer.

I notice they often say pray for confirmation of truth instead of asking if something is true. He gave some extreme examples. People who obviously were not "trying the spirits." Like that is the issue most at struggling with.

The more common problem is that the leaders are not addressing the issues of the day in the way that the Lord has taught, but change the doctrine and then acting like those of us who remember the truth are crazy, lazy, extreme, or whatever. Doctrines they taught and stood up for in the past, but no more. Yeah, change the doctrine and I will absolutely pray to know if those who call themselves apostles and prophets are correct or not. Unfortunately, the Lord has not told me to change, but hold fast to truth.

Joseph was questioning the leaders of his day and rejecting, with great opposition, the philosophies of men mingles with scripture. Was he wrong?

We live in Lehi's Jerusalem again. And like Laman and Lemuel claiming that Lehi was too judgemental and the people of Jerusalem righteous, today many would say the people like Renlund are righteous and those who would leave the wicked for a promised land are just too judgemental.

I will stand with God over man. I will it cease to pray.

I immediately grabbed my scripture at the end of his talk and read 2 Nephi 32 to my kids.
Ever wonder why we’re asked to pray about the Book of Mormon but not about if today’s prophets are real prophets? Something I wish I would’ve done years ago.
Looking back I also see they never teach about false prophets of our day that Christ warned about. I wonder why.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:13 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:34 pm

Worse than that. Generational damage due to this talk. On par with 14 Fundamentals damage.
Perhaps the true "generational damage" is what has been assumed to be true by past generations, but is actually a false tradition. We are all slowly coming to a more perfect knowledge of what the truth actually is.

I think the true principle is that both partners can and should share in the job of presiding and nurturing. The key is realizing that we are presiding over different family functions and activities, and not over people, which implies that people are subjects that don't have agency. So for example, instead of thinking that you preside over your children, thinking that that means they have a duty to obey you because "you preside" over them, the truth is that you preside over teaching them the gospel and you preside over protecting and providing. You preside over meetings. You can preside as partners with your wife in discipline and punishment if needed, but your wife has equal authority over something like that.

We each have different strengths that make each of us more suited for different jobs, which makes us naturally responsible to preside over that job. But we are equal partners because we both preside over different jobs. I preside over childbearing for example, as my husband presides over providing. We both can nurture, but I preside over child-care decisions. The husband can preside over protecting, and leading the family to gospel ordinances. But we each can share in the responsibility of presiding over different jobs. The job of the one presiding is also to make sure everyone feels equally respected in a council setting, is feeling heard, loved and united in agreement. If there is some disagreement, it's a false tradition to just say that the one presiding gets to go forward with whatever he or she wants. The Lord isn't going to bless that presiding officer if someone else in the group has already had the inspired idea, and the one presiding ignores is.

So instead of thinking you preside over your wife, the truth is that you preside over loving your wife and caring for her physical needs. Your wife presides over giving you children.
I sincerely wish you all the best in establishing anything useful with that philosophy while simultaneously testifying that you’ll never establish anything useful while practicing that philosophy.

I know that the idea that one group of people has been delegated authority over another group of people by divine design is a difficult one to swallow. I for one wish it wasn’t so, and indeed, most men I work with don’t even try to fulfill their roles due to the conflict it introduces into their families. But it is as it is, and any attempt to wrest the doctrine will only lead to sorrow… even if one of the prophets preaches a different philosophy at conference.
Do you think a husband has authority over his wife in directing what she does with dinner, or bed-time, with how she teaches her children, with how she chooses to make rules for them, in how she does certain chores? You would think that if he presides over her he would make sure she was doing everything "right." And she had no authority to make sure was doing things "right."
I think you should spend some more time learning about what it means to preside. I’m sorry if your life has been full of men who have led you to believe that this is what presiding means. I can see why you’d be wary of letting a man preside under those conditions.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:14 pm

Ever wonder why we’re asked to pray about the Book of Mormon but not about if today’s prophets are real prophets? Something I wish I would’ve done years ago.
Looking back I also see they never teach about false prophets of our day that Christ warned about. I wonder why.
Wha???

That’s just not true.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Very good talk by Neil L Andersen.

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

Remember the good old days when it was "get out of debt" and "get some food storage" and now it's "don't abuse women". Good times.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:23 pm

I think you should spend some more time learning about what it means to preside. I’m sorry if your life has been full of men who have led you to believe that this is what presiding means. I can see why you’d be wary of letting a man preside under those conditions.
Seriously . . .WTF . . .one of several things (or more is possible). He is an extreme micromanager (not good). She is completely out of control and has no mechanism to self-regulate and fulfill responsiblities (not good).

Proper leadership sets direction, tone and example.

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

To be fair, we got the "don't go into debt to buy your new wife a piano" sermon.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

I've already described what I think presiding means. This post is trying to get a better idea from you of what YOU think it means to preside and what it would look like in everything living.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:33 pm

Seriously . . .WTF . . .one of several things (or more is possible). He is an extreme micromanager (not good). She is completely out of control and has no mechanism to self-regulate and fulfill responsiblities (not good).

So what does proper leadership look like? Give me some husband/wife examples?

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:38 pm So what does proper leadership look like? Give me some husband/wife examples?
Abraham/Sarah

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm Elder Anderson talking about strengthening our roots of faith in Jesus Christ for the difficult times preceding the Second Coming...

"Today and the days ahead require more focus and a consecrated effort against diversions..."
concentrated

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:12 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm
Give a girl something to do...the mind...so numb...ready to chew off her own hand out of starvation for words of life and light.
Why are you looking for that at conference? Read your scriptures, pray, our Master will meet that need.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:38 pm

Nope. You need to go to the Savior and work this out. It’s a tough one. Good luck!

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I would say Joseph and Emma, Lehi and Sariah

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Fred wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:41 pm
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:06 pm Elder Anderson talking about strengthening our roots of faith in Jesus Christ for the difficult times preceding the Second Coming...

concentrated
If it is concentrated, that's a bummer. I like consecrated so much more.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:38 pm

Ephesian 5.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

That isn't true.
Screenshot_20221001-183859.png
Screenshot_20221001-183859.png (280.19 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 7:47 pm

That isn't true.Screenshot_20221001-183859.png
Where’s his words? And others as well?
I’ve never heard anything like that at GC or any church meeting. It was always “follow your leaders.” Repeated especially during covid.
Last edited by Mamabear on October 1st, 2022, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.