General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Voyager
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Voyager »

Great8 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:24 pm
Voyager wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:42 pm Kristin M. Yee's talk on forgiveness was excellent. A lot of truth taught, powerful message and powerful Spirit.
Is she gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that
Huh?

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by EvanLM »

Chris wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:59 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:39 pm
Chris wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:21 am
. You guys have no clue what is coming in the next 2 years. The world will be turned upside down and one of the reasons they are emphazing following the prophet is because they will be some of the only people left.
You're right, no one knows what is coming in the next 2 years. No one. As to who prospers through what is to come, we'll all see soon enough. Apostasy means to stand away from and has nothing to do with being wrong. Historically, those that have "stood apart from" did so because that which they did adhere to had become immoral.

The future will bring it's own evidence and there will no longer be any need to tell others what you think because everyone will know. The current leadership will likely be strengthened in the near future because they are obviously siding with the "winning team". This is why members have been instructed to follow the policies of the UN and every world doctrine today. If you look at it all it is clearly visible. Vaccines, climate religion, gender confusion acceptance, feminism. It's all part of the daily LDS doctrine. It's the truth and there is no denying it.
But that is the thing we can know. I have prayed to know and the Lord showed me. We had a 70 come to stake conference and gave a very boring talk at the end he said i promise you if you will be humble and if you will seek it the Lord will show you what is coming.

I agree at first glance it hate to see what looks like playing ball with the deepstate, i hate the vax and the letters. There is a lot that bothers me too. As i am sure many..... But we need to be understanding. I would like to see them blow off the UN and the deepstate. I would love to see them call fire down from heaven, to rectfy everything. But the Lord only does that at the end. Their is still work to be done. Their is still growth that has to happen. We can give the world the finger get kicked out of nearly every country and then expect to still be able to do the Lord work. He is at the helm it is his call what happens and when and if we have to sit patiently by waiting on the Lord then that is what we need to do.

It is like Jonah. He was justified in not wanting to go and teach the gospel of repentance because he knew it was the very people he was saving that would latercome and destroy the Lord people. That is a understandable feeling, why should i go and save the very people that are going to destroy me..... Right?

Have you ever studied Bishop Koyle. He was a very prophetic man and he speaks of tough times in the church after 3 apostles die in quick succession. ( This is back when 3 dies in 6 months ) He said it would be hard for the church and many would leave. But it still the Lord church and the Lord still in control and the lord sets things right..... Study Koyle he is amazing..... ( however some of the things have been put in wrong )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI-dPJc2dPI
http://visionsandtribulation.blogspot.c ... g-of-3.htm
Isaiah says that the biggest test of the saints in these days will be patience. Patience to get through it mostly. Patience to wait for people to get ripe while the wickedness is overbearing. Patience for prayers to be answered. Patience for the rewards. just patience

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:34 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 3:12 pm
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:58 pm Whooo…

The false doctrine is strong with Soares.

Good luck forming a partnership that works in the manner he describes.

EDIT:

Doctrine: By divine design husbands are called to preside…

Elder Soares: there is no President and Vice President…

And then he just threw out a definition of preside that’s nonsensical. Ouch.

Edit Two: and is now teaching that women should take jobs and work alongside their husbands to provide based on Adam and Eve’s example.

Tons of damage to families going to result from this talk.
His talk is so conflated.

Why is he continually saying "women and men", "wives and husbands". This stupid idea of "no hierarchy" is so incredibly false. The very fact that you put one name in front of the other IS a hierarchy.

Not a good talk at all.
Worse than that. Generational damage due to this talk. On par with 14 Fundamentals damage.
Not one single time did he at all state what roles are men's and what roles are women's.

He lumped them together and proclaimed the two roles of spouses is nurture and preside but that it doesn't matter who does what and sometimes one has to do both.

A same sex pairing theology can easily be laided out from it.

Family proclamation is dead.

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:23 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:20 am My Master:

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing”

My next prophet:

“Hey everyone, look at us, we gave almost a billion dollars to help the needy!”

What am I missing?
Yeah his talk made me cringe.
I was quite astonished that he held up this small group who give away 30,000 meals to the poor every weekend. That caused me to ponder, why doesn't the church do that? Why doesn't the church follow that example?

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing”

My next prophet:

What am I missing?
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
(Matthew 5:16)

I think it's a paradox.

"by proving contraries, truth is made manifest"
~Joseph Smith
from HC 6:248

I do wish the church would stop donating to certain organizations and broadcasting it, though...

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Kit-OTW wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:14 pm
Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:23 am

My next prophet:

What am I missing?
Yeah his talk made me cringe.
I was quite astonished that he held up this small group who give away 30,000 meals to the poor every weekend. That caused me to ponder, why doesn't the church do that? Why doesn't the church follow that example?
Maybe someone can help me out here but I know Oaks gave another talk at some point where he says that so many organizations do such a good job of taking care of the poor that it's not the responsibility of the LDS church to put as much money towards that effort. BUT we need to build more temples because that is something those organizations can't do.

Anyone know where to find that quote? I thought that's where he was going to go again today with his talk.

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:54 am Second framework: Personal revelation will come through our lanes, and not on others' lanes.

Only the Prophet receives revelation for the entire Church, Hiram Page referenced.
Not true! Samuel the Lamanite was not the Prophet. Nephi was. Yet, when Christ came, He told Nephi to add the record of what this non-official Prophet said regarding the coming of Christ. It was a prophecy not just for the Church, but everyone.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

EDIT:

Edit Two: and is now teaching that women should take jobs and work alongside their husbands to provide based on Adam and Eve’s example.

Why is he continually saying "women and men", "wives and husbands". This stupid idea of "no hierarchy" is so incredibly false. The very fact that you put one name in front of the other IS a hierarchy.

Not a good talk at all.
Worse than that. Generational damage due to this talk. On par with 14 Fundamentals damage.
Perhaps the true "generational damage" is what has been assumed to be true by past generations, but is actually a false tradition. We are all slowly coming to a more perfect knowledge of what the truth actually is.

I think the true principle is that both partners can and should share in the job of presiding and nurturing. The key is realizing that we are presiding over different family functions and activities, and not over people, which implies that people are subjects that don't have agency. So for example, instead of thinking that you preside over your children, thinking that that means they have a duty to obey you because "you preside" over them, the truth is that you preside over teaching them the gospel and you preside over protecting and providing. You preside over meetings. You can preside as partners with your wife in discipline and punishment if needed, but your wife has equal authority over something like that.

We each have different strengths that make each of us more suited for different jobs, which makes us naturally responsible to preside over that job. But we are equal partners because we both preside over different jobs. I preside over childbearing for example, as my husband presides over providing. We both can nurture, but I preside over child-care decisions. The husband can preside over protecting, and leading the family to gospel ordinances. But we each can share in the responsibility of presiding over different jobs. The job of the one presiding is also to make sure everyone feels equally respected in a council setting, is feeling heard, loved and united in agreement. If there is some disagreement, it's a false tradition to just say that the one presiding gets to go forward with whatever he or she wants. The Lord isn't going to bless that presiding officer if someone else in the group has already had the inspired idea, and the one presiding ignores is.

So instead of thinking you preside over your wife, the truth is that you preside over loving your wife and caring for her physical needs. Your wife presides over giving you children.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Sarah wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:43 pm

EDIT:

Not a good talk at all.
Perhaps the true "generational damage" is what has been assumed to be true by past generations, but is actually a false tradition. We are all slowly coming to a more perfect knowledge of what the truth actually is.

I think the true principle is that both partners can and should share in the job of presiding and nurturing. The key is realizing that we are presiding over different family functions and activities, and not over people, which implies that people are subjects that don't have agency. So for example, instead of thinking that you preside over your children, thinking that that means they have a duty to obey you because "you preside" over them, the truth is that you preside over teaching them the gospel and you preside over protecting and providing. You preside over meetings. You can preside as partners with your wife in discipline and punishment if needed, but your wife has equal authority over something like that.

We each have different strengths that make each of us more suited for different jobs, which makes us naturally responsible to preside over that job. But we are equal partners because we both preside over different jobs. I preside over childbearing for example, as my husband presides over providing. We both can nurture, but I preside over child-care decisions. The husband can preside over protecting, and leading the family to gospel ordinances. But we each can share in the responsibility of presiding over different jobs. The job of the one presiding is also to make sure everyone feels equally respected in a council setting, is feeling heard, loved and united in agreement. If there is some disagreement, it's a false tradition to just say that the one presiding gets to go forward with whatever he or she wants. The Lord isn't going to bless that presiding officer if someone else in the group has already had the inspired idea, and the one presiding ignores is.

So instead of thinking you preside over your wife, the truth is that you preside over loving your wife and caring for her physical needs. Your wife presides over giving you children.
"We are all slowly coming to a more perfect knowledge of what the truth actually is."

That's an interesting take considering that we are now I guess a higher holier people.... along with having open homosexual men serve missions

Hey higher and holier.... Or more holes are good.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

EDIT:

Not a good talk at all.

Or you know we could ditch the modern new age junk and just start reading Ephesians 5. That would be a good place to start.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

Post by tribrac »

Talking about husband and wives in conference must be one of the most impossible talks to give because of cultural differences.

The American Caucasian man, especially in the LDS church has been trained to be meek, mild and submissive to his wife and children.

The plight of African American men is worse.

Latino culture on the other hand still has a great deal of Machismo...even among members.

And now the church is focused on areas in Africa where Muslim attitudes influence family relationships and laws .

Mix in the Mormon Mama Dragons looking for anything to justify their kids behavior....

I could never deliver a talk under those conditions.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

So any takers on whether we have a talk on abortion?

I mean one of the greatest stains of humanity in the US was turned over to the individual states....

Anything???

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

tribrac wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:56 pm Talking about husband and wives in conference must be one of the most impossible talks to give because of cultural differences.

The American Caucasian man, especially in the LDS church has been trained to be meek, mild and submissive to his wife and children.

Latino culture on the other hand still has a great deal of Machismo...even among members.

And now the church is focused on areas in Africa where Muslim attitudes influence family relationships and laws .

Mix in the Mormon Mama Dragons looking for anything to justify their kids behavior....

It's not hard. Just read from the scriptures.

Ephesians 5.

Done.

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:56 am
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:53 am
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:45 am "Any kind of abuse of women or children or anyone is an abomination to the Lord." President Nelson. "Anyone who commits abuse are not only accountable to the laws of man but to the wrath of God Almighty"
Good. Then then stop telling your lawyers to tell bishops not to call the authorities. Please apologize for this grave error.
The laws are different state by state and country by country.
We have the Gospel of Christ which doesn't vary, no matter the philosophies of men, or their laws. If the Church no longer holds to the doctrine of God, and immovable, they are built on that sandy foundation.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:52 pm

Not a good talk at all.

Or you know we could ditch the modern new age junk and just start reading Ephesians 5. That would be a good place to start.
The thought that I had during this talk was oddly enough about chess.

One could argue that chess is patriarchal since the King must not die at all costs. And yet the Queen is the strongest piece on the board.

And it made me think that even chess has it exactly wrong, the male figure should (and usually is) the one who should sacrifice everything, even itself, for the protection of the female.

At any rate, regardless of what was said in conference, there are roles that need to be filled and it is up to each of us with our spouse (if we have one) to determine which roles work best for each of us. But in "presiding" it definitely doesn't mean the husband has the last word one everything nor should it be. Neither should the wife be able (thru manipulation in whatever form) be able to dominate the decision-making process. They truly need to become one and work for the betterment of their partnership.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:36 am This entire forum is chock full of church haters complaining about every single thing the church does. You're projecting.
If you actually read a lot of the responses and news articles that are posted, these members of the Lord church are not haters, they are condemning the leaderships decisions in recent years regarding church policy because it DIRECTLY conflicts with the scriptures, church doctrine and the prompting of the spirit testifying that what the church is doing is wrong. This is not a new issue for the restored church as even Joseph Smith was condemned numerous times for not following the Lord's counsel.

Most of the members of this board are genuinely concerned about the course the church is currently on in regards to the acceptance of sin, its prideful boasting, the money invested in evil corporations on the stock market and its support of corrupt organizations. Learn from the other members of the church here on this board and understand why they are saying these things.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Been reading Bruce Charlton's musings on men-dominated churches and women-dominated churches here.

In
a Mormon blog . . a woman complained that . . she, and her daughter - felt (ahem) hurt by the maleness of the priesthood; given that the priesthood was of such vital importance: for her nothing could make-up for this fact of inequality, of non-sameness.
Charlton thinks that
there are only two valid perspectives.

Either 1. the Mormon church should remain dominated by men, or 2. it should instead become dominated by women.
I think we're in a transition to #2.

If this dichotomy is ultimately right, if it is an either/or situation, then I see #2 as leading to an inevitable dwindling of the church, simply because of God-created biological/biochemical/hormonal differences. And that dwindling has already begun, from what I can see.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Original_Intent wrote: October 1st, 2022, 5:12 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:52 pm

The thought that I had during this talk was oddly enough about chess.

One could argue that chess is patriarchal since the King must not die at all costs. And yet the Queen is the strongest piece on the board.

And it made me think that even chess has it exactly wrong, the male figure should (and usually is) the one who should sacrifice everything, even itself, for the protection of the female.

At any rate, regardless of what was said in conference, there are roles that need to be filled and it is up to each of us with our spouse (if we have one) to determine which roles work best for each of us. But in "presiding" it definitely doesn't mean the husband has the last word one everything nor should it be. Neither should the wife be able (thru manipulation in whatever form) be able to dominate the decision-making process. They truly need to become one and work for the betterment of their partnership.
It is not up to us to determine which role to fill.

God has already made that clear.

Unless if course you believe that men can get pregnant.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Chris wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:21 am You guys are like a bunch of teenage girls bashing the fat kid you dont like. I still dont understand why you watch conference if you dont believe it? Most of you have made covenants that you have pissed in the wind. God will not be mocked and you will account for the constant bashing of the brethren. Whether you think you will or not. You are cutting your self off Just like Joseph said would happen.

You sound like the children of israel of old. WHO is MOSES?, How dare he ask us to listen to him, who the hell does he think he is. What a prick asking us to come out to this hell hole. It would have been better for us to remain in egypt and serve pharaoh...... right.

Let it go if you want to apostatize move on. But i guess another Joseph prophecy fullfiled right, people can leave the church but they cant leave it alone.

Like a bunch of bitter old women who are scorned you sit and poke and murmur...... You guys have no clue what is coming in the next 2 years. The world will be turned upside down and one of the reasons they are emphazing following the prophet is because they will be some of the only people left.
One quick question: Do you believe that the vaccine is a God Send?

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

JLHPROF wrote: October 1st, 2022, 12:12 pm
J2 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 12:01 pm
JLHPROF wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:52 am
J2 wrote: October 1st, 2022, 10:55 am Elder Renlund: I didn't need to pray about it, because only the prophet receives revelation for the church.

WOW.

So we shouldn't ask God for confirmation of another person's truth claims? This is appallingly bad.
He's completely right. There is zero need to pray about things that are blatantly out of order. You already know they aren't true.
That's not what the church has taught me throughout my whole life. I've always been taught that we can know the truth of all things, by the power of the Holy Ghost. (Moroni 10:5)

This attitude of choosing not to pray about something because one already believes that one knows the fulness of the truth, is the same attitude as those described in the Book of Mormon who claim "we need no more Bible, we have already got a Bible." It's basically shutting oneself off to further light and knowledge.

That's the exact opposite of the attitude that (up until now apparently) the church has always taught us to have.
Sorry I don't need to pray to know stealing is wrong.
I also don't need to pray about remnant teachings to know they're wrong.
We are taught to pray to learn the truth. If God's already taught something is wrong I don't need to pray to confirm that.

"We never inquire at the hand of God for Special revelation only in case of their being no previous revelation to suit the case.". Joseph Smith
You said you don't need to pray, and just know the remnant teaching are wrong? Funny how in the Church's materials, there is this topic:
Israel, Remnant of
See also Israel, Restoration of; Israel, Scattering of

remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah, 2 Kgs. 19:30.

remnant that are left of the captivity, Neh. 1:3.

Except the Lord … had left unto us a very small remnant, Isa. 1:9.

remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, Isa. 10:21 (2 Ne. 20:21).

out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, Isa. 37:32.

I will gather the remnant of my flock, Jer. 23:3.

Yet will I leave a remnant, Ezek. 6:8.

I will leave a few men of them from the sword, Ezek. 12:16.

shall be left a remnant that shall be brought forth, Ezek. 14:22.

in Jerusalem shall be deliverance … and in the remnant, Joel 2:32.

I will surely gather the remnant of Israel, Micah 2:12.

remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles, Micah 5:8 (3 Ne. 21:12).

concerning Israel … a remnant shall be saved, Rom. 9:27.

remnants of the house of Israel, should be grafted in, 1 Ne. 10:14.

our seed, which is a remnant of the house of Israel, 2 Ne. 28:2.

words … carry them forth unto the remnant of our seed, 2 Ne. 30:3.

we are a remnant of the seed of Joseph, Alma 46:23 (3 Ne. 10:17).

bring a remnant … of Joseph to the knowledge, 3 Ne. 5:23.

ye, who are a remnant of the house of Jacob, go forth, 3 Ne. 20:16 (Morm. 7:10).

lest a remnant of the seed of Jacob shall go forth, Morm. 5:24.

ye are a remnant of the seed of Jacob, Morm. 7:10.

New Jerusalem should be built … unto the remnant … of Joseph, Ether 13:6.

remnant shall be gathered unto this place, D&C 45:43.

remnants who are left … shall vex the Gentiles, D&C 87:5.

remnants of Jacob, who have been cursed … be converted, D&C 109:65.

scattered remnants are exhorted to return to the Lord, D&C 113:10.

gather together the remainder of his elect from the four winds, JS—M 1:37.

See also 2 Kgs. 19:4; Isa. 19:25.

Sound like the Remnant teachings are true.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

tribrac wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:56 pm Talking about husband and wives in conference must be one of the most impossible talks to give because of cultural differences.

Great point.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Sunain wrote: October 1st, 2022, 5:13 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:36 am This entire forum is chock full of church haters complaining about every single thing the church does. You're projecting.
If you actually read a lot of the responses and news articles that are posted, these members of the Lord church are not haters, they are condemning the leaderships decisions in recent years regarding church policy because it DIRECTLY conflicts with the scriptures, church doctrine and the prompting of the spirit testifying that what the church is doing is wrong. This is not a new issue for the restored church as even Joseph Smith was condemned numerous times for not following the Lord's counsel.

Most of the members of this board are genuinely concerned about the course the church is currently on in regards to the acceptance of sin, its prideful boasting, the money invested in evil corporations on the stock market and its support of corrupt organizations. Learn from the other members of the church here on this board and understand why they are saying these things.
I read a great many of the posts on the forum. The posts on this thread were complaints about colors on a pamphlet, church spending, the economy of God, believing everything is secretly about the gays, and stuff like that.

It's people looking to be offended. It's the right version of being woke: nothing is good, everything has to be construed in the worst possible way, and you have to take personal offense to it.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

thaabit wrote: October 1st, 2022, 4:21 pm

My next prophet:

What am I missing?
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
(Matthew 5:16)

I think it's a paradox.

"by proving contraries, truth is made manifest"
~Joseph Smith
from HC 6:248

I do wish the church would stop donating to certain organizations and broadcasting it, though...
That’s useful. Gives me something to think about. Thanks.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 5:30 pm
Sunain wrote: October 1st, 2022, 5:13 pm

I read a great many of the posts on the forum. The posts on this thread were complaints about colors on a pamphlet, church spending, the economy of God, believing everything is secretly about the gays, and stuff like that.

It's people looking to be offended. It's the right version of being woke: nothing is good, everything has to be construed in the worst possible way, and you have to take personal offense to it.
One of the most interesting strategies of people not sincerely interested in debating is labeling what the opposition says as “complaints”, and what they say as “valid”.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

EDIT:

Not a good talk at all.

I sincerely wish you all the best in establishing anything useful with that philosophy while simultaneously testifying that you’ll never establish anything useful while practicing that philosophy.

I know that the idea that one group of people has been delegated authority over another group of people by divine design is a difficult one to swallow. I for one wish it wasn’t so, and indeed, most men I work with don’t even try to fulfill their roles due to the conflict it introduces into their families. But it is as it is, and any attempt to wrest the doctrine will only lead to sorrow… even if one of the prophets preaches a different philosophy at conference.