Dating at 16 - the new revelation

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Dating at 16 - the new revelation

Post by Mamabear »

Now you can date one on one at 16! We’re finally back to the 50s! Yay!
Older kids….”No fair I had to wait!”
Well, that’s revelation sweetie.
😂
In all seriousness I always thought that rule was so dumb. Really? Kids can’t go on single dates until 18? You’re just setting them back. Then they fall in love with the first person that they date.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Re: Dating at 16 - the new revelation

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm Now you can date one on one at 16! We’re finally back to the 50s! Yay!
😂
In all seriousness I always thought that rule was so dumb. Really? Kids can’t go on single dates until 18? You’re just setting them back. Then they fall in love with the first person that they date.
People on ldsff love to make up rules and then claim that the chur h changed these rules.

There was never a rule that people couldn't single date until they were 18.

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:09 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm Now you can date one on one at 16! We’re finally back to the 50s! Yay!
😂
People on ldsff love to make up rules and then claim that the chur h changed these rules.

Yeah it's been 16 as far back as I can remember

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

😂

The old pamphlet says group dating till 18. That’s what the youth leaders in my stake said when they held standard nights.

“Your son is 16, and going to prom with a girl and they’re not going as a group? Oh my!”

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Hosh wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:11 pm
😂

Really?!

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:12 pm
😂

The old pamphlet says group dating till 18. That’s what the youth leaders in my stake said when they held standard nights.

“Your son is 16, and going to prom with a girl and they’re not going as a group? Oh my!”
No, the old pamphlet did not say that.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Artex, I love you. Sorry I'm an @#$
Last edited by tribrac on October 2nd, 2022, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

tribrac wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:15 pm Artex, are you paid to come here and gaslight, or is it just a hobby?
Feel free to cite to the old pamphlet saying that says what you're claiming. Because this what the reality was:
Screenshot_20221001-131902.png
Screenshot_20221001-131902.png (417.36 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Who's doing the gaslighting here?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

But you didn't answer my question. Hobby or paid?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:13 pm
😂

Really?!
Some of these Churchites are insufferable.

Yes it was group dating until 18.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

tribrac wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:21 pm But you didn't answer my question. Hobby or paid?
"When did you stop beating your wife?"

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:23 pm

Really?!

Heres the old manual. Please cite the part that says what you claim.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/ ... th-eng.pdf

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:25 pm

Really?!

Churchites are insufferable. They burn all bridges in their effort to be right and be the modern-day Danites that destroy people.

I never said the FSY explicitly stated 18. That is ABSOLUTELY what the CULTURE taught, so it does not matter what the book states-it's what the culture teaches.

But of course if the culture teaches something else, it's always the people's fault. No recognition at ALL of any problems from the leaders. They are perfect, never make mistakes and are Gods.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:32 pm

Really?!

Churchites are insufferable. They burn all bridges in their effort to be right and be the modern-day Danites that destroy people.

I never said the FSY explicitly stated 18. That is ABSOLUTELY what the CULTURE taught, so it does not matter what the book states-it's what the culture teaches.

But of course if the culture teaches something else, it's always the people's fault. No recognition at ALL of any problems from the leaders. They are perfect, never make mistakes and are Gods.
You're really going to claim that he OP wasn't about changes to the FSY manual? You're really going to say that the OP was about changes to the church culture, and not about the new FSY manual that came out?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:19 pm
tribrac wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:15 pm Artex, are you paid to come here and gaslight, or is it just a hobby?
Feel free to cite to the old pamphlet saying that says what you're claiming. Because this what the reality was:

I wasn’t gaslighting. That is literally what my kids were taught at church.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:38 pm

You said, "The old pamphlet says group dating till 18."

Is that true or false?

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:37 pm

You're really going to claim that he OP wasn't about changes to the FSY manual? You're really going to say that the OP was about changes to the church culture, and not about the new FSY manual that came out?
Dude you are obtuse.

"one-on-one activities should be postponed until you are mature—age 16 is a good guideline."

This in the new section IMPLIES that it is okay to go on single dates at age 16.

"You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples."

This section IMPLIES that it is NOT okay to go on single dates at age 16.

People can and do read "between the lines". That is a natural thing. And you in your haughtiness and in your self-righteous churchite crap are calling people fools for doing exactly that.

This isn't hard; it just requires you to put away your defense of an organization and actually give MERCY and GRACE to others
Last edited by spiritMan on October 2nd, 2022, 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:43 pm

Dude you are obtuse.

"one-on-one activities should be postponed until you are mature—age 16 is a good guideline."

This in the new section IMPLIES that it is okay to go on single dates at age 16.

"You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples."

Just stop it dude. Stop it. You are being a total @#!!$#!%.

People can and do read "between the lines". That is a natural thing. And you in your haughtiness and in your self-righteous churchite @#!!$#!% are calling people fools for doing exactly that.

This isn't hard; it just requires you to put away your defense of an organization and actually give MERCY and GRACE to others

Stop being a @#!!$#!% dude. Seriously.
Still waiting or he part that talks about no single dates until they're 18....

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:39 pm

Is that true or false?
I NEVER stated the old pamphlet says group dating till 18.

I stated "Yes it was group dating until 18." You read in between the lines and IMPLIED in your mind that I stated "FSY pamphlet states".

I don't actually mind that you read between the lines. I can see how your mind would twist what I said into something else; that's fine, that's human.

What I care about is that you are a hypocrite. For YOU it is perfectly acceptable to "read between the lines" . . .but when someone ELSE does it. No, no, no. They are idiots.

Maybe you should actually learn to live by your own rules dude.
Last edited by spiritMan on October 2nd, 2022, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

This is what the old pamphlet says:
“You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples.”
But somehow the culture and leaders turned this into 2 years of group dating.

True story- my friends daughter was dating someone exclusively in her 20s. They passionately kissed. Her daughter was uncomfortable and broke up with him because of the pamphlet.

“The phrase “passionate kissing” in For the Strength of Youth ([2011], 36) has to do with the kind of kissing that goes well beyond a peck on the cheek or briefly touching lips. It’s more intense and lasts longer than a brief kiss, and it’s often a step along the path to more serious kinds of physical intimacy, which is why you are warned against it before you’re married. For the kind of dating and relationships you should be experiencing before marriage, it’s wise to hold back with your kisses, especially kisses on the lips.“

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:45 pm

Dude you are obtuse.

People can and do read "between the lines". That is a natural thing. And you in your haughtiness and in your self-righteous churchite @#!!$#!% are calling people fools for doing exactly that.

I never stated FSY pamphlet stated that it says 18.
Last edited by spiritMan on October 2nd, 2022, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:47 pm

Is that true or false?
No you &#%!@?!%, I did not.

I NEVER stated the old pamphlet says group dating till 18.

I stated "Yes it was group dating until 18." You read in between the lines and IMPLIED in your mind that I stated "FSY pamphlet states".

I don't actually mind that you read between the lines. I can see how your mind would twist what I said into something else; that's fine, that's human.

What I care about is that you are a hypocrite. For YOU it is perfectly acceptable to "read between the lines" . . .but when someone ELSE does it. No, no, no. They are idiots.

Maybe you should actually learn to live by your own rules dude.
The discussion you stepped in to was about the FSY pamphlet. You're not claiming that you changed the subject of the thread, starting with the word "Yes." That's just ridiculous. Your point was very clear, as is the entire discussion on the thread.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

spiritMan wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:48 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:45 pm

Dude you are obtuse.

I never stated FSY pamphlet stated that it says 18.

Stop being a @#!!$#!%.
But that's what the thread has been about. If you want to change the subject and go off on a tangent, you're certainly welcome to.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Mamabear wrote: October 1st, 2022, 2:47 pm This is what the old pamphlet says:
“You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples.”
But somehow the culture and leaders turned this into 2 years of group dating.

True story- my friends daughter was dating someone exclusively in her 20s. They passionately kissed. Her daughter was uncomfortable and broke up with him because of the pamphlet.

“The phrase “passionate kissing” in For the Strength of Youth ([2011], 36) has to do with the kind of kissing that goes well beyond a peck on the cheek or briefly touching lips. It’s more intense and lasts longer than a brief kiss, and it’s often a step along the path to more serious kinds of physical intimacy, which is why you are warned against it before you’re married. For the kind of dating and relationships you should be experiencing before marriage, it’s wise to hold back with your kisses, especially kisses on the lips.“
Yeah. A major cultural problem is that we do not do an effective job of actually defining words.

"Passionate kissing" . . .what the heck is that. I kiss someone really, really hard.

They used to call it necking and petting . . .but again they never really defined them. They should have just said very simply prior to marriage kissing another person's body in other places besides on the lips in a romantic manner is inappropriate.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Is that true or false?
True. I can admit I quoted the pamphlet wrong….but it’s only because of what they were taught at church by the ward and stake.