A Blessing ~ Not a Curse

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

A Blessing ~ Not a Curse

Post by Momma J »

It has taken me a few years to understand that My Husband's Parkinson's Disease is not a curse. It is a Blessing

It has pulled out strengths in us that we did not realize we have. We are stronger as a couple because there is no challenge we cannot face Together.

Most importantly, this awful disease has humbled me and brought me closer to the Lord than I have ever been. I relearned how to Pray. The very act was once rote. Now it is in earnest.

Our acts of service were once simple and not heartfelt.... (taking care of perceived obligations). We are now blessed with deeper empathy for our fellow man. We do not ask for pity. We do not cry out about the unfairness. We see that our Father in Heaven truly loves us.

We are able to thank the Lord for opening our hearts. It is not easy, but neither are so many afflictions placed upon each of us.

Count your blessings...... even the ones that appear on the surface as curses. Each stumbling block teaches us to dig deeper.
More holiness give me,
More sweetness within,
More patience in suff’ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of His care,
More joy in His service,
More freedom in prayer.

Come, my Savior, and help me,
Comfort, strengthen and keep me;
Thou each moment wilt save me,
Thou art saving me now.

More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord,
More zeal for His glory,
More hope in His Word,
More tears for His sorrows,
More pain at His grief,
More meekness in trial,
More praise for relief.
More victory give me,
More strength to o’ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More quest for the throne,
More fit for the kingdom,
More useful I’d be,
More blessed and holy,
More, Savior, like Thee.
(original writing... and preferred by me) In stanza 1, the original says "strivings" instead of "sweetness".
In stanza 3, the original says "purity" instead of victory and "longings for home" instead of "quest for the throne".

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: A Blessing ~ Not a Curse

Post by TheDuke »

wonderful perspective. I am working to feel the same. My family became broken by a terribly tragic set of events that have caused me/us to work through things that cannot be comprehended in another way. To cause real and deep love to overcome such extreme pain, while loving the one that caused it. Make me a new person anyway.

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

During a significant trial, I clearly heard His voice aloud saying "forgiveness is a principle Designed for the Exalting of One's self"
It also came with his peace and a download of information.... Not words, just a knowing and comprehension. Forgiveness of self is exalting...and how. Forgiveness of others...and why
Forgiveness of circumstances. The atonement and forgiveness....and how Christ was exalted from the son to the father of our salvation...and how that went forth through all generations of time from son to father, son to father, without end. How it will continue. The answer is always love....and these choices, we're now living out in the flesh, were designed to stretch us on our own personal crosses for growth that could come no other way. There is no greater love than this....that you would lay down your life for a friend...sometimes even as a devil's advocate. Romans 9. 19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

God is good....all the time.

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

I have endured chronic pain, every day, all day long for the last 10 years. I even spent a month in the hospital hooked up to a morphine IV drip. Today I have a number of drugs to help control this pain that has damaged my life in so many ways. So, I think I can speak with some authority on the matter of illness or disease being a blessing or a curse. Like Job of the Old Testament, I can see the hand of God in my life, even in the bad things. For me, it's all part of his plan for my life. I may not understand it and I may not like it, but it is what it is. Maybe it will all be explained to me after the resurrection.
But we live in a fallen world, tainted by sin and ruled by the devil. Here in our relatively comfortable lands in the west, we can take the time to ponder philosophically about the nature of evil and pain. And we can afford to talk about how it's all really a blessing and not a curse. But go and actually live among the billions of human beings who are starving right now or watching their babies die in their arms. Live among those who are being blown to pieces by weapons of war or poisoned by their own land and air. I think it would become obvious that in the "real world" outside of our nice little bubble, such things are not a blessing, they are definitely a curse.
I would have to say, if I had to choose, my pain and suffering would be a curse and not a blessing. I can ignore it or work around it, but the illness that I have will never be a blessing. I'm not complaining about it, at least not today, so far.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

TheDuke wrote: September 29th, 2022, 10:42 am wonderful perspective. I am working to feel the same. My family became broken by a terribly tragic set of events that have caused me/us to work through things that cannot be comprehended in another way. To cause real and deep love to overcome such extreme pain, while loving the one that caused it. Make me a new person anyway.
It is an incredible journey that once cannot easily explain. In the past I would see a family forgive someone who murdered a loved one, and I could not begin to comprehend. I pray that you and yours are able to continue down this path. It is not an easy journey, but the load becomes much lighter.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

mike_rumble wrote: September 30th, 2022, 5:32 am I have endured chronic pain, every day, all day long for the last 10 years. I even spent a month in the hospital hooked up to a morphine IV drip. Today I have a number of drugs to help control this pain that has damaged my life in so many ways. So, I think I can speak with some authority on the matter of illness or disease being a blessing or a curse. Like Job of the Old Testament, I can see the hand of God in my life, even in the bad things. For me, it's all part of his plan for my life. I may not understand it and I may not like it, but it is what it is. Maybe it will all be explained to me after the resurrection.
But we live in a fallen world, tainted by sin and ruled by the devil. Here in our relatively comfortable lands in the west, we can take the time to ponder philosophically about the nature of evil and pain. And we can afford to talk about how it's all really a blessing and not a curse. But go and actually live among the billions of human beings who are starving right now or watching their babies die in their arms. Live among those who are being blown to pieces by weapons of war or poisoned by their own land and air. I think it would become obvious that in the "real world" outside of our nice little bubble, such things are not a blessing, they are definitely a curse.
I would have to say, if I had to choose, my pain and suffering would be a curse and not a blessing. I can ignore it or work around it, but the illness that I have will never be a blessing. I'm not complaining about it, at least not today, so far.
Very sorry to hear what you’re going through, brother. It sounds really rough.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mike_rumble wrote: September 30th, 2022, 5:32 am I have endured chronic pain, every day, all day long for the last 10 years. I even spent a month in the hospital hooked up to a morphine IV drip. Today I have a number of drugs to help control this pain that has damaged my life in so many ways. So, I think I can speak with some authority on the matter of illness or disease being a blessing or a curse. Like Job of the Old Testament, I can see the hand of God in my life, even in the bad things. For me, it's all part of his plan for my life. I may not understand it and I may not like it, but it is what it is. Maybe it will all be explained to me after the resurrection.
In the grand scheme of things; why are some "blessed" with less of a curse? I often wonder (because I have the luxury of peaceful periods to ponder) why some people are "allowed" to be slaughtered? One cannot say it is because they are wicked when many are children.

As a child I would ask my father that question and he replied, "We are a blessed people."

Although this is comforting to me to be blessed, it does not help me understand why those living in the midst of wars are not also blessed.

I can grasp the concept of good vs evil... but the extent of some evil is too much. How often do we ask the Lord why he does not intervene on their behalf?

Childhood cancer?

The list seems endless... What is the point? What do we learn?

For the record, if you ask my husband whether his PD is a blessing or a curse, he will tell you it is a curse. It has crippled him mentally and physically. It has also taken a good part of him from me. It is not easy for me to work two jobs to pay the bills. It is not easy to constantly try to convince him that I am not going to leave him... or even worse hurt him. We deal constantly with delusional paranoia. He is trying to function with constant hallucinations, pain, depression... and now he is showing signs of Lewy Bodies. It is indeed a curse.

However, we are grateful that we have have grown exponentially as a couple as a direct result of his illness. We slowed down our lives and take the time to hold hands and pray together.

Would I be able to maintain my viewpoint should we be in the midst of war/ pain and suffering/ complete upheaval??? I believe we will soon find out.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

mike_rumble wrote: September 30th, 2022, 5:32 am I would have to say, if I had to choose, my pain and suffering would be a curse and not a blessing. I can ignore it or work around it, but the illness that I have will never be a blessing. I'm not complaining about it, at least not today, so far.
I am sorry that I glossed right over your suffering as if it was nothing... Please forgive me as I did not mean to imply by omission that your burden is not worthy of discussion. I could not personally fathom constant pain. :(

This topic has me pondering......

I have heard suffering explained (simplified) in two conflicting ways. I have no idea if either is correct.

1.) Those who are on Earth during the final days, are chosen because they can endure more suffering. We are chosen!?!?! And yet wars and incredible suffering has been around as long as mankind has walked the Earth. Are we somehow stronger?

2.) Our Earthy families have been predetermined before we are born. I was born into a middle class family in small town Wyoming because of my choices in Heaven??? While another woman was born into the wilds of Africa because of her Heavenly choices? Is she less blessed with Earthly amenities because of premortal choices?

* side note* My parents had multiple missions in Africa and found many of the people, living in poverty, were more in tune to spiritual growth. Their family structure was stronger and respect for each other deeper.

Which Earthly beginning is the better blessing; being born poor and humble or being born into wealth and unaware?

That is not to suggest that a wealthy person cannot be humble, or a poor person not be evil...

Random musings..

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

This blog post explained things in a way that clicked for me, maybe it might also help someone else?

https://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/2012 ... d-justice/

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

zionbuilder wrote: September 30th, 2022, 10:33 am This blog post explained things in a way that clicked for me, maybe it might also help someone else?

https://unblogmysoul.wordpress.com/2012 ... d-justice/
Thank you This part really resonated with me
"One of the reasons I believe we live with a veil over our minds in mortality is so that we won’t remember who we were before birth, or what we agreed to put ourselves through in order to triumph in the end. Knowing such things would render faith impossible. In this life we agreed to walk by faith – including faith that fairness, justice and love truly are why God lets our lives progress as they do."

mike_rumble
captain of 100

Post by mike_rumble »

Momma J wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:31 am
mike_rumble wrote: September 30th, 2022, 5:32 am I would have to say, if I had to choose, my pain and suffering would be a curse and not a blessing. I can ignore it or work around it, but the illness that I have will never be a blessing. I'm not complaining about it, at least not today, so far.
I am sorry that I glossed right over your suffering as if it was nothing... Please forgive me as I did not mean to imply by omission that your burden is not worthy of discussion. I could not personally fathom constant pain. :(

I have heard suffering explained (simplified) in two conflicting ways. I have no idea if either is correct.

1.) Those who are on Earth during the final days, are chosen because they can endure more suffering. We are chosen!?!?! And yet wars and incredible suffering has been around as long as mankind has walked the Earth. Are we somehow stronger?

2.) Our Earthy families have been predetermined before we are born. I was born into a middle class family in small town Wyoming because of my choices in Heaven??? While another woman was born into the wilds of Africa because of her Heavenly choices? Is she less blessed with Earthly amenities because of premortal choices?

* side note* My parents had multiple missions in Africa and found many of the people, living in poverty, were more in tune to spiritual growth. Their family structure was stronger and respect for each other deeper.

Which Earthly beginning is the better blessing; being born poor and humble or being born into wealth and unaware?

That is not to suggest that a wealthy person cannot be humble, or a poor person not be evil...

Random musings..
No need to apologise in any way. We are all just trying to figure it all out as best we can. I think our lives are planned out in advance, but only in the most general terms, such as "born into a wealthy family and have a good, uneventful life until old age when you will experience a tragic event that will challenge your faith". I doubt very much that you are given the details such as "your child will be torn from your arms and cut to pieces in front of you". After all, only an evil or insane person would agree to such things happening to innocent children". I think God's plan is set in place and will come to the end for which it was designed, but in between, the power of free will can really mess things up for nations and for individuals. The man born blind from birth was born that way not because he had done something to deserve it but to show the power of God. Likewise, the ultimate reason why sin exists is also to show the power of God when it is eraticated from the earth.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Momma J wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:31 am

Random musings..
I think the gathering of Israel, the people, mostly will be poor and impoverished….People from Africa, China, Russia. They are truly the most humble.

As far as the two Mormon theories which I’ve heard as well, I don’t believe the first one has any merit (or the second, lol). As you said there have always been wars. And we are no better than any other people in history. The church has been saying to every generation, for decades, that they are “chosen”.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Eternal progression and the meaning of this particular mortal probation are certainly good topics when discussed together. Personally, believing in MMP, I see this earth filled with multiple types of god's children, all called out in the scriptures. The majority being the first-time, previously innocent, now dumped into reality children. They are the multitude. Some of them (1/3 part) are and have been close to becoming SoP, or at least worrying enough about it to side with Satan in pre-mortality. Then there are many here worthy of terrestrial glory already, working to progress to celestial. And then celestial beings condescending to come here as the "great and noble ones" or as Jesus called them "the elect from the father" already saved in first level of celestial but here to work out their (as Joseph calls it) exaltation to exaltation and provide service to others.

I bring this up to say that I feel like the younger (not worse, not inferior) and less experienced inhabitants are taking mostly "general education classes" like any freshmen. Doesn't matter what their specifics are, could be random, just needs so many hours of credit. The farther up the progression ladder, the more specific and possibly more difficult (and held to higher standard) tests and challenges. IMO