Book: The Language of Creation

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
abijah`
~dog days~

Book: The Language of Creation

Post by abijah` »

https://www.amazon.com/Language-Creatio ... B07D738HD8

I'm partway thru it now and it's blowing my mind. I felt like I've had to put it down for a bit to allow what I've read thus far to sink in, its quite dense.

Whether we are aware of it or not, we all perceive scripture thru a modern, post-enlightenment materialist lens, by simple nature of that being our native lens of perceiving reality.

edit: the author is Matthieu Pageau, brother of Jonathan Pageau. Here's some relevant discussions -

abijah
pleb in zion

Re: Book: The Language of Creation

Post by abijah »

Very pleased to have seen this come out yesterday.
ive read thru it like 4 or so times by now (it's one of those books...)

borderline life changing. i may add thoughts later when i have time.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Re: Book: The Language of Creation

Post by AkalAish »

abijah` wrote: November 20th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Whether we are aware of it or not, we all perceive scripture thru a modern, post-enlightenment materialist lens, by simple nature of that being our native lens of perceiving reality.

We all tend to read ancient writings through the fractured lens of our cultural experience.

Take your apostle Paul, for example. Setting aside what I might believe about him as a rabbi, the interesting thing is that his letters (epistles) are ANSWERS to questions raised by the various communities to which he was writing.

BUT...

...We do not have the questions.

We are left to construct what those questions and issues might have been based upon the responses he gave.

If I am late for an appointment and I apologize by mentioning that I had car trouble, I do not first have to explain to you what a car is. It is understood by the audience (you, in this case).

Thousands of years from now, someone reading our writings may put pieces together and take at face value something we understood one way and is entirely different from the way they understand it through the eyes of their cultural norms.

I can say this...Hebrew is a language packed with meaning. After a lifetime of study, I am still learning subtleties about it that continue to amaze and fill me with awe.