Psychological Shadow - Do you project?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Psychological Shadow - Do you project?

Post by Thinker »

Imagine psychological shadow as unknown weaknesses.

A lot of businesses pay customers to “let them know how they’re doing” because they know that often businesses fail because of unknown weaknesses.

Athletes know that if they want the competitive edge, they must train against tough competition that exposes their weaknesses so they can work on them.

Why is there such a tendency to avoid rather than seek to know one’s unknown weaknesses/shadow? Maybe because it feels too personal & too much pride is taken in the persona.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:24 am Imagine psychological shadow as unknown weaknesses.

A lot of businesses pay customers to “let them know how they’re doing” because they know that often businesses fail because of unknown weaknesses.

Athletes know that if they want the competitive edge, they must train against tough competition that exposes their weaknesses so they can work on them.

Why is there such a tendency to avoid rather than seek to know one’s unknown weaknesses/shadow? Maybe because it feels too personal & too much pride is taken in the persona.
Absolutely pride can be a major factor in avoiding self improvement. Also 'fear', we may fear coming to terms with some weaknesses/flaws, also we may fear the changes to address those weaknesses/flaws...so we may think, 'well heck, I got this far without worrying about those flaws/weaknesses....so I'll just keep going with what's got me this far'.....pride and fear.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Cruiserdude wrote: September 17th, 2022, 12:06 pm
Thinker wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:24 am Imagine psychological shadow as unknown weaknesses.

Absolutely pride can be a major factor in avoiding self improvement. Also 'fear', we may fear coming to terms with some weaknesses/flaws, also we may fear the changes to address those weaknesses/flaws...so we may think, 'well heck, I got this far without worrying about those flaws/weaknesses....so I'll just keep going with what's got me this far'.....pride and fear.
I think you’re right - all of that like fear of evil potential in everyone including oneself. Today I felt that as I learned of a story of a teenage boy who was trying to be perfect for his abusive Dad & alcoholic mom - good grades, working in Eagle Scout etc… but then he finally snapped & shot his dad, then the rest of his family. His dad left a gun lying out & it was a bad combination of events - he killed them all & is in jail for +life.

Reading comments, as well as acknowledging my own thoughts at times, it is terrifying how close we could get to that! When someone has hurt you so much & continues to day after day - how much anger can accumulate - especially if not properly dealt with!

I remember going visiting teaching with my sweet older companion who drove. Someone cut her off or something & man! I saw a different side of her! Road rage! At times I have become similarly frustrated but luckily everything was ok.

How do we sure up ourselves against overreactions?
How do we become meek (“sheathed sword”) - self control to only fight when appropriate?
Practice, I suppose. Luckily (?) there tends to be plenty of opportunities to choose to react or to take a deep breath & chill. Yoga helped me learn to breathe through stress. Maintaining a good spirit is important - praying/meditating, good music, guiding thoughts etc.
What do you think?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I remember a business failing and the owner complaining in the local paper, blaming our council.

But I knew the place, and knew it was the staff. They acted as if it was beneath them, and were often white kids with dreadlocks. I used to go to it regularly because it was near my college. On one occasion, I waited 3/4 of an hour for a pot of coffee (yes, I used to drink it back then) and had to remind them. It wasn't busy. That would have been enough to deter most people.

But I gave them a second chance and went along a few more times, on the last occasion I overheard one of the staff say loudly, "I hate that guy." Now whether or not waiting staff like me is up to them, and they could &!@$# about me all they wanted in private, but you don't do that in front of customers.I was a good customer to them, and used to tip (not mandatory here) and was always polite to them. I never went back. I often wished I'd complained or demanded a refund, but no doubt I would have been accused of "abusing the staff" (which I never did).

So I thought if this was happening to me it probably happened to others, and the ditzy South African woman who ran the place (and was rarely in) probably never picked up on all this. Instead she blamed local government... which may have been partly true, but rude and lazy staff don't endear themselves to the customer base.

They say a happy customer tells one or two people and an unhappy one tells nine. Well, I told plenty of people about this experience.

Same with a local garage chain. I was nearly ripped off by them but asked for a second opinion. I heard from other people that this company is notorious for telling people their car needs to be scrapped so they can buy it at a knockdown price.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Niemand wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:08 am… white kids with dreadlocks….
Say no more! :lol:
Spoiler
” Science has opened the door to a new frontier of exploration for the human race. It seems more likely than ever that we will soon be able to communicate with intelligent life from other planets and possibly even other dimensions. The catch? You may have already been ignoring them in the streets.

Scientists have always known where white guys come from and where dreadlocks come from, but they've been puzzled by the existence of white guys with dreadlocks. However, new evidence suggests that the white guys in question are from an alternate reality…”

https://www.cbc.ca/comedy/funnystuff/sc ... -1.3831781

Disclaimer:
Yes, During my ongoing ID crisis, I sported blonde braids, as I listened to Marley… but dreads were too much - like purposefully making a head full of snarls. No thank you! 😁

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:07 am
Disclaimer:
Yes, During my ongoing ID crisis, I sported blonde braids, as I listened to Marley… but dreads were too much - like purposefully making a head full of snarls. No thank you! 😁
Did you really?! That's awesome and I bet you pulled off that look great! 😁
BTW Bob should have a place on EVERY playlist😎

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Cruiserdude wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:12 am
Thinker wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:07 am
Disclaimer:
Did you really?! That's awesome and I bet you pulled off that look great! 😁
BTW Bob should have a place on EVERY playlist😎
Thanks, that’s nice of you.
Yes, Bob produced a lot of good music… ie:

”… But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the Almighty
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly

Won't you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
'Cause all I ever have
Redemption songs…