Holiday Traditions...Please Share

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AkalAish
captain of 100

Holiday Traditions...Please Share

Post by AkalAish »

Cheesy...cliche...been done before ad infinitum...boring...not applicable...

Perhaps this topic has been covered a great deal over the years, but I must say that I have a soft spot for tradition. Especially at the holidays...whatever way you choose to define "holidays."

What are yours? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Chanukah? Kwanzaa? Diwali? Festivus (For the Rest of Us)?

I would be most obliged to hear what you have done in your youth, what you do now, and what you hope to create in the future for you and your family.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Re: Holiday Traditions...Please Share

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Trying to figure out how to pay for Christmas.
Finding gifts that my boy will like but I can use for homeschool.
Saving half the fun/homeschool gifts in the closet for birthday the month after Christmas.
Crying over Zoom with my older son bc I can't figure out how to run the electronics I got my younger son.
Leaving Christmas up till May because I hate redecorating just for a month.
Still paying off Christmas in May.
Swearing we are doing a pioneer Christmas next year.
Trying to figure out how to pay for Christmas..

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Spring is my favorite holiday and for my religious views Easter has become my favorite holiday due to the religious meaning and for it taking place in Spring. Every single year I say to myself I want to identify ways to make Easter feel like an event holiday comparable to Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I have a family, I'd like Easter to have some traditions that make it stand out as fun, atmospheric holiday. I can never come up with anything. Every year I try to. Every year I fail to. That is my Easter holiday tradition.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Where I come from a holiday is what you call a vacation.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Niemand wrote: September 26th, 2022, 3:41 am Where I come from a holiday is what you call a vacation.
So what are the holidays called if it is not vacation but Christmas?

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Christmas used to be my favorite holiday. As a youth my father would always have carols going, it's cold so a fire would be going, the lights on the tree were magical and the snow outside, beside being cold was a delight to play in.
When my children were born I began teaching them to consider others in that season. We'd find those away from home invite them over and include them on Christmas Eve. Everyone would have a gift to open. I took traditions from German friend and every Sunday before Christmas for 4 Sundays we read Christmas stories from all over the world and finished with parts of the nativity from the new Testament. I always had a huge spread of foods on the table. Christmas day they all were given "socks" filled with junk, games, toys, fruit etc. At the bottom was a silver coin and for my daughter a piece of jewelry usually gold. Christmas day was a feast.
Now days it's just a normal day. 😂. I prefer Thanksgiving. I've changed somewhat. Thanksgiving is just sheer gratitude for all I have been given sorrows and all.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

We celebrate Passover now. It has been eye-opening how it all points to our Savior. No more easter bunny and hiding eggs, which is actually a pagan tradition.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I believe my sons' favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. The three "F"s ~ Food, Family, and Football. With no pressure of gift giving. Simply gathering, eating, and laughing with each other.

We have simplified Christmas by placing a price limit on gift giving. Something small and from the heart. Homemade is even better. I would rather receive a hand painted picture or a coupon to help me work on the chicken coop... than jewels and gold. We are attempting each year to spend more time serving others. I have even enlisted the help of my oldest son to deliver goody baskets to all of our neighbors.

We do decorate the house for Christmas as it helps to stave off my husband's depression. I love displaying the beautiful Nativity set that my mother made for me. Every year it seems more and more of a chore to take down the lights. We still have them hanging from the eaves at the country cottage. Nice not having a HOA out there.

We skip Modern Easter traditions all together. They are confusing at best. I do enjoy buying the candy for 1/2 price on Monday.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Momma J wrote: September 26th, 2022, 9:57 am
We still have them hanging from the eaves at the country cottage. Nice not having a HOA out there.
A nice country cottage where Christmas lights hang from the eaves throughout the year. This sounds so cute and classy.

Where I come from they’re just strung across the lean-to and called front porch lights…😂

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

solonan wrote: September 26th, 2022, 8:58 am
Niemand wrote: September 26th, 2022, 3:41 am Where I come from a holiday is what you call a vacation.
We call them Christmas, despite attempts to rebrand it. It's a holiday in the sense of time off, but not "the Holidays" (with a capital H) as a way of avoiding calling it Christmas.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

solonan wrote: September 26th, 2022, 8:58 am
Also called a holiday.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

We do the usual for Easter and Christmas. Christmas and the gifts…..We don’t spend very much but I have to say, I’m tired of both. I’m starting to think God rolls his eyes on our holidays because of paganism, Babylon and money.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

3 years ago I felt very impressed to study the moedim,. Particularly Passover. It was an awesome experience. This year I did a deep dive into trumpets. My family originally rolled their eyes, off on another tangent. However I send out info anyway maybe they'll learn something.😅

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

For All Hallows' Eve the children typically dress up as some sort of evil or scary character, like a witch or monster. We usually give candy to other children who trick or treat in various hideous costumes, such as Lucifer. On Thanksgiving we practice one of the seven deadly sins of gluttony. For Christmas we decorate our homes the way the sex cult of Astarte did with tinsel. We place gifts under the tree, as they did in ancient times as offerings to Ba'al.

Other than these religious based festivals, we also celebrate the United States freedom from the Mother Gentile by blowing up gun powder. All to celebrate our nations strength of bending and subjecting the rest of the world to follow our dictates.

In all seriousness Christmas is probably my favorite. My wife loves to make gingerbread houses. The most traditional thing we do every year is open one present on Christmas Eve.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

touché, my friend

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

FoundMyEden wrote: September 26th, 2022, 2:23 pm

A nice country cottage where Christmas lights hang from the eaves throughout the year. This sounds so cute and classy.

Where I come from they’re just strung across the lean-to and called front porch lights
😂
Love it! Nothing says "Home" like Christmas lights strung across the lean-to...

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

We live in a log home (for real). It is not uncommon here in Alaska. It is so beautiful to go on a walk on a winter day, through the snow, 20 below zero, see an occasional moose, and return home to glowing lights in the window, our wood burning stove blazing.

Sounds idyllic...

...actually, it is. Not going to lie.

Sometimes I forget to thank the Holy One for the majesty of His creation. How truly beautiful is this world He made.