What's your excuse for not homeschooling your children?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
bbrown
captain of 100

Re: What's your excuse for not homeschooling your children?

Post by bbrown »

They are actively talking about putting in kitty litter boxes for the furrys here. This is a really conservative rural area too. There is no good that can come from a system that even considers such foolishness.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

bbrown wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:55 pm They are actively talking about putting in kitty litter boxes for the furrys here. This is a really conservative rural area too. There is no good that can come from a system that even considers such foolishness.
Then they will have to provide an area for the free press to place their cameras.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Rubicon wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:42 pm Simple: they have way more of an impact in sharing the gospel because they go to school and are involved in things associated with school (clubs, activities, and sports). Our son had five of his friends join the church last year (he was asked to baptize two of them), and some of them followed him to college. While homeschool groups try to provide the things that schools provide, it's a hollow shell of the school experience.

They also face tough experiences that homeschoolers are shielded from. Bad situations, bad teachers, liberal indoctrination, etc. You can't be a light, a city on a hill, etc. if you forfeit the game. Our kids have been a shot in the arm for the silent majority who crave to have people stand up to stuff like this (this happened in seminary as well, with a rising CES star who was literally driven away because our well-read sons called him on woke, trendy "Saints Unscripted-style crud). The kids who silently hated it loved it, and it helped them to all stand up as Spartacus.

I went to a bad school in Chicago, but had a good education because I was a reader and came from a good family. I, and those around me, we're the better for it.
That's great that your kids thrived in the public school situation. My observation is that you are an exception to the rule. Many kids aren't able to hold out as an example throughout their school career. They are often influenced more than you may realize. For LDS people this seemed to be the biggest reason they would try to influence our family not to homeschool. Your kids need to be an influence for good...

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:36 pm
Sarah wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:16 am
Luke wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:05 am “I want to enlist the sympathies of the ladies among the Latter-day Saints, to see what we can do for ourselves with regard to schooling our children. Do not say you cannot school them, for you can.” (Brigham Young, 7 April 1873, JD 16:20)
I wouldn't mind homeschooling, but then my husband would have to agree to come home and help cook dinner, clean the house, do the laundry, and go grocery shopping. Brigham also wanted the ladies to make their own clothing and start home businesses where they were earning money. If something isn't being done, we'll just ask the women to work harder.

All the homeschooled kids I've met over the course of raising my children were always behind my own children in their academic skills. I'm sure there are exceptions, I just never have met them. The reason makes sense. The mother is not trained, does not have the same experience, has little time or must sacrifice other jobs to do and kids often don't respond as well to their parents as they would to other adults. I think it also helps to have a different location other than the home to go to.
I have been in the public school community for 6 years with my kids, was public schooled myself, and now we have been in the homeschool community for 13 years. The spectrum of kids and their academic skills goes to both ends in both types. The strongest indicator of what you find to be success is always parents who care. Overall, in testing, homeschooled kids are academically higher.
That makes sense. The parents that homeschool really care and I admire that. Most kids in public school don't have parents that value education, as much as they value sports and other activities, so you're going to have that factor in the average scores. My kids excelled in public school because we made their homework and testing a priority over all other activities. And my husband and I are nerds, so they take after us ;)

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Public school is simply satan discipleship indoctrination. Even in this remote area where junior high and high school is only 400 combined and they meet in the same building. Some teachers are quitting. This allows the school to hire retards or uneducated demons as teacher assistants to fill the vacancies. The teachers are pressured by the Teachers Union, State and Federal Departments of Education to conform or quit. Nothing besides satan's agenda will be taught. Teach it or hit the road.

So that means that there is only one possible reason for a parent to place their child in satan's disciple training; that is because that is what they want their child to learn.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

mtmom wrote: September 24th, 2022, 11:42 am
cyclOps wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:31 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:44 am Hi everyone. Please go ahead and list your excuses for not homeschooling your children here.
Do you have kids? Are they school aged? Do you homeschool them?
I did the best I could.
That’s all that matters.

Whether your kids are homeschooled or go to public school, just do the best you can as their parent. Don’t feel bad if you can’t or aren’t homeschooling them.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Shalom...

I appreciate your willingness to discuss something so important and so near and dear to my heart.

A little background...

My wife has home schooled our children for over 19 years and is a certified teacher. She has always had a deep desire to educate our children at home, and she is good at what she does.

Having said that, I work in the school district here with special needs children as well as those having behaviors due to profound complex childhood trauma of various kinds. In short, I am in classrooms nearly every day. Alaska is different in a lot of ways, not the least of which is public education. Many of our educators here are conservative.

(Recently, we had a GUN SHOW at the HIGH SCHOOL to benefit the high school. Let that sink in for a moment.)

Do we have core curriculum? Yes, but there is also a freedom of thinking that is wonderfully refreshing. When you get to the level of secondary education here, things start to get a lot more diverse. Especially within the last few years...and not in a good way. Much of the fear and outrage discussed in this thread reflects what I am seeing even here in middle and high schools, and it saddens and frustrates me.

Still...the Matanuska-Susitna Borough school district where I educate is LARGE. It covers more than 25,000 square miles (that makes it LARGER than the state of West Virginia). One school district. We have a lot of diversity. Russians, Ukranians, Native Alaskans. Each group has differing levels of access to decent education. When mom and dad are dead OR alcoholics OR on drugs OR abusive...there is not a lot of opportunity for kiddos to be home schooled. THAT is where there is still a need for public education that is done right. It is NOT easy, but there are very dedicated conservative educators here who pour their everything into loving and teaching these kids that they matter.

I cannot see the future of public education. But, I cannot imagine that it is good...even here. Still, the fight continues for good and for what is G-d breathed...even in public education to the degree we are able.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

cwass wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:34 pm
That's great that your kids thrived in the public school situation. My observation is that you are an exception to the rule. Many kids aren't able to hold out as an example throughout their school career. They are often influenced more than you may realize. For LDS people this seemed to be the biggest reason they would try to influence our family not to homeschool. Your kids need to be an influence for good...
A great many still do well and thrive. I honestly don't think we're to the "mayday, mayday, abort, abort, eject, eject" point yet --- where there is no other choice but to completely leave the system. I could see it getting to that point, but we're not there yet.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

Sarah wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:37 pm
That makes sense. The parents that homeschool really care and I admire that. Most kids in public school don't have parents that value education, as much as they value sports and other activities, so you're going to have that factor in the average scores. My kids excelled in public school because we made their homework and testing a priority over all other activities. And my husband and I are nerds, so they take after us ;)
I think we need to be careful about precision of language. I've taught since 2002, and even at "bad" schools, I wouldn't say that "most" parents don't value education as much as other things. Many are doing the best they can (or are unaware of a better way --- that's where the gospel light comes in).

I'm fortunate to now be in a heavy-LDS charter system that's large (12,000 students in 10 schools in Arizona). Most students and families are not LDS, but the leadership and ownership is, and this affects many things for the good. It's why the families flock to to in fleeting the local public districts.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:44 am Hi everyone. Please go ahead and list your excuses for not homeschooling your children here.

exactly, we home schooled our children for this very reason.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Being There wrote: September 24th, 2022, 5:23 pm

exactly, we home schooled our children for this very reason.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Rubicon wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:54 pm It's not the same experience, though. Many who recognize the drawbacks to school still believe that the overall experience is better than homeschooling.
I do wonder why more people don't seek out good charter schools instead of regular government public schools (that's literally sending them to government church). You at least have a better chance of avoiding the insanity and indoctrination at a charter school.

truefreedom
captain of 100

Post by truefreedom »

One thing a kid can learn in public school is that cow burps cause climate change.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Govt: What if we called it free babysitting so you can go work all day and make money?

I feel like that's the main purpose of govt. schools. Although admittedly they don't go quite as long as a work day. But almost.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

Parents are the best teachers. k-6 is critical information. Or at least used to be when there was only 2 sexes. I can't think of a single thing that I learned in school after the 6th grade outside of a photography class that I needed. I did take some tech classes in college. But I didn't go to get a degree. I went to take the specific classes I wanted.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Rubicon wrote: September 24th, 2022, 5:20 pm
Sarah wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:37 pm
I think we need to be careful about precision of language. I've taught since 2002, and even at "bad" schools, I wouldn't say that "most" parents don't value education as much as other things. Many are doing the best they can (or are unaware of a better way --- that's where the gospel light comes in).

I'm fortunate to now be in a heavy-LDS charter system that's large (12,000 students in 10 schools in Arizona). Most students and families are not LDS, but the leadership and ownership is, and this affects many things for the good. It's why the families flock to to in fleeting the local public districts.
One only need look to BYU to see how the church runs a school.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Not having any kids. I'd say that was kind of a biggie.

I think financial concerns would be the other reason.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Kids all grown.

Homeschooled all of ours.

Now most of my grandkid are being homeschooled as well.

When we started.

It was rare.

And almost everyone was against it.

Our kids would be ignorant.

Failures.

Losers.

Nope.

I am the biggest loser in the family.

And I went to school.

Wish I would have been homeschooled.

By me.

LOL

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Rubicon wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:54 pm It's not the same experience, though. Many who recognize the drawbacks to school still believe that the overall experience is better than homeschooling.
LOL.

Sir H

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:47 pm
Rubicon wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:42 pm Simple: they have way more of an impact in sharing the gospel because they go to school and are involved in things associated with school (clubs, activities, and sports). Our son had five of his friends join the church last year (he was asked to baptize two of them), and some of them followed him to college. While homeschool groups try to provide the things that schools provide, it's a hollow shell of the school experience.

They also face tough experiences that homeschoolers are shielded from. Bad situations, bad teachers, liberal indoctrination, etc. You can't be a light, a city on a hill, etc. if you forfeit the game. Our kids have been a shot in the arm for the silent majority who crave to have people stand up to stuff like this (this happened in seminary as well, with a rising CES star who was literally driven away because our well-read sons called him on woke, trendy "Saints Unscripted-style crud). The kids who silently hated it loved it, and it helped them to all stand up as Spartacus.

I went to a bad school in Chicago, but had a good education because I was a reader and came from a good family. I, and those around me, we're the better for it.
Most homeschool kids are in a ton of extracurricular activities and meet other kids from all walks of life. Learning instruments, gymnastics, art, sports, etc.
The answer is simple. The problem is the government. Government has no business in school. Parents of the homeschool persuasion get together and appoint a teacher and all of the children go to that home school. Like a charter school ran by parents. The Federal Department of Education did not exist until 1980. Isn't that weird? It was Reagan's gift to satan.

When people do not read the constitution and are too candy arse to rebel, they get what they deserve. But if the majority of parents of any public school pulled their kids on the same day. The school would be FORCED to close. Funding is based on attendance. The lesson here is that when you have them by the balls, their heart and mind soon follow. They just have to be reminded who is in charge.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Sarah wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:29 am
Luke wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:21 am
Luke wrote: September 24th, 2022, 10:05 am “I want to enlist the sympathies of the ladies among the Latter-day Saints, to see what we can do for ourselves with regard to schooling our children. Do not say you cannot school them, for you can.” (Brigham Young, 7 April 1873, JD 16:20)
I wouldn't mind homeschooling, but then my husband would have to agree to come home and help cook dinner, clean the house, do the laundry, and go grocery shopping. Brigham also wanted the ladies to make their own clothing and start home businesses where they were earning money. If something isn't being done, we'll just ask the women to work harder.

All the homeschooled kids I've met over the course of raising my children were always behind my own children in their academic skills. I'm sure there are exceptions, I just never have met them. The reason makes sense. The mother is not trained, does not have the same experience, has little time or must sacrifice other jobs to do and kids often don't respond as well to their parents as they would to other adults. I think it also helps to have a different location other than the home to go to.
Not sure why you had to immediately get defensive and present a feminist bent to this discussion. It seems to be a running theme.
Not sure why every time I post something you have to make it personal and call me a feminist. How am I being a feminist?
I called you a feminist because you automatically assumed the quote (not even my quote) was attacking women and putting pressure on women, when it implied nothing of the sort.

You read the same old stuff into everything posted on the forum

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Luke wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Not sure why you had to immediately get defensive and present a feminist bent to this discussion. It seems to be a running theme.
Not sure why every time I post something you have to make it personal and call me a feminist. How am I being a feminist?
I called you a feminist because you automatically assumed the quote (not even my quote) was attacking women and putting pressure on women, when it implied nothing of the sort.

Why did you post the Brigham Young quote?

The quote makes it sound like he could be asking the women to start and run a school, so the quote really has nothing to do with homeschooling, considering there wasn't even that choice in BY's day between public and home school. Everyone automatically homeschooled. He's asking the ladies to do the educating. And for some reason you liked that quote. Past experience with you gave me the impression that you like to take the male-victim, woman shaming side of the debate, so my reaction was because of that.
Last edited by Sarah on September 25th, 2022, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Sarah wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:54 pm

The quote makes it sound like he could be asking the women to start and run a school, so the quote really has nothing to do with homeschooling, considering there wasn't even that choice in BY's day between public and home school. Everyone automatically homeschooled. BY wanted something more. He's asking the ladies to do the educating. And for some reason you liked that quote. Past experience with you gave me the impression that you like to take the male-victim, woman shaming side of the debate, so my reaction was because of that.
I thought his quote was because by that point free schools had popped up and many of the saints were sending their kids there and he was warning them not to. Other denominations actually took up donations to fund schools in Utah so that they could try to coax the children away from Mormonism over time.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:02 pm

The quote makes it sound like he could be asking the women to start and run a school, so the quote really has nothing to do with homeschooling, considering there wasn't even that choice in BY's day between public and home school. Everyone automatically homeschooled. BY wanted something more. He's asking the ladies to do the educating. And for some reason you liked that quote. Past experience with you gave me the impression that you like to take the male-victim, woman shaming side of the debate, so my reaction was because of that.
I thought his quote was because by that point free schools had popped up and many of the saints were sending their kids there and he was warning them not to. Other denominations actually took up donations to fund schools in Utah so that they could try to coax the children away from Mormonism over time.
Maybe. I have no idea of the context. But I don't see anything wrong with me pointing out that women were asked by BY to do a lot of things, which is fine with me. He asked everyone to do a lot. But it's unrealistic and perhaps inappropriate to assume mothers can do all the things you'd love to see them do. Someone needs to stand up for mom, especially when the requests are coming from non-mothers.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:02 pm

I found the quote, and BY is basically saying we need to educate our own children (meaning the LDS community) and not send them to schools run by gentiles. I didn't see any mention of other denominations. But he's not talking about home schooling to the ladies. In the sentence before the quote he even says they have paid school teachers amongst themselves, and throughout the entire discourse it's evident that he is promoting working together to educate using paid teachers. The discourse is all aimed at what he wants the ladies to do in a variety of activities, including organizing school book production and saving rags for making the paper. He also wants them to start setting type. So this is about asking ladies to organize the education among the saints, with paid school teachers.