Another report of the church abusing the abused.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Another report of the church abusing the abused.

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I ran across this story on FB this morning. She was abused as a child and reported/confided this information to 17 different church leaders in private. When she went public the area authority did some very heinous acts. Unfortunately this pattern of abusing the abused is not an anomaly. Wake up people. The church is full of wolves.

Marybeth Long

FB 9.24.2022 (This is her post from yesterday)
——
Four years ago today, in the midst of recovering from surgery, I received a letter from the LDS Church in regards to going public about my childhood abuse. It started me on a path I never could have predicted at the time. In some ways it broke me . . . meeting vile humans who betray, take advantage, manipulate, prey on the vulnerable, and promise one thing and deliver nothing. However, when I can catch a glimpse the bigger picture, sharing my story is the best thing I have ever done. It has given me a voice and a lot of courage, brought understanding and closeness to my siblings, and I have been blessed with new friends and new grand adventures.

Would I start the path again despite the cost? I think so. There is still such a need for awareness, such a need to help children of every religion and every organization find safety, such a need to call out the bogus belief that it "only happens to other kids” or “it happens so rarely.” If the last four years have taught me anything . . . every child can be a victim . . . and every child deserves to be safe . . . and it happens more than we want to believe. And that is why I will never regret starting the journey.

FB 10.17.2019 (This is her post from three years ago)
———
Not a lot of my thoughts rise to the level of Facebook-post worthy. I have extremely strict criteria: snide remarks about my day, snide remarks about the Cougar Football team, or snide remarks about Utah’s ever evolving winter. I don’t take myself or Facebook very seriously.

Last year my life changed. I have needed . . . and wanted . . . to share a piece of this chapter with each of you. So bear with me . . .

I was sexually abused as a child by a member of my Church. I never forgot; never repressed it. I told my bishop at 7 and a therapist at 16. Both failed to report. Last year I confided in my 17th Church leader about the shame and guilt and self-hatred I carry and my struggle with God.

The result of sharing my story again last year created a series of events too complicated for this post. But in September 2018, I received a letter from Salt Lake City signed by my Area Authority: if I speak out about my abuse to an attorney or the press, a disciplinary court could be warranted for my apostate behavior. I was caught off guard and deeply hurt because I never even suggested such a thing.

In the ensuing 13 months, I have found my story is not all that unique. I have met many victims who share similar experiences. Any attempt to seek help or speak up is met with shame and silencing. Most victims are leaving the Church. We have an epidemic hidden in the shadows and swept under the carpet. Sexual abuse victims are being silenced by money, shame, guilt, and threats. The press is being threatened and won’t touch the stories.

I would have never believed it if I hadn’t lived it. When I opted to go public in August with an amazing reporter at a local news affiliate, my bishop and stake president were contacted by Church authorities and my private priest/penitent confessions were shared to discredit me. The Church shared my confessions - as tame as they are - with the press . . . breaking so many laws and breaking my heart. I felt so betrayed.

My story is not anti-Mormon; that has never been my desire or intent. But it IS a call for awareness. A call for change. A call for a change of policy that puts abuse victims first and foremost in every Church and every organization. A call that we can - we must - be better at protecting our children.

A special thanks to the new undercover heroes I met this year. So many of you are among them. I have been so supported by family and friends as I have found my voice and my confidence . . . and a little more courage every day. Thank you for your love and support.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Another report of the church abusing the abused.

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 25th, 2022, 8:19 am I ran across this story on FB this morning. She was abused as a child and reported/confided this information to 17 different church leaders in private. When she went public the area authority did some very heinous acts. Unfortunately this pattern of abusing the abused is not an anomaly. Wake up people. The church is full of wolves.

Marybeth Long

——
Four years ago today, in the midst of recovering from surgery, I received a letter from the LDS Church in regards to going public about my childhood abuse. It started me on a path I never could have predicted at the time. In some ways it broke me . . . meeting vile humans who betray, take advantage, manipulate, prey on the vulnerable, and promise one thing and deliver nothing. However, when I can catch a glimpse the bigger picture, sharing my story is the best thing I have ever done. It has given me a voice and a lot of courage, brought understanding and closeness to my siblings, and I have been blessed with new friends and new grand adventures.

Would I start the path again despite the cost? I think so. There is still such a need for awareness, such a need to help children of every religion and every organization find safety, such a need to call out the bogus belief that it "only happens to other kids” or “it happens so rarely.” If the last four years have taught me anything . . . every child can be a victim . . . and every child deserves to be safe . . . and it happens more than we want to believe. And that is why I will never regret starting the journey.

———
Not a lot of my thoughts rise to the level of Facebook-post worthy. I have extremely strict criteria: snide remarks about my day, snide remarks about the Cougar Football team, or snide remarks about Utah’s ever evolving winter. I don’t take myself or Facebook very seriously.

Last year my life changed. I have needed . . . and wanted . . . to share a piece of this chapter with each of you. So bear with me . . .

I was sexually abused as a child by a member of my Church. I never forgot; never repressed it. I told my bishop at 7 and a therapist at 16. Both failed to report. Last year I confided in my 17th Church leader about the shame and guilt and self-hatred I carry and my struggle with God.

The result of sharing my story again last year created a series of events too complicated for this post. But in September 2018, I received a letter from Salt Lake City signed by my Area Authority: if I speak out about my abuse to an attorney or the press, a disciplinary court could be warranted for my apostate behavior. I was caught off guard and deeply hurt because I never even suggested such a thing.

In the ensuing 13 months, I have found my story is not all that unique. I have met many victims who share similar experiences. Any attempt to seek help or speak up is met with shame and silencing. Most victims are leaving the Church. We have an epidemic hidden in the shadows and swept under the carpet. Sexual abuse victims are being silenced by money, shame, guilt, and threats. The press is being threatened and won’t touch the stories.

I would have never believed it if I hadn’t lived it. When I opted to go public in August with an amazing reporter at a local news affiliate, my bishop and stake president were contacted by Church authorities and my private priest/penitent confessions were shared to discredit me. The Church shared my confessions - as tame as they are - with the press . . . breaking so many laws and breaking my heart. I felt so betrayed.

My story is not anti-Mormon; that has never been my desire or intent. But it IS a call for awareness. A call for change. A call for a change of policy that puts abuse victims first and foremost in every Church and every organization. A call that we can - we must - be better at protecting our children.

A special thanks to the new undercover heroes I met this year. So many of you are among them. I have been so supported by family and friends as I have found my voice and my confidence . . . and a little more courage every day. Thank you for your love and support.
Lots of words but no detail; or certainly not enough for us to make anything of this story.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:19 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 25th, 2022, 8:19 am I ran across this story on FB this morning. She was abused as a child and reported/confided this information to 17 different church leaders in private. When she went public the area authority did some very heinous acts. Unfortunately this pattern of abusing the abused is not an anomaly. Wake up people. The church is full of wolves.

Marybeth Long

——

———

Lots of words but no detail; or certainly not enough for us to make anything of this story.
I would certainly ignore it as well.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Marybeth Long

——

———

I am confused by your thought process. Maybe she's lying. But what if she isn't? What if she can produce the letter? Do you just ignore anyone who says something you don't like or can't understand?

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Marybeth Long

——

———

What? You want all the sordid details? That is like digging up a manure pit. Ewww. There are many people who have been abused as children. Some find the courage to speak out (shout it from the roof tops) and for some it is too painful to openly acknowledge. It doesn't mean it never happened. And if you think the corporation that is the church will back you (when it could tarnish their name), you have another think coming!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

The simple fact that she tried to speak publicly and the church exxed her for it should send up red flags all day long. I’m sure if someone wanted the details they could find them.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:38 pm The simple fact that she tried to speak publicly and the church exxed her for it should send up red flags all day long. I’m sure if someone wanted the details they could find them.
they threatened to exx her before she even had the thought of publicly voicing her story

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Marybeth Long

——

———

She gave us one very important detail: her name. That puts her out there for hatred, snubs, and death threats. I'm sure she's gotten some of each. The Church could sue her or threaten to do so (which apparently it's done to others) if she claimed she had a letter threatening this and didn't.

By her writing she seems to be a thoughtful person who would know what was coming, so although she could be lying even with a thousand details I would guess that she isn't.

If the Church put half as much effort into helping the poor and abused as it does into building $100 million temples...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Alexander wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:47 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:38 pm The simple fact that she tried to speak publicly and the church exxed her for it should send up red flags all day long. I’m sure if someone wanted the details they could find them.
they threatened to exx her before she even had the thought of publicly voicing her story
The church is far more concerned about “protecting the good name of the church” than they are about the victims. Who the hell cares about what happens to a church leader who abused a child?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Atrasado wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:30 am

Marybeth Long

——

———

I am confused by your thought process. Maybe she's lying. But what if she isn't? What if she can produce the letter? Do you just ignore anyone who says something you don't like or can't understand?
Maybe she can... but she hasn't.
I just set my bar a little higher than hearsay. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to prefer evidence.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Another post of hers from August 14th. Check the highlight in red. Someone in church leadership really sucks.

If you've ever received a Marybeth Christmas-epistle, you'll know that brevity isn't one of my strong suits. Despite this penchant for long-winded stories, I struggled to find the right words for this post. Aside from the annual autumn heartache that accompanies being a diehard BYU football fan, I rarely open up about my grief and trials via social media. But this post is different. I have wanted to share my thoughts regarding the recent publication of two AP articles criticizing how the LDS Church deals with accusations and confessions of child sex abuse. The victims in these stories are not alone. I join my voice - and share my story - to be counted with theirs.
Since my initial post about my abuse went viral in late 2019, my life has changed. With each step and decision that has propelled me forward, I've wanted to share bits and pieces of my journey with each of you. I’ve been busy! So, please be patient with me.
I never imagined that my life would turn out the way it has. Hope for a happy, plentiful, and peaceful life was dashed by more than a decade of sexual abuse by a respected member of my LDS congregation and his pre-approved cash-paying sadists. This man stole my innocence when I was five years old. I told our bishop at age seven. At 16, I reported it to an LDS Social Services therapist. Nothing ever happened. Nobody made a single phone call. This (lack of) church response was not - and is not - a blip. Nor was it the result of one careless bishop. I have met too many victims with similar stories to ever believe it was a fluke. The recent AP stories are not the first and they won’t be last.
After a series of events too complicated for this post, I received an official letter from the church's upper echelon in 2018. It threatened me with potential disciplinary action if I chose to publicize the failure of church officials to respond to my abuse. I was being forced to make a decision. If I spoke up, I'd risk losing my identity, eternity with my family, my religious culture, and the life I'd worked so hard to build. Do I discover my voice and heal? Or do I remain silent and maintain my faith? No survivor or advocate should ever have to make this choice.
That 2018 letter broke me. It also gave me the courage to heal. My abuser is deceased, my childhood church has been torn down, and the deadline for any legal recourse has passed, but that hasn’t discouraged me from going forward and sharing my truth. After submitting a police report in early 2021, I was asked to meet with Las Vegas Metro cold case detectives several times, my evidence was collected and authenticated, and my file was turned over to a district attorney for review. I've spoken with two Associated Press reporters about my case, made a YouTube video for a Dr. Phil producer, and am nearly finished writing a book.
I'll be returning to Las Vegas in the coming weeks, this time with a freelance filmmaker who has been interviewing me and documenting my story for over a year. An all-about-MB documentary doesn't seem very binge-worthy to me, so I'm glad he has the foresight, imagination, creativity, and determination to make it happen.
I'm occasionally asked if I'd go public again, given the emotional cost, as well as the hatred I’ve encountered from those who hide behind social media, spew lies, and delight in my destruction. Would I do it again knowing the church released my confessions to the press and called me a fraud to shame and silence me? I have spent my entire life hiding and smothering my voice. Silence steals time, and it has stolen far too much of mine. This November marks 40 years since I first reported - roughly 2080 Sundays of living the consequences of a bishop's deplorable decision. I've discovered my voice and am now aware of its potential power. My odyssey to reclaim my identity has been far from impeccable, but I’m not going anywhere.
My message is not anti-LDS; that will never be my intention or desire. Instead, I hope my message can be seen as a rallying cry. A rallying cry for action. A rallying cry for change. A sobering reminder that we can and must do better to safeguard our children. If you combine one terrible bishop with 99 good ones who choose to remain silent and turn a blind eye, all you have is a room full of 100 terrible bishops. Stand up and be counted, people. It's time. Take a stand. Spread the word.
Join us, won’t you?
I was a victim.
Now I am a foot soldier in this war.
I was weak.
Now I am strong.
Join us.
Be a foot soldier.
Fight -
wherever you can,
as hard as you can,
for as long as you can.
The time is now.
The place is here.
The person is you.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on September 26th, 2022, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

It’s unfortunate she didn’t save all the evidence from her childhood molestations. The fingerprints, bodily fluids, tapes, rape kits, etc.
Something that a lot of other children do to catch their perpetrators.
Haven’t you heard?

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Mamabear wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:43 pm It’s unfortunate she didn’t save all the evidence from her childhood molestations. The fingerprints, bodily fluids, tapes, rape kits, etc.
Something that a lot of other children do to catch their perpetrators.
Haven’t you heard?
No one is expecting this from her.

However, where's the letter she allegedly received threatening her with excommunication if she went public? Where are these confessions the church allegedly publicized to discredit her?

She needs to produce some actual evidence to back up her claims. Without evidence this is looking like a tall tale.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Robin Hood wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:07 pm

Marybeth Long

——

———

I just set my bar a little higher than hearsay. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to prefer evidence.
Hearsay is s legal term that indicates someone is not personally involved but merely told of something. Hearsay is typically not admissible evidence in criminal proceedings.

When someone who was personally involved, as this woman was, in the events in question what they say is termed testimony and it is admissible in court.

I'm inclined to believe this woman's testimony because it fits with the pattern of many, many prior Church actions.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Atrasado wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Hearsay is s legal term that indicates someone is not personally involved but merely told of something. Hearsay is typically not admissible evidence in criminal proceedings.

When someone who was personally involved, as this woman was, in the events in question what they say is termed testimony and it is admissible in court.

I'm inclined to believe this woman's testimony because it fits with the pattern of many, many prior Church actions.
She is apparently claiming a third party, in this case a church representative, communicated information to her. However, she has produced no evidence to support the details of the communication she claims occured.
Therefore, it is hearsay at this stage.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Robin Hood wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:45 pm
She is apparently claiming a third party, in this case a church representative, communicated information to her. However, she has produced no evidence to support the details of the communication she claims occured.
This is from her FB post. Snippets of the letter are in the collage.
Attachments
0342E130-4639-4B84-8EB1-9C6945EA85EB.jpeg
0342E130-4639-4B84-8EB1-9C6945EA85EB.jpeg (423.58 KiB) Viewed 954 times

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:50 pm
This is from her FB post. Snippets of the letter are in the collage.
That's not going to cut it. We need to be able to see the full letter. For all we know she made that up. And if that snippet is from a legit letter, we need to see the full context.

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Post by zionssuburb »

Yep, that's my response now, on Facebook, on Tiktok, etc... produce the letter or it didn't happen (not the abuse, the threat from the A70)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Then do a little research on your own if you cared to. I just find most members don’t even bother to research any of this.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Why should I do research to back up her accusations?

If she is waging a public campaign to persuade people to believe her, then she must produce the evidence and arguments to convince us. She didn't convince me.

I read enough to see I am not interested. Too easy to make those accusations up (knowingly or not) and her story sounds too familiar to another story that was proved false.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I’ve witnessed the predators among us. They’re everywhere though. The one I know is serving life in prison and no member did anything to try and protect or shield this man, he got what he deserved.

I have also seen false accusation where people’s loves were drug through the mud due to false accusations.

Some of these tales come from hypnosis and I don’t trust things like that.

But the predators are so sick and so skilled that you really do have to take everything seriously especially since so many victims are terrified into silence.

It’s a hard, hard thing. We believe that someone is innocent until proven guilty under the law. We also know that far too many sickos get away with their disgusting perversions.

We have to be vigilant.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I hate to say it.and I could be wrong. But if the perpetrator was some no name councilor in a YM presidency, I don't think you would have seen such a "circle the wagons" response from the church. Makes me wonder if the accused was a general authority?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

This statement alone from the letter should shed light on the fallen nature of the LDS church: “…pursue any legal or public avenues that bring embarrassment to the Church…”

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

tribrac wrote: September 26th, 2022, 12:08 am Why should I do research to back up her accusations?

If she is waging a public campaign to persuade people to believe her, then she must produce the evidence and arguments to convince us. She didn't convince me.

I read enough to see I am not interested. Too easy to make those accusations up (knowingly or not) and her story sounds too familiar to another story that was proved false.
According to the post she made on Aug. 14th, there will be more information coming forward. She said she's almost done writing a book about the experiences she's had as well as a freelance filmmaker who is interviewing her for a documentary.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Atrasado wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Parties involved in communications aren't third parties to those communications. Since the letter was sent to her and she read it, she is still a witness to the letter so her reporting it isn't hearsay, it's testimony.

Also, there's a picture of some of it for you to look at if you want. It looks like I would expect it to, and it sure has the sound of an official priesthood communication. What is so unbelievable about it?