Poll: How was the Earth made? (See notes below)

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

How was the Earth made? (see notes)

Atheistic evolution
4%
Theistic evolution
33%
Young Earth creation
26%
Old Earth creation
30%
Other
7%

Total votes: 54
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Poll: How was the Earth made? (See notes below)

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:15 am
Niemand wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 4:38 pm There is allegedly a massive city to the north west of Cuba... the only thing is that it's a long way down and the Cuban authorities don't like anyone investigating what's really down there (or not).
Fascinating. I've not heard of that one.

I'm reading Underworld by Graham Hancock. He focuses more on Malta and India, but does mention a few other places (like Japan). The book is essentially about underwater ruins.
For once there is a half decent Wikipedia article on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_und ... _formation

This is one claimed sonar reading. I don't know if it is accurate.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

How was the Earth made? -----

I'll go with some crackle, leggos and a quart of Aether. The Aether powers up the projector and the Leggos assembly is drawn on the film. Viola! A magnificent projection.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Niemand wrote: September 21st, 2022, 5:42 am Another poll adapted from a Christian website.

Notes: by creation here, I am including the notion that the Earth was reorganised from pre-existing matter, not necessarily as a planet. I am aware of the shortcomings of these labels in an LDS context. If you want to argue something else, please feel free to below.

Theistic evolution means evolution which is guided by God. This guidance means the development of this world took place over a long time. Old Earth creation below means a similar thing in terms of long timescales but with a creation not evolution.

Atheistic evolution means not guided by God (mainstream science). This is probably the user Whitesalamander's view.

Young Earth creation means that this world is only a few thousand years old but is down to God.

Old Earth creation means that this world is much older (tens of thousands of years over to billions of years) but still due to God.

There are other ideas on top of this such as simulation theory.
I am kind of surprised to see "theistic evolution" here. That's how I think it went down IMO.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Subcomandante wrote: September 24th, 2022, 4:37 pm
Niemand wrote: September 21st, 2022, 5:42 am Another poll adapted from a Christian website.

Notes: by creation here, I am including the notion that the Earth was reorganised from pre-existing matter, not necessarily as a planet. I am aware of the shortcomings of these labels in an LDS context. If you want to argue something else, please feel free to below.

Theistic evolution means evolution which is guided by God. This guidance means the development of this world took place over a long time. Old Earth creation below means a similar thing in terms of long timescales but with a creation not evolution.

Atheistic evolution means not guided by God (mainstream science). This is probably the user Whitesalamander's view.

Young Earth creation means that this world is only a few thousand years old but is down to God.

Old Earth creation means that this world is much older (tens of thousands of years over to billions of years) but still due to God.

I am kind of surprised to see "theistic evolution" here. That's how I think it went down IMO.
I think there are quite a few such people around. I think my parents probably fitted into that category along with many people they went to (non-LDS) church with.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Since a man can have his legs blown off and go to the other side and see he is perfectly whole 'again' evidences the unreality of this "place". Physical men are avatars. Spiritual men are the real. If, in the future, the spirit is eternally bonded with flesh, then that will be something very different. For now, it's Virtual Reality. No one dies here and no one is ever injured.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FrankOne wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Since a man can have his legs blown off and go to the other side and see he is perfectly whole 'again' evidences the unreality of this "place". Physical men are avatars. Spiritual men are the real. If, in the future, the spirit is eternally bonded with flesh, then that will be something very different. For now, it's Virtual Reality. No one dies here and no one is ever injured.
We can still feel pain here. That much is real.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:43 pm For once there is a half decent Wikipedia article on it.

Wow! I've not seen anything that clear before.

I find it interesting how many places have pyramids - some pointed on top and some flat on top. It makes me wonder if there was something pre-flood or, perhaps right after it, that factored into the desire to build such things.

One theory I've read is that they may have been sources of power. Fascinating if that were true.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

FrankOne wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:55 pm Since a man can have his legs blown off and go to the other side and see he is perfectly whole 'again' evidences the unreality of this "place". Physical men are avatars. Spiritual men are the real. If, in the future, the spirit is eternally bonded with flesh, then that will be something very different. For now, it's Virtual Reality. No one dies here and no one is ever injured.
FrankOne wrote: September 24th, 2022, 4:32 pm A magnificent projection.
I don't recall which video it was, but one of Bruce Lipton's videos talks about when he started being spiritual, vs being atheistic. From life is a bunch of chemicals and when it dies, that's it. Nothing else. To "holy cow! I don't die, even though the body does!"

His stance is that we (the real we) are projections, projected into this matrix much like a signal is transmitted to a television set. When the set breaks (body dies), the transmission (our spirits/our real selves) still exists.

Niemand wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:22 pm We can still feel pain here. That much is real.
The pain, both physical and mental/emotional is very real to us. We are completely in here, even though the only pain that will follow us out of this life is regret, joy, etc.

Interesting how some people can reach a point of not only not being attached, but not feeling the fears and pain that the majority of the world feels. (I'm thinking of genuine gurus and some holy men [three Nephites], not the pretenders.)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:48 pm
Niemand wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:43 pm For once there is a half decent Wikipedia article on it.

Wow! I've not seen anything that clear before.

I find it interesting how many places have pyramids - some pointed on top and some flat on top. It makes me wonder if there was something pre-flood or, perhaps right after it, that factored into the desire to build such things.

One theory I've read is that they may have been sources of power. Fascinating if that were true.
I don't know if this is an authentic picture or not. But there's something down there and ìt's near Cuba so none of us are getting near it.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:16 pm I don't know if this is an authentic picture or not. But there's something down there and ìt's near Cuba so none of us are getting near it.
It looks awfully clear to be authentic. But I guess we won't know since no one can go there and look. I've never seen an above water picture of underwater items so clear, sonar or otherwise.

One of the problems with diving down to look at ruins is that the silt gets kicked up when the divers move around. Another thing is that the pictures aren't always very clear for many reasons (the silt getting kicked up, turbulent waters, being so far down that sunlight doesn't give much light, cloudy skies).

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Niemand wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:22 pm
FrankOne wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:55 pm

We can still feel pain here. That much is real.
indeed and very true. Now the question comes: "Is it me that is in pain or is it something that I am choosing to identify with?" Albeit a bit abstract, my concept of this is that we cannot suffer as children of God because we are perfect children and to suffer would be a violation of that perfection. So...how is it that we seem to suffer? Consider yourself in a future world where you have a VR headset on while wearing a sensory body suit as well as an interlink chip which connects your brain to the VR. Not hard to believe that because it's already being done today.

In the VR, you as an image, gets hit with a bat. Is it you that got hit with the bat? Yet you feel it. Now...why did you feel it? The VR character got injured and the matrix computer assigned values of pain and YOU, the real you, chose to feel what the computer sent to you. You did not initially experience the pain , the computer coded it as pain and then you identified with the code BY CHOICE.

For some, this life is about re-discovering the unfallen state of the Garden of Eden. The only reason that we aren't in the Garden now is we believe we cannot return to it. The ideas of sin and guilt stop us cold. The gift of Christ has been given, yet we do not yet understand how to accept it.

The removal of the VR goggles begins when we question our own pain and more specifically, our negative reactions.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 4:38 pm There is allegedly a massive city to the north west of Cuba... the only thing is that it's a long way down and the Cuban authorities don't like anyone investigating what's really down there (or not).
I just discovered Graham Hancock's book mentions, in chapter 24, a possible underwater city off Cuba.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

It is interesting that in the creation accounts in Genesis, Moses, and Abraham that we learn the seven days of creation were actually 1000 years of our time. When the days of creation mentioned in scripture occur, Adam and Eve had not yet received their time of reckoning.

Abraham 3:4
4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.

Abraham 5:13
13 But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the time that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die. Now I, Abraham, saw that it was after the Lord’s time, which was after the time of Kolob; for as yet the Gods had not appointed unto Adam his reckoning.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The seven days of creation came prior to God commanding Adam and Eve to not partake of the forbidden fruit. At the time Adam and Eve were commanded to not partake of the forbidden fruit, they had not yet received their own time of reckoning. Thus they were still under the time of Kolob, 1 day = 1000 years. We know from scripture that Adam lived to be 930 years. However, the Gods told Adam that he would die the very day he partook of the forbidden fruit. Thus if God were telling the truth, the reckoning of when Adam would die was according to the time of Kolob. It is interesting that not one man has ever lived more than 1000 years that has not been translated.

It is also interesting that the actual creation of the earth, ie the coming together of the elements of the earth does not occur within the 7 days of creation but only tells us that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". In other words we don't know when the elements of the earth came together to form the earth. It could be that God used the earth as a prior world or took sections of the earth from other worlds, we just don't know. All we know is that it was created in "THE BEGINNING". It is also interesting that it wasn't until the fourth day of creation that the earth was brought into proximity with the sun and moon. Thus at a bare minimum the reckoning of the first 3 days of creation had to be according to another time of reckoning.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I, also, have noticed that Adam died before the day was done, reckoning according to God's time - and that no mortal has made it to a full day (1,000 years).
onefour1 wrote: September 28th, 2022, 6:59 pm It is interesting that in the creation accounts in Genesis, Moses, and Abraham that we learn the seven days of creation were actually 1000 years of our time. When the days of creation mentioned in scripture occur, Adam and Eve had not yet received their time of reckoning.

Abraham 3:4
4 And the Lord said unto me, by the Urim and Thummim, that Kolob was after the manner of the Lord, according to its times and seasons in the revolutions thereof; that one revolution was a day unto the Lord, after his manner of reckoning, it being one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest. This is the reckoning of the Lord’s time, according to the reckoning of Kolob.

Abraham 5:13
13 But of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it; for in the time that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die. Now I, Abraham, saw that it was after the Lord’s time, which was after the time of Kolob; for as yet the Gods had not appointed unto Adam his reckoning.

2 Peter 3:8
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The seven days of creation came prior to God commanding Adam and Eve to not partake of the forbidden fruit. At the time Adam and Eve were commanded to not partake of the forbidden fruit, they had not yet received their own time of reckoning. Thus they were still under the time of Kolob, 1 day = 1000 years. We know from scripture that Adam lived to be 930 years. However, the Gods told Adam that he would die the very day he partook of the forbidden fruit. Thus if God were telling the truth, the reckoning of when Adam would die was according to the time of Kolob. It is interesting that not one man has ever lived more than 1000 years that has not been translated.

It is also interesting that the actual creation of the earth, ie the coming together of the elements of the earth does not occur within the 7 days of creation but only tells us that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". In other words we don't know when the elements of the earth came together to form the earth. It could be that God used the earth as a prior world or took sections of the earth from other worlds, we just don't know. All we know is that it was created in "THE BEGINNING". It is also interesting that it wasn't until the fourth day of creation that the earth was brought into proximity with the sun and moon. Thus at a bare minimum the reckoning of the first 3 days of creation had to be according to another time of reckoning.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Tonight, I was reading in Hancock's book about the bimini road, located off Florida. Not only did they dive several times, they chartered a plane and could see it under the water from the air.

Since the cuban underwater ruins are not far from there, I think it is probable that the photo you shared was real.
Niemand wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:43 pm
Silver Pie wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:15 am
Fascinating. I've not heard of that one.

I'm reading Underworld by Graham Hancock. He focuses more on Malta and India, but does mention a few other places (like Japan). The book is essentially about underwater ruins.
For once there is a half decent Wikipedia article on it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:07 am Tonight, I was reading in Hancock's book about the bimini road, located off Florida. Not only did they dive several times, they chartered a plane and could see it under the water from the air.

Since the cuban underwater ruins are not far from there, I think it is probable that the photo you shared was real.
It appears it has been happening in the Caribbean more recently with a former City of Sin and slavery.

From Unesco site plus
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/und ... -ruins.htm
Along with the rest of Jamaica, Port Royal was seized by the British in 1655. The settlement was a boom town, a major commerce hub loaded with privateers (who were basically government-commissioned pirates). In the year 1692, Port Royal had a population of somewhere between 6,500 and 10,000 residents — including thousands of slaves.
Disaster struck that summer. On June 7, 1692, just before noon, an earthquake rocked Port Royal. Then it was hit with a monstrous tidal wave. Around 30 acres (or 12 hectares) of buildings, streets and tombstones slid into the ocean.
Rev. Dr. Heath, rector of Port Royal recalled, "we heard the Church and Tower fall, upon which we ran to save ourselves; I...made towards Morgan's Fort, because being a wide open place I thought to be there securest from the falling houses; but as I made towards it, I saw the earth open and swallow a multitude of people; and the sea mounting in upon us over the fortification."
Of the original 51 acres, 20 sank to a depth of 10 feet and 13 slid to a depth of 35 feet. Two thousand people died immediately and a further 3000 died of injuries and disease shortly after.
With its soldiers, sailors, slaves, pirates and prostitutes, it is little wonder that Port Royal had a reputation for bawdiness and amusement. Attending church was a social diversion as much as a spiritual activity. Other forms of recreation included playing dominoes or strolling down the Palisadoes in the evenings. In town, dne could frequent any of the numerous inns and taverns. Some establishments held cock-fighting or bull and bear baiting and several had billiards rooms. The census of 1680 also mentions a brothel establishment belonging to a John Stan; containing 21 white women and two black women
Another significant aspect of Port Royal during this time is the role it played as the hub for pirates in the West Indies. This brief but dynamic era in human history resulted from illegitimate but lucrative opportunities for common seamen to attack European merchant ships and seize their valuable cargo. Piracy was sometimes given "legal" status by colonial powers, especially England and the Netherlands. Known as "privateering," contracts or letters of marque were awarded to ship captains who were then permitted to raid enemy strongholds in the name of the Crown. The term "Buccaneers" was also used to describes those privateers localized to the Caribbean who attacked the Spanish, French and Dutch ships.
Some of the famous buccaneers based at Port Royal included Henry Morgan, Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach and 'Calico Jack' Rackham.
As evidenced by the various probate inventories and material artifacts recovered from the underwater city, the citizens were consuming a large number of items for luxury and not simply necessity. Materials such as secular books, silver plate, spices, porcelain and fine cloth could all be found in Port Royal. Furthermore, the prevalence and consumption of these luxury items here was not matched by comparable groups in England or North America for another 20 to 40 years. This suggests that unique social and historical circumstances at Port Royal facilitated the early adoption of consumerist behaviour which was later transferred widely throughout the English-colonial world.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Wow! I had no idea.
That brings to heart the prophecies of destruction that are probably almost upon us.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »