Russell M. Nelson turns 98 today

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Russell M. Nelson turns 98 today

Post by Cruiserdude »

I'll help eryone out and copy and paste some of those 98 statements of counsel this article you linked shares:
In honor of President Nelson’s 98th birthday, following are 98 pieces of counsel, listed in random order, that he has shared as the leader of the Church:

1. “The temple is central to your spiritual foundation.”

2. “I have complete faith in you.”

3. “The power of Jesus Christ will heal us, strengthen us, comfort us and renew us.”

4. “Seek truth.”

5. “Make covenants with God and keep them.”

6. “Whatever your concerns, whatever your challenges, there is a place for you in this, the Lord’s Church.”

7. “As you make your testimony your highest priority, watch for miracles to happen in your life.”

8. “Never forget that the Restoration of the gospel commenced so that all men and women might know that it is true!”

9. “The name of the Church is not negotiable.”

10. “Your potential is divine.”

11. “Are you willing to let God prevail in your life? Are you willing to let God be the most important influence in your life?”

12. “Spend more time in the temple and in family history work.”

13. Remember “God loves all of His children and has a vision for each of us.”

14. “Resolve to strengthen your spiritual foundation.”

15. “Resolve to be kind to others.”

16. “Resolve to be resolute.”

17. “Take charge of your testimony of Jesus Christ.”

18. “The Lord does not require perfect faith for us to have access to His perfect power. But He does ask us to believe.”

19. “We call upon people everywhere to pray for those in need, to do what they can to help the distressed, and to seek the Lord’s help in ending any major conflicts.”

20. “Know the truth about who you are.”

21. “Know the truth about what Heavenly Father and His Son have offered you.”

22. “Know the truth related to your conversion.”

23. “You are literally spirit children of God.”

24. “It is now time that we each implement extraordinary measures — perhaps measures we have never taken before — to strengthen our personal spiritual foundations.”

25. “We are witnesses to a process of restoration. If you think the Church has been fully restored, you are just seeing the beginning.

26. “Give thanks.”

27. “Though our world is filled with serious challenges, I am optimistic about the future and confident about the fundamental goodness of humankind.”

28. “We live in the most vibrant era in the history of the world.”

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Cruiserdude wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:00 am
I'll help eryone out and copy and paste some of those 98 statements of counsel this article you linked shares:
In honor of President Nelson’s 98th birthday, following are 98 pieces of counsel, listed in random order, that he has shared as the leader of the Church:

3. “The power of Jesus Christ will heal us, strengthen us, comfort us and renew us.”

4. “Seek truth.”

6. “Whatever your concerns, whatever your challenges, there is a place for you in this, the Lord’s Church.”

7. “As you make your testimony your highest priority, watch for miracles to happen in your life.”

8. “Never forget that the Restoration of the gospel commenced so that all men and women might know that it is true!”

11. “Are you willing to let God prevail in your life? Are you willing to let God be the most important influence in your life?”

18. “The Lord does not require perfect faith for us to have access to His perfect power. But He does ask us to believe.”

19. “We call upon people everywhere to pray for those in need, to do what they can to help the distressed, and to seek the Lord’s help in ending any major conflicts.”

24. “It is now time that we each implement extraordinary measures — perhaps measures we have never taken before — to strengthen our personal spiritual foundations.”

25. “We are witnesses to a process of restoration. If you think the Church has been fully restored, you are just seeing the beginning.

26. “Give thanks.”

27. “Though our world is filled with serious challenges, I am optimistic about the future and confident about the fundamental goodness of humankind.”

Interesting, only one of those 98 included the word "repent."

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:03 am

4. “Seek truth.”

26. “Give thanks.”

Yeah, they're pretty much what I'd expect....par for the course.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:03 am

4. “Seek truth.”

26. “Give thanks.”

What do you think should be the ratio between the repent and non-repent ones, considering this is a list of 98 pieces of counsel given by Russell M Nelson since becoming president of the church?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

cyclOps wrote: September 16th, 2022, 9:28 am
What do you think should be the ratio between the repent and non-repent ones, considering this is a list of 98 pieces of counsel given by Russell M Nelson since becoming president of the church?
A careful study of the scriptures shows plenty of examples where ancient prophets prophesied of the wickedness in the last days. And they give very specific examples as to where and how we need to repent. That would be a good start to at minimum point out the wickedness in our day.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:07 am
A careful study of the scriptures shows plenty of examples where ancient prophets prophesied of the wickedness in the last days. And they give very specific examples as to where and how we need to repent. That would be a good start to at minimum point out the wickedness in our day.
Prophets in our scriptures stood before leaders of nations and listed the specific sins which they needed to repent of in order to avoid the wrath of God. Today, that standard is replaced by young men and women teaching regular people the gospel in the streets and in their homes. I guess this frees up our prophet and apostles to watch CNN and find out about what we need to be afraid of and comply with. Maybe even have some time to skii and visit members in Sunday meetings to give them flattering regurgitations.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

You didn’t answer my question.

So Russell M Nelson doesn’t point out the wickedness in our day the way you wish he would? From my perspective, he does point out the wickedness, rather in an encouraging and optimistic way. He mainly focuses on the commandments and blessings, not the sin its consequence.

If there’s something in the righteous counsel Russell M Nelson has gives that I’m not but ought to be doing, then that’s a call to repentance to me. That’s pointing out my wickedness.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

cyclOps wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:11 pm

So Russell M Nelson doesn’t point out the wickedness in our day the way you wish he would? From my perspective, he does point out the wickedness, rather in an encouraging and optimistic way. He mainly focuses on the commandments and blessings, not the sin its consequence.

If there’s something in the righteous counsel Russell M Nelson has gives that I’m not but ought to be doing, then that’s a call to repentance to me. That’s pointing out my wickedness.
I did answer your question. You just didn't like the answer.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:41 pm

I did answer your question. You just didn't like the answer.
You didn’t like 1/98 so I asked what you think an acceptable ratio would be.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Still not liking my answer huh...

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

As you point out it's been stated over and over ad nauseam for centuries...obviously people haven't and aren't listening...

Pleaded in 2018 to get ourselves in personal relationship with Father above...
If we are to have any hope of sifting through the myriad of voices and the philosophies of men that attack truth, we must learn to receive revelation.

Our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, will perform some of His mightiest works between now and when He comes again. We will see miraculous indications that God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, preside over this Church in majesty and glory. But in coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost.

My beloved brothers and sisters, I plead with you to increase your spiritual capacity to receive revelation. Let this Easter Sunday be a defining moment in your life. Choose to do the spiritual work required to enjoy the gift of the Holy Ghost and hear the voice of the Spirit more frequently and more clearly.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng
It has never been more imperative to know how the Spirit speaks to you than right now. Do whatever it takes to increase your spiritual capacity to receive personal revelation.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... n?lang=eng

Church used to dabble in politics when it was far less detrimental...
Ignoring President Grant’s objections, Utah cast the deciding vote to repeal Prohibition. An unhappy President Grant remarked that some members who sang “We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet” seemed to add the words, “provided he keeps his mouth shut politically.”

And then there is this...
Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

You guys set the bar pretty low. I mean, I can quote the BoM itself and find far more scathing rebukes. Problem is, much of it is directed squarely at church leaders.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 6:55 pm You guys set the bar pretty low. I mean, I can quote the BoM itself and find far more scathing rebukes. Problem is, much of it is directed squarely at church leaders.
Still not liking our answers, huh?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 4:06 pm Not yet... :)
:) You've got a point.

Narnia wrote: September 15th, 2022, 5:06 pmSo, my point was that the prophets in the Lord’s restored church continually received revelations from God in different times according to the circumstances to guide and lead his church. The answer cannot always be found in the scriptures whether it’s Bible, Book of Mormon, D& C or Pearl of Great Price
Thank you for your explanation. Now I know where you were coming from, and I totally agree.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 16th, 2022, 6:55 pm You guys set the bar pretty low. I mean, I can quote the BoM itself and find far more scathing rebukes. Problem is, much of it is directed squarely at church leaders.
Oh you could probably find plenty applicable to yourself...if you tried...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Jason wrote: September 18th, 2022, 3:15 pm
Oh, that’s right, that part from Brigham about the nations brining upon themselves the condemnation of God if they don’t accept/live polygamy.

I also like that part from Nelson about being “good global citizens.” Or maybe I need to refer to the pope as “his highness.” Or go hang out at his pad for “33 minutes” like Deseret News reported. Or where Uchtdorf praised Agenda 2030. I’ll keep looking.

Just remember, “stay in the boat.” We can “never be led astray.”
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on September 25th, 2022, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 18th, 2022, 3:38 pm
Oh, that’s right, that part from Brigham about the nations brining upon themselves the condemnation of God if they don’t accept/live polygamy.

I also like that part from Nelson about being “good global citizens.” Or maybe I need to refer to the pope as “his highness.” Or go hang out at his pad for “33 minutes” life Deseret News reported. Or where Uchtdorf praised Agenda 2030. I’ll keep looking.

Good ship Zion!!!

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Jason wrote: September 18th, 2022, 3:57 pm

I also like that part from Nelson about being “good global citizens.” Or maybe I need to refer to the pope as “his highness.” Or go hang out at his pad for “33 minutes” life Deseret News reported. Or where Uchtdorf praised Agenda 2030. I’ll keep looking.

Good ship Zion!!!
has sunk !

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Being There wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:39 pm
Jason wrote: September 18th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Good ship Zion!!!
has sunk !
for some...

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 15th, 2022, 4:06 pm
Silver Pie wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:26 pmSo what if Zion is in the Rocky Mountains and not in Missouri (the scriptures talk about the tops of the mountains; Missouri doesn't have mountains)?
Not yet... :)
This was a very short reply, but I've thought a lot about it recently. Truly, God can do anything, and the prophecies are that mountains are made low and valleys are exalted (lifted up).

Erastothenes
captain of 100

Post by Erastothenes »

EmmaLee wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:12 am Didn't he throw himself a great big huge Conference Center birthday bash this year?! Must be mellowing out in his old age.
Oh, just wait until hes 100. Ensign Peaks total value will drop by at least 25% on order to fund that fiesta.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Luke wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:05 am Hard to imagine that Joseph Smith was in his early twenties when he was beginning the Work when you consider the state of things today.
Makes me wonder what happened with calling uneducated, impoverished farm boys. All we've got now are highly paid, highly educated millionaires.

Matt 19:23 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Old age does not disqualify a man from being a prophet. Calling satan's juice a godsend does though.

You are 100% (that is totally) wrong about me being wicked for not following RMNs advice to get jabbed.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Well, he did say "righteous counsel," Fred, and that definitely wasn't righteous (not sure it was counsel as much as gaslighting, but, anyway . . . ).

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Silver Pie wrote: August 31st, 2023, 7:49 pm Well, he did say "righteous counsel," Fred, and that definitely wasn't righteous (not sure it was counsel as much as gaslighting, but, anyway . . . ).
Most members took it as a commandment. Follow the profit's example is considered far more than a mere suggestion. Those with brains took it as gibberish from a bumbling fool, or advice from satan. You are right that his counsel was not righteous. Actually, it was pure evil. Mormons do not worship the same god as Russell. Unless they follow his advice.